HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Downie to the Canucks

Old
07-26-2011, 01:29 PM
ReggieDunlop7

vCash: 500
Downie to the Canucks

Tried searching for something on this but couldn't find a thread.

What would it take to get Downie to Vancouver? I know TBay values him quite high...

Something around Schneider + Hodgson for Downie and ? A prospect?

I'm likely way off. Don't do this very often.

Last edited by ReggieDunlop7: 07-26-2011 at 01:39 PM.
ReggieDunlop7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 01:50 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
Finally pawning off Schneider to a team who actually needs him. I still don't know if TB would do it because they have Connelly and Toharski (sp?).

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 01:54 PM
newham89

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
Finally pawning off Schneider to a team who actually needs him. I still don't know if TB would do it because they have Connelly and Toharski (sp?).
Connolly and Tokarski.

And no, we wouldn't do this. We have no need to trade him whatsoever and can't afford to lose a top 6 forward, especially one that brings as much grit and pisses as many people off as Downie does.

It would be nice to get Schneider but we have plenty of goalie prospects in our system that management is willing to wait on.

newham89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:00 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Downie is worth more than Schneider to the Bolts.

The guy had average value a few years back, that's when it would have been smart to make a play for him. He's an important piece of their core going forward.

Overpayment if anything and the Canucks dont have enough moveable parts.

LiquidSnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:05 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by newham89 View Post
Connolly and Tokarski.

And no, we wouldn't do this. We have no need to trade him whatsoever and can't afford to lose a top 6 forward, especially one that brings as much grit and pisses as many people off as Downie does.

It would be nice to get Schneider but we have plenty of goalie prospects in our system that management is willing to wait on.
Am I missing something? Or are you both expecting Brett Connolly to change positions?

07-26-2011, 02:22 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Am I missing something? Or are you both expecting Brett Connolly to change positions?
I think they're referring to the inclusion of Hodgson.

LiquidSnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:23 PM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

Send a message via AIM to Butchered
Yeah not sure how Connolly fits in there lol. Unless he was comparing Hodgson to Connolly.

Anyway, I'd be interested but it just doesn't seem like the smart move. Tampa is already thin in the top 9 and taking Downie out removes an NHL tested 2nd/3rd line player that provides some toughness.

Hard to replace on a soft team.

Butchered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:24 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
What do you mean? I think Connolly was in reference to Hodgson in the original proposal.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 02:29 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
What do you mean? I think Connolly was in reference to Hodgson in the original proposal.
Ohhh. I thought they were suggesting they have a logjam in net.

Connolly is listed as a center, but I seriously think he'll move to the wing. Hodgson can play both C and W if need be. Either way, I don't think that would be the biggest drawback from the deal. Tampa's expectations for Tokarski certainly would, but then again it's never a bad situation to have a guy like Schneider who's ready to start now, and a guy like Tokarski who will be ready in a couple of years.

y2kcanucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 03:13 PM
mstad101

Is Brett Connolly smaller than Cody Hodgson?

I'd be willing to add if it were Connolly and Downie for Hodgson Schneider n something? (Raymond?) I think he'd have a decent chance to replace some offense missed from Steve and Gagne

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 03:16 PM
Crocop*

I would absolutely not want Downie on my favourite team. He's not even tough like they needed last season to win the cup.

Crocop* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

The Canucks wouldn't move Schneider and Hodgson for Downie anyways. I'd love to have Downie, but that's too high a price for a guy who has never even reached 50 points in a season. I understand an overpayment is what would be required, but I'd politely pass on this deal and look elsewhere.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocop View Post
I would absolutely not want Downie on my favourite team. He's not even tough like they needed last season to win the cup.
What?

07-26-2011, 04:39 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

I would think long and hard about the OP, but would probably say no, unless the prospect was Connolly in which case I would be willing to add.

Horvat2Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 04:50 PM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

I dont think MG would trade for downie with history of character issues

John Swartzwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 05:29 PM
newham89

Quote:
He asked if his spelling was right, I corrected it.

newham89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 06:15 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Downie's not going anywhere.

07-26-2011, 06:56 PM
ohnoeszz

As a Nucks fan I would rather have Purcell, but for any deal between these two teams the big obstacle seems to be that TB doesn't have the top 9 depth to stomach a 1 for 1 deal for a goalie.

Considering the depth the Canucks have at forward once Raymond comes back, what about something like

Schneider/Samuelson

for

Downie or Purcell/????

That way the Lightning still have a competitive top 6 for the season and can search for a top 6 winger next summer instead of a franchise goalie. Still doubt the Nucks go for it but this is all speculative anyway.

Last edited by ohnoeszz: 07-26-2011 at 07:05 PM.
ohnoeszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 07:17 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocop View Post
Downie had a very productive playoffs so I'm not sure why you think he's a reason why they didn't move past Boston. They probably don't make it to game 7 without his play in game 6.

Original proposal isn't bad, but I'm not sure if Yzerman does it right now. The goalie position set and there isn't anyone on the Lightning roster that's capable of moving into the top 6 if Downie were to be moved.

Hockeyfan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoeszz View Post
As a Nucks fan I would rather have Purcell, but for any deal between these two teams the big obstacle seems to be that TB doesn't have the top 9 depth to stomach a 1 for 1 deal for a goalie.

Considering the depth the Canucks have at forward once Raymond comes back, what about something like

Schneider/Samuelson

for

Downie or Purcell/????

That way the Lightning still have a competitive top 6 for the season and can search for a top 6 winger next summer instead of a franchise goalie. Still doubt the Nucks go for it but this is all speculative anyway.

Give us something back. I mean Downies a valuable piece, but even a near bust prospect or depth defender. Gillis does 1 for 1 or 2 for two trades usually, ie Ballard, OBrien, Hordichuk, Shirokov, and may throw in a draft pick to even it out. Just based on the contract numbers not balancing out, I doubt he does it, haha. What about, say, Hall (?), or Clark (?), or someone that is replaceable from with in the Lighting organization?

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Rschmitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoeszz View Post

Schneider/Samuelson

for

Downie or Purcell/????

I don't see the Lightning dealing Purcell or Downie until after this season. Both are on extremely affordable deals and are very productive. With Malone hurt and Gagne+Bergenheim gone, they'll need to keep their top line depth. After this season, Panik/Ashton/Connolly should be NHL ready, or on the cusp.

Acquiring Schneider now in exchange for offense is something a rebuilding team would do, but not us, we have Roloson. I don't see the incentive in making a trade, so we would need to see a deal that provides that incentive.

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 08:57 PM
nitric
German Engineering

Would be a good deal for the Canucks. As much of a "problem child" as Downie can be he makes up for it with excellent play. He can be a liability on the ice at times but not as much as people make it seem

nitric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:34 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

I wouldn't do Samuelsson and Schneider for Downie... Samuelsson is a good player with lots of playoff experience, why move him? He scored 30 goals the season before last, and had 20 goals this season despite dealing with injuries and requiring surgery. He can play well with the Sedins too, so it allows us to mix things up when they aren't working. Schneider is our Luongo injury insurance, we should keep him until were forced to trade him even if the value isn't as good.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

I thought this was pretty much a unanimous 'NO' from both sides the first 536 times this trade has been proposed.

537th time and it's still a no. Too much value on both sides going out and not the right returned value in terms of team needs coming back.

Plus, we already have Roli and Garon.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 12:00 AM
Devonator

Downie is someone that would be perfect for the Canucks...mayby even the missing player they need to win it all....they need a gritty nasty player to get under other teams skins....if they could work out a fair deal for him, the Canucks would be mighty dangerous...they already a great team obviously ......

Devonator is offline   Reply With Quote