HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles trade Trent Hunter for Brian Rolston (Post 203 Hunter on Waivers)

Old
07-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

vCash: 500
Anyone know what the conditional pick is?

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Brunomics

Maybe they can give us the 1st rounder they have to give up due to the Kovie fiasco

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:22 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
I like this move, Rolston is definitely an upgrade over Hunter IMO, also helps us reach the cap floor.

He also is in the last year of his deal, while Hunter had another year at 2mil.
Agreed this is a good deal for both sides

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:23 PM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

fine with this. not earthshaking, but he'll be more vocal and on-ice useful than trent. weird to help lou out with the dollars, but i guess the old cap floor issue is raising its head again.

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:23 PM
majormet

It is a decent move and I am a Trent Hunter fan, but he won't put up the numbers that Rolston will put up. Rolston is good for 30-40 points, while Hunter will struggle to get 20 points.

I think we deal Bailey to get a top 4 dman now. Rolston will give us a 3rd line center for Nino and Comeau. I was thinking Gomez to be acquired to free up Bailey for trade, but now Rolston is here to make Bailey expendable.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:25 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Don't mind this at all. Hunter sucks (I know Rolston does too), and this helps us get to the cap floor.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:26 PM
leeroggy

This certainly upgrades the team speed and gives us another left hand shot on the wing as well as PP experience on the point for the second unit. Now Streit and maybe Okposo on the first team PP Point and Hamonic/Rolston on the second unit.

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal

I like this. But a little confused. Islanders Facebook page put up a link 20 minute ago saying Hunter for Rolston and a conditional '12 pick. Then 5 minutes ago they put up an "UPDATED" link saying Hunter for Rolston (no mention of conditional pick). Which one is it?

Hershey Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Strang saying we aren't getting a pick now.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riders on the Strome View Post
Don't mind this at all. Hunter sucks (I know Rolston does too), and this helps us get to the cap floor.
Rolston isn't a bad hockey player, in all actuality. He's just a tremendous cap burden, mostly due to the 35+ clause in his contract.

He's still a reliable 3rd line F (can spot 2nd line duty as well) who can kill penalties, and has a rocket shot from the point.

Hip Of Rick

vCash: 50
good move, Rolston can help the pp and is gone after this year (prob to the front office with Weight ) Hunter can't skate and has an extra year on his deal

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgraced Cosmonaut View Post
fine with this. not earthshaking, but he'll be more vocal and on-ice useful than trent. weird to help lou out with the dollars, but i guess the old cap floor issue is raising its head again.
I'm ok with this too. In terms of $$, Rolston helps get the team to the cap floor and is in the last year of the deal leaving room for a UFA pickup/promotion next off-season (hopefully).

From a hockey perspective, brings much needed leadership to this team while capable of putting up solid 3rd line numbers.

I'm not so sure that this move makes Bailey expendable. Rolston can play all three forward positions and may look ok flanking Bailey with Comeau. I do think that this may mean that Nino goes pack to Portland for one more year barring a stellar camp. Although, Haley is on a 2 way contract...

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
It is a decent move and I am a Trent Hunter fan, but he won't put up the numbers that Rolston will put up. Rolston is good for 30-40 points, while Hunter will struggle to get 20 points.

I think we deal Bailey to get a top 4 dman now. Rolston will give us a 3rd line center for Nino and Comeau. I was thinking Gomez to be acquired to free up Bailey for trade, but now Rolston is here to make Bailey expendable.
Agreed, if the Isles want Nino on the team it looks like someone will have to be moved.

Moulson-JT-PAP
Grabner-Nielsen-Okposo
Rolston-Bailey-Comeau

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:36 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

I like this deal, I'm not sure any of us had this on the radar. Sad to see Trent go, he was a good Islander and I salute him for that. Injuries have taken a toll on him and he just never lived up to the expectations the fans set on him.

As for Rolston, his acquisition may signal Nino going back to Portland next year - not a bad thing IMO. The extra $3M+ cap hit we absorb should take care of the salary cap floor after all our UFA's are signed.

A Rolston-Bailey-Comeau 3rd line doesn't look too bad. Many have mentioned that both Josh and Blake need a veteran on their line and we may have gotten just that. I'm still waiting for that top 4 defenseman though. Snow and Lou helping each other out.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Rolston was a class act through this entire ordeal. He didnt pount when he was put on waivers, he just stepped up and played solid hockey. Again, he could off just Not waived his NTC, but You guys are getting a classy guy. Good Leader, who plays PP and PK Very well.

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:38 PM
danteipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
Agreed, if the Isles want Nino on the team it looks like someone will have to be moved.

Moulson-JT-PAP
Grabner-Nielsen-Okposo
Rolston-Bailey-Comeau
Those lines would look pretty darn good if PAP were to be replaced by Nino... who then went on to win the Calder.

danteipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Hey guys, just want to throw a few things out there...

I love this trade for both team. We get cap space, you guys get to the floor.

Rollie is a class act and still a very capable player just not at that cap hit (which doesn't matter to you guys). His slapshot is amazing. It still rivals Kovy's, but his accuracy is just a bit off at times. He isn't very physical or speedy anymore but will definitely help the PP and add 15-20 goals.

Can you guys tell me a bit about Hunter? Can he contribute to our team or are we better off giving a shot to Zharkov or Henrique?

Basement Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:48 PM
OlTimeHockey

Nino gets another year in portland, all of our prospects are being handled thoroughly and our team has leadership and character blossoming. Pap? He gets a year to show if his game will evolve past a poor man's Czerkawski. What's in store? The stronger we play through the year, the more likely Snow can carefully weigh a package deal to bring in someone special since we have a full roster.

Even without the trade, we're pretty stacked compared to this past season and night and day better than the year before.

So, if Kabanov, Lee or someone else can show up mid year, could we consider Comeau and Bailey and.....for a legit #1 defenseman?

Snow looks to have come a long way.

The best thing about this - the Isles look better now imagewise. (as good as can be expected since we may be homeless in 2015)

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:50 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

Moulson-Tavares-Okposo
Grabner-Nielsen-Niederreiter
Comeau/Parenteau-Bailey-Rolston
Haley/Gillies-Reasoner-Martin

That's what I'm hoping for. If Comeau is traded for a top 4 dman, then Parenteau takes his place in the lineup. The reason I have Niño taking Okies spot on the second line is because I see them playing a similar game. Power forward who can score, etc. I can't wait for training camp

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:50 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post

Rollie is a class act and still a very capable player just not at that cap hit (which doesn't matter to you guys). His slapshot is amazing. It still rivals Kovy's, but his accuracy is just a bit off at times. He isn't very physical or speedy anymore but will definitely help the PP and add 15-20 goals.

Can you guys tell me a bit about Hunter? Can he contribute to our team or are we better off giving a shot to Zharkov or Henrique?
Trent is very strong on the boards, has battled injuries and was on crutches last year. He has a fairly good shot and is good positioinally. People knock his skating speed which is slow, but he plays a good two way game and by all accounts is a good guy on the bench.

Calgary has coveted him since he came into the league with us, Edmonton fans as well.

He's a good old school hockey winger who just lacks speed.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:51 PM
OpAck

If anything, this really makes me think either Bailey or Comeau are being shopped hard for a d-man. Hunter just didn't have a spot on this team...maybe 4th line, but even then, we've got better options. Rolston on the other hand, can net 10-20 goals and can be penciled in on the 3rd line. I don't think he would've waived his NTC to be a 4th line/healthy scratch next year. This basically adds a forward to our top 3 lines and gives us more leeway in trading a forward for what Snow has been adamant about acquiring via trade...a top 4 d-man.

Take Comeau out, and you've got room for Nino. And if Nino just isn't ready to go, there are guys behind him that can play on the top 3 lines...Martin for one.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:54 PM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Can we lock the Yashin threads now?
No, If anything it increases the chances of Yashin coming.

Go to TSN.ca and watch the video interview. He sounds like a guy who is all but ready signed to come here.

I can almost guarantee, that Bailey or Comeau are going to be moved for a D now, then Yashin signing will be announced.

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:54 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post

He will warm the seat for one of those two

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 12:55 PM
doc e
Bring Back Yanni

Hey guys

I hope Rolston doesn't disappoint. As a few have said, he's still a very capable player and can be a great asset on your young team. He's a strong vet, with an awesome shot, and good leadership qualities. He'll more than likely QB your PP and be very good at it as well.

I never really root against the Islanders. I always felt that we're both friends by both having mutual enemies and you guys bringing Rolston aboard makes me feel that way even more.

doc e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:00 PM
IceAce
RAISED IN A BARN

vCash: 505
Do we have a quota for aging former US Olympians on this team or something?

First Guerin, then Weight, now Rolston. Who's next? Modano?

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote