HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Isles trade Trent Hunter for Brian Rolston (Post 203 Hunter on Waivers)

Old
07-28-2011, 01:00 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc e View Post
I never really root against the Islanders. I always felt that we're both friends by both having mutual enemies and you guys bringing Rolston aboard makes me feel that way even more.
Same here. I never really root against the Rangers or Devils, except when we are playing them of course . But as Devil/Islander/Ranger fans, I think we all share hatred of Pittsburgh and Philly. The only time I was really angry with the Devils was when you guys won the draft lottery and leapfrogged us to get 4th overall. That pissed me off. You guys do so well year after year, then you have one bad year and win the draft lottery. But, we get Strome in the end so I can't really complain

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:00 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
No, If anything it increases the chances of Yashin coming.

Go to TSN.ca and watch the video interview. He sounds like a guy who is all but ready signed to come here.

I can almost guarantee, that Bailey or Comeau are going to be moved for a D now, then Yashin signing will be announced.
How does adding another top 9 forward increase the chances of signing Yashin?

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:04 PM
isleskovalchuk

Does this mean Grabner may be off the PP again?

isleskovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:05 PM
doc e
Bring Back Yanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeZebra View Post
Same here. I never really root against the Rangers or Devils, except when we are playing them of course . But as Devil/Islander/Ranger fans, I think we all share hatred of Pittsburgh and Philly. The only time I was really angry with the Devils was when you guys won the draft lottery and leapfrogged us to get 4th overall. That pissed me off. You guys do so well year after year, then you have one bad year and win the draft lottery. But, we get Strome in the end so I can't really complain
I was thinking more along the lines of our hatred for the Rangers and Flyers, but we can go NY/Jersey hating Philly and Pittsburgh, sure!

doc e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:06 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

I posted this in the trade forum, but I wanted to point out another aspect of this trade that may go unmentioned.

Trent Hunter has been a good Islander. Tons of class. I've heard the same about Rolston. It's never good to be traded from an organization that you've spent a significant amount of time with, but the families of both players should be pretty happy considering the circumstances. With the close proximity geographically between LI and NJ, I hope both families do not have to uproot themselves. Big win in that regard.

I salute Hunter for his service to the Isles and I welcome Rolston to the Island.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:06 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeZebra View Post
Same here. I never really root against the Rangers or Devils, except when we are playing them of course .
The Devils are tolerable. The Rangers can go die in a fire.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:07 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
Rolston is still a good player and a classy guy, I wish both him and the Isles the best this year.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:07 PM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
I will tell you. Rolston is going to be on the 4th line. Haley is not going to be a everyday player, only in the games where they need his toughness. Rolston-Reasoner-Martin I will assume will be the 4th line.

If one of comeau or bailey are dealt for a D, then Yashin will take that spot. Assuming its Comeau, the 3rd line would be Yashin-Bailey-Nino, or if it's Bailey thats dealt Yashin would be the center on that line.

If Rolston was going to be on the 3rd line I would agree with you, but I really don't think he will be. He is essentially just taking Hunter's spot on the 4th line

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:08 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
I have no idea outside of the possibility a third line forward coming to a team with three full lines might swing a deal to move one top niner to acquire a defenseman.....but that's a VERY weak argument. If, say, Bailey were being shipped for a D-man as is being bantered about, Comeau and Rolston and Yashin doesn't sound like a bad line. BUT.....we damn well better be getting a solid defenseman to do this deal if it ever happened - which it won't.

So pretty much kills the Yashin talk, barring a trade.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:09 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but unless there are more trades made (ie. dealing someone like Bailey or Comeau), does adding Rolston mean Nino is headed back to Portland for one more year?

The only spot open for Nino in the top nine was on that third line, but I'm going to assume they didn't acquire Rolston (and his big salary) to play on the fourth line. So logic suggests that open spot is his.
I doubt they are factoring in a decision on Niederreiter at this point. Obviously camp will be a bigger indicator of what they are planning for him. If he's ready, they make room. I'm just thankful they aren't making room BECAUSE they need the cap hit.

Besides, I think they aren't done yet. They still have a giant hole on defense.

Quote:

Go to TSN.ca and watch the video interview. He sounds like a guy who is all but ready signed to come here.

I can almost guarantee, that Bailey or Comeau are going to be moved for a D now, then Yashin signing will be announced.
I hope it's not Yashin.

Comeau is the most likely one to be moved, given the role that Rolston can/will likely play on the team and the pipeline of forwards available over the next couple of years (Strome, Nino, Petrov).

A Comeau-Ballard type move makes too much sense, who knows if it would happen though. I like Comeau but arbitration looming and the money he'll probably get, we shall see.

I just hope they don't trade Bailey.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
goal1228

Quote:
Agreed, if the Isles want Nino on the team it looks like someone will have to be moved.

Moulson-JT-PAP
Grabner-Nielsen-Okposo
Rolston-Bailey-Comeau

Plus Reasoner, unless he's slated for the 4th line - maybe another trade is looming

goal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Macch

Hopefully this means Nino back to Portland.

Im fine with Rolston playing with Bailey and Comeau. A good vet could be exactly what they need.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:11 PM
Strummergas

Quote:

Do yourself and all your fellow posters here a favor and don't guarantee anything. It makes you look foolish when the opposite happens or like a total dick if it does indeed happen as it will most certainly lead to gloating and "I told you so" doucheyness.

Also, please name a legitimate Top 4 defenseman that will be traded for Bailey and Comeau. I honestly can't think of one. Somehow I don't see the connection between the words "Top 4 defenseman" and "Keith Ballard".

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:12 PM
giddy up

Quote:
I will tell you. Rolston is going to be on the 4th line. Haley is not going to be a everyday player, only in the games where they need his toughness. Rolston-Reasoner-Martin I will assume will be the 4th line.

If one of comeau or bailey are dealt for a D, then Yashin will take that spot. Assuming its Comeau, the 3rd line would be Yashin-Bailey-Nino, or if it's Bailey thats dealt Yashin would be the center on that line.

If Rolston was going to be on the 3rd line I would agree with you, but I really don't think he will be. He is essentially just taking Hunter's spot on the 4th line
No way is rolston on the 4th line. He's our highest paid player. I think comeau will be moved. Only way yashin comes is if he's taking parenteus spot IMO

giddy up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Gleb2006

Not a bad trade, gives us his cap for just one year and a nice veteran presence on the team, and he'll be off the books next year for when we add Nino (I doubt he makes the team this year) and possibly even Strome

Gleb2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:13 PM
TennesseeJedd

There is absolutely nothing one can deduce that Nino will be in Portland because of this trade alone.

I would take the Islanders word for it when they say he looks ready and he basicly has a spot to lose.

Personally I would rather he spend another year in Portland then crush the Rookies in 2012-2013 but every indication the Islanders have given is that they expect him to make the roster.

TennesseeJedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Nice move for both sides.

07-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Chardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
$2.0M cap hit for a $5.0M cap hit. You're welcome Lou.

$2M (for 2 more years) of a guy who can't even play, vs. $5M (only one year) of a guy who can still produce, especially on the PP. It's not all about the cap.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:18 PM
MJP

They both blow, now we're just paying 3 mil more. When will we get trading right?

MJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:20 PM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Do yourself and all your fellow posters here a favor and don't guarantee anything. It makes you look foolish when the opposite happens or like a total dick if it does indeed happen as it will most certainly lead to gloating and "I told you so" doucheyness.

Also, please name a legitimate Top 4 defenseman that will be traded for Bailey and Comeau. I honestly can't think of one. Somehow I don't see the connection between the words "Top 4 defenseman" and "Keith Ballard".
Honestly I wouldn't gloat at all. I also said almost guarantee, difference there. I don't think it's far fetched to say that though. Snow came out and said he was going to add a Top 4 defensemen, but it would probably come through trade. So its not ridiculous to say Bailey or Comeau would be dealt.

As far as who that "top 4" D would be, I don't know. Keith Ballard actually is a good defensemen but with the Canucks losing Ehrhoff I am not sure if he's avaliable anymore. I would guess it will be a guy none of us even knew was rumored to be avaliable

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:21 PM
crashthenet

win-win. I always liked both players.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:21 PM
On Edge

Smart move for both sides.

As someone else stated, Hunter was a great guy here but has just about run out of gas. Lockout and bad legs finished him pretty much. More likely to be a depth guy in Albany than on NHL roster for the Devils. I wish him well though - would be very happy to see him turn back time and get 20 goals for them - and Rolston to chip in 20 as well for us!

On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:25 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I doubt they are factoring in a decision on Niederreiter at this point. Obviously camp will be a bigger indicator of what they are planning for him. If he's ready, they make room. I'm just thankful they aren't making room BECAUSE they need the cap hit.

Besides, I think they aren't done yet. They still have a giant hole on defense.

I hope it's not Yashin.

Comeau is the most likely one to be moved, given the role that Rolston can/will likely play on the team and the pipeline of forwards available over the next couple of years (Strome, Nino, Petrov).

A Comeau-Ballard type move makes too much sense, who knows if it would happen though. I like Comeau but arbitration looming and the money he'll probably get, we shall see.

I just hope they don't trade Bailey.
Strome is a center and a vital cog in our future.

Nino is a winger and we have PAP and potentially three other top nine wingers who could be considered trade bait (though I doubt we ever move Moulson - he might land a big fish).

We might be sending Bailey out if we're thinking of our farmhands being groomed to replace the aged vet(S).

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJP View Post
They both blow, now we're just paying 3 mil more. When will we get trading right?
Not really.

First of all Rolston is not that bad, he is just overpaid. He can at least be a serviceable player who can add some leadership, and be a good locker room presence.

Second, Hunter had another year on his deal for 2mil. So we are only paying 1 mil more.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Honestly I wouldn't gloat at all. I also said almost guarantee, difference there. I don't think it's far fetched to say that though. Snow came out and said he was going to add a Top 4 defensemen, but it would probably come through trade. So its not ridiculous to say Bailey or Comeau would be dealt.

As far as who that "top 4" D would be, I don't know. Keith Ballard actually is a good defensemen but with the Canucks losing Ehrhoff I am not sure if he's avaliable anymore. I would guess it will be a guy none of us even knew was rumored to be avaliable
I mean, it's certainly possible that one or both of Bailey and Comeau are sent packing. All I'm saying is (and this isn't directed specifically at you) is that the phrase "Top 4 Defenseman" gets thrown about on this board as if Comeau and or Bailey would actually be able to fetch that. I think one or both can certainly land a Ballard-type, but I'm not so sure that is really a Top 4 player.

I think the possibility of Yashin coming here is now pretty close to nil (and I never was of the belief that the Isles actually had interest in the first place). Even if they made a trade involving Bailey or Comeau (I don't think both are going), I feel like they'd rather promote Nino than sign Yashin for a year.

Of course, something completely unthought of could happen as well. No one really saw this move coming...

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote