HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Movement Thread III (Acq./Rstr. Bldg./Cap Mgt.)

Closed Thread

Old
08-02-2011, 02:37 PM

vCash: 500
FlyGoalScoredBy FlyersGoalScoredBy..
by wyshynski
Look at shirtless Nick Lidstrom and wonder what's happened to you: octopusthrower.com/files/2011/07/…

Making Ovi look like the Marshmellow Man

Old
08-02-2011, 02:46 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
You sure you are even a Caps fan?
Not with BB/GMGM in charge.

But you already knew that.

Old
08-02-2011, 03:53 PM
DrPP

vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by 442 View Post
FlyGoalScoredBy FlyersGoalScoredBy..
by wyshynski
Look at shirtless Nick Lidstrom and wonder what's happened to you: octopusthrower.com/files/2011/07/…

Making Ovi look like the Marshmellow Man
I think you mean darren helm. It is hard to tell from that picture how fit Ovi is. Hope for the best, I guess.

Old
08-02-2011, 07:16 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story...layoff-success

Of note:

Quote:
The skaters on their way out of D.C. drew 20 penalties last year collectively as a group. Brouwer drew almost as many on his own (19) in addition to 262 hits, fifth-best in the NHL, while taking only nine minor penalties.

08-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Sounds promising. I knew he was a hitter, but didn't know he was so effective at drawing penalties.

Old
08-02-2011, 09:52 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
Sounds promising. I knew he was a hitter, but didn't know he was so effective at drawing penalties.
More importantly, our power play differential should be much better.

Bradley, Hannan, Sturm, Arnott, Gordon, Fehr and Sloan drew a combined 20 penalties all year for the Caps. In 290 games played.

They committed roughly 3 times that.

It's the difference between having a large pp disparity against, to having a large pp disparity for.

Absolutely crucial.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:56 PM
thewill78

i know that nashville will pay weber regardless of what he is awarded but if he wants to leave what do you think it will take to trade for him?

Old
08-02-2011, 11:38 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewill78 View Post
i know that nashville will pay weber regardless of what he is awarded but if he wants to leave what do you think it will take to trade for him?
Obviously not going to happen but for fun I'd say one of Green/Semin and one of Orlov/Kuznetsov would be about right.

Old
08-03-2011, 12:36 AM
Capitlols

Hypothetically speaking, we could offer a realistic package for Weber revolving on Green+

Alzner-Weber
Hamrlik-Carlson
Schultz-Wideman

Old
08-03-2011, 12:49 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
More importantly, our power play differential should be much better.

Bradley, Hannan, Sturm, Arnott, Gordon, Fehr and Sloan drew a combined 20 penalties all year for the Caps. In 290 games played.

They committed roughly 3 times that.

It's the difference between having a large pp disparity against, to having a large pp disparity for.

Absolutely crucial.
Greens numbers should go up.
You know, before we trade him...

Old
08-03-2011, 12:55 AM
NeilYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
Greens numbers should go up.
You know, before we trade him...
To bad we can't trade posters instead

Old
08-03-2011, 01:09 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
To bad we can't trade posters instead
If that doesn't fix the powerplay I don't know what will.

Old
08-03-2011, 02:04 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

The caps as a whe don't draw enough penalties for their talent. It's one of my main gripes about their coaching.

But if cutting the low hanging fruit steps us in the right direction, we'll see. But count me as one who doesn't see parting ways with players who should never be in possession of the puck under pressure as magically making those who should as more proficient penalty drawers.

Obviously dropping the 1-3 ratio is huge in any sense. And it's good on gmgm for making those evaluations.

Old
08-03-2011, 08:31 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokeyhighlander View Post
Obviously not going to happen but for fun I'd say one of Green/Semin and one of Orlov/Kuznetsov would be about right.
nashville would require one of carlson or alzner as a starter. green and semin are at the end of their contracts and are in the big money portion of their careers. if poile didnt have to avoid that, he'd just lock up weber for the long term.

think carlson and kuznetsov for weber. i dont think there is any way for salary cap management reasons that mcphee could/would do that.

the caps could offer ovechkin for weber and poile couldnt do it. poile could offer weber for carlson and mcphee couldnt do it.

Old
08-03-2011, 08:35 AM
NeilYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
nashville would require one of carlson or alzner as a starter. green and semin are at the end of their contracts and are in the big money portion of their careers. if poile didnt have to avoid that, he'd just lock up weber for the long term.

think carlson and kuznetsov for weber. i dont think there is any way for salary cap management reasons that mcphee could/would do that.

the caps could offer ovechkin for weber and poile couldnt do it. poile could offer weber for carlson and mcphee couldnt do it.
Ovechkin for Weber and they wouldn't do it? That's just ignorant no matter how short of money you just find money for players like that. basically 4.5 million more a year and they couldn't do that? Ovechkin would sell that place out all year

Old
08-03-2011, 09:56 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
Ovechkin for Weber and they wouldn't do it? That's just ignorant no matter how short of money you just find money for players like that. basically 4.5 million more a year and they couldn't do that? Ovechkin would sell that place out all year
The point still stands that Nashville is very cash strapped and would need to reduce salary coming back. Caps can't afford to do that. Not good trading partners due to financial reasons.

Old
08-03-2011, 12:02 PM
txpd

they cant afford ovechkin, period. secondarily, they cant afford the complimentary players and ovechkin would be a waste in the style of play that team's budget dictates.
you are assuming that nashville would get the 55 goal MVP Ovechkin. its more likely they would get the 30 goal OV that we saw last season and would be stuck paying him $10m per.

so...no. they would not take ovechkin in trade for weber.

argue that if you want to, the fact remains that getting green signed would be as difficult for them as getting weber signed. if they cant afford to keep weber, why would they choose to replace him with green? it makes no sense. this is why they would want carlson. the caps could not afford from a salary cap perspective to trade weber for carlson.

Old
08-03-2011, 12:27 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

Ovi to Nashville, again?

Old
08-04-2011, 01:34 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
they cant afford ovechkin, period. secondarily, they cant afford the complimentary players and ovechkin would be a waste in the style of play that team's budget dictates.
you are assuming that nashville would get the 55 goal MVP Ovechkin. its more likely they would get the 30 goal OV that we saw last season and would be stuck paying him $10m per.

argue that if you want to, the fact remains that getting green signed would be as difficult for them as getting weber signed. if they cant afford to keep weber, why would they choose to replace him with green? it makes no sense. this is why they would want carlson. the caps could not afford from a salary cap perspective to trade weber for carlson.
That same style Ovechkin scored 52 and 46 goals under? You really think none of Nashville's wingers cheat at all? Or do you really accept the thought that Ovechkin in Nashville would be barely any better than JP Dumont (who had no problems scoring 65+ points for 3 straight years) at face value?

But yeah, there is no way they could pay a generational talent and the NHL's second biggest marketing machine 2 more million than they're paying Weber. Not with a 56 million payroll (what was the salary cap when Ovechkin signed his deal again?). And definitely not with them willing to shelling out 4.5 million at guys like Erat and Legwand.

Old
08-04-2011, 08:37 AM
txpd

the difference between nashville's system and what ovechkin scored 50+ goals doing is largely defense play. boudreau had the caps playing very tight gaps with the forwards and pressing on the offensive side of the blue line. he had the defense cutting off the boards as an escape route.

this is why the caps could be victimized by the home run pass up the middle and why they gave up odd man breaks from the red line in. nashville(and the caps last season) backed up to their own blue line before standing up and they play defense closer to the middle of the ice and give up the boards.

its less about defensive zone play and offensive players cheating the zone than about where the defensemen play and what their assignments are in the offensive end of the ice. that said, the caps wings used to play out at the blue line near the opposing dmen and the center was more often in the slot. when they changed the center was more often deep and the wings inside the circles.

big difference in transition offense that way.

Old
08-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Millhaus

I think he is talking about Ovechkin in the Hanlon years.

Old
08-04-2011, 10:26 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

They'd likely do Backstrom for weber, but I wouldn't.

Weber for Carlson or Alzner i'd do in a second.

Old
08-04-2011, 10:38 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
They'd likely do Backstrom for weber, but I wouldn't.

Weber for Carlson or Alzner i'd do in a second.
Look I love Weber but that trade would be full of dumb. Last I checked we are over the cap as it is. We'd add $7 million so then we'd have to dump a guy like Semin too with no one to replace him.

Those guys are good young D on cheap deals and are essential to have for salary cap purposes.

Caps just can't trade Backstrom. We are weak down the center as is so no chance of that happening.

Old
08-04-2011, 10:42 AM
BobRouse

Quote:

Absolutely they'd take Ovechkin for Weber!

Their attendance would instantly skyrocket as would their budget one would suspect. They would get lots of "face time" on TV and that will do nothing but good.

Ovechkin is why the Caps have sold out all their games for a few years now. Make no mistake about that. All the other guys are good players and we'd still be a good team but their would be a dip in attendance and merchandise sales.

Ovechkin is a marketting dream and his value transcends what he does on the ice.

Old
08-04-2011, 01:15 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I was in agreement until you said Poile couldn't do Ovechkin for Weber. The Preds would be falling all over themselves and couldn't call the NHL offices fast enough to accept if that offer was out there. Let's be real for a minute. Ovechkin is a name and a face with worldwide recognition. In other words, a player Nashville would KILL to have.

Carlson + Kuz us exactly what I would ask for from the Caps (assuming no acquisition of big $$ players).

Closed Thread