HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pens sign Jason Williams (1 yr | $600k | 2-way)

Old
08-04-2011, 01:01 PM
JTG

vCash: 500
And I think he could bank on getting 20-30 games here this season. Injuries are going to strike. Also, if I were in his position and a coach even made a comment that made it seem like he was going to give me a chance at the NHL level, I'd stay in North America.

Even if he gets 20 games here, that's 40 games in the Finnish League salary wise seeing as how his NHL salary is double what even the best players make in the Finnish League. 30 games, that's 60 games in the Finnish League. I can see why he would attempt to go in with a crazy offer to see if someone would take it, but just stay in America is European teams balked at it like they did.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:41 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post
Well 2009: Jari Viuhkola $382k (268 548€), Antti Laaksonen $357k (250 545€), Janne Lahti $333k (233 815€) Those were top-3 and I used current currency converter. Top foreign player; Shayne Toporowski $290k (203 705€).
Now I don't know about the taxes in Finland, but in most of Europe it's way better than NA. In Switzerland it's progressive, the more you earn, the more % you pay. But for someone making 105k (like Williams in the AHL) it would probably be like 8k in taxes. But in the Swiss league it's not just what they pay you, but what else you get. The most expensive players (not necessarely the best, for many years, Christian Dube was one of the most expensive players, because he didn't count as a foreigner (you have a limited number of foreigner licenses to use) but played like one)say: "Look, I want 600k, after taxes, plus a house and a car". So in the end, they cost like 1 million a year and have pretty much no other expenses. So an AHL star will make much more playing in most European leagues, unless he just can't translate his game to the bigger ice to save his life and gets released.

Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 01:43 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
And I think he could bank on getting 20-30 games here this season. Injuries are going to strike. Also, if I were in his position and a coach even made a comment that made it seem like he was going to give me a chance at the NHL level, I'd stay in North America.

Even if he gets 20 games here, that's 40 games in the Finnish League salary wise seeing as how his NHL salary is double what even the best players make in the Finnish League. 30 games, that's 60 games in the Finnish League. I can see why he would attempt to go in with a crazy offer to see if someone would take it, but just stay in America is European teams balked at it like they did.
And what's very important in Williams case. He probably knows, this is his last shot at the NHL, if he goes to Europe now, he's gone für good.

Old
08-05-2011, 01:59 AM
OnlyTheBrave*

I was watching the clips on the Pens site and how Williams is now healthy and just really dedicated and motivated to getting his game back on track. I think the fact that he can run the point and has done it with the most successful team the last 2 decades, might let the team give him the benefit of the doubt for possibly making the team.

If Kennedy moves up, I've thought about the idea of seeing a Cooke-Staal-Williams 3rd line, which wouldn't be all that bad really, it just seems like there are so many damn bodies on the team right now.

I vaguely remember Jason Williams, I remember him being fast, always popping up out of nowhere and being a decent point man on the powerplay, but that was all with the Wings. I don't remember him with the Jackets or Stars.

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:41 AM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTheBrave View Post
I vaguely remember Jason Williams, I remember him being fast
Then your memory of him isn't great.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 03:52 AM
OnlyTheBrave*

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Well, apparently on the Pens site, speed was listed as one of his assets.

So um...yeah

Old
08-05-2011, 03:54 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
I think speed was always one of his assets. I don't know if he lost some of it, but he was definitely a fast player.

Old
08-05-2011, 04:00 AM
OnlyTheBrave*

He did say injuries hurt him the last couple of seasons, if he is back to a 100%, maybe we will see that in camp.

Old
08-05-2011, 04:27 AM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Well, apparently on the Pens site, speed was listed as one of his assets.

So um...yeah
Oh well, if the Pens site says so.

So did you remember him being fast, or just read it on a website? He's never been a noted skater.

Justin Williams? Yes, very much. Jason Williams? No.

Old
08-05-2011, 04:46 AM
OnlyTheBrave*

Quote:

So did you remember him being fast, or just read it on a website? He's never been a noted skater.

With the Wings, yes I remember him being a pretty decent skater there.

And damn dude, why the hell are you so damn negative? Did Williams do something to you?

Old
08-05-2011, 06:58 AM
JTG

Quote:

Yeah, I thought there was a mix up between Justin and Jason.

Jason has always been an average skater, even when skating wasn't even close to what it is today.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 07:03 AM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
I didn't know there was a Jason Williams. When I read this I thought it was that guy who played wing for Carolina, but he should be making more than 600k.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 07:21 AM
En Liten Pingvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I'm not sure what is so weird about him asking for more money to play in Europe. I'd do the exact same thing, especially since a Euro team is more willing to give him more money. Am I missing something?
In Finland, there's not lots of teams offering contracts over 300k per year. Tim Thomas, Brian Rafalski, Marek Zidlicky, Olli Jokinen, Jussi Jokinen, Antti Miettinen... no one of them didn't make over 300k per year.

Pori Ässät's whole player budget is excatly same as Pascal Dupuis' salary next year. So, the money Williams' camp was asking would be okay in KHL or in Swiss League, but no way in Finland.

En Liten Pingvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 08:01 AM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Didn't this guy kill his limo driver? What was Shero thinking?

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 05:31 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:
With the Wings, yes I remember him being a pretty decent skater there.

And damn dude, why the hell are you so damn negative? Did Williams do something to you?
"Jason Williams is not a good skater"
"WHY ARE YOU SO NEGATIVE!"

Brilliant.

Old
08-05-2011, 06:57 PM
mpp9

Quote:
I was watching the clips on the Pens site and how Williams is now healthy and just really dedicated and motivated to getting his game back on track. I think the fact that he can run the point and has done it with the most successful team the last 2 decades, might let the team give him the benefit of the doubt for possibly making the team.

If Kennedy moves up, I've thought about the idea of seeing a Cooke-Staal-Williams 3rd line, which wouldn't be all that bad really, it just seems like there are so many damn bodies on the team right now.

I vaguely remember Jason Williams, I remember him being fast, always popping up out of nowhere and being a decent point man on the powerplay, but that was all with the Wings. I don't remember him with the Jackets or Stars.
No offense man but do you post **** just to post it?

"Ok we're talking about the KHL here, not exactly a crap league but not the best in Europe either, it's what, the 3rd most competitive league in Europe? (SEL, DEL, then KHL ?).

That's like saying Morozov could do the same as Radulov if he returned, too. If Radulov ever returns, people can see what he can put up, last I heard I thought he was coming back and then heard nothing.

Be real, Josef Vasicek was a top 10 player there this past season, you have to be somewhat reasonable with expectations."

Do you honestly believe that?

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote