HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Movement Thread III (Acq./Rstr. Bldg./Cap Mgt.)

Closed Thread

Old
08-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Hall2Nuge2Yak

vCash: 500
Value of Ales Hemsky to Washington

I know this is a common theme but do washington fans feel as though they need hemsky???

Old
08-27-2011, 11:06 PM
Brave Sir Robin

No, we don't need Hemsky.

Old
08-27-2011, 11:35 PM
Fallschirmyager

Most CAPS fans would say the most needed is a 2C that can get and keep Semin going. So unless Hemsky can win 50% + of his draws no thanks.

Old
08-27-2011, 11:55 PM
Atlas

Can he coach?

Old
08-28-2011, 03:38 AM
Halpysback

The only thing we need less than a nonphysical injury prone pass first LW is a goalie.

Old
08-28-2011, 03:39 AM
Halpysback

*RW*

Old
08-28-2011, 05:12 AM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
The only thing we need less than a nonphysical injury prone pass first LW is a goalie.

Not that Hemsky is the answer but let's get reality: the Caps need a lot of things. Vokoun and Neuvirth are far from a guarantee at goalie. Solid, yes. Good in the playoffs? Unknown.

I don't mean to pick on you, I know the season is starting soon and it's exciting or should be. I see a lot of talent on the Caps but I don't think the pieces fit right. Hope they prove me wrong.

Old
08-28-2011, 03:44 PM
NeilYoung

We need Hemsky about as much as Bruce needs another 15 pounds of ice cream so no, no need whatsoever.

There's really almost no one on the Oilers I'd be interested in

Old
08-28-2011, 04:46 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

I actually think Hemsky would fit ok with the Caps. But the price tag for him in a trade would be stupidly high. You can safely assume that Oil would demand Carlson or Alzner or mayyyybe Kuznetsov. We have absolutely no reason to make such a move.

Old
08-28-2011, 05:09 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Vokoun and Neuvirth are far from a guarantee at goalie.
There is no such thing as a guarantee in goal or in sports in general. If that is what you are looking for then there is absolutely no way you are not going to be disappointed.

Old
08-28-2011, 05:42 PM
thewill78

so how about us doing Chimera++ for Marchand :O

Old
08-28-2011, 06:55 PM
txpd

Quote:
Not that Hemsky is the answer but let's get reality: the Caps need a lot of things. Vokoun and Neuvirth are far from a guarantee at goalie. Solid, yes. Good in the playoffs? Unknown.

I don't mean to pick on you, I know the season is starting soon and it's exciting or should be. I see a lot of talent on the Caps but I don't think the pieces fit right. Hope they prove me wrong.
is there anything that you could see short of june that would turn your frown upsidedown at least on occasion around here?

Old
08-28-2011, 09:03 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
is there anything that you could see short of june that would turn your frown upsidedown at least on occasion around here?
Atlas taking EroCaps hand in Capitals-pessimistic wedded bliss?

Except, that would probably happen in June.

Old
08-28-2011, 09:48 PM
Halpysback

Quote:

Name one team that has an arguably more capable tandem in the league. Keep in mind that the year after Thomas won the Vezina he lost his starting job to Rask, and up until this year was meh in the playoffs (personally I see him "coming back" down to earth with a .915ish this year). Keep in mind that Miller and Bryzgalov crapped themselves these playoffs as well. Keep in mind that for all the amazing saves Rinne made these playoffs his stats were pretty average.

Unless you're of the opinion that guarantee at goalie = Hasek prime backed by Roy prime. In which case we'd have bigger issues to worry about, like not having Gretzky and Lemieux as our top 2 centers.

Only teams' whose tandems I would take over ours are Vancouver, New York (healthy Lunqvist pending, or they're screwed), Carolina (healthy Ward or they're screwed) Buffalo and Boston (LA and Nashville as equal to us), and their goalies make 4 million or so more than what ours make for maybe 1 less goal per 100-120 shots allowed. That's 4 million that could be put to good use. And if we're counting Holtby as NHL capable goalie depth I don't think any team matches us right now, maybe LA with Jones.

Old
08-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Halpysback

As far as the pieces fitting, Brouwer was a necessary acquistion IMO, but I would have taken Upshall over Ward (maybe trade for his rights and get him for 5x3.125 before the market, his speed and pestilence would be most welcome and he could worth with Ovechkin and Backstrom), though Ward has Zubrus type puck possession abilities which are needed here. Kinda sad we didn't roll the dice on a cheap Filatov as a potential 3rd line winger who could push Chimera down to a killer grinding/shutdown Chimera-Halpern-Brouwer line and Hendricks to a 13th forward (and if he fails, just put Chimera in his place and Hendricks back in). Would have been thrilled if they pulled off a Schultz+ for Regehr trade since Regehr went so cheaply, but mostly because I don't trust Hamrlik. That's pretty much the only things I disagree with them, and it remains to be seen if I'm wrong on the potential of those 3 players vs. the ones we got.

Old
08-28-2011, 10:01 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewill78 View Post
I would do that... Boston probably wouldn't.

Old
08-28-2011, 10:42 PM
um

Quote:
that would have to be a big +

Old
08-29-2011, 12:51 AM
thewill78

well what do you guys think it would take to get marchand from boston. Cuz I've read that they aren't close on a deal sooo lol

Old
08-29-2011, 12:54 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
well what do you guys think it would take to get marchand from boston. Cuz I've read that they aren't close on a deal sooo lol
One of the + would have to be a mid-prospect and the other a mid-pick. But I was actually saying that I don't think Boston would be open to moving him.

Old
08-29-2011, 12:55 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
If they aren't close to a deal how the hell do we fit him under the cap

Old
08-29-2011, 04:35 AM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokeyhighlander View Post
Atlas taking EroCaps hand in Capitals-pessimistic wedded bliss?

Except, that would probably happen in June.

Ero is a candidate for cardiac arrest or at least a fit of epilepsy this year. But that doesn't make he or I a pessimist.

I had high hopes back when Poile added, heh heh, Rob Pearson at the deadline in 1994! And who can forget Reggie Savage? Maxime Ouellette? Pat Elyniuk?

I just call em' like I see him now. The Caps have gotten thumped and embarrassed the last two playoffs. The earlier poster made it sound like the Caps have few, if any, needs. I LOL'd.

Old
08-29-2011, 04:42 AM
Atlas

Halp, I'm glad you like our goalies. Voks might be great. We'll see.

I really have given up on McPhee. IMO he will never win a Cup as GM. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong and I'll eat a platter of crow. But if I'm right are you guys gonna buy me beers? How many years should Ted give him?

Old
08-29-2011, 08:08 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Johansson.

Old
08-29-2011, 08:55 AM
LetsGoBears

Quote:

Whoa, only here could a goalie have lost one playoff series and won two championships, half ways to another and picked up playoff MVP in one of those and be considered unknow. Would I say he is a lock, no. You have to at least consider him a playoff type guy.

Old
08-29-2011, 10:17 AM
txpd

i think just about anything caps = something bad for our boy there. no point in arguing.
on the other hand, his point on vokoun and neuvirth is accurate. vokoun doesnt make the caps a lock for anything in the playoffs. tomas will be carrying unreal amounts of pressure.

if it falls to neuvirth, he has lost one playoff series in his career. he was solid for a rookie, but he is also not nearly a sure thing. i can think of several goalies that he is a better bet than, but there are several that have a strong advantage over him.

Closed Thread