HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Varlamov to Avs [Part II]

View Poll Results: Do you like this deal?
Yes! 59 44.36%
No! 17 12.78%
We'll See... 43 32.33%
Don't care we got a goaler! 14 10.53%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-31-2011, 08:52 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
He's on the team.

End of discussion. He has yet to even play a scrimmage in Burgundy and Blue and we're already berating him.

He's a world-class goaltender... I consider him one of the top-5 best goaltenders under 25 years old.

We are very lucky to have him on our team. The price was high but he can reap high dividends for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvsFan View Post
Seconded. Time to move on.
Don't make comments about what people are saying if you aren't reading what they are saying. No one is berating Varlamov or even upset that he's our starter. I for one, as I mentioned multiple times, would take him over most all of the options out there including Vokoun. The debate was over the idea of value, and how much Varlamov's either was or wasn't affected.

Some people feel like detailing why they believe something one way or the other. Time to move on to another thread if you hate this idea so much. It's not required reading. You don't sit there and listen to music you hate do you?

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 10:11 PM
EdAVSfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Don't make comments about what people are saying if you aren't reading what they are saying. No one is berating Varlamov or even upset that he's our starter. I for one, as I mentioned multiple times, would take him over most all of the options out there including Vokoun. The debate was over the idea of value, and how much Varlamov's either was or wasn't affected.

Some people feel like detailing why they believe something one way or the other. Time to move on to another thread if you hate this idea so much. It's not required reading. You don't sit there and listen to music you hate do you?
I agree. We were having a pretty reasonable discussion. In fact, it wasnt even putting varlamov down at all. I guess people see discussions as complaining.

EdAVSfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 10:27 PM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieAVS View Post
I agree. We were having a pretty reasonable discussion. In fact, it wasnt even putting varlamov down at all. I guess people see discussions as complaining.
Not really. I think everybody gets it. Until proven otherwise most are going to feel that we overpaid for a quality asset. I think nothing new is being said at this point so I am hoping we can move the discussion to what Varlamov is likely to bring to the team. If not that is the poster's prerogative.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 01:15 AM
StuckOutHere

Quote:
Not really. I think everybody gets it. Until proven otherwise most are going to feel that we overpaid for a quality asset. I think nothing new is being said at this point so I am hoping we can move the discussion to what Varlamov is likely to bring to the team. If not that is the poster's prerogative.
Fair enough... I think he will steal some games for us and if he can stay healthy will make this trade fine... his resume is that he is a top 10 goalie in save percentage and goals against, but he can't seem to handle a #1 goalies role just yet. That's not my opinion that's what he has shown the last two seasons... which is why I will suggest he doesn't play back to back games and only two out of three type of thing, while not letting him play more than 55 games...28 games more than he played last season... while he can develop into a 65 game guy later but not this year trying to get that out of him this season will probably lead to him with yet another injury... he is 23, for goalies these things take time

StuckOutHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 08:43 AM
foppagirl21

Quote:
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck out here View Post
Fair enough... I think he will steal some games for us and if he can stay healthy will make this trade fine... his resume is that he is a top 10 goalie in save percentage and goals against, but he can't seem to handle a #1 goalies role just yet. That's not my opinion that's what he has shown the last two seasons... which is why I will suggest he doesn't play back to back games and only two out of three type of thing, while not letting him play more than 55 games...28 games more than he played last season... while he can develop into a 65 game guy later but not this year trying to get that out of him this season will probably lead to him with yet another injury... he is 23, for goalies these things take time
I agree about the back-to-back games (let Giguere play one of them), however I do not agree that Varlamov should only play 55 games. He's coming to Colorado expecting to be the #1 goaltender. Say at the beginning of the season (or as things move along) it looks as if his body cannot hold up to a 60-65 game pace, then we can talk about lowering his starts. Until then, I am expecting solid starting numbers. Not sure as to what I expect out of Varly stats-wise, but all I can say is this: there was a list that came out ranking Varly 26th in the league- he's gotta crack the top-15 for me. I know I expect a lot (trying not to so much anymore), but I am sick of having sub-par goaltending as well as getting ragged on for giving up "too much" for him.

Here's to Varly proving the ENTIRE league wrong!

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 08:57 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by foppagirl21 View Post
Well said.

I agree about the back-to-back games (let Giguere play one of them), however I do not agree that Varlamov should only play 55 games. He's coming to Colorado expecting to be the #1 goaltender. Say at the beginning of the season (or as things move along) it looks as if his body cannot hold up to a 60-65 game pace, then we can talk about lowering his starts. Until then, I am expecting solid starting numbers. Not sure as to what I expect out of Varly stats-wise, but all I can say is this: there was a list that came out ranking Varly 26th in the league- he's gotta crack the top-15 for me. I know I expect a lot (trying not to so much anymore), but I am sick of having sub-par goaltending as well as getting ragged on for giving up "too much" for him.

Here's to Varly proving the ENTIRE league wrong!
I agree with you, I except him to start around 60 games, everytime I saw him play for Caps he was at least solid, keep in mind that Caps weren't exactly a good defensive team before this season, he faced so much brakeaways every night it looked silly at times, plus the way he played in that series against Pitt was amazing.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 09:07 AM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck out here View Post
This is where I am at too. I like everything I see about the kid except his ability to handle the workload of being a number one. We have a very good backup so lets ease Varly into the role this year. I think 50-55 games is a perfect target. Minimize or eliminate the back to backs. Keep him healthy and I think we have our solution in goal.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 11:01 AM
SameOld

Thought you guys might be interested - here's some pictures and video of Varly working out in Hershey, PA. He's a good guy, hope he works out for you.

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...ason-training/

SameOld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 11:03 AM
SouthernBaseball

Behind the scenes of Varly's offseason training

Avalanche cap and Capitals T-shirt.

SouthernBaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermit025 View Post
Thought you guys might be interested - here's some pictures and video of Varly working out in Hershey, PA. He's a good guy, hope he works out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBaseball View Post

Thanks for the link guys.

Old
08-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Creamy Freshness

I will admit that I have a tendency to overvalue draft picks and potential, and I will also admit to having a pretty emotional negative reaction to this trade when it was first announced. Knowing that Pracey typically does an outstanding job, there was a part of me that was looking forward to adding another top 10 draft pick in what is viewed as a pretty strong draft class next year.

Since then, however, I have come to believe this was a really good trade by Sherman. Any draft pick comes with a lot of unknown risks, and many of them never even taste a cup of coffee in the NHL. At least Varlamov has clearly shown he has the potential to be an elite goalie. As mentioned, if he had already fully reached that potential, there's no way CO would get him for only a first and a second.

I think he's going to approach this coming season with a real chip on his shoulder, and I think the first rounder is going to end up being much closer to the 20th overall than the 1st overall. And I'd give up a late 1st and a late 2nd for a franchise goalie any day.

Last edited by Creamy Freshness: 08-01-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Creamy Freshness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 08:55 AM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamy Freshness View Post
I will admit that I have a tendency to overvalue draft picks and potential, and I will also admit to having a pretty emotional negative reaction to this trade when it was first announced. Knowing that Pracey typically does an outstanding job, there was a part of me that was looking forward to adding another top 10 draft pick in what is viewed as a pretty strong draft class next year.

Since then, however, I have come to believe this was a really good trade by Sherman. Any draft pick comes with a lot of unknown risks, and many of them never even taste a cup of coffee in the NHL. At least Varlamov has clearly shown he has the potential to be an elite goalie. As mentioned, if he had already fully reached that potential, there's no way CO would get him for only a first and a second.

I think he's going to approach this coming season with a real chip on his shoulder, and I think the first rounder is going to end up being much closer to the 20th overall than the 1st overall. And I'd give up a late 1st and a late 2nd for a franchise goalie any day.
Exactly Semyon seems like the type of guy who's going to be pissed about all the *****ing and moaning in the media about this trade so that when the team starts sputtering I fully expect him to steal some games for us to give everyone a kick in the ass. That's what I love about this kid, he's got that "**** you puck, you're not going into my net" stubborn-ness that makes a goalie great and capable of taking a game over.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 09:10 AM
asmodeanreborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
That's what I love about this kid, he's got that "**** you puck, you're not going into my net" stubborn-ness that makes a goalie great and capable of taking a game over.
Which is the opposite of Cloutier, who's more like "Awww, what a cute puck! Wanna play 'hide and seek' in the net over here?"

asmodeanreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Creamy Freshness

I don't think it'll even be the media that serves as his primary motivation, it'll be the way the Caps handled things and then eventually traded him away. He's got something to prove to them.

He says he's healthy, and he's obviously working hard in an effort to prevent the injuries from becoming chronic.

If the Avs new D can go from giving up 32 shots a game to only giving up 30, Varly & Jiggy will need to maintain a .916 SV% to get to a team 2.5 GAA.

Compare that to '09-'10 when Anderson and Budaj maintained a .917 SV% and CO made the playoffs. Some solid goaltending will make a world of difference for this team.

Creamy Freshness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamy Freshness View Post
I don't think it'll even be the media that serves as his primary motivation, it'll be the way the Caps handled things and then eventually traded him away. He's got something to prove to them.

He says he's healthy, and he's obviously working hard in an effort to prevent the injuries from becoming chronic.

If the Avs new D can go from giving up 32 shots a game to only giving up 30, Varly & Jiggy will need to maintain a .916 SV% to get to a team 2.5 GAA.

Compare that to '09-'10 when Anderson and Budaj maintained a .917 SV% and CO made the playoffs. Some solid goaltending will make a world of difference for this team.
Giving up 30+ shots wasn't the issue last season IMHO, the problem was that our D-man allowed other teams players to camp infront of our net, and by this they made the job for our sub-par goalies that much harder, just look at the season before, Avs gave up a lot of shots, but they mostly came from blueline, and goalies had clear view of the puck coming in, because players infront of them cleared a path between them and shooters.

Old
08-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBaseball View Post

Nice to see both him and EJ working really hard this offseason and trying to get better.

He said he was going to train in Hershey until August 1st and then visit his parents in Russia for two weeks. I think he's supposed to be back in Denver and training in mid August.

Last edited by Avs_19: 08-03-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:50 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 250
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Nice to see both him and EJ working really hard this offseason and trying to get better.

He said he was going to train in Hershey until August 1st and then visit his parents in Russia for two weeks. I think he's supposed to be back in Denver and training in mid August.
Its on twitter he's hosting a goalie camp back in Russia this week.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:30 PM
the_fan

Solid D can make a world of difference for a goalie. Avs D is improved, i look for Varlamov to have much better season (seasons) in Colorado than he did in Washington.

He knows the team gave up alot to get him, and he also knows that the Avs are giving him the #1 spot in net and trusting him to be that main guy.

Plus, i think in Washington he did more partying (drinking) with fellow Russians Ovechkin and Semin, than working out.

I know how those Russians do things once they get together, i know since i'm part Russian

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 07:20 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by HishonHishoff View Post
Well when LaCroix explained that he was going to build the team again like he did before, he wasn't lying.

They have their two franchise centers, they have their goalie, and they also now have a top defenseman. The only thing that bothers me is that I think from here on out you're going to see a mixture of kids coming up and a mixture of kids being dealt to get to the next level (i.e. acquiring wingers and other top pairing d-men). It's worked before, so it's unfair for anyone to knock the way this team has been built - the Avs have two Stanley Cups in the mantle that very well prove this is a "way to win" and a "way to build the team" but as a fan I think we become so engrossed with draft picks and prospects that it's easy to criticize when deals like this go down.
I get what you are saying and I actually like the trade but also understand the reservations many are having. There is a huge difference between trading a 1st and two (2) 2nds for a goalie who has won 40 games (30 in the regular season and 10 in the real season and still has not played one for the AVs) and trading Jocelyn Thibault, Martin Ručínský, and Andrei Kovalenko for Patrick Roy and the Canadien's Captain Mike Keane. Roy already had won two Cups and we got their Captain. Varlamov is good but he's won 40 games. I'm not ready to say we've got our goalie for the future but I am very happy we've got a youngster with loads of potential. I'm also happy that management went to PL and got their balls back to actually trade for a goalie with upside. The last few years have been kinda hard to watch if you looked at the defending zone between the D-men and AHL starting caliber goalies.

There's certainly a risk in this trade but it is one that I am happy the AVs made. They also went out and got JS Giguere who I personally feel will not be much worse than Vokoun...who most wanted us to nab as our #1 for a stop-gap. Maybe I have too much faith in Giguere...as weird as it sounds that image of him on the ice after the Ducks lost the Cup to NJ is as much the image of a winner to me as the picture of Brodeur with the Cup held high. I really think Giguere is going to be a great leader on this young team...and not only to Varly. I expect his knowledge and compete level will help the young d-men as well.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 07:36 PM
the_fan

There is no way in hell an NHL team can build a cup winning team based only on draft picks

You gotta draft good but also trade and sign free agents until you got the right core of players that's going to win

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 02:14 AM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 2975
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
There's certainly a risk in this trade but it is one that I am happy the AVs made. They also went out and got JS Giguere who I personally feel will not be much worse than Vokoun...who most wanted us to nab as our #1 for a stop-gap. Maybe I have too much faith in Giguere...as weird as it sounds that image of him on the ice after the Ducks lost the Cup to NJ is as much the image of a winner to me as the picture of Brodeur with the Cup held high. I really think Giguere is going to be a great leader on this young team...and not only to Varly. I expect his knowledge and compete level will help the young d-men as well.
I like Giguere, and really wanted him a while back before he'd fallen off and there were small rumors that the Avs were looking at him (something about it seemed like a natural fit, and it was more than just the fact that he was French Canadian). I still hope that he gets his mojo back, of course. That would be awesome. But I can't put much faith into him at this point. The best I can realistically expect is that he's a solid back-up whose real value comes with his experience.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Giguere = craig billington?

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 05:53 PM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
I get what you are saying and I actually like the trade but also understand the reservations many are having. There is a huge difference between trading a 1st and two (2) 2nds for a goalie who has won 40 games (30 in the regular season and 10 in the real season and still has not played one for the AVs) and trading Jocelyn Thibault, Martin Ručínský, and Andrei Kovalenko for Patrick Roy and the Canadien's Captain Mike Keane. Roy already had won two Cups and we got their Captain. Varlamov is good but he's won 40 games. I'm not ready to say we've got our goalie for the future but I am very happy we've got a youngster with loads of potential. I'm also happy that management went to PL and got their balls back to actually trade for a goalie with upside. The last few years have been kinda hard to watch if you looked at the defending zone between the D-men and AHL starting caliber goalies.

Two second round picks?

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 11:03 PM
foppagirl21

Hey team, fresh from Twitter (yes, I know)- a picture of Varlamov on the ice in full gear wearing his brand spanking new Avalanche jersey!

http://russianmachineneverbreaks.tum...alanche-jersey

Lookin' good if I do say so myself.

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 11:48 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Not in new equipment yet.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote