HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

MLD 2011 Draft Thread II

Old
08-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Selfish Man
The Wrong Company

vCash: 500
With pick #329, the Pittsburgh Hornets select Tom Fitzgerald, W.

Scrappy winger who can play both sides will round out the Hornets fourth line/energy line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loh.net
Fitzgerald scored 27 points and was a key defensive player when the Islanders upset the defending Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins to reach the semi-finals in 1993. A few weeks later he was claimed by the Florida Panthers in the Expansion Draft and assumed greater responsibility with his new team. The hard working forward scored a career high 18 goals in the club's inaugural season in 1993-94. Two years later he scored eight points in 22 playoff games as the Panthers shocked the hockey world by reaching the Stanley Cup finals.

Late in the 1997-98 season, the Colorado Avalanche picked Fitzgerald up at the trading deadline. He was a solid player for them but was not resigned after Colorado failed to win the Stanley Cup. The expansion Nashville Predators signed him as a free agent and he became a team leader on the club as it held its own in the league.

A solid defensive player and penalty killer with the young Preds', Fitzgerald went on to play four seasons in Nashville before he was dealt to the Chicago Blackhawks in the latter half of the 2001-02 season.

Fitzgerald's stay in Chicago was brief, as he would sign with the Toronto Maple Leafs in the off-season. After only two seasons in Toronto, Fitzgerald signed as an unrestricted free-agent with the Boston Bruins in the summer of 2004. Fitzgerald lived out a childhood dream in Boston, appearing in 71 games with his hometown Bruins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
He played parts of five seasons for the Islanders and the first player in NHL playoff history to score two shorthanded goals on the same minor penalty, against the Pittsburgh Penguins on May 2, 1993, which also equaled the NHL record for shorthanded goals by a player in one game. He was selected as one of the original Florida Panthers in the 1993 NHL Expansion Draft. Although he has been cast as a defensive forward in the NHL, he had his best scoring years in Miami and was one of the leaders in Florida's 1996 Stanley Cup run. In those 199596 playoffs, Fitzgerald scored the decisive goal in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals against the Pittsburgh Penguins. It was a 58-foot slapshot that found its way past Penguins goalie Tom Barrasso.

He was briefly traded to the Colorado Avalanche in 1998 before being drafted in another expansion draft, this time by the Nashville Predators, who sought out his veteran leadership. Fitzgerald was named Nashville's first captain and so served for four seasons. He has subsequently played for the Chicago Blackhawks and the Toronto Maple Leafs. While with Toronto, Fitzgerald and his Maple Leafs teammate Gary Roberts both played in the 1,000th game of their careers on January 13, 2004.

Selfish Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 09:31 AM
Selfish Man
The Wrong Company

With pick #330, the Pittsburgh Hornets select John Cullen, C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loh.net
Cullen turned pro in 1987-88, playing in 81 games with the Flint Spirits of the IHL, filling the scoresheets with 48 goals and 109 assists for 157 points. He was named league MVP and was given a good long look at the Penguins' training camp the following year, which led to a starting spot with Pittsburgh. In his rookie season, Cullen appeared in 79 games, scoring 12 goals and 49 points. He followed that up with 32 goals and 92 points the next year. In 1990-91, he had the best statistical season of his career, scoring 31 goals and 94 points in 65 games with the Penguins before being traded to the Hartford Whalers with 13 games left in the season. He scored another eight goals and 16 points there to finish with a combined total of 39 goals and 110 points. In his one full season with the Whalers, Cullen contributed 77 points in as many games.

Midway through the 1992-93 season, Cullen was sent to the Toronto Maple Leafs. He helped lead the Leafs to the Conference finals where they lost a thrilling seven-game series to Wayne Gretzky and the Los Angeles Kings. During his time in Toronto, Cullen was saddled with an assortment of injuries, the most serious of which was a herniated disc in his neck.

Cullen signed with the Pittsburgh Penguins in the shortened 1994-95 season, looking to recapture some of that magic he had when he first came into the league. However, times had changed and Cullen was unable to produce to the satisfaction of himself or the team, scoring 37 points in 46 games and shortly after signed with the Tampa Bay Lightning in 1995, where he played for another two seasons before facing the biggest test of his life, a battle with cancer, in 1997.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey's Greatest Legends
The Fort Erie, Ontario native played college hockey at Boston University where he was a perennial all star. Because of his lack of size, he wasn't drafted in the NHL Entry Draft, but Buffalo did make him the 10th selection of the 1986 supplemental draft.

John never played with Buffalo. After finishing his college, he turned pro with the IHL's Flint Spirits. In his first professional season, John scored 48 goals, 109 assists and 157 points in 81 games!! He added 26 more points in 16 playoff games. Needless to say, John cleaned up at the post season awards dinner. He was named a First Team All Star, league MVP, top scorer and top rookie (shared with Ed Belfour). Not a bad first impression!

During the 10 pre-season games in 1988 John impressed the Pittsburgh Penguins enough to offer him a contract. The Pens already had Mario Lemieux but were looking for a second line pivot-man. They found him in John.

John's first NHL season was 1988-89. He scored 12 goals and assisted on 37 others. The following season he exploded with 32 goals and 60 assists for 92 points.

John took his game to the next level in 1990-91. In his first 65 games with Pittsburgh he scored 31 goals and 63 assists. But then the hockey world was shocked by one of the biggest trades in NHL history. John was sent to Hartford with ***** ***** for long time Whalers Ron Francis, Ulf Samuelsson and ****** ******. That trade had deep implications on both franchises. With the leadership and defensive abilities of Francis and Samuelsson, Pittsburgh turned into Stanley Cup dynasty, winning two consecutive Stanley Cups. Meanwhile, John struggled with less talented linemates in Hartford. Francis and Samuelsson were the heart and soul of the Whalers and many say the franchise was never the same since that trade. Hartford eventually relocated to become the Carolina Hurricanes.

After only 96 games in Hartford, John was sent to Toronto for future considerations.

In 621 NHL games over parts of 10 seasons for Pittsburgh, Hartford, Toronto and Tampa Bay, John has 187 goals and 363 assists. He enjoyed his finest season in 1990-91, when he established career highs with 39 goals and 71 assists for the Penguins and Whalers. John participated in two NHL all star games.
Cullen will serve as a spare center who can step into a secondary scoring line role when called upon.

Selfish Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Stoneberg
Bored

Sleepwatchers will select W, Niklas Sundstrom with their first skipped pick.

Stoneberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:20 AM
tony d
The man

Okay, I checked and double checked on these 2 and am pretty sure they're defensemen, the first pick is:

Genrikh Sidorenkov- A Russian defenseman who was the defensive partner of Nikolai Soglubov and was seen as a player who did everything right.

More on Sidorenkov can be found here:

http://internationalhockeylegends.bl...idorenkov.html

With my 2nd pick I draft the guy with one of the best names in hockey history in Zarley Zalapski, Zalapski was a good offensive defenseman during his day getting 65 points in 1992-1993 and representing the Whalers on the All-Star team that year.

More on Zalapski can be found here:

http://whalerslegends.blogspot.com/2...-zalapski.html

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:35 AM
seventieslord

reminder to everyone:

Quote:
Have on the team at least ONE player from each of the following all-time hockey periods:

1916 or earlier
1917-1942
1943-1965
1966-1979
1980-1994
1995-2004
in 2011
your last pick is coming up here. If you don't have someone from every period, make sure you recfity that now. 1995-2004, and active in 2011 are two separate periods.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
reminder to everyone:

your last pick is coming up here. If you don't have someone from every period, make sure you recfity that now. 1995-2004, and active in 2011 are two separate periods.
I think I'm all set. I've got at least 3 guys from each era, and no more than 5 in any. Surprised to see how well-distributed my guys are.....

1916 or earlier (Shorty Green, Oren Frood, Fred Higginbotham)
1917-1942 (Baldy Cotton, Bill Brydge, Murph Chamberlain)
1943-1965 (Vincent Lukac, Bert Marshall, Forbes Kennedy, Ken Schinkel, Dave Creighton)
1966-1979 (Tom Bladon, Mike McEwen, Aleksander Kozhevnikov)
1980-1994 (Jason Allison, Geoff Sanderson, Kelly Hrudey, Terry Crisp, Brian Hayward)
1995-2004 (Scott Gomez, Olli Jokinen, Todd Marchant, Bryan Berard, Eric Brewer)
in 2011 (Scott Gomez, Olli Jokinen, Eric Brewer)

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
I think I'm all set. I've got at least 3 guys from each era, and no more than 5 in any. Surprised to see how well-distributed my guys are.....

1943-1965 (Vincent Lukac, Bert Marshall, Forbes Kennedy, Ken Schinkel, Dave Creighton)
1980-1994 (Jason Allison, Geoff Sanderson, Kelly Hrudey, Terry Crisp, Brian Hayward)
Todd Marchant began his career in 1993.

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 11:00 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Todd Marchant began his career in 1993.
Really? I just assumed, since he retired this summer, that he would be in the most recent group.

Oh well, it doesn't matter anyway. I have lots of guys from all eras.

Old
08-02-2011, 11:12 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Eden Hall selects Jeff Carter, C/RW

Big two-way goal scoring center who has dabbled a fair amount at right wing.

He's finished 2nd, 7th, 13th in goals and 12th in points, while generally getting less ice time than the majority of comparable players due to the Flyers depth at center.

Played in the 2009 All Star game
11th in Hart voting in 2009

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 11:58 AM
seventieslord

Quote:

Not bad at all. My MLD teams are usually that well distributed... not really as much this time though.

One thing though, doesn't Lukac count for 1966-1979? Without looking, I don't think started close to early enough to count for that period.

(which only smooths out your distribution even more: 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5)

Quote:
Really? I just assumed, since he retired this summer, that he would be in the most recent group.

Oh well, it doesn't matter anyway. I have lots of guys from all eras.
Yep, marchant would count either in the 1980-2004 as well as the 2011 group, depending on where you need him to.

Considering modern players are pretty popular here, I don't envision anyone having that dilemma though.

Old
08-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
One thing though, doesn't Lukac count for 1966-1979? Without looking, I don't think started close to early enough to count for that period.

(which only smooths out your distribution even more: 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5)
Yeah. Not sure why I though he started in 1965. I wasn't being too careful though, since I knew I was good either way.

Old
08-02-2011, 12:28 PM
vecens24

Also, I'm not sure that the Creighton Bio is correct as far as All-Star games Dreak. HR has him down for 2, not 5.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 12:41 PM
seventieslord

I'm also not sure about the validity of this quote re: Higginbotham:

Quote:
He was primarily responsible for carrying the puck out of the defensive end. He was also a hard hitter.
First, anyone can edit wikipedia. Where did they get it from? Second, defensemen in those days "lifted" the puck out of their end, they didn't carry it, so I question what level of knowledge this wikipedia updater had.

Old
08-02-2011, 12:41 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Also, I'm not sure that the Creighton Bio is correct as far as All-Star games Dreak. HR has him down for 2, not 5.
LOH has him with 5.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=12365

Old
08-02-2011, 12:44 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
If you look at his games played and points, it's pretty obvious that the 2 ASGs is correct. Still not bad at all to get a guy with 2 of them this late.

Old
08-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
I'm also not sure about the validity of this quote re: Higginbotham:

First, anyone can edit wikipedia. Where did they get it from? Second, defensemen in those days "lifted" the puck out of their end, they didn't carry it, so I question what level of knowledge this wikipedia updater had.
I wasn't trying to hide the source. People can take it for what it's worth. I was hoping Iain would help me out on that one.

Defenseman didn't "just" lift. They carried it or lifted it. Since forward passing was not allowed, they had to lift instead. Thet still carried it.

Old
08-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
If you look at his games played and points, it's pretty obvious that the 2 ASGs is correct. Still not bad at all to get a guy with 2 of them this late.
Yeah, 2 makes sense.

If I could edit my post, I would.... but since I can't, and I don't feel like making a new one, I'm just leaving it.

Old
08-02-2011, 12:53 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Yeah, 2 makes sense.

If I could edit my post, I would.... but since I can't, and I don't feel like making a new one, I'm just leaving it.
no problem, I'll do it.

edit: wow, have you ever seen a guy whose production level fluctuated so much from year to year?

the smallest of all those swings was 0.22 points per game!

Old
08-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Quote:
Defenseman didn't "just" lift. They carried it or lifted it. Since forward passing was not allowed, they had to lift instead. Thet still carried it.
This is true. While the point player would typically lift the puck, the cover-point had the option of rushing as well. You should check out Art Farrell's book sometime for a description of positional responsibilities in early hockey, it's available online somewhere. Higginbotham played both point and cover, and as I mentioned to Dreakmur if he wasn't a good rusher he wouldn't have played cover.

Edit: And to be clear, point players would also rush the puck at times, just not nearly as often as the cover.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 01:07 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
no problem, I'll do it.

edit: wow, have you ever seen a guy whose production level fluctuated so much from year to year?

the smallest of all those swings was 0.22 points per game!
Creighton was one of the guys we researched as a second line center. What turned me off at least was just how up and down he was. From reading newspaper articles, he seemed to have a reputation as a guy who would play extremely well for a new team, then practically play himself out the the league, then get traded, then capture his old magic with the new team... for a little while.

Old
08-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Creighton was one of the guys we researched as a second line center. What turned me off at least was just how up and down he was. From reading newspaper articles, he seemed to have a reputation as a guy who would play extremely well for a new team, then practically play himself out the the league, then get traded, then capture his old magic with the new team... for a little while.
Agreed with the up and down part.

The second part, about him playing his way off teams, doesn't makes sense. His last year in Boston as his best year there. Also, his last year in Newy York was just as good as any other season he put up there. Those were his only two major stays in the league.

Old
08-02-2011, 01:42 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Eden Hall selects Jeff Carter, C/RW

Big two-way goal scoring center who has dabbled a fair amount at right wing.

He's finished 2nd, 7th, 13th in goals and 12th in points, while generally getting less ice time than the majority of comparable players due to the Flyers depth at center.

Played in the 2009 All Star game
11th in Hart voting in 2009
This is to me a very good pick (in context of younger active players). I like it alot, good job guys.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 01:51 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
I think it should be the other way around. He always increased his value in his last season. It wasn't until later (around the time that he went to the Islanders that he started to be inconsistent. It was lucky that they also got Thomas in that trade.

....when the Islanders first were granted a franchise, the Creighton we are talking about was approximately 40 years old

Old
08-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
I think it should be the other way around. He always increased his value in his last season. It wasn't until later (around the time that he went to the Islanders that he started to be inconsistent. It was lucky that they also got Thomas in that trade.
I think you've got the wrong player in mind. Dave Creighton was gone long before the Islanders came into existance.

Old
08-02-2011, 02:19 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Sorry for the delay everyone.

We're not fans of any of the modern goalies left, so we'll pick an old-timer as our backup:

Bert Lindsay, G

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendsofhockey
Goalkeeper Bert Lindsay played with the Montreal Wanderers and Toronto Arenas during the first two seasons of the NHL. Prior to this he was a well known figure in the PCHA, NHA and various senior leagues.

Lindsay starred for four seasons on the Victoria Aristocrats and led the PCHA in wins in 1913 and 1914. The talented backstopper was named to the association's all-star team in 1913.
- second best GAA and likely 2nd best goalie in the NHA in 1909-10 after Riley Hern
- PCHA First Team All Star in 1912-13
- Led the PCHA in wins and GAA in 1912-13 and 1913-14

Fun facts:

- Father of Ted Lindsay
- Invented a new kind of hockey net to prevent injuries from players crashing into posts in 1947: Source