HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tom Renney Interview?

Old
07-26-2011, 08:53 PM
BestWestern

vCash: 500
Tom Renney Interview?

I missed the Tom Renney interview today, does anyone have a link to the interview ? Or has it not been archived yet?

BestWestern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:18 PM
abootzky

http://www.theteam1260.com/Episodes.aspx?PID=1741

abootzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:26 PM
Everest

I was listening while driving today. I had to shut it off after a few minutes of Renney's impersonation of Deepak Chopra.

And I have serious doubts he is the Coach next season.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:27 PM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
I was listening while driving today. I had to shut it off after a few minutes of Renney's impersonation of Deepak Chopra.

He will be.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Cam98

Quote:

and whys that?... he is a very likable coach, players like him.

Cam98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:55 PM
SephF
[b][/b]

Quote:

hahahah what? Who's going to coach then?

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 10:00 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam98 View Post
and whys that?... he is a very likable coach, players like him.
Finishing dead last 2 straight years doesn't do ANYTHING for his shelf life here and unless the team does a total 180....this culture of losing is going to have to be dealt with under extreme prejudice.

I like Tom. I respect his insight. I just dont see how its possible for ALL the strides this team has to take, happening under one coaching regime. They'll need to bring in new ideas with fresh energy at some point. Sooner, rather than later, is best.

Old
07-26-2011, 10:03 PM
SephF
[b][/b]

Well to be fair to Tom Patt Quinn was the head coach for one of those seasons and he hasn't had a great team to work with....

Old
07-26-2011, 10:09 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam83 View Post
hahahah what? Who's going to coach then?
I would think that would be dependant upon who is available if/when we're looking for a new coach, wouldn't it?

Old
07-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Alex87

Quote:
Finishing dead last 2 straight years doesn't do ANYTHING for his shelf life here and unless the team does a total 180....this culture of losing is going to have to be dealt with under extreme prejudice.

I like Tom. I respect his insight. I just dont see how its possible for ALL the strides this team has to take, happening under one coaching regime. They'll need to bring in new ideas with fresh energy at some point. Sooner, rather than later, is best.
Not too many players left from 09/10 on the current squad... sure there's a few but... the so called "culture of losing" isn't this perpetual atmosphere that persists regardless of the circumstances. The 09/10 team was a loser squad of overpaid underachieving players. The 10/11 was a raw, inexperienced team that was thin at many positions. If you don't see the culture change from season to season there, you're not looking hard enough.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 10:12 PM
SephF
[b][/b]

Do you mean for 2011-2012 or 2012-2013? Because there's not many coaches left to choose from right now... Mac-T?

Old
07-26-2011, 10:40 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
Not too many players left from 09/10 on the current squad... sure there's a few but... the so called "culture of losing" isn't this perpetual atmosphere that persists regardless of the circumstances. The 09/10 team was a loser squad of overpaid underachieving players. The 10/11 was a raw, inexperienced team that was thin at many positions. If you don't see the culture change from season to season there, you're not looking hard enough.
There is no doubt there were some improvements in attitude.

But its important to keep in mind just how BAD the team was 2 years ago. They had nowhere to go but up!

And I think we will see continued improvements for 30-40 games next winter.

The trick for Tom Renney will be what happens after that. He doesn't appear to be the type of guy to unlock all the secrets of winning, IMO.

I think it will end up taking at least one more coaching change before we truly have a full team buying into what it takes to be a winner.

Old
07-26-2011, 10:43 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
No. Just no to everything Everest is saying.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 10:47 PM
cheesed-off*

Quote:

Honestly, don't you realize this was a premeditated and entirely strategized tank?

The Oilers mastered tank strategy better than anything Heinz Guderian or Liddell Hart could ever dream of.

[Ending on preposition - my bad.]

cheesed-off* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 10:49 PM
SephF
[b][/b]

Quote:
There is no doubt there were some improvements in attitude.

But its important to keep in mind just how BAD the team was 2 years ago. They had nowhere to go but up!

And I think we will see continued improvements for 30-40 games next winter.

The trick for Tom Renney will be what happens after that. He doesn't appear to be the type of guy to unlock all the secrets of winning, IMO.

I think it will end up taking at least one more coaching change before we truly have a full team buying into what it takes to be a winner.
I could agree with you there, Renney is a good transitional coach for this time in the organizations history.

Cheesed-off is completely correct.

Old
07-26-2011, 11:05 PM
cheesed-off*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam83 View Post
I could agree with you there, Renney is a good transitional coach for this time in the organizations history.

Cheesed-off is completely correct.
Say it again, wise and perceptive pupil.

cheesed-off* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:08 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesed-off View Post
Honestly, don't you realize this was a premeditated and entirely strategized tank?

The Oilers mastered tank strategy better than anything Heinz Guderian or Liddell Hart could ever dream of.

[Ending on preposition - my bad.]
Nope. I don't buy that for a second.

I would go as far as saying management didn't bend over backwards to make this team into a winner the last 2 years.

But being dead last....and not just dead last....dead last by a landslide...wasn't something anyone could have planned.

And don't get me wrong....Renney isn't at fault for where we've been finishing. I admit, there was very little he could do.

But I don't think he's the guy to make a difference when the time arrives where we DO need a coach who can be a game/team changer.

At the very least...there has to be a realization amongst management that 'due diligence' requires a somewhat open door policy towards the possibility of improving upon the coaching facet of the team.

There was a time when I was on the opposite end of the philosophical spectrum in reagrds to coaching. There was a time when I swore up & down we needed to retain Mac-T until the bitter end.

I was wrong on that one. We ended up being coaching by a guy who was burnt out for 2 years prior to his firing.

We can't waste time/talent like that this time around.

Old
07-26-2011, 11:17 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Listening to Renney talk to the media or do pressers he doesn't sound stressed out or burned out.

Not like Pat Quinn did.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:20 PM
SephF
[b][/b]

I don't think they expected the tank to work so 'well' but the roster was definitely set up to fail

Old
07-26-2011, 11:33 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Listening to Renney talk to the media or do pressers he doesn't sound stressed out or burned out.

Not like Pat Quinn did.
Really? I'll respect whatever each individual gathers from reading between the lines.

Humour me by extending me the same courtesy for a moment and understand that I personally feel like Renney is already well past the point of rescue here.

To me, he seems to be dead last in the line-up where toughness was being handed out.

Or maybe he's issued himself a gag order to NOT say whats on his mind and tell Oil Country just how soft/weak and edible this team has become?

Idunno. But something is just very wrong about NOT throwing hellacious fits in response to all this LOSING!!!

If I were the Oilers Coach....I would spend this off season dressed in poplar tree themed camoflauge...stalking the home(s) and frequented venues of these Oilers....taking EVERY opportunity to ambush them as they go about daily routines...in attempt to 'shock proof' the youngsters against the frenzied pursuance(s) of all the seasoned hockey teams which will (continue) to come after them w/o fear or hesitation this winter.

They are STILL....easy & fun to play against.

Old
07-26-2011, 11:46 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
The last guy who threw fits was fired faster than you want Renney fired.

Also it may end up being true but let's wait until they play one single game this year before saying they are still easy and fun to play against.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:52 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
The last guy who threw fits was fired faster than you want Renney fired.

Also it may end up being true but let's wait until they play one single game this year before saying they are still easy and fun to play against.
You go right ahead and wait.

I'll say it right now: Siging Hordichuk & Eager doesn't do anything substantial for this team.

I believe the teams' personality will (and should) reflect towards much of what the COACH instills upon them.

And I DO see 'Tom Renney' in this team. I'm just not so sure thats going to be enough.

Old
07-27-2011, 01:17 AM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Really? I'll respect whatever each individual gathers from reading between the lines.

Humour me by extending me the same courtesy for a moment and understand that I personally feel like Renney is already well past the point of rescue here.

To me, he seems to be dead last in the line-up where toughness was being handed out.

Or maybe he's issued himself a gag order to NOT say whats on his mind and tell Oil Country just how soft/weak and edible this team has become?

Idunno. But something is just very wrong about NOT throwing hellacious fits in response to all this LOSING!!!

If I were the Oilers Coach....I would spend this off season dressed in poplar tree themed camoflauge...stalking the home(s) and frequented venues of these Oilers....taking EVERY opportunity to ambush them as they go about daily routines...in attempt to 'shock proof' the youngsters against the frenzied pursuance(s) of all the seasoned hockey teams which will (continue) to come after them w/o fear or hesitation this winter.

He could always pull a Laviolette I suppose. In case people missed it, he was the central story in today's Off the Record. They were arguing the point that he asked his players, 6 times up to this point, to go 1 month without drinking, in writing. Let's ask a 37 year old players with 15 years of playing in the NHL to sign a statement declaring he will not drink for 1 month. That'll shake things up in a hurry!

Dorian2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 01:26 AM
Philly85
Raps'

As much as I like him as a person and teacher, he strikes me as a guy who probably overcoaches and overthink in plenty of situations, potentially psyching himself and several of his players out in the process. I'm definitely not convinced he's a viable long term coach/leader of men, as intelligent and eloquent as he is. Then again I'm just another fan with an opinion.

I do like him though.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 01:45 AM
HopelessOilFan

I personally think this is one topic that speculation is 100% futile, and can only lead to bad things (See mact).

As fans, we have no idea how players react to certain coaches. Just because you might not be inspired by the one speech you've ever seen him give, doesn't mean the players don't eat it up.

Just because he threw a player in the shootout that you didn't agree with, doesn't mean there wasn't a totally valid reason.

If we saw a clip from oil change of him calling out a player and yelling, i guarantee that would leave a sour taste in peoples mouths, but how do we know that isn't what that player responds well to?

At the same time, calling him a great coach based on the few interviews we've seen, and decisions we agree with, is equally uninformed.

Fans complaining about coaching is like a blind person complaining about a painting. You will never see enough of it to make a judgement call, unless you're one of the players he is coaching.

The only people that should have any say, are the players, and the people he works with.

I personally think he's a nice guy, and is great in interviews, and is quick on his feet. His coaching abilities, well the only thing we can base it on is his record last season, which shouldn't be held against him. If in a years time or so when this team starts to mature, i don't see some results, then i may question if he's the right guy for the job based solely on his record.

HopelessOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote