HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are we done if Plekanec gets injured or has an off year?

View Poll Results: Do we miss the playoffs if Plekanec goes down?
YES 57 42.22%
NO 78 57.78%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-29-2011, 11:23 PM
  #51
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,123
vCash: 500
Trade for Saku.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 11:40 PM
  #52
Subnordi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 271
vCash: 500
Naw, it would really hurt us though, I do feel Gomez could step up and take the #1 role, then Eller or Desharnais could take the #2 role.

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 10:27 AM
  #53
Dharvey33
Registered User
 
Dharvey33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,733
vCash: 500
I think if the world ends in 2012 we will miss the playoff along with the other 29.

Dharvey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 12:57 PM
  #54
Subnordi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
We'll just ignore the fact that Cammalleri can't play center.............

82 points in 81 games in Calgary playing center...

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 08:52 AM
  #55
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnordi View Post
82 points in 81 games in Calgary playing center...
Craig Conroy, Olli Jokinen, and Daymond Langkow were Cammalleri's centres for most of that season, I believe; certainly at even strength, in any event.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 09:52 AM
  #56
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,945
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
We're done if Plekanec, Markov or Price gets injured.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 10:58 AM
  #57
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
We're done if Plekanec, Markov or Price gets injured.
Just like last year, amirite?

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 11:25 AM
  #58
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,945
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Just like last year, amirite?
Yeah. Without Markov, we don't have the horses on the back-end to advance past the 1st round. Our depth on defence isn't strong or deep enough to deep with significant injuries to our significant players on D.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 11:48 AM
  #59
SAKS AVENUE
Registered User
 
SAKS AVENUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Yeah. Without Markov, we don't have the horses on the back-end to advance past the 1st round. Our depth on defence isn't strong or deep enough to deep with significant injuries to our significant players on D.

We made it to the conference finals the year before without Markov. Why does everyone try to predict what is going to happen.

Because Markov went down P.K got an opportunity to shine. Who know's, if it wasn't for that, Subban might still be in the AHL.

If Markov goes down The Goat will trade for another Wiz........ Never can tell people. A season is long and lot's can happen.

SAKS AVENUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 12:18 PM
  #60
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKS AVENUE View Post
We made it to the conference finals the year before without Markov. Why does everyone try to predict what is going to happen.

Because Markov went down P.K got an opportunity to shine. Who know's, if it wasn't for that, Subban might still be in the AHL.

If Markov goes down The Goat will trade for another Wiz........ Never can tell people. A season is long and lot's can happen.
Nahh man sorry, you don't go +46 in the AHL on a decent/good team having put up 18g 35a in 77gp and not get a call up, not unless your team is out of it. And even if you don't you make it out of camp the following season. No way in hell he would still be in the AHL though. I'd say it's borderline impossible given his talent. The kid can be a #1D on a lot of teams already in the NHL, #2 at worst. Doubtful he would have stayed in the AHL and if he did I would definitely agree with the folks saying we ruin our player

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 12:21 PM
  #61
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!
 
Ceux de Montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: omg montréal lolzzz
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Trade for Saku.
I could see this happen if one of our top two centers would get injured for a long-time.

I have dreams of Pacioretty and Cammalleri riding shotgun with Koivu. I'm not huge on the trade Gomez bandwagon but if it were to happen, I sooo want to re-sign Koivu next summer and have him on the third line while DD or Eller is ready for 2nd line duties.

Cole - Plekanec - Cammalleri
Pacioretty - Eller - Gionta
DD - Koivu - Kostitsyn

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 12:25 PM
  #62
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
I could see this happen if one of our top two centers would get injured for a long-time.

I have dreams of Pacioretty and Cammalleri riding shotgun with Koivu.
Saku would be perfect here in a 3rd line center role, but only if Gomez is traded and Eller is promoted to a 2nd line role. I don't want Saku back at the expense of our young players.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 12:27 PM
  #63
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!
 
Ceux de Montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: omg montréal lolzzz
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Saku would be perfect here in a 3rd line center role, but only if Gomez is traded and Eller is promoted to a 2nd line role. I don't want Saku back at the expense of our young players.
I agree, I edited my post just when you quote me.

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 12:29 PM
  #64
Intense
Registered User
 
Intense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 489
vCash: 500
We call up Leblanc ?

Intense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 01:02 PM
  #65
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,945
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKS AVENUE View Post
We made it to the conference finals the year before without Markov. Why does everyone try to predict what is going to happen.

Because Markov went down P.K got an opportunity to shine. Who know's, if it wasn't for that, Subban might still be in the AHL.

If Markov goes down The Goat will trade for another Wiz........ Never can tell people. A season is long and lot's can happen.
The difference of our defence with Markov and Subban compared to just having Subban is astronomical.

We need both of them healthy if we want to compete and win.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 01:07 PM
  #66
JimmyDarmody
Registered User
 
JimmyDarmody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense View Post
We call up Leblanc ?
I hope you're joking.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 01:10 PM
  #67
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
The difference of our defence with Markov and Subban compared to just having Subban is astronomical.
I wonder how big the difference is between having Hamrlik and Subban last year versus having Markov and Subban this year. I'd say less than "astronomical".

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 01:24 PM
  #68
JimmyDarmody
Registered User
 
JimmyDarmody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Just like last year, amirite?
I don't recall this thread being "Are we done if Plekanec goes down and we don't trade for a high-end replacement".

Without the Wiz pickup last year we were dead in the water. No playoffs, nothing. The thing is that this year we're thinner on D without Hammer and we're laughably low on trade assets.

All the trades we've made the past 3 years for busts (Tangs), departing FA's (Wiz, Sopel, Schneider, Mara, Moore, Lang), and the Tinordi trade up are rearing their ugly head. Our farm is very thin, and yet we're still setting ourselves up for a season where we'll need to dip into our draft picks to replace key injuries/poor performers.

We're becoming the Leafs circa early 2000's.

Look at some of the picks we've traded.

1st Tanguay
2nd Tanguay
2nd Schneider
2nd Lang
2nd Moore
2nd (Got a 4th back in the Tinordi trade)
2nd Wiz

Pathetic. It wouldn't bother me if we had something to show for these picks, but we've got squat.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 04:32 PM
  #69
UniverStalinGraduate*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
We'd be finished.

We're terrible at center.
No, the Leafs are terrible at center. The habs are average and have some potential.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 04:34 PM
  #70
UniverStalinGraduate*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
I don't recall this thread being "Are we done if Plekanec goes down and we don't trade for a high-end replacement".

Without the Wiz pickup last year we were dead in the water. No playoffs, nothing. The thing is that this year we're thinner on D without Hammer and we're laughably low on trade assets.

All the trades we've made the past 3 years for busts (Tangs), departing FA's (Wiz, Sopel, Schneider, Mara, Moore, Lang), and the Tinordi trade up are rearing their ugly head. Our farm is very thin, and yet we're still setting ourselves up for a season where we'll need to dip into our draft picks to replace key injuries/poor performers.

We're becoming the Leafs circa early 2000's.

Look at some of the picks we've traded.

1st Tanguay
2nd Tanguay
2nd Schneider
2nd Lang
2nd Moore
2nd (Got a 4th back in the Tinordi trade)
2nd Wiz

Pathetic. It wouldn't bother me if we had something to show for these picks, but we've got squat.
Agreed Jimmy, the habs need to refocus on replenishing the cupboards. Although to be fair a lot of their NHL'ers next year will be quite young. It scares me that the habs have all that cap space, can't help but wonder who they'll target.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 05:06 PM
  #71
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
No, the Leafs are terrible at center. The habs are average and have some potential.
Are they really? Connolly is a good player when he's not injured (the same level as Gomez of 09-10), and Grabovski broke out last season but even before that, you could always see that he had the vision to be a good playmaker in the NHL. I wouldn't be surprised if Grabs is a perennial 60 pt center, and that's very good for a 2nd liner. That's like Plekanec-lite, minus the defensive attributes.

Their 3rd and 4th line center position is just like ours, they have a player like Bozak (where we have Eller) that want to prove they can slot into the top 6, and the 4th line is moot.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 05:12 PM
  #72
UniverStalinGraduate*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Are they really? Connolly is a good player when he's not injured (the same level as Gomez of 09-10), and Grabovski broke out last season but even before that, you could always see that he had the vision to be a good playmaker in the NHL. I wouldn't be surprised if Grabs is a perennial 60 pt center, and that's very good for a 2nd liner. That's like Plekanec-lite, minus the defensive attributes.

Their 3rd and 4th line center position is just like ours, they have a player like Bozak (where we have Eller) that want to prove they can slot into the top 6, and the 4th line is moot.
Connolly has 2 50+ point seasons in his entire career. From what I've heard Sabres fans were practically dancing in the streets when they found out he was gone.

Bozak isn't comparable at all to Eller, he's like 3 years older and aside from faceoff percentage has nothing over Eller. He proved last year he has no offensive upside to his game at all.

Grabovski is a very solid player, but Plekanec is better.

If Gomez or Plekanec go down the habs have Eller or DD who could potentially jump up to the top 6.

Habs have much better center depth, and lets not discount the fact that Gomez will almost certainly be much better this year.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 05:15 PM
  #73
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,648
vCash: 500
Who knows.

Everyone thought that the Pens without Crosby and Malkin would tank and they we're still amongst the top teams in the league. You just never know, and we have 2 very capable young centerman in Eller and Desharnais that we don't know how they'd produce with guys like Cammalleri/Cole as their wingers.

Other teams are bound to miss time from significant contributors as well, us having only Plekanec go down probably wouldn't doom us if our defense and Price we're healthy.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 05:57 PM
  #74
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Connolly has 2 50+ point seasons in his entire career. From what I've heard Sabres fans were practically dancing in the streets when they found out he was gone.

Bozak isn't comparable at all to Eller, he's like 3 years older and aside from faceoff percentage has nothing over Eller. He proved last year he has no offensive upside to his game at all.

Grabovski is a very solid player, but Plekanec is better.

If Gomez or Plekanec go down the habs have Eller or DD who could potentially jump up to the top 6.

Habs have much better center depth, and lets not discount the fact that Gomez will almost certainly be much better this year.
Point totals don't mean much for a guy like Connolly who doesn't finish a whole season. Career wise he sits at 0.63 PPG while our own Plekanec is at 0.66, not bad. I can understand that Buffalo fans were happy to see him leave, but so were Rangers fans with Gomez. It doesn't take away the fact that players have the opportunity to show their worth in a new environment.

Also, Eller has age over Bozak, but in terms of their NHL experience, they are at similar stages, with Bozak having about half a season more experience than Eller. I never said that Bozak was a better player though, I believe everyone knows Eller is the better player however they are both as "unproven" at center at this point in time. Eller shone towards the end of the season and in the playoffs, Bozak has he's best half a season as he burst onto the NHL.

Now for Gomez coming back to form, I only hope he does... I really do.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 06:17 PM
  #75
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
Without the Wiz pickup last year we were dead in the water. No playoffs, nothing. The thing is that this year we're thinner on D without Hammer and we're laughably low on trade assets.
I am aware that we are thinner on D. Doesn't change the fact that we have proven time and time again that we have the depth to compete even with key players out. We have some NHL ready/capable farm players(Enqvist, Blunden, Palushaj, Avtsin, Diaz) ready to fill holes if necessary. We also have good roster depth as well, look for us to acquire one more forward before the season starts.

About Wiz, you do not know that. Montreal had a pretty comfortable cruise to the playoffs the whole season. And they were either in 1st or 2nd in the division the whole time.

And its not like we just didn't lose Markov, Gorges, Spacek and even the savior Wiz was out for a while too.

Quote:
All the trades we've made the past 3 years for busts (Tangs), departing FA's (Wiz, Sopel, Schneider, Mara, Moore, Lang), and the Tinordi trade up are rearing their ugly head.
What about all the nice trades that gave us viable assets moving forward, for redundant players that had no place on the club?

Eller and Schultz for Halak
Blunden for Russell
Miteria for Carle
Palushaj for D'Agostini
Josepha Didier for Maxwell.

Quote:
Our farm is very thin, and yet we're still setting ourselves up for a season where we'll need to dip into our draft picks to replace key injuries/poor performers.
It is not as strong as it once was, but our roster has never been this strong either. And even then, it is still in top half of the league in terms of overall depth.

Avtsin, Weber, Leblanc, Kristo, Tinordi, Beaulieu is still a pretty good crop of prospects.

Quote:
We're becoming the Leafs circa early 2000's.
A little dramatic don't you think?

Quote:
Look at some of the picks we've traded.

1st Tanguay
2nd Tanguay
2nd Schneider
2nd Lang
2nd Moore
2nd (Got a 4th back in the Tinordi trade)
2nd Wiz
2nd from Schneider was from Huet
2nd from Lang was from Grabovsky
Who honestly cares about the Tinordi trade, its a swap of a 2nd and a 4th for a player they wanted.
2nd from Wiz was acquired through the Fischer compensation.

Its not like these picks are just getting shoveled to other teams, a lot of them are coming from the trades of players that are not longer fitting into the club, ie, assets.

Being a GM of a team is an ever long transfer of asset for asset, you can't just look at them separately and out of context. You have to consider the nature of a cap strapped team, in which not all assets can be used for permanent members of the team, because there is not enough room to keep them all.

You can always look at the bad, but you have to look at the whole picture. We may be in the negative for accumulation of draft picks, but many of our assets traded, were acquired on the other end. But you also have to notice we have made the playoffs 4 years in a row, if it costs a little bit of draft picks to do that, I am all for it. Draft picks are largely over rated, its important to use them wisely, but I would rather have tangible results than futures.

And lastly, I have beliefs that this team is trending upwards in terms of being a strong team. I saw progress from the first, to last, and I predict they will be very strong this season. The whole purpose of building a team is to have consistency, but also attempt to improve gradually and set up a window for yourself.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.