HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

salei/biron score in arbitration

Closed Thread

Old
08-09-2004, 03:15 PM
neelynugs

vCash: 500
salei/biron score in arbitration

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...16&hubName=nhl

biron- 2.8 million
salei- 2.4 million

ducks may want to start looking for a taker

Old
08-09-2004, 03:35 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Seems like quite a coup for Biron.

Old
08-09-2004, 03:45 PM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

IMO both Biron and Salei got too much. To me, if I were Anaheim I would walk away from Salei's award.

Arbitration is one of the big problems with the current CBA - I presume the owners will try very hard to get arbitration excluded from the next CBA.

Old
08-09-2004, 04:09 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
So far all the arbitration awards this year were more than fair until Salei, he doesn't deserve that amount of money at all.

Old
08-09-2004, 04:11 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Didn't Salei make $1.8 million last season? A $600 000 raise is a bit excessive, but not by much in my opinion.

Biron's was completely off the mark.

Old
08-09-2004, 04:11 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Salei's is just ****** insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now WTF is Jason Smith going to ask from an arbitor!? 3 million a year all of a sudden seams with in market range when looking at Salei!!!!!!

08-09-2004, 04:13 PM
Lyons71

Arbitration is (in my opinion) the main problem with spending/money. The Boston management really wants Lapointe, so they severely overpay for him. Then, when other players go to arbitration they say, "look what he got," and salaries go up.

Walk from Salei, it's not worth 2.4 million for a #4.

Old
08-09-2004, 04:15 PM
Malakhov

Arbitration hasn't been a problem this year so far with the exception of Salei.

Old
08-09-2004, 04:19 PM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Didn't Salei make $1.8 million last season? A $600 000 raise is a bit excessive, but not by much in my opinion.

Biron made 2.2 Last season.

2.2-2.8 = 600,000

600k = 600k

What's your point?

Old
08-09-2004, 04:19 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit

Biron made $2.2 mil last year, also a $600,000 raise. Both deals are rediculous IMO, Salei's moreso.

Old
08-09-2004, 04:23 PM
Malakhov

Biron was already making 2.2 millions last year and he had a great season, his 600k raise is justified.

Old
08-09-2004, 04:24 PM
Brodeur

Say the Ducks choose to walk away from the ruling, does anybody think a team would sign Salei for more than 80% of the arbitrator's ruling? 80% of 2.4 mil is 1.92 mil.

The Ducks would have the right to match if Salei signed an offer sheet for less than 1.92 mil.

Old
08-09-2004, 04:26 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov
Biron was already making 2.2 millions last year and he had a great season, his 600k raise is justified.

Biron played better when the team was already out of contention...again.

Wow, thanks Marty.

Old
08-09-2004, 04:26 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
he was still inconsistent last year.

reading the thread on the Sabres board, most of their fans also don't think that raise is justified... they don't seem too happy with this decision.

I posted it there, but with a $2.8mill award, to me it'd make more sense for the Sabres to walk away from it, and sign Weekes - obviously negotiate with Weekes first to see if he'll sign and what he'll sign for.

it's a weak goalie market in the NHL right now, and Weekes is still on the outside looking in... he could sign for a less - around $2mill - and give the Sabres no drop off in replacing Biron with Weekes.... that's if they don't think that Noronen-Miller is ready to be a fulltime duo... otherwise they could use the money to re-sign Zhitnik or another dman, which IMO they need more.

Old
08-09-2004, 04:27 PM
Malakhov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21

Stats only tell part of the story...
Where did I mention any stats in my post? I said he had a great season last year and he did. He's vastly underrated on these boards.

Old
08-09-2004, 04:28 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Where did I mention any stats in my post? I said he had a great season last year and he did. He's vastly underrated on these boards.
I just edited my post but...

He did not have anywhere close to a "great" season last year. Clearly, you pulled up the stats and went from there. I don't know how else you can come to such a misguided conclusion. Well, ok, he's Canadian, but who really cares...

Old
08-09-2004, 04:32 PM
littleHossa

Yeah a great season would of been to actually lead the Sabres to the playoffs.

Old
08-09-2004, 04:34 PM
shveik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons71
Arbitration is (in my opinion) the main problem with spending/money. The Boston management really wants Lapointe, so they severely overpay for him. Then, when other players go to arbitration they say, "look what he got," and salaries go up.

Walk from Salei, it's not worth 2.4 million for a #4.
1. You cannot use UFA salaries in arbitration, so whatever Lapointe (or Holik, or any other UFA player) has no bearing on the salaries awarded in arbitration.

2. Salei is not the #4 on the Ducks. He has gotten the most icetime among defencemen on the Ducks the past season, and I suspect that was the main argument in getting the money.

3. There will be quite a few teams that would love to have Salei at 2.4mil. If Ducks walk away from the reward, they will lose Salei for nothing.

Old
08-09-2004, 04:34 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Quote:
Rule #1 of Arbitration: Unresticted Free Agents cannot be used as comparables.

Old
08-09-2004, 04:39 PM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
The main reason I believe Biron got a raise to $2.8M is more relative to the rest of the league, than his performance.

What he got last year ($2.2M) was low comparitive to the other starting goaltenders around the league, and I'm sure he used that as an argument.

Does he deserve $2.8M? Maybe. Depends on his performance the coming season.

I don't think they should walk away from it.

Old
08-09-2004, 04:41 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
he was still inconsistent last year.

reading the thread on the Sabres board, most of their fans also don't think that raise is justified... they don't seem too happy with this decision.

I posted it there, but with a $2.8mill award, to me it'd make more sense for the Sabres to walk away from it, and sign Weekes - obviously negotiate with Weekes first to see if he'll sign and what he'll sign for.

it's a weak goalie market in the NHL right now, and Weekes is still on the outside looking in... he could sign for a less - around $2mill - and give the Sabres no drop off in replacing Biron with Weekes.... that's if they don't think that Noronen-Miller is ready to be a fulltime duo... otherwise they could use the money to re-sign Zhitnik or another dman, which IMO they need more.
I agree. Buf should walk away from this award. 2.8 million for a 1A goaltender is a lot of money for a fiscal franchise. They have other options that are just a good and they can save some money in the process.

Old
08-09-2004, 04:42 PM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur
Say the Ducks choose to walk away from the ruling, does anybody think a team would sign Salei for more than 80% of the arbitrator's ruling? 80% of 2.4 mil is 1.92 mil.

The Ducks would have the right to match if Salei signed an offer sheet for less than 1.92 mil.
That also means that any team that offers him $2 million will get his rights. You may see the Ducks accept the award, and then deal Salei, paying $500,000 of his salary, which would make it $1.9 million, less than any team could sign him for.

No one will likely give him more than $2 million, which is around the mark the Ducks would/should sign him to.

Old
08-09-2004, 04:51 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Ducks should have signed Salei to a long term deal at 2 a season. 3 years at 2 a year would have been reasonable. Would have taken him into UFA status...now the Ducks are stuck in a tough spot. Anything over 2.5 they were going to walk from in my opinion. 2.4 they aren't going to walk from but will have to listen to trade offers.

Old
08-09-2004, 05:07 PM
Rand

I'm surprised Biron broke 2.5M, he struggled badly during the first half of the season and he's never shown any signs of consistency at all.
He played quite solidly in the latter half of the season, but playing well for 3 months out of a year isn't good enough.

I don't feel Buffalo will walk from it, but it's more then I expected.

I think Biron has the skills to do decently if Buffalo would just stop screwing with him and give him the #1 role straight out. Every time they've tried to utilize multiple goalies regularly Biron has faltered.
The lone seasion in which he has the #1 role straight out he played quite well, just as he did when cleanly handed the #1 role in the latter portion of this year.
Biron's clearly a goalie that needs regular minutes to play well.

Salei's award isn't much higher then I expected. He led Ducks blueliners in minutes played, and was second only two Vishnevski in +/-... which tends to be one of the very few defensive stats arbitrators may any attention to.
He played on the 2nd PP unit, and was solid defensively.

Given his very significant role on the team I was expecting right around 2.3M which is only slightly lower that what he got.

Old
08-09-2004, 05:10 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Except that Lapointe was signed as an UFA. RFA's shouldn't be making the same money as UFA's and as such the comparison shouldn't be valid. I don't think you can use UFA signings to make your case.

Closed Thread