HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Keith Gretzky be held accountable?

Old
06-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Magnifique

vCash: 500
Will Keith Gretzky be held accountable?

Will GMDM do anything about this? What can he do about this? Does the fact we have no owner mean these guys can pretty much do as they please with no consequences?

We lost a lot of movable assets in the last two days, and we have replaced nothing. Our prospect pool doesn't even look any better then it did before the draft. Does anyone else get the feeling they have given up on this organization?

I'm blown away right now, we had some hopes of getting a little better, right now that doesn't look likely and our GM wasted our picks.

Last edited by Magnifique: 06-25-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

But Yandle was a steal in the 4th.

I want to apologize to all for my negativity, I am having a hard time being a fan right now.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:01 PM
Kaibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
But Yandle was a steal in the 4th.

I want to apologize to all for my negativity, I am having a hard time being a fan right now.
Yandle wasn't Keith Gretzky's pick. He became head of amateur scouting in July 2007 and I think he was in charge of OHL before that, right?

Kaibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:03 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur View Post
Yandle wasn't Keith Gretzky's pick. He became head of amateur scouting in July 2007 and I think he was in charge of OHL before that, right?
I sort of knew that, I just had to go back a ways to find a pick that exceeded expectations.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:04 PM
Kaibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotes Persevere View Post
Does anyone else get the feeling they have given up on this organization?
Apparently they're not the only ones. The Yotes main site has us drafting Nick Cousins at #68 in the 3rd round. Apparently they're not even paying attention enough to know that was the Columbus 3rd from the Jeff Carter deal, not the Philly 3rd from the Bryzgalov deal. We're running a real professional operation right now.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:04 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
The good old days. It's seemed almost too easy these past couple years. We should have known it wouldn't last.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Steve Lyons has been our most successful scout by far. Why hasnt he been given a single pick out of five in the first four rounds. Maybe he turned them down but Im sure he had a prospect or two he liked.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Stump

Quote:
Will GMDM do anything about this? What can he do about this? Does the fact we have no owner mean these guys can pretty much do as they please with no consequences?

We lost a lot of movable assets in the last two days, and we have replaced nothing. Our prospect pool doesn't even look any better then it did before the draft. Does anyone else get the feeling they have given up on this organization?

I'm blown away right now, we had some hopes of getting a little better, right now that doesn't look likely and our GM wasted our picks.

I'm not understanding your logic here. I think the time to question Keith Gretzky was before this draft; are you judging him on some of these picks today, because we need to wait a few years to pass judgment on them.

And if you're questioning why we haven't traded these picks for a warm body that can help us this year, that question of why rightfully belongs with Maloney.

Stump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:55 PM
Magnifique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump View Post
I'm not understanding your logic here. I think the time to question Keith Gretzky was before this draft; are you judging him on some of these picks today, because we need to wait a few years to pass judgment on them.

And if you're questioning why we haven't traded these picks for a warm body that can help us this year, that question of why rightfully belongs with Maloney.
I think most of us have questioned Gretzky for a while, but now it is officially out of hand. We went into this draft looking for forwards, specifically centers; there were plenty available at the twenty spot, and we went with a defenseman. Then, with our first pick of the second round, we take one of our scouts' son who wasn't even ranked close to where we took him. You don't think any questioning should come from this draft, and not just the obvious past mistakes?

I also question why no trades were made, read a couple threads and you'll see I put the blame entirely on GMDM.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:58 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:

I also question why no trades were made, read a couple threads and you'll see I put the blame entirely on GMDM.
You'd be the first to cry if he overpaid for someone. Give it up. The market is not great for whatever our assets are.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:00 PM
hbk

Quote:
I think most of us have questioned Gretzky for a while, but now it is officially out of hand. We went into this draft looking for forwards, specifically centers; there were plenty available at the twenty spot, and we went with a defenseman. Then, with our first pick of the second round, we take one of our scouts' son who wasn't even ranked close to where we took him. You don't think any questioning should come from this draft, and not just the obvious past mistakes?

This draft isn't horrendous. Murphy was a cheer out loud moment for me. Lessio was a solid selection. Fritsch is a surprise in the 6th round. Kessy has decent upside.

The only question I think we have is the Ruutu selection which was a reach; however, the kid was a fast rising player who has some offensive upside. Would he have been available in the 3rd round where we took Ruopp? I doubt it to be honest. I would have rather had seen him go at 56 instead of 51 though. The appearance of this selection smells bad... which is why a number of us are looking at it with raised eyebrows.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

draft grade: D+

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Kaibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump View Post

Gretzky took Lindberg in the 2nd round and Maloney traded him less than a year later for a guy he personally knew. That says something about how much he trusts his own judgment over that of Gretzky/Ruuttu. He also traded away Staal, who was a Gretzky pick.

When you look at all the picks under Gretzky's tenure as head of amateur scouting, after the early 1st round guys like Turris, Boedker and OEL, only Tikhonov (61GP) and Maclean (13GP) have played in the NHL so far and they were both in the 25-35 range, so not exactly diamonds in the rough. It might still be early on a couple of guys, but suffice to say we're not getting anything better than what basic probability would render.

Old
06-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Swat Ultra
~Hockey!~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post
draft grade: D+
Was there a curve?

This draft has been disappointing, i understand you don't know what you truly get for a few years, but you can improve you chances greatly with what they show currently we chose very poor picks. We would of been better off trading them for a current 4th line center, then what we got.

From the interview with DM it was funny how they made the comment that no one really talked to him all draft showing no interest in the coyotes.....

Swat Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:41 PM
kingbrutis

I dont get it. In recent years our drafting has been very good to great. No one has any idea how this kids will turn out. All of the great teams draft the best player that fits thier style, period. If there are no deals to be made to better your team, what do you want GMDM to do? It's not NHL 11 where you can just create players.

GMDM said that there were no centers @ 20 worth that high of a pick. So you pick the best guy.

Everyone here has complained for 2 years that we haven't given our kids a chance. It looks like they finally will. So stop complaining about that. Keith drafted these guys and they will be full time NHL'ers this year. Tik, OEL, Turris, Bods, Mac, Gormley. That's pretty good over the course of a few years.

kingbrutis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

I think all of us feel cheated that our scouting department continues to "reach" for players when they could get them later.

I don't have a crystal ball or anything, but I'm sure that we could have gotten Ruutu's kid in the 4th or later rounds.

this reminds me of the draft when we selected Staal in the 2nd round (he was projected in the 4-5) and we took him early 2nd.

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:57 PM
kingbrutis

Well EVERYONE said we reached for Visitine. It's earily, but the kid looks like a stud. If there is a guy who you want, you take him. All of these rankings really mean nothing. They just give us something to complain about when a guy is ranked lower.

kingbrutis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:05 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I'm sure the brokeback dman has just as good a shot as the horse jockey Grimaldi or the slow as molasses Jenner. ****** draft, every single kid at 20 had serious warts and red flags.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 08:35 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

One of the conditions when Wayne left was that his bro got a lifetime, guaranteed contract. (Sorry, my disappointment is at an all-time high...)

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:16 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Honestly? It's completely understandable given how the ownership matter has turned into the NHL equivalent of the movie 'Groundhog Day'.

Last edited by Dolemite: 06-26-2011 at 05:08 AM.
Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 07:31 PM
Magnifique

I guess the answer to this question would be: Yes.

Old
07-28-2011, 07:38 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I'm sure the brokeback dman has just as good a shot as the horse jockey Grimaldi or the slow as molasses Jenner. ****** draft, every single kid at 20 had serious warts and red flags.
Haha. See? I TOLD you guys I'm an optimist.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Kaizen

KG certainly didn't move the team to the upper echelon in its drafting but he also didn't ***** the bed so to speak.

Looking at this drafting there have been some good picks and some that we'd all like a do over on.

Knickle certainly has experience in scouting realm, and while we won't be able to analyze this move for quite some time, it appears to be the right move at the right time (ie. KG's contract was probably done).

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:36 PM
hbk

Redline loved our Kessy pick and mocked our selections of Ruutu and Ruopp.

At various points in time I've questioned the quality of our amateur scouts. The selection of Visentin (which I now admit was actually a very good selection in hindsight) but we wasted a number of second rounders in recent years. First on a seemingly never ending pursuit of a goalie. Then the trading up to draft players like Tikhonov who looked more like a 3rd liner than impact player that Gretzky hoped he would be. Absolutely blowing key assets and additional picks at the same time meant something had to change.

I still love the Conner Murphy selection though.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote