HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Rip - Nhl

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-04-2004, 08:57 PM
  #1
OlliMackBjugStud
OlliMacBjugStrome
 
OlliMackBjugStud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,641
vCash: 500
Rip - Nhl

So long NHL. It was nice knowing you.

There is no room for compromise, so the league must fold. Really, if neither side will change their position, how can the league ever play another game ?

DR

OlliMackBjugStud is offline  
Old
08-04-2004, 09:25 PM
  #2
TwineSniper
Registered User
 
TwineSniper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,092
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TwineSniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by DementedReality
So long NHL. It was nice knowing you.

There is no room for compromise, so the league must fold. Really, if neither side will change their position, how can the league ever play another game ?

DR

...And the Extreme Negativity Award goes to (drumroll) ?


Same thing was said in 1994. Enough said.

TwineSniper is offline  
Old
08-04-2004, 09:32 PM
  #3
X-SHARKIE
Registered User
 
X-SHARKIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Janesville Wisconsin
Posts: 9,362
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Looks bleak now, Owners won't budge at all for the moment....eventually money is being lost, Players are want money and to play again. Eventually it well get done.

NHL won't die, not a chance. But a lock out is looking likely.

X-SHARKIE is offline  
Old
08-04-2004, 09:34 PM
  #4
islandnucker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ladysmith
Country: Poland
Posts: 2,025
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to islandnucker
Are there any owners out there that solely rely on their NHL club for income though? I think that Edmonton is a little different but for the most part I'm sure that the owners can last longer then the players because this isn't where they make the bucks, I think.

If I'm wrong, please say so.

islandnucker is offline  
Old
08-04-2004, 09:40 PM
  #5
se7en*
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandnucker
Are there any owners out there that solely rely on their NHL club for income though? I think that Edmonton is a little different but for the most part I'm sure that the owners can last longer then the players because this isn't where they make the bucks, I think.
What do you mean? They also get players tax, lotteries, and they will make some extra cash since there AHL team is playing IN Edmonton.

se7en* is offline  
Old
08-04-2004, 09:40 PM
  #6
OlliMackBjugStud
OlliMacBjugStrome
 
OlliMackBjugStud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The~Franchise
...And the Extreme Negativity Award goes to (drumroll) ?


Same thing was said in 1994. Enough said.
sorry it went over your head.

dr

OlliMackBjugStud is offline  
Old
08-04-2004, 09:44 PM
  #7
Teemu
Moderator
 
Teemu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Palatine
Country: United States
Posts: 20,389
vCash: 500
Now THAT'S pessimism

Teemu is offline  
Old
08-04-2004, 10:00 PM
  #8
islandnucker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ladysmith
Country: Poland
Posts: 2,025
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to islandnucker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootchie Cootchie
What do you mean? They also get players tax, lotteries, and they will make some extra cash since there AHL team is playing IN Edmonton.
I thought that Edmonton was owned by a bunch of business men from Edmonton? In my little theoritical world the "smaller" business men that make up that group couldn't continue to pay whatever costs they would have to pay for as long as other teams can.

In case this goes in this direction, I wasn't taking any potshots at Edmonton.

islandnucker is offline  
Old
08-04-2004, 10:20 PM
  #9
The Rage
Registered User
 
The Rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stamford Bridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandnucker
I thought that Edmonton was owned by a bunch of business men from Edmonton? In my little theoritical world the "smaller" business men that make up that group couldn't continue to pay whatever costs they would have to pay for as long as other teams can.

In case this goes in this direction, I wasn't taking any potshots at Edmonton.
I think the Oilers owners really want a salary cap, and they have planned for a long lockout to get that. Hopefully.

The Rage is offline  
Old
08-04-2004, 10:24 PM
  #10
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,357
vCash: 500
I hope the owners stick to their guns and break the union. If it means losing a season or two and a few teams in the process, so be it. Sometimes you have to destroy something in order to rebuild and fix it.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline  
Old
08-04-2004, 10:25 PM
  #11
Rooselk
Registered User
 
Rooselk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mount Vernon, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 373
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Rooselk
I have been a union member for many years. And I've negotiated a mumber of contracts in that time. I still have hope that both sides will come to their senses. But I don't believe there will be any movement until both sides have their backs against the wall and the clock is running out. The NHL and the NHLPA might as well use this time to get plenty of rest because they're going to be puting in some long hours come the second week of September.

Rooselk is offline  
Old
08-04-2004, 10:27 PM
  #12
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooselk
...they're going to be puting in some long hours come the second week of September.
My guess would be January, which is likely the latest they could go and still have a 40 game season and playoffs.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline  
Old
08-05-2004, 02:47 AM
  #13
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 27,526
vCash: 500
Oh, the melodrama!

Sorry, the original premise of this thread cannot be serious. Does anyone really believe this?!

Trottier is offline  
Old
08-05-2004, 10:45 AM
  #14
MacDaddy TLC*
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Leafin La Vida Loca
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
I hope the owners stick to their guns and break the union. If it means losing a season or two and a few teams in the process, so be it. Sometimes you have to destroy something in order to rebuild and fix it.
My sentiments exactly. The PA long outserved it's purpose. The players make enough money that they should be treated as independent contractors instead of being 'protected' by a union.

MacDaddy TLC* is offline  
Old
08-05-2004, 10:53 AM
  #15
Wisent
Registered User
 
Wisent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Mannheim
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandnucker
Are there any owners out there that solely rely on their NHL club for income though? I think that Edmonton is a little different but for the most part I'm sure that the owners can last longer then the players because this isn't where they make the bucks, I think.

If I'm wrong, please say so.

Players won't starve if they don't get to play. If they haven't already earned millions they will find work in another league for sure.

Wisent is offline  
Old
08-05-2004, 11:05 AM
  #16
JV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: na
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,480
vCash: 500
The notion that the NHL will simply fold can't be taken seriously. But the league may be on its way to a radical downsizing. Perhaps down to 24 teams within 4 to 6 years.

JV is offline  
Old
08-05-2004, 11:06 AM
  #17
islandnucker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ladysmith
Country: Poland
Posts: 2,025
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to islandnucker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent
Players won't starve if they don't get to play. If they haven't already earned millions they will find work in another league for sure.
But would you rather earn the $2-$3M max that would come to the best players or more? No one knows how long it's going to last but if it goes for quite a while that's a lot of money to be losing out on.

islandnucker is offline  
Old
08-05-2004, 11:11 AM
  #18
Wisent
Registered User
 
Wisent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Mannheim
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,667
vCash: 500
If I had 2 or 3 mio, I'd stop working right now. No need to have more, in my opinion.

Wisent is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.