HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Richards Press Event / Interviews [Merged]

Old
07-28-2011, 01:45 PM
qBIRD

vCash: 500
I don't know if someone can tell me, what's up with Gretzky's involvement with our franchise again? (Lombardi mentions him in the video, sorry if this should be in another topic)

I know he was part of the delegation that went to Toronto when we made our play for B. Richards. What exactly is his role?

qBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by qBIRD View Post
I don't know if someone can tell me, what's up with Gretzky's involvement with our franchise again? (Lombardi mentions him in the video, sorry if this should be in another topic)

I know he was part of the delegation that went to Toronto when we made our play for B. Richards. What exactly is his role?
He isn't involved with the organization. Lombardi is just a friend/acquaintance and they talk. Lombardi offered him a job as a consultant to the team, but Gretzky is still weighing his options and seeing what happens around the league.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 02:09 PM
Johnny Utah

I think something might happen with Gretzky soon because the season is getting closer and all the teams are settled on coaches, general managers, etc....Maybe his involvement in the Richards tape and talking to Lombardi will push him to make a decision.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 05:51 PM
KingNothing4

I'm glad Dean said what most of us are thinking about the whole drinking thing. He's 26 with money and wants to have fun, he brings it every game so ppl should just lay off...but they won't, people love drama, even when it doesn't exist, they just make something dramatic...bunch of little girls. Anywho, can't wait for MR to lace em up and Dean's interviews are always fun to watch. Thanks KV

Last edited by KingNothing4: 07-28-2011 at 06:07 PM.
KingNothing4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 06:01 PM
timmeh

I had not pegged Dean Lombardi as a fun type...

timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 06:33 PM
Johnny Utah

So Richards is 26 and Simmonds is 22 and Schenn 19, almost 20.....I wonder how this is all going to play out in say 5 years....Richards will still be under the same deal and 31.....Simmonds will be 27 and possibly a UFA at that point, his next deal puts him at 24 as a RFA again, Schenn will be 25 and probably a RFA....or will be an UFA at that point..? Both Schenn and Simmonds will be RFA's in 2013-2014 when Simmonds 2nd contract expires and Schenn's entry level deal expires.

Old
07-28-2011, 08:43 PM
CNS
A World Alone

MRichie18 Michael Richards
Not the way i wanted to be remembered but it is what it is and time to move forward. Look forward to a fresh start with the @LAKings
9 minutes ago
»
Michael Richards
MRichie18 Michael Richards
The last 3 days all i talked about was my past in #philly, and not once was there a positive thing said. Everything was about off ice junk.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:48 PM
Shellz

It's really is ridiculous how much they focused on something that was probably a joke. That must be the only way bloggers get their views. Sad really.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:06 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

If anyone can tweet him back tell him all we are about is today and tomorrow and how greatful we are to have him as a King. After one season here he is going to see what it feels like to play for a city that embraces its champions like no other in that we allow them their lives away from their sports. I can tell you how great a thing that is by expereince according to people who played for us here.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Johnny Utah

I just tweeted that we are excited to see him wearing #10 on October 7th. Pretty sad that all this negative stuff has got him down.

Old
07-28-2011, 09:17 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
If anyone can tweet him back tell him all we are about is today and tomorrow and how greatful we are to have him as a King. After one season here he is going to see what it feels like to play for a city that embraces its champions like no other in that we allow them their lives away from their sports. I can tell you how great a thing that is by expereince according to people who played for us here.
He never replies to anyone and I doubt he even checks his mentions, which sucks.

Guys like Matt Moulson are cool. He was asking for a new goal song for the Isles and I tweeted him to use Loser by Beck because it describes the Isles last few decades and then tweeted him again with 1985 by Bowling for Soup cause thats the last time they were relevant and he actually replied back to me and we tweeted a bit. Told him I was actually glad he was doing well. Its cool when players can actually interact with fans.

Old
07-28-2011, 09:45 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
He never replies to anyone and I doubt he even checks his mentions, which sucks.
I hope he checks this time. It's mindboggling that the only positive thing I've heard about him in the press and some Flyers fans is Lombardi's comments. You can tell Lombardi is almost beside himself with excitement over getting a player like Richards.

Take good care of him out in LA -- I think I speak for a lot of Flyers and Richards fans - we'll be watching every chance we get.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 09:51 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I hope he checks this time. It's mindboggling that the only positive thing I've heard about him in the press and some Flyers fans is Lombardi's comments. You can tell Lombardi is almost beside himself with excitement over getting a player like Richards.

Take good care of him out in LA -- I think I speak for a lot of Flyers and Richards fans - we'll be watching every chance we get.
I feel bad for you guys. It'd be like us losing Kopi or Doughty.

Richards will be treated great in LA. Less pressure and he gets a fresh start.

Old
07-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
Mike did a great job. It's about the future. This is a huge acquisition and a gossip columnist who is trying to make a name for himself has everyone focused on the wrong side of this.

The Kings are now a contender. A top 4 finish in the west and home ice for the first time is the minimum for this team on paper. Richards has been out of the first round, more than once, Gagne even more.
If we get any production from Penner, it'll be a big step up from the platoon we had at first line left wing last season. And although the sample size was small, Kopitar and the stay puff marshmallow man had some chemistry. He taking DL's challenge seriously is good for us. He should blossom like a flower firework on 4th of July.

We're deep 1-6 on D with a solid 7 in Muzzin. We also have Campbell, Hickey, Voynov, and a possible surprise behind them. We're deep here. And if the Hawks cup team taught us anything is, depth wins.

We're solid in net. I am admittedly worried about Quick having Stephan Fiset syndrome in the playoffs, but with his offseason regiment, his commitment and the results showed last year. We're deep here too. We have Jones, Zatkoff, and we all now Colorado offering the whole farm for Bernier.

I was penciling in Holloway for a 3rd of 4th line spot, we'll have one spot open. **** it, why not have Drury take a physical? See what he's got in the tank. We could use a little more depth at forward. Depth *****es.

Depth for injuries. Depth because we have cap space. Depth wins.

Last edited by Bad Will Hunting: 07-28-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Bad Will Hunting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:16 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
I feel bad for you guys. It'd be like us losing Kopi or Doughty.

Richards will be treated great in LA. Less pressure and he gets a fresh start.
We lost Carter as well so we were hit with the double whammy.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:19 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
We lost Carter as well so we were hit with the double whammy.
I know Carter signed a long term deal but was he really in the same league as Richards? I have no clue how Philly fans viewed Carter so please don't feel like I'm blowing off what you say. I just simply don't know. I thought that many Flyers fans wanted Carter traded to fill other holes but I may be very wrong.

Old
07-28-2011, 11:02 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
I know Carter signed a long term deal but was he really in the same league as Richards? I have no clue how Philly fans viewed Carter so please don't feel like I'm blowing off what you say. I just simply don't know. I thought that many Flyers fans wanted Carter traded to fill other holes but I may be very wrong.
He was the whipping boy for a lot of the same Flyer fans that are hating on Richards. They came in at the same time and Carter was always in Richards' shadow, but what a lot of people fail to realize was that Richards pretty much hit his ceiling early on while Carter had some catching up to do. He put on a lot of muscle, got much better defensively and was our best face off guy. He was the last cut for Team Canada when they announced the Olympic team and when Getzlaf got injured, they had him go out to Vancouver to replace him but Getzlaf ended up able to play. So by many, he was very well thought of.

They signed him to the extension in November and December and for whatever reason cast him off in June.

Those of us who are avid hockey fans know how much we're going to miss both of them. Richie for all the obvious stuff that's been covered here time and time again, Carter because he was by far our best face off guy and best ES scorer. They were our only 2 good defensive forwards, quite ahead of any of the others. Carter could have easily been on the PK but with Richards/Giroux and Betts/Powe, he saw limited time.

That's what pisses off a lot of us, we have some good offensive forwards but defensively they're unproven. Briere is absolutely atrocious but because he puts up points in the playoffs, you don't notice his defense. What many people don't realize is his line wasn't getting the tough defensive lines from the opposing team, it was Richards and Carter who were dealing with all that. Against Chicago in 2010, Richards, Carter and Gagne played together against the Toews line and they basically cancelled each other out. People say their line didn't show up in the final but that wasn't the case at all. This past season vs. Boston, for reasons known only to him, Lavi put the Briere line against Krejci's line, even when the games were in Philly and we had last change. They didn't put up the points and they also didn't score much.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:26 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I just tweeted that we are excited to see him wearing #10 on October 7th. Pretty sad that all this negative stuff has got him down.
I don't think its got him down, sure he's upset but its more fuel for the fire. He's already working out with Penner, and he's ready to do work. Richards doesn't strike me as someone that backs down to petty crap like this.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:34 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
He was the whipping boy for a lot of the same Flyer fans that are hating on Richards. They came in at the same time and Carter was always in Richards' shadow, but what a lot of people fail to realize was that Richards pretty much hit his ceiling early on while Carter had some catching up to do. He put on a lot of muscle, got much better defensively and was our best face off guy. He was the last cut for Team Canada when they announced the Olympic team and when Getzlaf got injured, they had him go out to Vancouver to replace him but Getzlaf ended up able to play. So by many, he was very well thought of.

They signed him to the extension in November and December and for whatever reason cast him off in June.

Those of us who are avid hockey fans know how much we're going to miss both of them. Richie for all the obvious stuff that's been covered here time and time again, Carter because he was by far our best face off guy and best ES scorer. They were our only 2 good defensive forwards, quite ahead of any of the others. Carter could have easily been on the PK but with Richards/Giroux and Betts/Powe, he saw limited time.

That's what pisses off a lot of us, we have some good offensive forwards but defensively they're unproven. Briere is absolutely atrocious but because he puts up points in the playoffs, you don't notice his defense. What many people don't realize is his line wasn't getting the tough defensive lines from the opposing team, it was Richards and Carter who were dealing with all that. Against Chicago in 2010, Richards, Carter and Gagne played together against the Toews line and they basically cancelled each other out. People say their line didn't show up in the final but that wasn't the case at all. This past season vs. Boston, for reasons known only to him, Lavi put the Briere line against Krejci's line, even when the games were in Philly and we had last change. They didn't put up the points and they also didn't score much.

Great post. Thanks for the insight. Never realized Carter was that good defensively. To be honest I don't pay any attention to the east outside of Ottawa so a lot of this was good to know. I honestly don't know what I'd do if Kopi and Doughty got traded so I feel for you guys. Good luck to you this year and enjoy Schenn and Simmer. You'll grow to LOVE Simmer.

Old
07-29-2011, 05:29 AM
bral
Go Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
So Richards is 26 and Simmonds is 22 and Schenn 19, almost 20.....I wonder how this is all going to play out in say 5 years....Richards will still be under the same deal and 31.....Simmonds will be 27 and possibly a UFA at that point, his next deal puts him at 24 as a RFA again, Schenn will be 25 and probably a RFA....or will be an UFA at that point..? Both Schenn and Simmonds will be RFA's in 2013-2014 when Simmonds 2nd contract expires and Schenn's entry level deal expires.

Then we'll wonder again in 9 years. It all depends on how MR ages. When his contract ends he'll be Smyths age and maybe a comparable player in some ways, but unlike Smyth we have MR through his prime years. However it turns out it's got to be regarded as a great trade today. 9yrs. of what MR can provenly bring at $5.75 is extremely valuable. Whats most telling to me is that our ultra-conservative GM just traded for a player with a 9yr. NMC contract.

P.S. I know you're a big fan of the trade Utah and I realize I took the bolded out of context, but it's 3:30 am and i'm bored.

Last edited by bral: 07-29-2011 at 05:42 AM.
bral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 04:08 PM
Cruel11
IRemember&IDemand

Richards interview with O'Neal

Part 1 (very interesting)
http://www.foxsportswest.com/pages/v...1-e41bc8f831d6

Part 2
http://www.foxsportswest.com/pages/v...2-4f9fab5889dc

Stoll shares his thoughts on Mike Richards joining the team.

http://www.foxsportswest.com/pages/v...c-3cb94df67aa9

Last edited by Cruel11: 07-29-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 04:25 PM
Johnny Utah

Also Lombardi and Stoll on Richards at the bottom.

By the way, pretty nice of Stoll to take Mike out to dinner....He knows Justin Williams, Simon Gagne but they don't seem to be around this summer...he said he was talking to Doughty about where to live...so hanging with Stoll, who lives in LA full time, really helps.

Last edited by Johnny Utah: 07-29-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old
07-29-2011, 04:56 PM
TonySCV
Push to the 8th Tee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post

Part 2

Thanks for these Cruel!

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 05:04 PM
Fishhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post

Part 2

Thanks!

One of the better interviews I've seen O'Neal do. There were some solid questions in there, glad to see something different after the same old questions over the last few weeks.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 05:14 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

i for one don't mind all this extra attention on behavior.

This way, even if there was a potential for irresponsibility and immaturity to become a distraction at some point this season, all that is basically washed away with this extra scrutiny. And the kings coaches/management didn't even have to say a word, since all the dirty work was done by someone else.

This just means we'll get an extra focused mike richards this season for our team

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote