HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Isles trade Trent Hunter for Brian Rolston (Post 203 Hunter on Waivers)

Old
07-28-2011, 01:29 PM
ledzep1212
Watch Broad City

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
Not really.

First of all Rolston is not that bad, he is just overpaid. He can at least be a serviceable player who can add some leadership, and be a good locker room presence.

Second, Hunter had another year on his deal for 2mil. So we are only paying 1 mil more.
This

ledzep1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Strome is a center and a vital cog in our future.

Nino is a winger and we have PAP and potentially three other top nine wingers who could be considered trade bait (though I doubt we ever move Moulson - he might land a big fish).

We might be sending Bailey out if we're thinking of our farmhands being groomed to replace the aged vet(S).
Bailey is an aged veteran? The kid is still 21 and still has the potential to break out. I don't see a reason to move unless he is involved in a deal to bring in a true impact player - probably not going to happen though.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dan-o16

Quote:
Not really.

First of all Rolston is not that bad, he is just overpaid. He can at least be a serviceable player who can add some leadership, and be a good locker room presence.

Second, Hunter had another year on his deal for 2mil. So we are only paying 1 mil more.
Yeah. The deal is basically 1+M for a servicable player, as opposed to a non-servicable player. NJD can bury Hunter for cap purposes. Isles can't do that.

The only downside in this deal is helping a competitor. This also probably indicates a trade for Comeau is brewing.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:31 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJP View Post
They both blow, now we're just paying 3 mil more. When will we get trading right?
Actually in the full scheme of it, we pay 1 mil more. We get a guy who can still play, not just sit in the pressbox and is a positive on the ice, not a cone at this point. Plus, we get to the almighty "cap floor".
So yeah, you're right. This trade was so bad

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:35 PM
BradTolliver

I don't completely hate the trade, I just dislike how the Isles are helping a division rival. IMO, Devils win this trade since they a)unload a massive contract (albeit just 1 year) while up against the cap and b)gives them much more wiggle room to help sign Parise.

Isles get a serviceable veteran in return who can contribute but when will the era of taking on bloated contracts to reach the cap floor end?

BradTolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:39 PM
AaronIsles

How are people opposed to this trade? We get a much needed veteran presence in the locker room and a guy who can still skate with the best of them. If anything this is going to help us land more guys, with a guy like Rolston actually waving his NTC to come here. I really see no negative in this deal what so ever.

AaronIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:43 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 160
Since he'll most likely QB a PP, does that mean the McCabe sweepstakes are finally over?

And if a trade for a d-man happens, it's gonna someone really random just like this trade.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:43 PM
TennesseeJedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronIsles View Post
How are people opposed to this trade? We get a much needed veteran presence in the locker room and a guy who can still skate with the best of them. If anything this is going to help us land more guys, with a guy like Rolston actually waving his NTC to come here. I really see no negative in this deal what so ever.
Agree and what exactly did anyone expect to get for Hunter? His contract in terms of value to return is not much better, the fact that Rolston can play on the PP as well as the PK makes this better than a lateral move.

TennesseeJedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:45 PM
rikker

there is always a possibility that the Isles trade Rolston at the deadline. he definitely has more trade value than Hunter.

another free pick... why not?

rikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:47 PM
LAIslanderFan

I think this move makes sense for both teams. The Islanders needed to move Hunter and there were very few options out there in a trade. I know some Islander fans were hoping the Kings would trade Doughty for Hunter, or we'd get a shot at another top 4 defensemen for him, but that just wasn't going to happen.

I don't know what else the Islanders could have done to move him. For all of the critics out there, I'd love to hear what you would have done to move Hunter.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

http://twitter.com/#!/Ledger_NJDevil...34786558382080

Quote:
@Ledger_NJDevils Rich Chere
Brian Rolston: it's been a rough ride in Jersey. I'm actually happy to go to a place that wants me"

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:52 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 160
Quote:
Haha! That is great, it makes me glad we traded for him. It's also good to see the devils have lit a fire under his ass. (No pun intended)

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
I'm fine with this deal like most people are.. We all know Hunter would have gotten hurt at some point this season. Like it has been suggested in a couple posts this might be the precursor to Comeau being dealt for a D-man.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:54 PM
ziggy7716

BTW on a unrelated note, now that Hunter is gone, DP is the only remaining Islander from the Milbury era

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:54 PM
BillD

I always liked Trent Hunter but injuries and the fact that Sterling tried to make him into a Mark Parrish type forward killed his offensive production.

Also have always liked Rolston. He is a dedicated professional and a big body (about equal to Hunts) and he does have a lethal but not always accurate shot from the point.
Rolston can play on both special teams, but he has lost about 1 1/2 steps. Used to be a fast skater, is now only average, but still faster than Hunts by a lot.

I wish Hunts well in the Swamplands, he was the longest serving Islander skater left (2002)

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:55 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
It's an "eh" deal. Upgrades the team slightly. If Rolston turns out to suck-it no biggy. If he does well, we have him for the one year.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Eric Sachs

Good luck Brian!

I think he'll do well for you guys honestly. He's not as bad as his numbers look. He's a top six player that we have been forced to put into a checking role for the last couple of years. Second half of last season was the first time he really got good minutes playing with Elias and Zubrus and he was nearly a point per game player during that stretch.

He still has a hell of a shot too. get him space on the point and he'll start unleashing bombs.

Eric Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:59 PM
BillD

I do not think that Comeau or bailey will be shipped out unless we get excellent quality in return. Garth is still committed to building with young players. Comeau is still young and could be on the verge of being a near 30 or more goal scorer. Only a very unfreindly arbitration award or negotiated salary will force Snow to move him, and that will not get us any value when we have to do it under duress. Bailey still is a 21 year old and I doubt Garth gives up on him this soon.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 02:03 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
BTW on a unrelated note, now that Hunter is gone, DP is the only remaining Islander from the Milbury era
Nielsen and Comeau tend to disagree with that.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 02:06 PM
Ziggy16

and colliton if you count him as well

Ziggy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
Quote:
Not really.

I'm not a huge fan of the deal (not really against it either) but this makes me feel better. Hunter is damaged goods and I don't want him period, much less for two years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilzdontrule27 View Post
Good luck Brian!

I think he'll do well for you guys honestly. He's not as bad as his numbers look. He's a top six player that we have been forced to put into a checking role for the last couple of years. Second half of last season was the first time he really got good minutes playing with Elias and Zubrus and he was nearly a point per game player during that stretch.

He still has a hell of a shot too. get him space on the point and he'll start unleashing bombs.
He should be a good asset opposite Streit on the PP.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 02:08 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Bailey is an aged veteran? The kid is still 21 and still has the potential to break out. I don't see a reason to move unless he is involved in a deal to bring in a true impact player - probably not going to happen though.
Aged vets being Reasoner and Rolston....I think you misread my post. Bailey only goes if we bring in a young(ish) impact defenseman. Then we have Rolston and Reasoner as bait at the deadline IF a suitable and READY replacement is ready for promotion.

OlTimeHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Renbarg

I like it more, the more I think about it. Rolston is gone after this year. While Hunter would have been taking up space next year as well.

Not bad

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Take care of Rolston for us? I may have wanted him gone, but that's only for cap reasons. I still love the guy.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 02:12 PM
bigdom1012

im happy with this move, and must say i like were this team is goin, add a top 4 dman and keep nabakov and we have a playoff team, would have loved to see parise come but dreaming is fun too haha

as far as the devils i truly have no issues with them, i really respect them and have always said incase the isles are gone forever they would be the team i cheer for. i mean i respect the rags but cant be a fan and i hate philly n pitt so the devils are the obvious

on a funny note on the last couple of ea sports nhl games i always ended up trading hunter to the devils haha

this year i believe i sent hunter and okposo n a 1st rd pick for parise and volchenkov
i always ended up trading dp there to...please i hope that wish comes true!!

bigdom1012 is offline   Reply With Quote