Notices

Name and Crest Discussion

Old
07-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

vCash: 500
Name and Crest Discussion

In 1997, the Minnesota NHL Team announced six finalist team names. They were the Blue Ox, Freeze, Northern Lights, Voyageurs, White Bears, and Wild. After ten seasons, are you happy with the decision? As an outsider, I was never a fan of the name or the crest, but Iím curious what the Minnesota supporters feel.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 03:34 PM
FlameChampion

Not really a Minnesota fan per say. I would say Wild is the best name out of those 6 though. Cant say I really like the logo, but the jersey colors arent that bad.

FlameChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 03:34 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jet View Post

In 1997, the Minnesota NHL Team announced six finalist team names. They were the Blue Ox, Freeze, Northern Lights, Voyageurs, White Bears, and Wild. After ten seasons, are you happy with the decision? As an outsider, I was never a fan of the name or the crest, but Iím curious what the Minnesota supporters feel.
I like it.

BuddyMcCormick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 03:36 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Nope! Sports team names shouldn't be adjectives, and crests shouldn't be Highlights Magazine-style visual puzzles. Would've strongly preferred the Northern Lights or the Voyageurs.

But I think the general consensus here is, it sucks that we couldn't be the North Stars again, but it's time to move on, because this is what we've got and the game's more important than the name.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 03:41 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Of the other options, the only one that's not significantly worse than Wild is Voyageurs. I'm not a big fan of it, but I can't really knock it either. I think Wild was the best of the 6.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 03:42 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

All the names were awful. Every time they all get brought up, I feel slightly better about the team's name. I don't hate it as much as some, I'm just "meh" regarding it.

As for the crest, again, it's not the worst, not the best. I like the time and effort that went into it but it just doesn't stand out to you as a legitimate, long lasting symbol.

All in all, I really like the colors. I wish they would tone down the red, just not a fan of it being anything more than an accent color. I'd prefer if they just drop it altogether. Really like the green and wheat combo. A little gold sprinkled in doesn't hurt, either.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
I like the non-circle version of the logo. I like our original green jerseys. I like our current white jerseys. I love our current green third jerseys

I absolutely hate our current christmas home jerseys.

And I think we coulda used some kind of noun to work with all of that somehow. The Cougars or the Manbearpigs or the Thundercougarfalconbirds or something.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 04:06 PM
nickschultzfan

Go with the Norse heritage. Should have been called the Minnesota Aesir or Minnesota Asgardians. Crest should have been Odin with a giant spear. Or Thor with his hammer.

That's just me.

I kind of hate the Wild as a name. Although I love the evergreen color and I kind of like the crest.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

As an outsider, I would have preferred Minnesota Northern Lights. I would not have objected to North Stars. If the CFL could have the Saskatchewan Roughriders (1910-Present) and Ottawa Rough-Riders (1876-1996) coexist, why canít the NHL have the North Stars and Stars or Northern Lights and Stars? The NFL has the Panthers, Jaguars, and Lions; Eagles and the Falcons; Raiders and Buccaneers; MLB has the White Sox and Red Sox, Blue Jays and Cardinals; itís not new to have similarly named or depicted teams and crests. The one saving grace is that I do have to admit I quite like their current road and alternate uniforms, even though Iím not big on the crest.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 04:14 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

The Dallas Stars owned/owns the name. Doubt they'd be willing to allow the use of it given the name closely resembles their own.

As much as I would have liked to see the name back, this is a new franchise and it needed it's own identity. Granted, they really haven't found that as of yet. But trying to play off the past would be a mistake, IMO. The team and area often gives nods to that very same past and that's good enough for me.

Old
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

I am probably one of the few people on the forum who really, truly like the "Wild" name. I get it's kinda pansy compared to the Blackhawks, Bruins, North Stars (!!). But it's different.. Not a unique snowflake by any means, but it's like no other name. We might be the only team in the league whose name is an adjective rather than a noun.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Wildfish

The name's OK, I have no problem with it. IMO the animal head logo is a brilliant work of art, I love it.

Wildfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Would like to see the team use the greens as main jerseys, change the crest to the original bear logo, and maybe redesign the red jersey so it's not so damn green. Maybe just red and wheat. Otherwise it's all good.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 04:18 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I just don't want a red sweater...

I'm secretly hoping sometime down the line, they go with a darker wheat, almost brown-ish third. I like having unique sweaters. And the red just doesn't do it for me seeing as half the league is red.

Old
07-27-2011, 04:23 PM
forthewild

in all honesty it would have been awesome if we could use the north stars again, but i really do like the Wild. The logo is great love how it depicts the state so well, and the colors are nice, the red is pretty badass in my opinion.

i would love to replace the White jerseys with a wheat colored one, and the home with a green ones but with better logo, i just don't really like that baseball look at all, we could have just done some classic lettering and it would be badass.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 04:35 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

It looks a bit too military-ish, but quick mock up using a color I was sort of thinking of...

Old
07-27-2011, 05:13 PM
nickschultzfan

I always name my made up video game team the "Wisconsin Pathfinders".

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 05:47 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i'm alright with it. is what it is. of the names listed I find it the most palatable. Voyageurs just sounds too french considering there are a lot more German and Scandinavian people here.

Shoulda brought back "Fighting Saints" over "Stars" related BS if we were going to go for Nostalgia.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Caior89

vCash: 353
Dog days of summer...

Im ok with it, best name of the possible 6, the logo is awesome very smart/unique and about the colors although not a fan of the "red" they managed to make some nice jerseys out there.

I think we just need to move on, either if is Minnesota North Stars or Minnesota Wild or Minnesota Berserker's Bears of the North or whatever, its done.

Caior89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 06:27 PM
J22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i'm alright with it. is what it is. of the names listed I find it the most palatable. Voyageurs just sounds too french considering there are a lot more German and Scandinavian people here.

Shoulda brought back "Fighting Saints" over "Stars" related BS if we were going to go for Nostalgia.
That's my favorite logo in all of sports.

J22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 06:33 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:

I would've loved Fighting Saints, but nobody wants to risk being a "St. Paul" team instead of a "Minnesota" team.

Voyageurs wouldn't have been too French for my tastes; it's just MN history... I mean, North Stars was a reference to "L'etoile du Nord," after all.

Old
07-27-2011, 06:41 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Not the biggest fan of the Wild name - it is what it is and I didn't like any of the others - but the logo itself is one of the best in hockey along with the old Hartford one. Nothing better than a great use of negative space to convey the image of the team.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 06:53 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
I would've loved Fighting Saints, but nobody wants to risk being a "St. Paul" team instead of a "Minnesota" team.

Voyageurs wouldn't have been too French for my tastes; it's just MN history... I mean, North Stars was a reference to "L'etoile du Nord," after all.
L'etoile du Nord was also called "the North Star" in English looooong before any Euros set foot on the continent. Unless there's a specific link to the french name for Polaris and the hockey team? Why didn't they call us Les Etoiles du Nord then or Etoiles polaire. (polare?)

I haven't read any of the North Stars history-of books so i could be wrong.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 06:57 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
L'etoile du Nord was also called "the North Star" in English looooong before any Euros set foot on the continent. Unless there's a specific link to the french name for Polaris and the hockey team? Why didn't they call us Les Etoiles du Nord then or Etoiles polaire. (polare?)

I haven't read any of the North Stars history-of books so i could be wrong.

Old
07-27-2011, 07:00 PM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

vCash: 523
I don't mind the name of the team. I'm a different kind of fan that is sick of all those whining about the nostalgia of the North Stars. It's time to move on, can you please cheer for the Wild or move to ****ing Texas? I find myself shaking my head with a **** grin when I see so much North Stars apparel at the games or around town. Yes, I'm aware my "love it or leave it" tone is akin to the Republicans after 9/11. Ha ha.

Anyway, I really do love the logo. It's a really trippy design. Not the biggest fan of the home and away jerseys, I love the third though.

D U M B A is online now   Reply With Quote