HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

MLD 2011 Draft Thread II

Old
07-28-2011, 09:43 PM
jarek

vCash: 500
I disagree with that last statement, if only because of the certainty of it. There's no way anyone could have known how that series would have gone. Tommy Salo was the least of why Edmonton didn't win.

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:46 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarek View Post
I disagree with that last statement, if only because of the certainty of it. There's no way anyone could have known how that series would have gone. Tommy Salo was the least of why Edmonton didn't win.
I agree, since he hadn't played for Edmonton for over two years by then!

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:47 PM
Velociraptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarek View Post
Agreed. Markkanen played very well in Roloson's absence, and the team was out of it for most of the games.

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Selfish Man
The Wrong Company

The Oilers lost two one-goal games, were blown out 5-0 in game two and lost game 7 by a score of 3-1. I believe Edmonton having a hot goalie of their own to match Cam Ward could've/would've made the difference in the series.

Regardless, you are right that the statement is too definite, but no more debatable than other GMs stating they have just drafted the "best" remaining player at any given position throughout this thing.

edit:

one example

http://youtu.be/MwlvOmIe3XE

Last edited by Selfish Man: 07-28-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Selfish Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:02 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Edmonton very well could have won the Cup if Roloson remained healthy, but I'm pretty sure that Pronger would have won the Smythe if Edmonton had won.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:20 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Edmonton very well could have won the Cup if Roloson remained healthy, but I'm pretty sure that Pronger would have won the Smythe if Edmonton had won.
I'm on the fence there. I remember thinking heading into the finals that it was Roloson's if they won... and then the injury happened. By the end of game 7, Pronger was my choice.

If those games went the exact same way, but with Roloson in net, I likely take Pronger. If Roloson was a major improvement over Markkanen and allows 4-5 fewer goals in those 7 games (or closes it out in 6, perhaps), then it's him.

Old
07-28-2011, 11:36 PM
jarek

Damn.. why did I think of Tommy Salo? Regardless, I don't think goaltending is the reason they lost.

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:36 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 2498
Warroad Lakers select:

RW Paul Holmgren and D Alex Levinsky

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 01:09 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
the rule said Pro. Senior is not pro. I used a common-sense approach to solve a minor problem created by the rules.
Senior A players get paid money, but not enough to live on, so it is called semi-pro.[/QUOTE]

Quote:

I would have taken great delight in replying to that nonsense. But this section needs to remain civilized and I can't contribute to garbage like that (anymore). Unfortunately, the editing of the post was solely due to my responsibility to "be the bigger man", as tempting as it may have been.
I guess you'd just use it as an opportunity to try to show everyone how brilliant you are..... again.....

You didn't just contribute to this situation, you created a huge mess and it was all driven by your enormous ego. Next time don't bother trying to show off, and just do the right thing instead.

Quote:
In any case, you should know that "getting personal" is cause for post editing, deletions, warnings and worse.
What's personal about it? It's not like I was making stuff up or being unfair. You are acting like a fascist, so I insinuated that you were one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Guess it's my turn with my 2 picks I select Defenseman Scott Hannan and Centre Michael Nylander.
With seventies' new fad statistic of ES TOI, Scott Hannan should be considered the best defenseman in the draft. He led his team in ES TOI every season from 2002 to 2010.

Last edited by seventieslord: 07-29-2011 at 09:55 AM. Reason: 3 posts in a row, keeping the thread clean.
Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 03:03 AM
jkrx

Detroit Red Wings proudly selects:

Rod Flett, D and Göran Högosta, G

Edit: Apparently Dreakmur is out so I pm'ed Dwight and Velo.

Last edited by jkrx: 07-29-2011 at 04:17 AM.
jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 05:44 AM
Velociraptor

We'll select Randy Carlyle, Coach and Vlastimil Bubnik, LW

Carlyle, a coach with a cup and an admirable record. Bubnik, a prolific international and Czech league scorer.

Billy notified.

Old
07-29-2011, 08:27 AM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Senior A players get paid money, but not enough to live on, so it is called semi-pro.
I'm guessing from the context that seventieslord was talking about senior hockey in the old days; ie, when Red Green played? Senior hockey was fully amateur in those days and players were not supposed to be paid at all. Whether or not they did is an open question but we can't simply assume that because today Senior A (a distinction that did not exist at the time) players are semi-pro, then they must have been semi-pro almost 100 years ago.

On top of that, semi-pro is not the same thing as pro.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 09:13 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selfish Man View Post
The Oilers lost two one-goal games, were blown out 5-0 in game two and lost game 7 by a score of 3-1. I believe Edmonton having a hot goalie of their own to match Cam Ward could've/would've made the difference in the series.

Regardless, you are right that the statement is too definite, but no more debatable than other GMs stating they have just drafted the "best" remaining player at any given position throughout this thing.

edit:

one example

http://youtu.be/MwlvOmIe3XE
The biggest reason the Oilers lost isn't the loss of Roloson, it's the fact that they couldn't score on Ward in their losses. Aside from Game 1, they had a grand total of 2 goals against Ward in the games they lost. So unless you honestly believe that Roloson would have post shutouts in at least one those games, there's no way the Oilers were winning it. I'm honestly getting absolutely sick of people saying "if Roloson" like it's an absolute certainty. Really the way Markkanen play those games up in Edmonton in that series it just as easily could have wound up being a Canes sweep.

Last edited by DaveG: 07-29-2011 at 09:22 AM.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 10:00 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
We'll select Randy Carlyle, Coach and Vlastimil Bubnik, LW

Carlyle, a coach with a cup and an admirable record. Bubnik, a prolific international and Czech league scorer.

Billy notified.
Bubnik was drafted as a RW last draft, and SIHR has him exclusively as a RW. Where are you getting that he's a LW?

Old
07-29-2011, 10:06 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Bubnik was drafted as a RW last draft, and SIHR has him exclusively as a RW. Where are you getting that he's a LW?
I'm quite certain he meant to say RW - we discussed this pick just last night. Probably a case of the early morning drowsiness

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 10:07 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
I guess you'd just use it as an opportunity to try to show everyone how brilliant you are..... again.....

You didn't just contribute to this situation, you created a huge mess and it was all driven by your enormous ego. Next time don't bother trying to show off, and just do the right thing instead.

What's personal about it? It's not like I was making stuff up or being unfair. You are acting like a fascist, so I insinuated that you were one.
But see, you are making stuff up, being unfair and getting personal.

I tried to do the right thing all along. You just can't let it go. Anyone who can't, at this point, is forgetting two important things that I never lost track of: this is primarily for fun, not intense, strict-rule-adhering competition, and our responsibility is to recognize the players who deserve it the most.

I've never really understood why you think this was some elaborate ego-driven scheme to show off how brilliant I am. Honestly, there are much better ways for me to do that!

Quote:
With seventies' new fad statistic of ES TOI, Scott Hannan should be considered the best defenseman in the draft. He led his team in ES TOI every season from 2002 to 2010.
Yes, it is quite impressive and a perfect example of a defenseman that coaches trust on the ice in all situations... and good coaches, on good teams, no less. I already said I was a fan of the pick. Aside from the 1989 cup, his resume is pretty similar to Jamie Macoun's.

Old
07-29-2011, 10:25 AM
tony d
The franchise

Thanks seventieslord for the feedback on Hannan. I wanted a defensive defenseman as well as a modern player, Hannan seemed to be the best left so I picked him. I'm also thinking of naming him an alernate captain.

So, someone said Dreamkur bowed out of this draft? What happens now to his picks?

07-29-2011, 10:33 AM
Velociraptor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
I'm quite certain he meant to say RW - we discussed this pick just last night. Probably a case of the early morning drowsiness
Precisely

Old
07-29-2011, 10:47 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
So, someone said Dreamkur bowed out of this draft? What happens now to his picks?
assuming he's truly out (and he was here and did not make his picks, so he probably is), the picks that the team made will remain intact, and someone will just have to come in to make his last six picks.

I should be able to find a semi-experienced GM to finish the selections off for him. Failing that, we could do something similar to what we did with the AAA11 Dawson City Nuggets, and privately vote on the best players to fill the last six spots. This would ensure that the best (in our minds) players get recognized, while at the same time not giving an absent team a competitive advantage (since these would all be players we passed on when building our own teams)

the second idea would be fun, but it would be a little messier too. A fill-in would be ideal.

Old
07-29-2011, 01:25 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 50
I think ''the place of drew doughty in an all-time sense'' is less important than the harmony between people in this project because drew doughty is gonna be ranked next year anyway , but in order for this project to survive again multiple years we should try to avoid those beefs , if possible ( which was the case )

Last edited by BenchBrawl: 07-29-2011 at 01:31 PM.
BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 01:31 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
I think ''the place of drew doughty in an all-time sense'' is less important than the harmony between people in this project because drew doughty is gonna be ranked next year anyway , but in order for this project to survive again multiple years we should try to avoid those beefs , if possible ( which was the case )
Well said.

Hopefully, we can complete the draft without any more messiness. Hopefully Dreak comes back (but remember he didn't really want to run a team by himself from the beginning and just stepped in to fill in for a GM who signed up, tried to draft Tiny Thompson, and then never came back). If not, it would be great to find someone else to finish the team.

Old
07-29-2011, 02:09 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Who do you want? I'll trade them to you.

Old
07-29-2011, 02:13 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 50
Montreal bad habits select Daymond Langkow C

and

Coach Emile Francis

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 02:16 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Who do you want? I'll trade them to you.
What exactly are you trying to prove?

Old
07-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
What exactly are you trying to prove?
Nothing.

Just enjoying the view of Seventies' real character.