HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which retirement hurts the most?

View Poll Results: Which retirement hurts the most?
Draper 8 9.52%
Osgood 8 9.52%
Rafalski 68 80.95%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-30-2011, 08:11 PM
rx7dryver

vCash: 500
I think Draper was still more effective in his role than Ozzie or Rafalski in their roles. But, I voted for Rafalski. Draper and Ozzie can be replaced by a young up and comer but a good offensive defenseman is hard to find.

Rafalski's play in his own zone was bad last year but he still had it on the powerplay. His cap hit for what he brought was a little high but I would still say he is harder to replace.

rx7dryver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 08:07 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

I wasn't particularly attached to any of them, but Rafalski is the best player amongst them and it's the only one that will really show on the ice, so I'll say it's the one that hurts the most.

TheMoreYouKnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 10:00 AM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Yzerman wasn't exactly lighting it up out there his last season.

This fanbase fully embraced and admired Yzerman. Even when his play dipped a lot...it's not like everyone here wanted to kick him to the curb like we have with Ozzie, Draper, Maltby, and Homer as they got older. Yzerman is a guy none of us really wanted to see go but it was the right time for him to retire.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 10:26 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
This fanbase fully embraced and admired Yzerman. Even when his play dipped a lot...it's not like everyone here wanted to kick him to the curb like we have with Ozzie, Draper, Maltby, and Homer as they got older. Yzerman is a guy none of us really wanted to see go but it was the right time for him to retire.
I think losing a goaltender your team drafted and the fans loved for years is impactful, whether it was his time or not.

Like I said, the loss of Yzerman wasn't a hit because of lost skill. The same can be said of Osgood, even if to a lesser degree. I don't think fans are considering it the end of an era for losing Rafalski, a guy who only played for the team 4 years.

Different context.

ArGarBarGar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 05:19 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
I think losing a goaltender your team drafted and the fans loved for years is impactful, whether it was his time or not.

Like I said, the loss of Yzerman wasn't a hit because of lost skill. The same can be said of Osgood, even if to a lesser degree. I don't think fans are considering it the end of an era for losing Rafalski, a guy who only played for the team 4 years.

Different context.
Well, Yzerman was like 20 times more beloved. Yzerman was and probably still is the Red Wing. Meanwhile, Osgood was such an integral part of the team, he lost his starting job a couple of times and was left unprotected on waivers...I don't think he's a Wings "legend".

Old
07-31-2011, 07:37 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Well, Yzerman was like 20 times more beloved. Yzerman was and probably still is the Red Wing. Meanwhile, Osgood was such an integral part of the team, he lost his starting job a couple of times and was left unprotected on waivers...I don't think he's a Wings "legend".
I'm not saying he is a legend. I am saying his personal connection to the team and city is a lot more than Rafalski's.

ArGarBarGar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 11:39 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

I agree about the team, though Rafalski was a major figure on the 2008 and 2009 Cup Finals teams which was quite an impact for a 4 year stint with the Wings.

But city? Rafalski is a Polish guy from Detroit, his family lives in the area. That alone gives him a big tie to many Michiganders and Wings fans.