HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

John Erskine to Montreal

Old
07-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Beendair Donedat

vCash: 500
John Erskine to Montreal

With Washington being over the cap would Erskine be available? If so what would the Capitals want for him? Draft pick? Roster player?

As a Habs fan I'd love to have him on the blueline.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 11:27 AM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
Here we go again....

The Caps are not over the Cap. If you want John Erskine, fine. Let's discuss fair trade value. But starting off by implying that the Caps would be happy for a bag of pucks for anyone not named Ovechkin just so they can get under the Cap is disingenuous.

If the Caps make any trade it will be one that improves the team from their point of view. They don't need to make bad trades to dump salary.

XDC-RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 11:30 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

No reason for him to suddenly be expendable from the Caps POV. Especially if Poti is still sidelined.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 11:42 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Until Poti proves he actually can play (and depending on who you believe it sounds like that day might be far away) Erskine probably isn't available. The Caps really don't have and true NHL-ready #8, not one that they could afford to keep as their full-time #7 (assuming Poti is out of the picture that is). McNeill still has no NHL experience and Orlov is someone they won't want to rush.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 11:51 AM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDC-RES View Post
Here we go again....

The Caps are not over the Cap. If you want John Erskine, fine. Let's discuss fair trade value. But starting off by implying that the Caps would be happy for a bag of pucks for anyone not named Ovechkin just so they can get under the Cap is disingenuous.

If the Caps make any trade it will be one that improves the team from their point of view. They don't need to make bad trades to dump salary.
I was taking my information from cap geek which indicates that they are over the cap. Regardless, what do you feel would be fair value for Erskine?

Old
07-25-2011, 12:10 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
I was taking my information from cap geek which indicates that they are over the cap. Regardless, what do you feel would be fair value for Erskine?
His value is hard to judge. But to the Caps he is their only legit heavy weight and only true "hitter" that brings pain on D (tho Wideman and Green do finish their checks). He probably makes a bit too much and is probably a very subpar NHL skater and has very few stick skills.

Personally I wouldn't trade him unless they can sign a very similar player assuredly. He fills a very big need on the Caps even tho he may not dress every game this upcoming season.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 12:40 PM
ccgg

Quote:
With Washington being over the cap would Erskine be available? If so what would the Capitals want for him? Draft pick? Roster player?

As a Habs fan I'd love to have him on the blueline.
If we want a tough #6-7 d-man, why not just sign Paul Mara without giving assets. And Mara know the team, the system, the city.

ccgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgg View Post
If we want a tough #6-7 d-man, why not just sign Paul Mara without giving assets. And Mara know the team, the system, the city.
Because Erskine is tougher, bigger and can handle Lucic. Mara doesn't scare anyone, Erskine is a real threat.

Old
07-25-2011, 01:11 PM
I Am The Mole
DERPINGTON DERPITALS

As far as #7 dmen go, and speaking strictly of only #7 dmen, Erskine is one of the toughest and most physical. He just came off a career year for himself as far as points, goals and ice time.

He's been a + player almost his entire time on the Capitals, and this year did it in 73 games played. I'm personally inclined to keep him. Especially with Bradley gone and King likely demoted/waived/traded. Erks and Hendricks are the only brawlers left that see it necessary to have the teams back.

I Am The Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:15 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Mole View Post
As far as #7 dmen go, and speaking strictly of only #7 dmen, Erskine is one of the toughest and most physical. He just came off a career year for himself as far as points, goals and ice time.

He's been a + player almost his entire time on the Capitals, and this year did it in 73 games played. I'm personally inclined to keep him. Especially with Bradley gone and King likely demoted/waived/traded. Erks and Hendricks are the only brawlers left that see it necessary to have the teams back.
I'm hoping Brouwer and Ward have something to say about that too.

As for Erskine, probably not going anywhere. If the Caps move a defenseman it'd more likely be Schultz and his bigger contract (to make room to sign Hannan, of course ). Losing a defenseman outright leaves the Caps too shallow.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:18 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
We already have 7 d's right now, doesn't make sense unless a D is going the other way. I doubt we make a move defensively until the start of the season, I'm sure management will want to see Emelin in action before making any decision going forward. The only player that could be moved is Spacek and I don't think anyone wants him

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:33 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
We already have 7 d's right now, doesn't make sense unless a D is going the other way. I doubt we make a move defensively until the start of the season, I'm sure management will want to see Emelin in action before making any decision going forward. The only player that could be moved is Spacek and I don't think anyone wants him
Emelin?

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 01:39 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Emelin?
Yemelin

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Robert Theodorson

Erskine has won favor with me, I do not wish to see him leave.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:06 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

If Erskine was traded away then there would be no physicality left on the Capitals' blueline.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 02:09 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
That's because there's no LTIR during the off-season. Poti will be on LTIR or waived for a significant portion, if not the entire, upcoming season. Thus the Capitals will be under the salary cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Mole View Post
Brouwer is willing to drop the gloves.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 05:52 PM
lancer247

if you would love Erskine on your blue line then surely you would atleast LIKE Matt Walker on your blue line.

Brings similar size and the same toughness as Erskine. Makes about $500,000 more. Neither is that good so there can't be that much of a drop off from Erskine to Walker.

Obviously, could be acquired for very little. He would be a little expensive as a #7 DMAN but he would be nice to have when facing BOS, OTT, TOR, etc.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 06:03 PM
ccgg

Quote:
Because Erskine is tougher, bigger and can handle Lucic. Mara doesn't scare anyone, Erskine is a real threat.
Is the upgrade during fights worth a draft pick ? I don't think so.

ccgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 07:45 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgg View Post
Is the upgrade during fights worth a draft pick ? I don't think so.
depends on the pick

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 11:13 PM
Banana Sandwiches

Unless another team wants to overpay for him, I wouldn't trade Erskine. His really evolved into a solid 5-6 d-man and is also a scary good fighter. Not too many of those guys around in the league.

Banana Sandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote