HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Calgary the Best Hockey City

Closed Thread

Old
08-05-2004, 02:11 AM
outKast*

vCash: 500
Calgary the Best Hockey City

It's al over the news. I just can't take all these Oilers fans on T.V. who just can't be happy for them. I think it's good they're #1. When the oiler make the playoffs and actually do something, we will take over as the bets hockey city. Until then....props to Calgary. Stop with the whinning and do something for once!

Last edited by outKast*: 08-05-2004 at 02:15 AM.
Old
08-05-2004, 02:18 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
It's al over the news. I just can't take all these Oilers fans on T.V. who just can't be happy for them. I think it's good they're #1. When the oiler make the playoffs and actually do something, we will take over as the bets hockey city. Until then....props to Calgary. Stop with the whinning and do something for once!
But will Edmonton get the same respect as Calgary. Don't count on it.

08-05-2004, 02:20 AM
outKast*

Calgary was the laughing stock of all the Canadian teams before their Cinderella run. The Oilers are at least a half respected team in the league. If the Oilers do something...everyone will notice

Old
08-05-2004, 02:22 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
Calgary was the laughing stock of all the Canadian teams before their Cinderella run. The Oilers are at least a half respected team in the league. If the Oilers do something...everyone will notice
This year the Oilers were ridiculed and made fun of and it was quoted "that the Oilers were the only Canadian team not to make the playoffs. It was said over and over and over again.

Old
08-05-2004, 02:31 AM
se7en*

Who cares? I was hoping this topic would stay off our forum. Why even discuss it? I'm secure enough knowing Edmonton will always be Alberta's Team.

You have to remember this is an American writer witnessing a Canadian team going to the finals for the first time in a DECADE, and that the Flames never played a playoff game since 1996 let alone won a round since 1989, so of course it's going to be frenzied!

I'm happy about it, I'm glad Calgary is enjoying their 15 minutes. After all, every dog has his day. That writer is obviously basing that on the Finals, because what other evidence is there? They were the best NHL city in 2004, thats all it is.

Peace out.

Last edited by se7en*: 08-05-2004 at 02:41 AM.
Old
08-05-2004, 02:38 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
But will Edmonton get the same respect as Calgary. Don't count on it.
Meh, let Calgary have their day in the sun. Just imagine the jealous rage they will know doubt experience when the tables are reversed. The City of Edmonton will be just as crazy ( if not more ) if the Oilers have a similar cup run. I mean, one good cinderella run deserves another.

Old
08-05-2004, 10:18 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
you did not read the whole article--it is not about fans--it is about how good a team went this year as well as other teams went.

look at that complete list

look who is above Chicago and Green BAy

the sporting news proved to be a jooke--even there own announcers are making fun of the list

Old
08-05-2004, 10:35 AM
oilersrule14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
This year the Oilers were ridiculed and made fun of and it was quoted "that the Oilers were the only Canadian team not to make the playoffs. It was said over and over and over again.
Wow, that's harsh. Oh, wait a minute, it's true. We were the only team not to make it and of course people will take pokes at that. If next year, we pull off a Cinderella run to the Cup Finals, we'll be nicknamed "Canada's Team" just like Calgary or whichever Candian team made it the furthest in a particular year. Stop victimizing Edmonton like everybody hates us. There's absolutely no basis behind a theory of Edmonton getting no respect.

Old
08-05-2004, 10:50 AM
PigeonCamera

Kind of ironic.

Isn't the Sporting News picking the best hockey cities a lot like the Hockey News rating the best Australian Rules Football Cities? Or the Pope rating the top 10 cities for picking up women?

Just an observation.

Last edited by PigeonCamera: 08-05-2004 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Damn question marks.
Old
08-05-2004, 11:07 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersrule14
Wow, that's harsh. Oh, wait a minute, it's true. We were the only team not to make it and of course people will take pokes at that. If next year, we pull off a Cinderella run to the Cup Finals, we'll be nicknamed "Canada's Team" just like Calgary or whichever Candian team made it the furthest in a particular year. Stop victimizing Edmonton like everybody hates us. There's absolutely no basis behind a theory of Edmonton getting no respect.
When the Oilers were the last Canadian team in the playoffs in 1997 and 1998, they were not called "Canada's Team". When they won the cups in the 1980s, nobody called them "Canada's Team". Calgary plays in the cup and all you hear is anything about Calgary. Makes me sick.

Old
08-05-2004, 11:52 AM
Bob Mooseknuckle

There was alot of attention paid to "The Red Mile" and Flamesgirls.com during the finals. The country was buying Flames jerseys in every province and territory. This was Canada's first Stanley Cup final in a decade. We are all crazy about the sport, and myself like most Canadians were getting tired of seeing two American based teams in the final year after year. If the Sens, Leafs, Habs, Canucks or Oilers were there the atmosphere would have been similar. Though I believe the Flames poor playoff showing in the past 15 years made them the "younger brother" of the country. We like to cheer for underdogs.

Old
08-05-2004, 11:54 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

http://www.sportingnews.com/features/bests...004/bestof.html

Quote:
1. Toronto
2. Montreal
3. Calgary
4. Ottawa
5. Vancouver
6. Edmonton
I'd like to know why Edmonton is the worst NHL city in Canada...

- 37 (I think) sellouts this season
- 58,000+ fill Commonwealth Stadium in freezing temperatures
- Best fans in the NHL according to Wayne Gretzky and others
- Heartland of Hockey
- Loudest fans
- Supports their team like crazy
- Is a hockey-mad city

The Flames had NO SUPPORT until this year from their fans, yet because of one fluke run that had everyone jumping on their bandwagon acting like they've always been a supporter, they are suddenly named the best NHL city in the league? That's a slap in the face to all those cities that have supported their team for multiple years (i.e. Toronto, Edmonton, Detroit, Montreal, Vancouver, Denver, etc.). You give any city a team that goes on a run like the Flames did and you'll have people in the streets dancing.

On top of that, the idiot that did the rankings has Edmonton nine spots lower than Calgary for best sports cities. The Stamps aren't a huge draw, or the Flames (until this season). Edmontonians love their sports teams... continuous sellouts for the Oilers, selling out Commonwealth or nearly selling it out for Eskimo home games (even in freezing temperatures), selling out Commonwealth for the U19 Soccer Championships two years back, every seat filled in Commonwealth for the 2001 World Track and Field, among other things.

How Calgary finished #1 over the likes of Detroit, Toronto, Edmonton, Montreal, Vancouver, Denver, New York, San Jose, and Dallas is beyond me.

For NHL cities in Canada, I think it should look like this (in terms of support, history, etc.):

T1. Montreal
T1. Toronto
3. Edmonton
4. Vancouver
5. Ottawa
6. Calgary

...and for Canadian sports cities (in terms of support, etc.)...

T1. Montreal
T1. Edmonton
3. Toronto
4. Vancouver
5. Ottawa
6. Calgary

Last edited by Vomiting Kermit*: 08-05-2004 at 12:39 PM.
Old
08-05-2004, 12:06 PM
Bob Mooseknuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by York16

...and for Canadian sports cities (in terms of support, etc.)...

T1. Montreal
T1. Edmonton
3. Toronto
4. Vancouver
5. Ottawa
6. Calgary
Very true...Let's not forget Halifax though. That city has done an amazing job with its amateur events.

Old
08-05-2004, 12:13 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Stanley
Very true...Let's not forget Halifax though. That city has done an amazing job with its amateur events.
Ah yes. Add Winnipeg (they did a great job, like Halifax, when they hosted the WJHC, as well as they love their 'Bombers), too.

Old
08-05-2004, 12:21 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez
Meh, let Calgary have their day in the sun. Just imagine the jealous rage they will know doubt experience when the tables are reversed. The City of Edmonton will be just as crazy ( if not more ) if the Oilers have a similar cup run. I mean, one good cinderella run deserves another.
Exactly. You hit it on the head. Calgay's fans were on the news all the time because most of the time, well, they just don't get that excited over the flames. This was breaking news "flames fans actually show some support for their team." Only real hockey fans know that most of them jumped on after the first round upset. "Canada's team" what does that even mean. As far as I'm concerned, and I hate to admit it, Toronto is Canada's team. Which other team can bring sellouts in every arena in canada? Let this blow over.

When we make the finals though, it won't be a cinderella run

Old
08-05-2004, 03:00 PM
hockeyaddict101

Calgary fans at Calgary.puck

Ridiculed the much more extensive poll on ESPN because it was from an American publication. I wonder if they are ridiculing this one as well.

I don't even have to look, I know what the response is.

Old
08-05-2004, 05:17 PM
zamboni

The Flames did have support before this year, to be fair.

Attendance the last 5 seasons:

2003-04
Cgy 16,600
Edm 17,698
Edmonton +1,098

2002-03
Cgy 16,239
Edm 16,657
Edmonton +418

2001-02
Cgy 15,719
Edm 16,539
Edmonton +820

2000-01
Cgy 16,623
Edm 15,612
Calgary +1,011

1999-00
Cgy 15,322
Edm 15,802
Edmonton +480

Edmonton has beaten Calgary in attendance figures 4 of the last 5 years, but by a slim margin. Calgary even beat us in attendance in 2000-01, the year WE finished 6th place, had the 9 game win streak, and still had Weight. I bet if you go further than that, it'll be more evened out.

It's just not fair to say calgary had no support before their amazing run. Yes, however, many, MANY others jumped on the bandwagon. From a guy who lives in Flame Town let me say it was absolutely unreal how many phony fans there were. It's mostly the teens.

Old
08-05-2004, 05:55 PM
SerbianEagle

Keep in mind that Calgary has a bigger arena, so 15,612 is closer to a sellout in Edmonton than 16,623 is in Calgary.

Old
08-05-2004, 06:06 PM
zamboni

It doesn't change the fact that they get just a bit under the average number of people at their games than Edmonton.

For the record, Edmonton does have the better fans (saying that helps me feel less filthy )...

Old
08-05-2004, 07:02 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative giant
Exactly. You hit it on the head. Calgay's fans were on the news all the time because most of the time, well, they just don't get that excited over the flames. This was breaking news "flames fans actually show some support for their team." Only real hockey fans know that most of them jumped on after the first round upset. "Canada's team" what does that even mean. As far as I'm concerned, and I hate to admit it, Toronto is Canada's team. Which other team can bring sellouts in every arena in canada? Let this blow over.
As much as I hate to admit it, I think you are right about Toronto. Leaf fans are everywhere. I mean is there another team ( aside from maybe the Habs ) that draws more fans at games in the other Canadian NHL cities.
As for the city of Calgary, prior to the Flames run ( although the game attendance - as pointed out by Zamboni - wasn't that bad ) there seemed to be a measure of indifference to the Flames. You rarely saw a Flames hat or jersey around town.
Now after the avalanche of band wagon jumping, its amazing how much Flames stuff I see. The fans here are quite fickle though. If the Flames miss the playoffs next season, people will be using the Flames stuff to wash their car. Thats why this attention, as overblown as it is, dosn't bother me all that much.
Quote:
When we make the finals though, it won't be a cinderella run
Man I hope your right.

Old
08-05-2004, 08:18 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

I don't trust Calgary's attendance figures between 1996 and 2003 at all. This is a team that was putting tarps over empty seats and had more empty green squares than humans.

Old
08-05-2004, 08:50 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Why is attendance being discussed as the criteria for support?

Intelligent fans know when to tell their team to shove it, they don't flock to the rink like mindless zombies to watch a joke squad that disgraces the uniform. As I've said, loyalty to the team is what matters, the idea of the team, the concept, NOT the managment, ownership, or players that don't belong.

It's a fan's job to do this.

Old
08-05-2004, 08:53 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Also -now is this way off -or did the Flames not practise the same thing the Sens did by giving away seats to fill up the place and maybe make a few bucks on getting people to buy stuff while at the game?

08-05-2004, 09:49 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Until another canadian team wins the cup, Montreal will be Canada's team.

Old
08-05-2004, 10:23 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Why is attendance being discussed as the criteria for support?

Intelligent fans know when to tell their team to shove it, they don't flock to the rink like mindless zombies to watch a joke squad that disgraces the uniform. As I've said, loyalty to the team is what matters, the idea of the team, the concept, NOT the managment, ownership, or players that don't belong.

It's a fan's job to do this.
How are you defining loyalty?
Also, if more Oilers fans ( than actually did ) boycotted the Oiler games in the 90's, we might be talking about the Houston Oilers right now. It is a difficult thing because you obviously do not wan't to reward stupid management decisions by showing up regardless. The trouble with not showing up, is that the NHL is primarily a gate driven league...No revenue = No team.

Last edited by guymez: 08-05-2004 at 10:27 PM.
Closed Thread