HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Puck Daddy's 25 Right Wings (It's worse than the center list)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-26-2011, 08:59 PM
  #1
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 10,520
vCash: 500
Puck Daddy's 25 Right Wings (It's worse than the center list)

Quote:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-wp9710

It's a great time to reside on the right wing, a position that's home to many of the league's most feared power forwards and potent goal-scorers. Several right wingers are both, such as reigning Hart Trophy winner Corey Perry(notes) of Anaheim, Calgary's perpetual Flame Jarome Iginla(notes) and Columbus biggie Rick Nash(notes). Add to that power pack the likes of New Jersey's Ilya Kovalchuk(notes), Chicago's Patrick Kane(notes), the Rangers' Marian Gaborik(notes) and Tampa Bay's Martin St. Louis(notes), and you can appreciate the position's star quality. And you can gauge the position's star quantity, too, by looking at the honorable mentions that didn't quite crack the list, such as Ottawa all-timer Daniel Alfredsson(notes) and rising Ranger Ryan Callahan(notes).
No Pominville, no Stafford.

Special lols to Jagr being on the list at all, Giroux and Briere both being considered RWs despite playing center for basically all season and all season respectively, Martin Erat at 24, Loui Eriksson at RW, Ales Hemsky at 12 and Gaborik above St. Louis.

Man, I need to get back on that writing tip

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:13 PM
  #2
dire wolf
be cool
 
dire wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cali
Country: United States
Posts: 4,039
vCash: 500
terrible

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:20 PM
  #3
Afino
The Juice
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 20,701
vCash: 500
What, no Jag.....oh.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:24 PM
  #4
CowbellConray
Registered User
 
CowbellConray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,014
vCash: 500
I dont even bother with them. I think that Stafford is a top 20 and Pominville is a top 25 winger but these dummies think differently

CowbellConray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:25 PM
  #5
TehDoak
General Zad
 
TehDoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 17,526
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
HA. I wonder where Vanek will rank? 24? Briere and Giroux as RWers?? Franzen ?? JAGR?? A guy who, if he's lucky, will pot 20? ERAT?

I'm sorry, I want this guy in fantasy team.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 10:16 PM
  #6
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,078
vCash: 50
I'm beginning to wonder if Mr. McCaig is aware that there's a NHL team in Buffalo.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 10:18 PM
  #7
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,078
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
HA. I wonder where Vanek will rank? 24? Briere and Giroux as RWers?? Franzen ?? JAGR?? A guy who, if he's lucky, will pot 20? ERAT?

I'm sorry, I want this guy in fantasy team.
Briere and Giroux in there is ridiculous. I mean, use your head. They don't have Carter and Richards. Who'd be their top-6 centers if not Briere and Giroux? Schenn and Max Talbot? Idiots.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 10:30 PM
  #8
MyersMagic57*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,420
vCash: 500
How can Jagr be even ranked if he hasn't played in the nhl in like 4 years. And if Grabner as a rookie scored 30+ is HM, how is Stafford not?

MyersMagic57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 10:38 PM
  #9
Myllz
Pavelski Lite
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 13,010
vCash: 500
In before the LW list has Vanek as an HM.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 12:24 AM
  #10
Sabres1026*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 305
vCash: 500
Think Miller would make his top 25 goalie rankings?

Sabres1026* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 03:59 AM
  #11
Duddy
Everyday is
 
Duddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Austria
Posts: 10,381
vCash: 500
I didn't know that both Nash and Kovalchuk are RWs, always thought they're LW.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 07:20 AM
  #12
Mergus merganser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
I didn't know that both Nash and Kovalchuk are RWs, always thought they're LW.

I also don't view Nash as the 4th best RW in the game. The guy is a consistent 30 goal/60 point winger, but he isn't posting huge points. He also isn't winning a selke any time soon.

They can use the Columbus excuse all they want, but he is consistantly overrated.

Mergus merganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 07:52 AM
  #13
ct2111
Registered User
 
ct2111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
I didn't know that both Nash and Kovalchuk are RWs, always thought they're LW.
They can play both wings. Kovalchuk is a natural LW, Nash too I think, but not sure about that.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 07:57 AM
  #14
ct2111
Registered User
 
ct2111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergus merganser View Post
I also don't view Nash as the 4th best RW in the game. The guy is a consistent 30 goal/60 point winger, but he isn't posting huge points. He also isn't winning a selke any time soon.

They can use the Columbus excuse all they want, but he is consistantly overrated.
Same here, I laugh at people willing to give up half their team for Nash, but come with the argument that they won't do that for Vanek, because he is overpaid and that that hurts his value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowbellConray View Post
I dont even bother with them. I think that Stafford is a top 20 and Pominville is a top 25 winger but these dummies think differently
I wonder how the Sabres even made the playoffs with a bunch of 2nd and 3rd liners and a bad defense. So Miller did single-handily carry them to the promised land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
HA. I wonder where Vanek will rank? 24? Briere and Giroux as RWers?? Franzen ?? JAGR?? A guy who, if he's lucky, will pot 20? ERAT?

I'm sorry, I want this guy in fantasy team.
Don't forget Ales 'I played less games than Connolly in the last 4 years' at 12.


Last edited by ct2111: 07-27-2011 at 08:07 AM.
ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 08:13 AM
  #15
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 16,819
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgn View Post
They can play both wings. Kovalchuk is a natural LW, Nash too I think, but not sure about that.
To be fair to the article, I believe Kovie was playing RW in NJ last season, which fits the concept of the article as if true it'd project him at the same position this season. What makes no sense is that they don't apply the same logic to guys like Girioux and Briere who certainly project to center this season and thus should have been on the centers list.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 08:19 AM
  #16
walle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northpole
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyersMagic57 View Post
How can Jagr be even ranked if he hasn't played in the nhl in like 4 years.
Its a damn prediction, not a ranking. How you rank something what has not happened?

walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 08:21 AM
  #17
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 16,819
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergus merganser View Post
I also don't view Nash as the 4th best RW in the game. The guy is a consistent 30 goal/60 point winger, but he isn't posting huge points. He also isn't winning a selke any time soon.

They can use the Columbus excuse all they want, but he is consistantly overrated.
True that. Nash is the kind of guy who would be fantastic on a good team with a strong play-making center but he can't carry a team and probably doesn't make his linemates better beyond the production he provides them (which is considerable). That's true of the majority of goal scorers, so I'm not knocking him. As a point of comparison, Stafford had similar per-game numbers (better goals, worse assists) last season. Obviously, that's just one season and Stafford is in a better situation; I'm certainly not saying Stafford is better, but if Stafford proves last season wasn't a fluke the gap between them would not be Nash #4 and Stafford not even an honorable mention.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 08:25 AM
  #18
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgn View Post
They can play both wings. Kovalchuk is a natural LW, Nash too I think, but not sure about that.
I'm pretty sure Nash plays predominantly at LW.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 08:25 AM
  #19
ct2111
Registered User
 
ct2111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
To be fair to the article, I believe Kovie was playing RW in NJ last season, which fits the concept of the article as if true it'd project him at the same position this season. What makes no sense is that they don't apply the same logic to guys like Girioux and Briere who certainly project to center this season and thus should have been on the centers list.
According to dobberhockey (http://www.dobberhockey.com/frozenpo...ations&sent=go) those were the 5 lines he played the most frequently on:
30.6% EV 17 KOVALCHUK,ILYA - 32 PALMIERI,NICK - 19 ZAJAC,TRAVIS
7.21% EV 17 KOVALCHUK,ILYA - 15 LANGENBRUNNER,JAMIE - 19 ZAJAC,TRAVIS
5.05% EV 17 KOVALCHUK,ILYA - 9 PARISE,ZACH - 19 ZAJAC,TRAVIS
3.4% EV 17 KOVALCHUK,ILYA - 18 VASYUNOV,ALEXANDER - 8 ZUBRUS,DAINIUS
3.25% EV 17 KOVALCHUK,ILYA - 21 TEDENBY,MATTIAS - 19 ZAJAC,TRAVIS

Palmieri and Langenbrunner are listed as RW, Vasyunov and Parise as LW and Tedenby as both (LW at yahoo, RW at NHL.com). I would say he played LW more based on those stats. If they project him on a line with Parise, it would make sense to have him at RW, but as you said, then they should've had Giroux and Briere projected for center.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 08:32 AM
  #20
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,012
vCash: 500
Seems like he put about 10 minutes of effort into thinking and researching that list.

There's lots of glaring mistakes all over the place, and not just with Sabres.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 08:33 AM
  #21
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 16,819
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by walle View Post
Its a damn prediction, not a ranking. How you rank something what has not happened? Is reading really that hard?
Because predicting him to be that good is kind of ridiculous. Predicting him to be a better player next season than Grabners, Callahans, and Staffords is REALLY going out on a limb. He should be very effective on their power play and whenever they establish a cycle, but beyond that he is going to be subpar compared to other top wingers (especially in transition). I wish him the best, because it's cool to see a good comeback (though I'd much rather have seen it happen with the Pens), but let's be realistic. Grabner scored 34 goals in 76 games in his first full season, Drew Stafford scored 31 in 62. Callahan got 23 and 25 in 60 with an overall game every team would kill for. Jagr will be lucky to get that sort of production and he certainly will not be as good in other areas as those guys are. And they're just 3 examples.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 08:33 AM
  #22
ct2111
Registered User
 
ct2111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I'm pretty sure Nash plays predominantly at LW.
Thanks.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 08:34 AM
  #23
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 16,819
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgn View Post
According to dobberhockey (http://www.dobberhockey.com/frozenpo...ations&sent=go) those were the 5 lines he played the most frequently on:
30.6% EV 17 KOVALCHUK,ILYA - 32 PALMIERI,NICK - 19 ZAJAC,TRAVIS
7.21% EV 17 KOVALCHUK,ILYA - 15 LANGENBRUNNER,JAMIE - 19 ZAJAC,TRAVIS
5.05% EV 17 KOVALCHUK,ILYA - 9 PARISE,ZACH - 19 ZAJAC,TRAVIS
3.4% EV 17 KOVALCHUK,ILYA - 18 VASYUNOV,ALEXANDER - 8 ZUBRUS,DAINIUS
3.25% EV 17 KOVALCHUK,ILYA - 21 TEDENBY,MATTIAS - 19 ZAJAC,TRAVIS

Palmieri and Langenbrunner are listed as RW, Vasyunov and Parise as LW and Tedenby as both (LW at yahoo, RW at NHL.com). I would say he played LW more based on those stats. If they project him on a line with Parise, it would make sense to have him at RW, but as you said, then they should've had Giroux and Briere projected for center.
I'm not surprised. I was just going on one of the comments in the article from a Devils fan who said he played RW. Thanks for the data.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 10:02 AM
  #24
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted
 
HarryNealesGarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: BOS
Country: United States
Posts: 4,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
In before the LW list has Vanek as an HM.
I sort of hope that happens (or he doesn't make the list at all) just so we can truly say Mr. McCaig has zero credibility whatsoever.

Myers doesnt make D list
Miller is 23rd


HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 10:03 AM
  #25
ADoubleD
Registered User
 
ADoubleD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergus merganser View Post
I also don't view Nash as the 4th best RW in the game. The guy is a consistent 30 goal/60 point winger, but he isn't posting huge points. He also isn't winning a selke any time soon.

They can use the Columbus excuse all they want, but he is consistantly overrated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgn View Post
Same here, I laugh at people willing to give up half their team for Nash, but come with the argument that they won't do that for Vanek, because he is overpaid and that that hurts his value.
Nash's career numbers:

592 GP 259 G 229 A 488 PTS which averages out to about .824 PPG and .438 GPG.

Vanek's career numbers:

469 GP 204 G 182 A 386 PTS which averages out to about .823 PPG and .435 GPG.

Yeah not much of a difference. Nash may have been playing on bad Columbus teams, but his production does not warrant how he gets hyped up.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.