HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

3D Gaming Thread

Old
07-26-2011, 08:38 AM
neofury*

vCash: 500
3D Gaming Thread

Figured I'd post this as I hadn't heard a lot of opinions on gaming in 3D.

I'm not looking for the anti-3D crowd to come in here and say 3D sucks, just rather hear experiences of gaming in 3D from people who actually enjoy 3D (But not necessarily the gaming part). Particularly on a TV screen and not on the DS.

Now a days you can get some pretty solid plasma, LED, LCD TV sets for cheap. Samsung has one right now 3D 51" Plasma for 999.99$ at Bestbuy. (Includes Shrek 3D kit, supposedly 250$ value, free)

Just wondering if people had played any of the 3D games on a 3D TV and what the result was, how good was it and how did it affect the gameplay. The game I'm most curious about being Gran Turismo 5.

I don't really care for 3D in movies, I could live with it but I really wanted to see if it's worthwhile in gaming. I didn't find the 3DS to be particularly great at the 3D. I'm wondering how TV's handle this.

Last edited by neofury*: 07-26-2011 at 08:49 AM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:25 AM
Clock

vCash: 50
I'm right with you in being the most excited for 3D games, if anything. Don't care about movies or handhelds.

Back in the day I had the shutter glasses attached to a PC playing Descent. It was pretty awesome, minus the whole guaranteed-headache-in-20-minutes part.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 10:08 AM
Keggatron

I actually bought that exact plasma about a month and a half ago for 1200 so I feel royally screwed. Anyway, I wasn't sold at all on 3D and it wasn't one of the selling factors when buying the TV. However I watched those Shrek movies in 3D and they were unreal. Completely turned me into a 3D lover, looking for Tron 3D but can't find it anywhere in town. That said I haven't had much experience with gaming in 3D. I played Killzone 3 a little bit but the 3D looked off, maybe it was the settings or something but it was tiring on the eyes. I did try Black Ops a bit in 3D as well. While it was better, I found it kind of distracting when playing an MP game and reverted back to 2D after a match or two. But who knows there may be some games out there that are pretty slick in 3D. I'll definitely give any game a shot in 3D.

Keggatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 10:55 AM
G F O P
Registered Baller

G F O P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:11 AM
neofury*

Nice and with regard to the TV itself (sorry I know a little offtopic in my own thread) aside from the 3D itself the rest of the quality is very good like a typical middle of the pack plasma?

For those who are interested this is the one I'm referring to:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...335c2780c7en02

The bang for buck ratio seems tough to match and I like Samsung. Would purchase any of these for TV: Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, Toshiba, LG. Would just depend on the model, reviews and bang for buck. Don't usually trust random brands and LG would probably be the only one I'd have concern for when buying.

Old
07-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Natey
#feelthelove

My 3D laptop is amazing. So far I've only played Trine in 3D and it looks absolutely incredible. I'm going to play more in 3D shortly, but I just haven't had too much time to game lately.

Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 07:56 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
My 3D laptop is amazing. So far I've only played Trine in 3D and it looks absolutely incredible. I'm going to play more in 3D shortly, but I just haven't had too much time to game lately.
That's sick. Any idea how much the price tag difference is between say an identical non-3D model?

Old
07-27-2011, 03:45 AM
Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
That's sick. Any idea how much the price tag difference is between say an identical non-3D model?
Not sure, but this is the laptop I have, which is $100 off right now;

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=039997

I absolutely love it.

Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 11:54 AM
neofury*

I'm not an Acer guy but if I had to guess the 3D is probably becoming much like TV now, it'll soon become standard. At that price I can't imagine the laptop being 100$ cheaper without 3D.

Old
07-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Crystal Met

I bought a 40inch Sony NX710 during future shop canada day sale. It went 799$ +tx, and included a soundbar who's worth 399$ alone..I had no interest in 3d but when I saw on the box ''3d ready'' I gave in and orderer some glasses and the sony transmitter. So far I do not have a blue-ray player or ps3, so I cant really judge. But the 2d to 3d option is not really good, i aint seeing a difference...I have 3d programs so ill check that, maybe play with the settings a little bit...anyway

Im going to get a ps3 as soon as the price drop (17 aug i think?), which game is good for 3d? I heard mortal kombat is incredible

Crystal Met is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 02:29 PM
SilverSeven

Love my 3D laptop. Most games look great in 3D

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 03:09 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Met View Post
I bought a 40inch Sony NX710 during future shop canada day sale. It went 799$ +tx, and included a soundbar who's worth 399$ alone..I had no interest in 3d but when I saw on the box ''3d ready'' I gave in and orderer some glasses and the sony transmitter. So far I do not have a blue-ray player or ps3, so I cant really judge. But the 2d to 3d option is not really good, i aint seeing a difference...I have 3d programs so ill check that, maybe play with the settings a little bit...anyway

Im going to get a ps3 as soon as the price drop (17 aug i think?), which game is good for 3d? I heard mortal kombat is incredible
Personally I want it for GT5.