HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Offseason Movement Thread III (Acq./Rstr. Bldg./Cap Mgt.)

Closed Thread

Old
08-25-2011, 05:06 PM
Stewie G

vCash: 500
How does Perreault's waiver status affect things? Doesn't he have to pass through waivers this year? If so, wouldn't that mean they'd have to have him on the roster all year or risk exposed him to waivers when called up? I imagine he'd get claimed if the Caps attempted to pass him through.

Old
08-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
How does Perreault's waiver status affect things? Doesn't he have to pass through waivers this year? If so, wouldn't that mean they'd have to have him on the roster all year or risk exposed him to waivers when called up? I imagine he'd get claimed if the Caps attempted to pass him through.
He has to pass through waivers simply to be sent to Hershey. If he doesn't make the roster out of camp, he likely gets claimed by another team (think Chris Bourque).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
You did. Halpern cant centre a scoring line (not anymore). So who would, if you trade Perrault? Hendricks? LOL, no way.
When did I do that? Go ahead and quote me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
God forbid we lose 2 centre's amongst Majo, Backs, and Laich....then what? Perrault, for all of his shortcomings, can be an offensive center, and can take a 5-10 game shift on 1st or 2nd line. Halpern, Hendricks, Beagle, all can NOT.

Food for though man, before we ship Perrault out (of course, unless Eakin is close enough, then we are good to dump MP85)
If we lose two among MoJo, Backs, and Laich we're making call-ups and/or trades anyway. Very few teams could survive two of their top three centers going down. Thus why it was so surprising that Pittsburgh was able to continue contending last season. I can play those same scare tactics with saying we lose two of Hamrlik, Alzner, and Schultz. Do we really wanna play with Collins on the blueline again?

And for what it's worth, Hendricks was one of the most productive offensive 4th liners in the league last year.

Old
08-25-2011, 05:49 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Food for thought: Halpern had more even-strength points last season (25) than Brouwer or Ward (both w/ 23). Hendricks also had 23. When healthy Halpern's on par with a guy like Belanger IMO. Unlike Belanger, as long as he's healthy he'll have the opportunity to play a full season in the system and more fully mesh offensively. Laich should be 3C but if he isn't it's hard to peg any of the internal options being more reliable than Halpern.

Old
08-25-2011, 06:05 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Food for thought: Halpern had more even-strength points last season (25) than Brouwer or Ward (both w/ 23). Hendricks also had 23. When healthy Halpern's on par with a guy like Belanger IMO. Unlike Belanger, as long as he's healthy he'll have the opportunity to play a full season in the system and more fully mesh offensively. Laich should be 3C but if he isn't it's hard to peg any of the internal options being more reliable than Halpern.
<3 me some Halpern but I'd want to give him easier minutes at his age. Same reason I want Knuble off the top line. Halpern at 3C I could do for a short stretch, but I wouldn't want him to spend too long there. If we're down two of Backstrom/Laich/Johansson, then I guess it'd be Perreault in the 2C.

Old
08-25-2011, 06:08 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Wasn't proposing it full time, just pointing out that Perreault is far from our only depth center we can plug in if someone gets injured. Heck, most of us routinely forget that we acquired Chris Hanson this off-season as well.
You used this post, as well as the one about Beagle and Hendricks playing center, to illustrate our centre depth. You insuated that we could trade Perrault bc of this depth. I have stated that while we have these centre's you listed in the system, they are NOT a safety measure towards injuries, and are not a reason we can trade Perrault.

MP 85 is our offensive centre depth, until someone takes that spot I am afaid.

Old
08-25-2011, 06:14 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
He has to pass through waivers simply to be sent to Hershey. If he doesn't make the roster out of camp, he likely gets claimed by another team (think Chris Bourque).

When did I do that? Go ahead and quote me.

If we lose two among MoJo, Backs, and Laich we're making call-ups and/or trades anyway. Very few teams could survive two of their top three centers going down. Thus why it was so surprising that Pittsburgh was able to continue contending last season. I can play those same scare tactics with saying we lose two of Hamrlik, Alzner, and Schultz. Do we really wanna play with Collins on the blueline again?

And for what it's worth, Hendricks was one of the most productive offensive 4th liners in the league last year.
I did. You were certainly applauding our centre depth as a measure to be able to trade MP85 for a D prospect. I dont think we can do that yet, as we need to see what Eakin/Sjogren have. We simply do not have the offensive centre depth to do it.

Halpern, Hendricks, Beagle and Hanson shouldnt be centre's on an offensive line.

Old
08-25-2011, 06:51 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

I can say the exact same thing you're saying about "offensive center depth" about our "defensive defenseman depth."

But ultimately, I was talking about centers in general, not just offensive centers. I never proposed that Hendricks or Beagle play in a scoring role. If one of Backstrom, Johansson, or Laich goes down for a prolonged period of time, we'd likely have to fill their role via trade rather than Perreault anyway. A 30-40 point 2C simply doesn't cut it on a contender.

Short term, we can play banged up with Halpern or Hendricks at 3C. Worst case scenario, call up Aucoin or Potulny. In fact, I'm skeptical how significant the difference between Perreault and Potulny at the NHL level is after Perreault's initial couple game burst.

If you still think Perreault has potential, letting him rot in the press box is not a positive move for his development. Yet, if we demote him to Hershey he's exposed to waivers. Compared to having him sit and only see 20 games of ice time, I'd rather acquire a waiver exempt asset that can help the team both this year and moving forward. Urbom is a perfect example of that.

Pretty much the only thing that will sway me is if Perreault wins the 3C job out of camp.

Old
08-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
I can say the exact same thing you're saying about "offensive center depth" about our "defensive defenseman depth."
But ultimately, I was talking about centers in general, not just offensive centers. I never proposed that Hendricks or Beagle play in a scoring role. If one of Backstrom, Johansson, or Laich goes down for a prolonged period of time, we'd likely have to fill their role via trade rather than Perreault anyway. A 30-40 point 2C simply doesn't cut it on a contender.

Short term, we can play banged up with Halpern or Hendricks at 3C. Worst case scenario, call up Aucoin or Potulny. In fact, I'm skeptical how significant the difference between Perreault and Potulny at the NHL level is after Perreault's initial couple game burst.

If you still think Perreault has potential, letting him rot in the press box is not a positive move for his development. Yet, if we demote him to Hershey he's exposed to waivers. Compared to having him sit and only see 20 games of ice time, I'd rather acquire a waiver exempt asset that can help the team both this year and moving forward. Urbom is a perfect example of that.

Pretty much the only thing that will sway me is if Perreault wins the 3C job out of camp.
I agree with this, and have stated as such for years. GMGM has not seemed to care a lot about this, until maybe recently. The Hannan trade was the first move towards that I've ever seen him make. Alzner could be seen as such too, but draftees are different to me than FA signings or trades. FA signing/trade indicates the GM sees something as a need. And Hannan was our first defensive dman I can remember George acquiring.

I am not sold on Perrault, and welcome his trade when it happens. I just dont think we are ready for it, roster wise, until Eakin proves his worth, or unless another C is coming back in trade.

Old
08-26-2011, 02:14 PM
thewill78

Semin to Edmonton for Hemskey

So i was reading on eklunds site and saw that were apparently interested in Hemksey with Semin going the other way. I just thought i'd post it here to see your thoughts

Old
08-26-2011, 02:22 PM
txpd

eklund doesnt have the first clue what mcphee wants to do. i mean, really. if bob mckenzie doesnt have a source in the caps front office, that guy sure as hell doesnt

Old
08-26-2011, 02:29 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewill78 View Post
So i was reading on eklunds site and saw that were apparently interested in Hemksey with Semin going the other way. I just thought i'd post it here to see your thoughts
That was your first mistake.

Re: a deal around Hemsky and Semin: meh (unless the Oilers 1st is part of the package )

Old
08-26-2011, 02:31 PM
LetsGoBears

Wtf, how does Eklund get a tag on here?

Old
08-26-2011, 02:31 PM
thewill78

I know its probably not true I just wanted your thoughts on a deal around those 2 cuz i wouldn't mind Hemskey for Semin lol

Old
08-26-2011, 02:33 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Put it on the main board and see if the Semin haters can out-hate the Hemsky haters.

Old
08-26-2011, 02:44 PM
third man in

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBears View Post
Wtf, how does Eklund get a tag on here?
Now that you know it's there, these threads are easy to spot and avoid. Unless, of course you are looking for some comedy.

Old
08-26-2011, 02:57 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Meh.

Old
08-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Not going to happen and I wouldn't really want it to.

Now, turning Jason Chimera+ into Hemsky and rolling with a 22-man roster, that I could get behind.

Old
08-26-2011, 04:21 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Semin for Hall. It makes sense for both teams!

08-26-2011, 04:29 PM
BPMrules

I have the same front office source that Eklund has, we all do. NHL11.
I laughed to myself when I read that he was insinuating the Caps were in on Hemsky. What are we gonna do, send Semin out there for him? As much as I know in my heart Semin doesn't finish the season here, I don't want Hemsky back for him. If it did happen though, he'd be closer to Russia, at least.

Old
08-26-2011, 04:44 PM
pgreene

these tags don't show up on the mobile version. I thought this had actually happened.

Old
08-26-2011, 05:30 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

What about something 3-way for Semin, such as:

Alexander Semin
COL 2nd 2013 or BOS 2nd 2012

Johan Franzen
DET 2nd 2012
WSH 2nd 2013

Joe Pavelski

Last edited by ChibiPooky: 08-26-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old
08-26-2011, 05:38 PM
txpd

Detroit wanting Semin is the best evidence I can think of not to trade him.

Old
08-26-2011, 05:42 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Had to change the Caps 2nd to 2013. They don't have their 2nd in 2012. Or maybe Perreault?

Imma stick it on the main board and get flamed

Old
08-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Robert Theodorson

Semin for Franzen straight up, it makes too much sense

I can see how Detroit fans are in love with Franzen but they have regressed so much since their last Finals apperance, they need fresh blood, and we need a 1st line PWF RW to take Knuble's place after next year

Old
08-27-2011, 08:23 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Semin for Franzen straight up, it makes too much sense

I can see how Detroit fans are in love with Franzen but they have regressed so much since their last Finals apperance, they need fresh blood, and we need a 1st line PWF RW to take Knuble's place after next year
Detroit doesn't do those kinds of deals since they're all about cred with the players (especially their swedish contingent) and Franzen signed a very underpriced retirement contract. I don't ever see Holland pulling anything remotely like the Carter/Richards trades, and Franzen would be something like that. That and his history of playoff dominance. Unless they get a signed cup guarantee for dealing Franzen they won't go for it, even then I don't know if they would. They've had arguably the lowest player turnover since the lockout for a reason.

Though on paper I think the trade is even.

He's also a LW FWIW.

Closed Thread