HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

A thought AGAINST a salary cap

Closed Thread

Old
08-05-2004, 10:35 AM
benji
Took too much, man.

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to benji
A thought AGAINST a salary cap

I was watching Sportscentre yesterday, and I saw that the Oakland Raiders let go of longtime WR Tim Brown. He played for them for 16 years. The Raiders also released another long time player, Rod Woodson earlier this summer. They were both released because of salary cap issues. Although they weren't as effective as they once were, they could have still helped the team with their experience and could still come up with a great play every now and then.

The point I'm getting to would be could this affect the NHL as well? Would Steve Yzerman still be a Red Wing right now if there was a cap in place? Just share your thoughts on this, as to where loyalty between a team and a player can be affected by the cap, for example, the Raiders.

I'm not saying this is a huge issue, just something to think about.

Last edited by benji: 08-05-2004 at 10:39 AM.
Old
08-05-2004, 10:43 AM
donelikedinner

old players move on to less talented teams or retire. whats wrong with that? the new team gets a chance for more talent and the new team gets something they didn't have before. everybody wins. so whats this issue got to do with a salry cap or not?

Old
08-05-2004, 10:48 AM
Wisent

Since I'm not that acquainted with football, I can't really judge the quality of both players mentioned. But I really think as long as a player is more effective than anyone else on the roster, he would play. Also, a cap would changes the whole salary structure. When it is fully in effect, I don't see the superstar-players earn that much as they earn today, so that players like Yzerman would be cheaper and easier to keep. In addition, I believe it is not that bad that players shouldn't get a new contract when they can't help the team. If those two footballplayers can be used by a team, surely they will get a new contract.

Old
08-05-2004, 10:50 AM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:
Originally Posted by donelikedinner
old players move on to less talented teams or retire. whats wrong with that? the new team gets a chance for more talent and the new team gets something they didn't have before. everybody wins. so whats this issue got to do with a salry cap or not?
Well I'm sure some players, and the fans, would like to see some players retire with the team they started with. Could you picture Steve Yzerman (for example) in another jersey? He can still play, but he's rather an expensive 3rd liner. Like I said, it's not that much of an issue, just something that popped into my little head.

Old
08-05-2004, 10:51 AM
kold

caps dont make it easier for teams to keep players for a long time, caps make it harder.

if a hard cap is implemented, you will see much more dramatic player movement and shuffling between teams each year...im not sure if that's something i would like

kind of negates the advantages of having a strong scouting and player development system if you develop too many good players.

Old
08-05-2004, 10:54 AM
QcS

in the NFL's case, if i'm not mistaken, the salaries are not guaranteed.. that means that you can just drop the player and contract.

The NHLPA would never agree to this, but it has to be an issue with the "salary cap" discussions.. because how do you fix your salary cap if arbitration awards money to the player and it makes the team's cap go over?

dunno.. correct me if i'm wrong people

Old
08-05-2004, 11:15 AM
Wisent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kold
caps dont make it easier for teams to keep players for a long time, caps make it harder.

if a hard cap is implemented, you will see much more dramatic player movement and shuffling between teams each year...im not sure if that's something i would like

kind of negates the advantages of having a strong scouting and player development system if you develop too many good players.
But why should it be that way? If the star players earn, lets say (just an example), 5 mio max and you have a hard cap of something about 40 mio (or even 30) you'd still have lots of money left for other players. Ask yourself, if a max salary is suggested, how many players would really get this max? There aren't that many superstars in one team that will get such a contract.

Last edited by Wisent: 08-05-2004 at 11:19 AM.
Old
08-05-2004, 11:17 AM
shadoz19

Quote:
Originally Posted by donelikedinner

How would Detroit win by losing Steve Yzerman?

Old
08-05-2004, 11:17 AM
DETROIT SKABOY

Send a message via ICQ to DETROIT SKABOY Send a message via MSN to DETROIT SKABOY Send a message via Yahoo to DETROIT SKABOY
i would rather see more team loyilty than highest bidder wins
must be hard to root for a team that has a whole diff core every few years

Old
08-05-2004, 01:34 PM
CoolburnIsGone

If you want an even better example of how a hard cap can affect player retention (particularly in the NFL), take a look at the Baltimore Ravens. Right after they won a Super Bowl a few yrs ago, they couldn't re-sign all of their players and had to let several Pro-Bowl players walk away. One thing I notice in the NFL is that contracts are constantly being re-negotiated every yr so the players still get their money (mostly in the form of signing bonuses instead of regular earnings) but their contracts are lengthened and their salary is reduced to allow some flexibility in cap allowances. I can almost guarantee that the NHLPA would never accept a hard cap in any way, shape or form.

Closed Thread