HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Movement Thread III (Acq./Rstr. Bldg./Cap Mgt.)

Closed Thread

Old
09-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Halpysback

vCash: 500
Well obviously once the organization makes a change you'll be in favor of it.

Old
09-10-2011, 01:14 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Well obviously once the organization makes a change you'll be in favor of it.
yea? sure. lol...is that all youve got? insults?

just for the sake of hockey conversation. i would have traded alzner, varly and a 1st for pronger and made two cup runs. i would not have extended him, however. keeping the young players pushes back when the team becomes a prime contender. morrisonn instead of pronger is harder to win with. two rookies against st louis and stamkos is harder to win with. i'm not going to constantly whine about it.

i would have changed the coach. i understand why they are not. i would not put semin and ovechkin on the same side of the ice and i would not remove ovechkin from the point on the first pp unit. because i wont i am company line, eh?

question: when you evaluate ovechkin's bad season last season. do you think it was largely because ovechkin was unprepared, uninterested, overweight, injured and/or less interested in the regular season than in previous seasons or do you think it was bad coaching and improper use of the player?

ive seen concensus around here and admittions from ovechkin himself that he decided to work his way into playoff shape thru the season rather than show up in top shape. the result was nagging injuries and overall reduction in his effectiveness.

if that is the reality, it doesnt seem logical to blame the systems that had been successful when the player was performing at or near the top of his game.

maybe its just my approach. i race cars. when the car is not cornering well, you adjust one thing to try and fix it. if that doesnt work, you try something more or something different. that way when you find something that makes it better, you know what was wrong.

conversely when you change several things at once, its easy to fix the problem and create new one's without knowing which changes did which. So, if Ovechkin is back to himself this season, I would first use him exactly how I had been using him when the PP was the best in the league and Ov the top scorer in the league. Right? Fix 8 and see if that fixes the PP.

If Ov returns to normal except on the PP, then i change the PP. I dont try and fix ovechkin himself and then change how i use him. He starts off slow you are stuck with the problem. Is it Ovechkin or is it how he is used?

Last edited by txpd: 09-10-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old
09-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Halpysback

None of the systems have been successful when it matters. The year we had the best offense ever we got shut down by Montreal. The year we had Boudreau's stellar defense we got blown apart by Tampa Bay because no one still had a clue about what they were supposed to be doing.

The deal for Pronger I believe was Alzner, Carlson and Varlamov, which would have been disastrous, as at the time Carlson was already pacing at above bluechip levels. I remember you saying as much. If it was Alzner, Varlamov and a 1st I'd imagine most people including McPhee would have went for it. That's about what Philly paid for just 1 playoff run.

I remember pretty well that you were prescribing doom and gloom with the caps scraping by a playoff spot/possibly missing the playoffs if Boudreau was replaced for next season since the team was built for his style... whatever that is.

Do you really think the PP failing like clockwork for the whole year, starting with the Montreal series was just the result of the players being fat and lazy? If you do more power to you, but I have a hard time buying it. Unless them getting in better shape will suddenly change everything they are doing. They're playing a Boston style grinder's, dump and chase PP, which Boston, with far better suited personnel for it, is still miserably failing at. While possessing the personnel suited for what Tampa is doing.

I don't wanna have that same tired debate over Ovechkin being on every PP for 2 minutes. I already laid out my reasons - attempt to develop Alzner's offensive game at the NHL level, rounding him into a legitimate two way top pairing defenseman, and conserve Ovechkin for ES and the playoffs. Not having him be the puck retriever seems like common sense, but whatever.

Old
09-10-2011, 05:58 PM
txpd

but whatever. that says a lot

Old
09-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
None of the systems have been successful when it matters. The year we had the best offense ever we got shut down by Montreal. The year we had Boudreau's stellar defense we got blown apart by Tampa Bay because no one still had a clue about what they were supposed to be doing.

The deal for Pronger I believe was Alzner, Carlson and Varlamov, which would have been disastrous, as at the time Carlson was already pacing at above bluechip levels. I remember you saying as much. If it was Alzner, Varlamov and a 1st I'd imagine most people including McPhee would have went for it. That's about what Philly paid for just 1 playoff run.

I remember pretty well that you were prescribing doom and gloom with the caps scraping by a playoff spot/possibly missing the playoffs if Boudreau was replaced for next season since the team was built for his style... whatever that is.

Do you really think the PP failing like clockwork for the whole year, starting with the Montreal series was just the result of the players being fat and lazy? If you do more power to you, but I have a hard time buying it. Unless them getting in better shape will suddenly change everything they are doing. They're playing a Boston style grinder's, dump and chase PP, which Boston, with far better suited personnel for it, is still miserably failing at. While possessing the personnel suited for what Tampa is doing.

I don't wanna have that same tired debate over Ovechkin being on every PP for 2 minutes. I already laid out my reasons - attempt to develop Alzner's offensive game at the NHL level, rounding him into a legitimate two way top pairing defenseman, and conserve Ovechkin for ES and the playoffs. Not having him be the puck retriever seems like common sense, but whatever.
The argument was over whether txpd supports everything that the Capitals' management does or not. The question of whether his disagreements with them are correct or not is beside the point. Also, the past participle of "go" is "gone," not "went," and the deal for Pronger was either Alzner or Carlson plus either Neuvirth or Varlamov plus a 1st.

Old
09-10-2011, 07:23 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Yeah maybe something like Green and Semin for Doughty and Stoll to work around. As a fan of both I can see how that could work as a basis.

Now, I think Doughty is a moron if he forces a trade out of LA. I've lived across this great country and have been to nearly every NHL city at some time. And this area is heaven.
LA is heaven? I think a lot would disagree. Sure the weather is nice, but absurd COL, pollution, traffic....not to mention the mess the state government is in. IF I was absurdly wealthy, sure a house in Malibu on the water would be silly, otherwise....meh.

Old
09-10-2011, 08:12 PM
txpd

LA can be pretty close to heaven depending on your life style. Jeff Lewis and Rachel Zoe both live there. That could be enough reason for many to stay or go.

Facts are that the NHL is full of all kinds of people. A lot of small town northern boys who might be equally as likely to see LA or South Beach as a dream or a nightmare. Not too many years ago the Caps had Jaromir Jagr you downright hated the low profile that came with playing for the Caps while Peter Bondra revelled in it.

Old
09-10-2011, 09:43 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

The bay cities is heaven to be more precise. The practice facility in el segundo is easy to get to, traffic west of 405 isn't tough, the air along the beach isn't the polluted smog of downtown, lax is simple to drive to, the temps are 60-75 for about 9 months, no rain, beach, mountains, Vegas all close, hot women for a young athlete, and the house prices in his range have dropped dramatically.

And yeah cc I was talking about a young wealthy athlete. Still heaven to me. If I were rich in the NHL.... No other place comes close IMHO.

Old
09-11-2011, 06:30 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Earthquakes, smog, carmaggeddon, fires, el nino, traffic, no "there" there. Yes, LA is a dream come true!

Old
09-11-2011, 07:57 PM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 View Post
Earthquakes, smog, carmaggeddon, fires, el nino, traffic, no "there" there. Yes, LA is a dream come true!
This reminds me of that song from Tool that blast LA.

Old
09-11-2011, 08:31 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Would you kindly point to where my statement is incorrect.
the basic physics of ice skaing top speed and the effect of drag vs. weight has to do with the clausius–clapeyron relation.

the basic biophysics of ice skating top speed and the effect of thrust vs. weight has to do with where the weight went and all sorts of weird fast-twitch muscle and stride efficiency issues.

mostly, i was just teasing back since i figured everyone was joking about understanding ice hockey physics.

Old
09-12-2011, 08:10 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
There are hockey sources in Australia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
The guy was clearly joking....
Correctamundo!

Aint been around here much lately. Scarring from last season has worn off to a large degree. Ready to be jaded all season again until playoffs.

Old
09-12-2011, 11:53 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

We were speaking in generalities in classical physics to nicely stop the idea that 22kg = 11pm/hr slower since we were on a hockey board.

Edit: I should say I was speaking and not talk for the other guy. I didn't really respond cause of the premise of my note.... - hockey board

Old
09-13-2011, 09:23 AM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

but that's sort of like me writing an article for a physics journal which states the team with the biggest hockey players always wins and then bristling when a hockey player corrects me.

Old
09-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

I'll admit I made an incorrect assumption about ice behaving like a more "traditional" surface and viewed the problem as a simple Newtonian physics problem. That is obviously incorrect and I'm glad my mistake was pointed out.

Old
09-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Signs that the off-season thread has run it's course:

✓ Metric system
✓ Physics

Closed Thread