HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Smizik on Steigerwald

Old
05-02-2011, 01:51 PM
SuburbanRhythm
ThorntonSezNoHittin

vCash: 500
Smizik on Steigerwald

Not truly PG, Smizik is no longer a PG employee.

http://communityvoices.sites.post-ga...of-steigerwald

So who wants to go post this on the main boards?

SuburbanRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:03 PM
MtlPenFan

I just heard a rumor that Jersey may not re-sign Doc, and that the Pens might be interested...

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Jaded-Fan

'Although itís never good for someone in my position to admit something like this, I donít watch a lot of hockey during the regular season. Itís no secret hockey is not my favorite sport.'

Smizak is not a hockey or Pens' fan? Color me shocked.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
I just heard a rumor that Jersey may not re-sign Doc, and that the Pens might be interested...
I'm not a huge Doc fan, but he beats the hell out of Steigerwald. The real solution is obvious though...

Sideline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:19 PM
JWells16

Quote:
But the job Steigerwald is doing today is better than the job Lange was doing in 2006.
BS. Lange's production slipped but not to this level.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:21 PM
TheWizardOfCros

Quote:
wow i hope ur serious about that and not just joking around. that would be a great upgrade

TheWizardOfCros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:21 PM
Konstantin Koltsov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
I'm not a huge Doc fan, but he beats the hell out of Steigerwald. The real solution is obvious though...
Mario?

Konstantin Koltsov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:23 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
'Although itís never good for someone in my position to admit something like this, I donít watch a lot of hockey during the regular season. Itís no secret hockey is not my favorite sport.'

Smizak is not a hockey or Pens' fan? Color me shocked.
This. He's saying he doesn't understand why Pittsburgh hates Steigy but at the same time, he admits to not watching alot of hockey. Hm, there's some logic for ya.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:25 PM
Jacob

I agree with the article. It's probably one of the few times I've ever agreed with Smizik.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:28 PM
regard

With two seconds left on our season Steiggerwald felt the need to point out to everyone that "now remember theres no icing in this situation".

Instead of elaborating the horrible realisation that it was all over, he was rambling about stupid **** that didnt matter anyway because there was NO TIME LEFT.

Just a small but important example of why hes bothers me personally.

regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:31 PM
JTG

Lange started to slip a bit when the team was terrible. My beef with Lange was that he held on to the glory days way too much, which is to be expected when a core of players had been there for a very long time. He wasn't talking about the future in the early-mid 2000's. He was talking about the past. At that point, the past meant nothing, and the future is what we were to be excited about.

I still think Lange is the best man for the job, and I do think Steggy gets a bum wrap. He is not a great play by play guy by any stretch, but I have said it before, he was quite a good color man, in my humble opinion, and that article stated why. I do not question Steigerwald's passion for the game or his work ethic. I think he's very knowledgable. The part where Lange separates himself from Steigerwald is the story telling aspect of calling a game. It's just an acquired talent, IMO, and Mike Lange has that talent in spades.

As far as the homer thing...I've never understood why it was such a big deal. He works for a Pittsburgh TV station. Those who see him are from Pittsburgh (though with the streams and such, that has changed, which is why I think he sort of gets the rep he does). I've said before, the last thing I want my announcers doing during my local telecast is going Pierre McGuire on Mike Richards. Giving guys credit...do that. I think Steggy does do that. Where he sometimes goes overboard are obvious things that happen and he tries to sugarcoat them. Pretty much every local announcer does that to a certain extent though. Yes Steggy, Matt Cooke meant to elbow McDonaugh, yes Kunitz meant to get a piece of Gagne, yes our team commits dirty plays too.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:37 PM
SuburbanRhythm
ThorntonSezNoHittin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
Lange started to slip a bit when the team was terrible. My beef with Lange was that he held on to the glory days way too much, which is to be expected when a core of players had been there for a very long time. He wasn't talking about the future in the early-mid 2000's. He was talking about the past. At that point, the past meant nothing, and the future is what we were to be excited about.

I still think Lange is the best man for the job, and I do think Steggy gets a bum wrap. He is not a great play by play guy by any stretch, but I have said it before, he was quite a good color man, in my humble opinion, and that article stated why. I do not question Steigerwald's passion for the game or his work ethic. I think he's very knowledgable. The part where Lange separates himself from Steigerwald is the story telling aspect of calling a game. It's just an acquired talent, IMO, and Mike Lange has that talent in spades.

As far as the homer thing...I've never understood why it was such a big deal. He works for a Pittsburgh TV station. Those who see him are from Pittsburgh (though with the streams and such, that has changed, which is why I think he sort of gets the rep he does). I've said before, the last thing I want my announcers doing during my local telecast is going Pierre McGuire on Mike Richards. Giving guys credit...do that. I think Steggy does do that. Where he sometimes goes overboard are obvious things that happen and he tries to sugarcoat them. Pretty much every local announcer does that to a certain extent though. Yes Steggy, Matt Cooke meant to elbow McDonaugh, yes Kunitz meant to get a piece of Gagne, yes our team commits dirty plays too.
Lange did, IMO, go overboard towards the end of his TV career. He had a huge man crush on Gionta during any Devils game.

SuburbanRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
With two seconds left on our season Steiggerwald felt the need to point out to everyone that "now remember theres no icing in this situation".

Instead of elaborating the horrible realisation that it was all over, he was rambling about stupid **** that didnt matter anyway because there was NO TIME LEFT.

His job is to call the game, not to convey human emotions. He's a play-by-play announcer, not a poet.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:48 PM
regard

I agree with JTG about the whole "homer" thing. But saying that doesn't make much difference.

Its become the "cool thing to do" to be over the top impartial. Calling anyone who roots for their team to the point that they are partial a "homer" makes you a more intelligent fan. Also throwing members of your favorite team under a bus over minor issues.

Old
05-02-2011, 02:53 PM
regard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
His job is to call the game, not to convey human emotions. He's a play-by-play announcer, not a poet.
Im not asking him to be eloquent or assuage anyones feelings.

Just do play-by-play in a way thats relevant to whats happening...

Its the same as anytime in the regular season that he decides to ramble on about random nonsense missing plays that are going on. His play by play makes the game seem more boring than it is.

Old
05-02-2011, 02:55 PM
Eli Cash

vCash: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm View Post
Lange did, IMO, go overboard towards the end of his TV career. He had a huge man crush on Gionta during any Devils game.
He had a huge man-crush on a random player from the other team just about every game, especially when the team was bad. Like it was said before, he didn't really embrace the new youth movement so much, he just gushed over the past and whoever was great on the other team.

Steigerwald isn't perfect, but he's actually pretty good at what he does, and knowledgeable to boot. I'm pretty sure most of the completely overblown hate for the Pens announcers from other fans (not our own fanbase, mind you) is 50% Pens hatred in general, and 50% confirmation bias anyway. I've seen the same degree of homerism and 'stupidity' from every other broadcasting crew. I catch plenty of Sabres games here as well, I should know.

As far our fans go, to each his own. Most of my friends are such 'huge' Pens fans but I doubt they even know who Lange was. 2005 was the NHL's first year, right?

Eli Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:58 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

I love Mike Emrick, most people don't though. I think it all stems from him doing voice over on my back-to-back Pens Stanley Cup VHS tapes. It's rare to find a guy who doesn't have his faults, but Steigy is just embarrassing and that's kind of where I draw the line.

I love Mike Lange also but I think him coming back will tarnish the fond memories we all have of him. His skills have gotten worse and I'd hate to hear a less 100% Mike Lange. Maybe he'll surprise me...but I don't know.

It doesn't matter though...they'll keep Steigy and Errey and they'll continue to feed the tumor in my brain they created over the past 5 years.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Burgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Birth Control View Post
Steigerwald isn't perfect, but he's actually pretty good at what he does, and knowledgeable to boot.
No he isn't. IMO Steigerwald's homerism isn't the worst part of him. He just keeps mistaking one player for another, never seems to know what (if any) penalty has been called, can't explain tactics and can't "storytell". If all someone can do is "A passes to B who shoots but C makes the save" he better get his ABCs right. I feel like Errey has to correct him on half the things he says and that's just shoddy announcing.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:16 PM
regard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
No he isn't. IMO Steigerwald's homerism isn't the worst part of him. He just keeps mistaking one player for another, never seems to know what (if any) penalty has been called, can't explain tactics and can't "storytell". If all someone can do is "A passes to B who shoots but C makes the save" he better get his ABCs right. I feel like Errey has to correct him on half the things he says and that's just shoddy announcing.
Yes its just distracting.

You can almost tell that Errey would correct him even more but he doesnt want to make it worse.

Old
05-02-2011, 03:25 PM
hctopcheds11

Quote:
Source?

hctopcheds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:26 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Like JTG said, my only gripe with Lange is that he got very lazy during the Dark Ages. He just didn't care that much and often sounded like he was falling asleep. He was pretty much mumbling at times. He got back on his horse after that IMO.

The Smizik article, sorry blog, is completely ridiculous. It essentially boils down to "I don't watch much hockey at all but I'm still going to give a broad opinion that's completely invalid."

Steigerwald is horrible unless you're a yinzer who just wants to hear constantly about how great your home teams are, especially when it's not true. The guy puts a positive spin on everything. What's wrong with the truth? For instance when have the Penguins ever played like absolute crap according to Steigerwald? Never. If the team or a player stinks they just ignore it and call the game from a neutral perspective. If the team or a player does anything worth mentioning even once, it's the greatest thing ever. There is nothing anyone can ever say to convince me Steigerwald is any good. There's simply no evidence for it.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:27 PM
WickedWrister

The funny part is that I bet Steiggy reads some message boards in his spare time and he realizes how much people hate him. He HAS mentioned online stuff and the Pensblog during live games, it would be hilarious if he was a poster on here.

I don't think Steiggy would be getting as much **** as he does if there wasn't a Legend calling games 30 feet away from him. I LOVE the James Neal OT game call because the call was perfect. That's was a nice play by play guy can do for you. One of the few times there was genuine emotion by Steigerwald and it sounded good.

I cringe when I think that in 15 years when Sid and Geno are retired, I'll look back at their highlights and Paul Steigerwald will be doing the play-by-play.

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Pancakes

Man oh man.

-Get rid of Steigerwald, replace with Emrick
-Get Sid back
-Get Geno back

can next season start already? If those three things happen I will be the most excited for a Penguins season since we won the Crosby lottery.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:33 PM
JimsDoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post

I noticed that also. Plus during one of the PP's in game 7, he said a few times "If you fans keep booing it doesn't help the players confidence" as if those in attendance can hear him saying that. No need to say that, just call the game.

JimsDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
If you are making that up I will hunt you down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
This. He's saying he doesn't understand why Pittsburgh hates Steigy but at the same time, he admits to not watching alot of hockey. Hm, there's some logic for ya.
Exactly. I had forgotten all about Smizek and now I remember why I forgot him. He's a moron. In order to have a valid opinion you first have to watch a lot of games during the regular season to get a good sample, you putz.

He said he covers the game well?? He's terrible at actual play-calling. He's always rambling on about some stupid **** while the game is going on; it's ridiculous. I didn't even get to hear Lange that often back in the day because I used to see the games on ESPN so I don't have quite the same yinzer bias but Lange is a legend for a reason. Great PBP calling most of his career based on everything I have heard for myself and from others. And of course he had some pretty humorous sayings that generated a lot of conversation among fans on their own. You can't even compare these two guys.

PS Smizbag - Emrick is not the best announcer in hockey, either. It's Jim Hughson. But I'd take Emrick and his "repeatability" every day of the week and twice on Sundays over Steigerwald.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Yes, and his PBP is poor. He constantly wanders off topic, gets behind the action a few seconds, etc. I realize he doesn't have to be as "constantly on" as a radio guy, but he has to be on point a lot more than he is. Errey is the color guy; he's allowed to get away with rambling or saying wonky things. Steigerwald isn't (or shouldn't be).

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote