HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

MLD 2011 Draft Thread II

Old
07-30-2011, 05:28 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

vCash: 500
Assuming Billy is skipped...

With pick #263, Awesome Express takes Ted Irvine, LW

With pick #264, we'll take Christian Ruuttu, C/LW

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 09:12 AM
vecens24

I like the Stu Barnes pick a lot. had we not taken Patey earlier in the draft I probably would have pushed hard for us to take him.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 10:49 AM
Dreakmur

We'll take a coach with a Stanley Cup, and was also a 3-time finalist for the Jack Adams - Terry Crisp.

We'll also take a mobile defenseman with size and leadership ability who was played for team Canada in the 2002 Olympics and 2004 World Cup, as well as multiple World Championships - Eric Brewer.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 11:50 AM
Stoneberg
Bored

With 233 and 234 the Sleepwatchers select Randy Burridge, LW and Marek Zidlicky, D.

Stoneberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 11:54 AM
Dreakmur

I only have a few spots in my PM box, so I can't really be sending or receiving notices of the draft order. I'll need you guys to PM the next person whenever I pick.... and when I'm up, don't PM me.

Old
07-30-2011, 12:02 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
I only have a few spots in my PM box, so I can't really be sending or receiving notices of the draft order. I'll need you guys to PM the next person whenever I pick.... and when I'm up, don't PM me.
It's called deleting them..

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Reds4Life

Red Wings select:

Alex Motter, D (pick 267)
Ronnie Stern, RW (pick 268)

Reds4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 01:46 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Warroad Lakers select Wes Walz, C and Bill Dineen, Coach

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 01:48 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Damn, our list of potential head coaches went something like:

1) Emile Francis
2) Terry Crisp
3) Bobby Kromm
4) Bill Dineen

at this rate, Muckler might end up being our head coach!

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 02:02 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Damn, our list of potential head coaches went something like:

1) Emile Francis
2) Terry Crisp
3) Bobby Kromm
4) Bill Dineen

at this rate, Muckler might end up being our head coach!
To be perfectly honest I was debating finishing off my roster first before going with a coach. But after seeing Emile Francis and Crisp take off I thought it was the right time to make the move there. Glad to hear that it sounds like I made the right call.

Old
07-30-2011, 02:21 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Warroad Lakers select Wes Walz, C and Bill Dineen, Coach
Hmm.. Walz is an interesting pick. I've always thought he was an excellent PKer and good defenive player. I think he's kind of a poor-man's version of Todd Marchant.

Old
07-30-2011, 02:33 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Hmm.. Walz is an interesting pick. I've always thought he was an excellent PKer and good defenive player. I think he's kind of a poor-man's version of Todd Marchant.
Exactly the role I'm looking for him to play to be honest. He was never really a star player and probably a little less known then Marchant but he had a pretty solid Selke record with Minnesota (3rd and 11th) and was huge in that 02-03 playoff run both offensively and defensively. His speed is a huge asset as well.

Old
07-30-2011, 03:32 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Exactly the role I'm looking for him to play to be honest. He was never really a star player and probably a little less known then Marchant but he had a pretty solid Selke record with Minnesota (3rd and 11th) and was huge in that 02-03 playoff run both offensively and defensively. His speed is a huge asset as well.
I probably should have taken him over Forbes Kennedy, but when I picked Marchant, I crossed Walz off my list. Actually, Forbes fits my fourth line better, but I think Walz might be better as an overall player.

Old
07-30-2011, 04:22 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I'll also select talented RW Yevgeny Zimin

2x Soviet League Champion
2x Olympic Gold Medalist
27 goals in 71 career National Team games(.3803 goals/game)
185 goals in 315 career Soviet League games(.5873 goals/game)
Soviet Hockey Hall of Fame Member
4th in Soviet MVP voting(67-68)

Quote:
Evgeny Zimin was one of the most talented and promising Soviet forwards. At 21, he won the Olympics. At 22, he captured his second USSR gold with the Spartak Moscow that managed to challenge mighty CSKA powerhouse in the 1960's. Zimin didn't have an impressive size, but he established himself as a fast skater, slick puck carrier and a sound scorer. By 1972, he was a 2-time Olympic champion and one of the top guns of Team USSR. He is an author of the first goal scored by Team USSR in the Summit. Unfortunately, his career in the top level hockey wasn't long. Drafted to the Soviet Army, Zimin never played for the CSKA, the biggest rival of his Spartak.
http://www.chidlovski.com/personal/1...oster/ru11.htm

Quote:
One would wonder if the series would have been different had Evgeny Zimin played all 8 games. He left after 2 games, due to
an injury Zimin scored two big goals in game number one, and was part of the powerful Soviet powerplay.

Zimin scored perhaps the most important Soviet goal of the entire series. It was also the first goal of the series for the Russians.

With Canada already leading 2-0 in game one, it was Zimin who put an end to the Canadian's early momentum, scoring at the 11:40 mark.

"The first goal scored by Yevgeny Zimin, inspired the Soviet players," said Igor Kuperman. "It proved to them that they could score against the best NHL professionals. After his goal they scored again and again. The smallest player on the team had scored the biggest goal.".

Yevgeny Zimin was a fine player who possessed explosive speed. His performance in the 1972 Summit Series instantly compared him to Canada's "Roadrunner" - Yvan Cournoyer, or to a later superstar - Guy Lafleur. Old time Russian fans would favourably compare Zimin to Alexander Almetov. Russian fans knew he had the ability to wow onlookers like precious few hockey players can.

Zimin was an individualist, which in Soviet hockey was frowned upon. Correct that - in Anatoli Tarasov's hockey it was frowned upon. But under Vsevolod Bobrov's guidance a solo artist of such high skill as Zimin could thrive. Bobrov would coach Zimin though much of his club career with Spartak, and also briefly on the national team, including the 1972 Summit Series.
http://www.1972summitseries.com/zimin.html

Quote:
The puck seemed to be glued to Yevgeny Zimin's stick and the small, agile player could zip around the ice for sheer joy
http://www.google.com/search?q=yevge...og&sa=N&tab=wp

Quote:
Yevgeny Zimin, a fine player, a contemporary of Almetov's...

A player who knew Bobrov well was the hockey prodigy, the boy who made it to the big leagues at age 16, Yevgeny Zimin

Quote:
A strong bid for places in the forward line has been made by Alexander Yakushev, xxx and Yevgeny Zimin (all of Spartak)

Quote:
The Montrealers were particularly enamoured by the line of Alexander Yakushev, Evgeny Zimin, and Vladimir Shadrin, who would crisscross through the dizzy Canadians with blazing speed, notching two goals as they went.
http://www.google.com/search?q=yevge...w=1280&bih=838

Quote:
Yevgeny Zimin zipped around opposing defensemen to score two goals yesterday to lead Moscow Selects to a 4-2 exhibition victory over Canada's national hockey team.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...dq=zimin&hl=en

Quote:
Evgenie Zimin and Alexsander Maltsev, two strong regulars, didn't see action until the score had reached Canada couldn't have beaten Russia
http://www.google.com/search?q=zimin...w=1280&bih=838

Last edited by BillyShoe1721: 08-02-2011 at 08:49 PM.
BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 05:44 PM
Stoneberg
Bored

The Sleepwatchers select coach, Brian Sutter.

Next pick coming shortly. Just wanted to make sure I got Sutter.

Old
07-30-2011, 05:49 PM
tony d
Follow your Nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneberg View Post
The Sleepwatchers select coach, Brian Sutter.

Next pick coming shortly. Just wanted to make sure I got Sutter.
Good pick, for me, my top 4 coaching candidates going into this was Bryan Murray, Bill Dineen and Bob Hartley and Brian Sutter. All 4 have gone now, was sort of hoping Sutter would slip to the AAA Draft.

07-30-2011, 06:06 PM
Stoneberg
Bored

This may be a bit off the board but the Sleepwatchers are in need of a very good PK defenseman, and this guy fits the bill, Dan Hamhuis.

Old
07-30-2011, 09:13 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Looking for some opinions on my top-6.

Gardner - Ronan - Poile
Hiller - Barlow - Christian

That's what I have right now. The second line is probably the fastest in the draft and the first line has a nice combo of grit and scoring. However, I had a thought of trying this instead:

Gardner - Ronan - Christian
Hiller - Barlow - Poile

Thought it would be a nicer balance.

Old
07-30-2011, 09:41 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
Looking for some opinions on my top-6.

Gardner - Ronan - Poile
Hiller - Barlow - Christian

That's what I have right now. The second line is probably the fastest in the draft and the first line has a nice combo of grit and scoring. However, I had a thought of trying this instead:

Gardner - Ronan - Christian
Hiller - Barlow - Poile

Thought it would be a nicer balance.
I think the biggest thing missing there is playmaking. Ronan is definately a scoring centre with very little passing skill. Gardner doesn't seem to have any quotes that support his passing skills, nor does Barlow. None of Hiller, Poile, nor Christian provide any substantial playmaking either.

There is a good mix of everything else though - speed, toughness, scoring, and defense. Just needs some playmaking.

Old
07-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Selfish Man
The Wrong Company

With pick #273 the Pittsburgh Hornets select Colin White, D.

Won two Stanley Cups and lost a seven-game final for a third. Hard-hitting stay-at-home defenseman who is a mainstay on the PK.

More bio later.

Selfish Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 10:11 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
I think the biggest thing missing there is playmaking. Ronan is definately a scoring centre with very little passing skill. Gardner doesn't seem to have any quotes that support his passing skills, nor does Barlow. None of Hiller, Poile, nor Christian provide any substantial playmaking either.

There is a good mix of everything else though - speed, toughness, scoring, and defense. Just needs some playmaking.
I could move Anisin up..since he was a playmaker. Move Barlow back..although I'm personally against that. A lot of these players played at a time where playmaking wasn't really as documented or needed.

Old
07-30-2011, 10:13 PM
Selfish Man
The Wrong Company

With pick #274 the Pittsburgh Hornets select Sergei Brylin, C/RW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loh.net
Possessing good speed and a sound grasp of all the game's facets, centre Sergei Brylin became a valuable member of the New Jersey Devils in the late 1990s. His superior puck-handling and strength on his skates made him a versatile player for the club and an asset on both specialty teams.

The Moscow native spent three years with the Central Red Army and was drafted 42nd overall by the New Jersey Devils in 1992. He agreed to join the club in 1994-95 then spent the first half of the season playing with the AHL's Albany River Rats during the lockout shortened season. He scored 54 points in 63 games for Albany then looked solid in the last 26 games of the season for New Jersey. He then played 12 games in the post-season for the Devils when they captured their first Stanley Cup.

Over the next eight seasons, Brylin showed signs of taking his game to the next level on to regress or suffer an injury. He even spent some additional time in the AHL but returned to full time duty in 1999-00. He played solid two-way hockey all year and scored eight points while helping New Jersey win its second Stanley Cup title.

In 2003, Brylin was limited to a mere 52 games, yet was able to suit up for five post season games in helping the Devils capture their third Cup title in nine years.

Selfish Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 10:37 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
I could move Anisin up..since he was a playmaker. Move Barlow back..although I'm personally against that. A lot of these players played at a time where playmaking wasn't really as documented or needed.
Playmaking may not have been needed as much in the pre-forward passing era, but it is very important today.

My personal opinion is that scorers need playmakers to be fully effective. Without one, they will produce fewer goals than they should. Generally, faster skaters are not as negativey impacted, but lacking a playmaker is still detrimental.

Jimmy Gardner only played one season where assists were recorded, which was 1913 in the PCHA. He was tied for 10th. A few quotes would be enough to convince me he was at least a decent playmaker.

Quote:
Jimmy Gardner only played one season where assists were recorded, which was 1913 in the PCHA. He was tied for 10th. A few quotes would be enough to convince me he was at least a decent playmaker.
Actually, Gardner should be included in SIHR's assist reconstruction. That should be a good place to start.

Last edited by seventieslord: 08-01-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old
07-30-2011, 11:35 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Michal Pivonka bio:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...7&postcount=65

There will probably be a slight alteration once LOH is back up and running. I was disappointed that almost all the papers with him in it were paying papers, so I wasn't able to get many newspaper quotes.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 12:06 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selfish Man View Post
With pick #273 the Pittsburgh Hornets select Colin White, D.

Won two Stanley Cups and lost a seven-game final for a third. Hard-hitting stay-at-home defenseman who is a mainstay on the PK.

More bio later.
If it wasn't for his eye injury, he'd be a legit bottom pairing guy in the ATD, IMO. He was just starting to round into form as a legit top pairing shut down guy in the NHL, when he basically lost sight in one eye after taking a puck to it.

As is, I think he's a very solid but unspectacular #6 at the MLD level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selfish Man View Post
With pick #274 the Pittsburgh Hornets select Sergei Brylin, C/RW.

Heh, someone's trying to get on my good side? Brylin should be listed as a "F." He played significant amounts of LW (he was often the LW on the Gomez-Mogilny line in 2000 and 2001). Very versatile player who can play all 3 forward positions and both special teams - I really like him as a spare at the MLD level.

Quote:
Tied for 10th in assists in the 4 team PCHA really isn't that impressive. Back then, the best players definitely did play 60 minutes, so that gives you 12 forwards, 4 rovers, and 8 defensemen.

So basically he was tied for 10th out of 16 non-defensemen in assists in the league. (assuming 1 or 2 defensemen didn't crack the top 10, I'm too lazy to check).

Edit: The 1912-13 PCHA only had 3 Teams! So... tied for 10th in assists is actually quite poor.

Last edited by seventieslord: 08-01-2011 at 11:27 AM.
TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote