HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Would a lockout hurt hockey in your city?

Closed Thread

Old
08-04-2004, 09:48 PM
Hemsky is a gangsta
Hemsky is a gangsta

vCash: 500
Would a lockout hurt hockey in your city?

Just to get an idea

In Edmonton, no, a half to full season wiped out probably wouldn't hurt hockey at all. Same goes for the other 4 canadian cities and Toronto.

Old
08-04-2004, 09:51 PM
ftyutin51

Not at all in New York. We have 7 other teams to watch! Go Yankees!

Old
08-04-2004, 09:53 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
The Habs have an enough loyal fanbase to survive a 10 years lockout.

Old
08-04-2004, 09:59 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Probably not. The city doesn't really notice that we have a hockey team till January anyway. Columbus is a just a large campus.

Old
08-04-2004, 10:10 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley

Same with most Canadian cities. Financially the Flames & Oilers might be hurt badly but they should survive OK, Ottawa & Nucks have rich enough owners to be fine, Habs base is huge, TO have buckets of money. In all the cities the fans would flock back after being hockey starved.

Old
08-04-2004, 10:19 PM
Rooselk

Send a message via Yahoo to Rooselk
I live half way between Seattle and Vancouver, BC. Since hockey is hardly a blip on the screen around here a lockout certainly would have no effect. Not so on the Canadian side of the border, though. As an American hockey fan living in a football region I would personally be effectived since I'm a Canucks season ticket holder.

Old
08-04-2004, 10:39 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
For Los Angeles...

Yes. LA has a small group of loyal and hardcore fans that will come back no matter what. But there are not enough of them and definitely not enough to fill an arena. The organization has always relied on the fringe fan, the transition fan, the casual fan to fill the arena. If a lockout occurred, a lot of those fans would disappear and it would be a long time before they came back. An impasse would not destroy the fan base, but it would definitely take a hit. But I think that is something this organization is now prepared to risk.

08-04-2004, 10:42 PM
Killer 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick
the other 4 canadian cities and Toronto.
The other 4 canadian cities and Toronto?

Old
08-04-2004, 10:48 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:
Just to get an idea

In Edmonton, no, a half to full season wiped out probably wouldn't hurt hockey at all. Same goes for the other 4 canadian cities and Toronto.

Old
08-04-2004, 11:14 PM
DynastyWings05

Quote:
Just to get an idea

4 other Canadian cities and Toronto? I don't get it.

Old
08-04-2004, 11:18 PM
PanthersRule96

Not long term in FLA, because few ppl go to the games anyways. It depends, if they win, they will sell out.

Old
08-04-2004, 11:21 PM
sandman441

Send a message via Yahoo to sandman441
it actually might make more people go if gomez plays for the aces (echl team) but right now he said he is going to italy. Ty conklin, a few other alaskans. But gomez would probably be the main attraction.

Old
08-04-2004, 11:34 PM
Colonial Blue

In Pittsburgh, most certainly. Our organization is trying to get public support for a new arena or at least a slot license for Mario Lemieux (quick plug for Slotsformario.com to sign the petition if you have not already) to fund the new building. A lockout that provided the NHL with a salary cap, revenue sharing, and the NHL's favorite phrase "cost certainty" would be beneifical for the franchise. So it really could go either way, but I know the city was very excited about the young teams winning streak at the end of the season and the Pens off season moves, so it would hurt the momentum built up.

Old
08-04-2004, 11:53 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Hockey has such a unique position in Nashville's sports spectrum. Baseball's lockout was big news. Papers all over were writing about the greedy players or owners. A hockey lockout might just fly under the radar and when the season pops back up, it might not miss a beat. Sure, the diehards will know. But these are the same diehards who'd show up to the hockey game if it was two polar bears a stick and a puck.

I'm not sure it will kill hockey in Nashville. It certainly won't help. But this is one instance where hockey's low profile might be to it's advantage.

Old
08-05-2004, 12:10 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Denver: yes and no

Kronke is richer than Mammon and owns the arena. College hockey is in great shape DU is deffending the national title. Football will dominate until January anyway and there is no way anyone will get worse press than CU.

Some time off may help with the pressure on the team

On the otherhand the Nuggets are on an upswing and might take the 2nd spot in the sports landscape.

Old
08-05-2004, 12:11 AM
Shappa

It would probably devistate Tampa at this moment, we're riding a huge high from the Stanley cup, people know about and are behind the team, and I'm sure that missing an entire season and letting the Buc's have the entire market would treat Tampa very badly.

Old
08-05-2004, 10:21 AM
The Kitner Boy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley

Are you delusional or just plain stupid? I don't care how loyal you think a sports team fans are, a long-term lockout will hurt all teams. Asides from people with nothing else to do, who is going to sit around and wait for the NHL to get their heads out of their ***** and make the league work? I have been a season ticket hold for the Hurricanes since they moved to Raleigh and I generally support the team. If there is a lockout for an extended amount of time I will spend my entertainment dollars elsewhere. There are enough options that I don't have to wait for the NHL to come back. Montreal is a great city (from what I have seen on my trips there) and I am sure there are other things going on their other than hockey. People will find other things to do.

Last edited by The Kitner Boy: 08-05-2004 at 01:51 PM.
Old
08-05-2004, 10:25 AM
Erngueva

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. X
Are you delusional or just plain stupid? I don't care how loyal you think a sports team fans are, a long-term lockout will hurt all teams. Asides from people with nothing else to do, who is going to sit around and wait for the NHL to get their heads out of their ***** and make the league work? I have been a season ticket hold for the Hurricanes since they moved to Raleigh and I generally support the team. If there is a lockout for an extended amount of time I will spend my entertainment dollars elsewhere. There are enough options that I don't have to wait for the NHL to come back. Montreal is a great city (from what I have seen on my trips their) and I am sure there are other things going on their other than hockey. People will find other things to do.
I dont think he is stupid. Maybe YOU should go to Montreal to see what is the city before calling someone stupid. Montreal is not a hockey city. It's a Montreal Canadiens City.

Old
08-05-2004, 10:33 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
In the short term it could be very painful for Pittsburgh, but for the long term it may be the best thing to happen to us since...umm...drafting Evgeni Malkin...but besides that...

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
08-05-2004, 10:57 AM
Happy_Gilmore's_Dad

My St. Louis Opinion -

The Blues always seem to draw a pretty good # of fans with approx. 15 sellouts a year. The Savvis Center holds around 20,000 fans and I'm guessing that the average attendance is around 16,000 to 17,000 per game.

With that said - a 1 to 2 year lockout would hurt this city pretty bad. This city is and always will be Baseball first and I could see a lockout causing the Blues to lose approx. 4-5 thousand fans per game. All of the Business Seats would probably be shifted to the Cardinals especially with the new stadium in 2006.

We have our loyal fans......but way more bandwagon fans that join in when the football season is over.

Last edited by Happy_Gilmore's_Dad: 08-05-2004 at 11:23 AM.
Old
08-05-2004, 11:58 AM
JFPIV

I suspect that it will kill hockey in Chicago, since most people don't recognize that the Hawks exist as it is.

At home in Indianapolis, it may actually help. The addicts, like myself, will be forced (I'd go anyway) to go to the USHL games to get our fix. The local franchise is actually playing on that fact in its season ticket advertising.

Old
08-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Steve L*

Hockey wont be affected one single bit here as we dont even have a single rink.

Old
08-05-2004, 12:10 PM
guitaraholic*

here in Chicago nobody would notice, even fewer would care.

Old
08-05-2004, 12:15 PM
blitzkriegs

Yes, a lockout hurts every city.

Why? because all the local businesses that people attend before/after a game (or during) will not see the same people spending traffic.

How about the bars, hotels, restaurants, markets, fast-food, etc. around your home arena? Without 13-19K people going in the direction of the arena, that's a lot of lost revenue for local businesses.

There goes the steak dinner before the game, the pre-game beers at a local bar, the post-game beers/dinner.

Clothing retailers will suffer as well. No games, no interest in the licensed shirts, jerseys, hats, etc... Then add in Christmas season if still no hockey.... Discounts move merchandise, but also hurt a companies bottom line.

The lockout offers ZERO benefit to your local businesses.

Old
08-05-2004, 12:19 PM
guitaraholic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
Yes, a lockout hurts every city.

Why? because all the local businesses that people attend before/after a game (or during) will not see the same people spending traffic.

How about the bars, hotels, restaurants, markets, fast-food, etc. around your home arena? Without 13-19K people going in the direction of the arena, that's a lot of lost revenue for local businesses.
Nahhh. Chicago is such a large area for food and restaraunts, hotels, conventions and all the rest (the northside is essentially one big entertainment district) that the tiny amounts of revenue generated by the Hawks would be essentially unnoticed by it's absence. Chicago is much, much bigger than any hockey team ever will be. The city itself and it's vendors won't feel a pinch in the slightest. Perhaps your argument would hold water in smaller cities like St.Louis but not in a major, international city like Chicago.

Closed Thread