Old
08-04-2011, 12:09 AM
LadyJet26
WHITEOUT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSalamon View Post
Yup... pretty much sums it up.

Time to go out and get an IPhone maybe!? lol I've been toying with the idea of an IPhone but so far I haven't bothered with it.
They are wellllllllll worth it. Had mine for a couple of months and absolutely love it.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 09:38 AM
SCP Guy

I hope they unlock the wifi during games.....I think as it stands now only mts highspeed internet customers can get on with their userid and passwords....I worry that with so many people in one place 3G will suck...it's pretty hit and miss at bomber games sometimes....But I have a feeling it is an MTS thing so no soup for you

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 09:24 AM
AndersUlfBobby
Sec 6A Row 29 Seat 1

vCash: 500
Interesting fact about the MTS Centre. There are 714 seats in the 12th row of all the 300 level sections. This makes up roughly 4.6% of all seats in the MTS Centre.

If the MTS Centre had been constructed so that the 300 level had 14 rows instead of 12 rows, seating capacity would be roughly 16,400. If 15 rows, 17,150 and 16 rows, just under 18,000.

I've always felt that the MTS Centre had been built on too small a particle of land. If the footprint had been another 5-8 feet on either side, these additional rows could have easily been added to the upper bowl.

Last edited by AndersUlfBobby: 08-07-2011 at 09:32 AM.
AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 11:13 AM
BrianL*

You don't even need a bigger footprint, just use a cantilever design to accommodate the added width of the upper section. No matter how many experts rationalize this as being "just the right size for this market", I will always believe we missed an opportunity here. There is no doubt now that we would pack an 18,000 seat arena, and more fans would be getting an opportunity to see the games.

BrianL* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Mungman
It's you not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
You don't even need a bigger footprint, just use a cantilever design to accommodate the added width of the upper section. No matter how many experts rationalize this as being "just the right size for this market", I will always believe we missed an opportunity here. There is no doubt now that we would pack an 18,000 seat arena, and more fans would be getting an opportunity to see the games.
Anytime you cantilever a structure (esp. one with large loads) the costs go through the roof. In this case the cant would need to transfer the whole load of the roof back to the main structure since the roof clearspans the bowl, so as has been stated over and over again your mosst expensive to construct seats are the ones that generate the least amount of revenue.

I doubt they could come up with any way to crunch the numbers and have it make sense. OT but for the arena in QC they don't have to build the same sort of business case to go ahead since they are using 100% government funded, just wave the political wand and the arena can happen. TNSE put in the lionshare of the funding for MTSC so they had to justify that they could generate profit from these seats, they obviously couldn't since I remember the cantilever being removed on the west side due to the increased cost of this item.

Mungman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 12:06 AM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

word is that they will be hanging a real military jet from the rafters....it is being stripped down now but likely wont be ready for the first game.

peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 12:59 AM
gibber1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
word is that they will be hanging a real military jet from the rafters....it is being stripped down now but likely wont be ready for the first game.
That would be awesome!!!

gibber1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 01:08 AM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5239
Quote:
They should stick a portrait of the Queen flying in the cockpit.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 02:08 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Interesting idea. Seems like a fun unique thing for the Jets.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 06:31 AM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Quote:
personally.... I think this is dumb idea.

there is already enough flack being given out that it is a "pro military" logo.

Imagine the protests about a F-18 shell hanging in the MTSC....
oi vay

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 06:34 AM
PensFan6687

They can always steal the one at the St. Vital Silver City Theatre.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 10:45 AM
Hank Chinaski

Let's keep things on topic. No need to rehash this military debate again.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

vCash: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersUlfBobby View Post
Interesting fact about the MTS Centre. There are 714 seats in the 12th row of all the 300 level sections. This makes up roughly 4.6% of all seats in the MTS Centre.

If the MTS Centre had been constructed so that the 300 level had 14 rows instead of 12 rows, seating capacity would be roughly 16,400. If 15 rows, 17,150 and 16 rows, just under 18,000.

I've always felt that the MTS Centre had been built on too small a particle of land. If the footprint had been another 5-8 feet on either side, these additional rows could have easily been added to the upper bowl.
The Phone Booth was NOT built with the NHL in mind. If Chipman had his way it was only going to be 10,000 seats. It got bigger because Glenn Murray did not want Eaton's to sit empty for 20 years and wanted it put there. In the negotiations it got as big as possible in the space available. TNSE also got a guarantee that there would be no competitive arena funded with public funds for a period of time. (20 years?)

Of course, an owner will blow the horn of his own facility. That is only natural. Shenkarow did the same when the Winnipeg Arena was expanded. (For about 2 or 3 years.)

I do not expect any expansion of the Phone Booth. Not because it is "the perfect size" but because the cost of expansion would not be covered by the revenue from the cheap seats created.

IMO, a "prefect size" arena for us would have about 2 more rows in the 100 level and 8 more rows in the 200 level. And all with more room and cupholders for every seat. While I have been a Moose fan for many years and have enjoyed the Phone Booth on probably 100 occasions by now, I have to admit that it is a bare bones facility and in time will prevent the Jets from charging premium prices. I expect to hear rumblings about a new arena by 2020.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 12:36 PM
Moe Mantha

I'm hoping to take a smaill radio to listen to 1290 at the games. Is the radio reception any good in there?

As for hotels, let's just warn everyone right now that the St. Regis hotel should be avoided at all costs.

Moe Mantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 01:30 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
I have to admit that it is a bare bones facility and in time will prevent the Jets from charging premium prices. I expect to hear rumblings about a new arena by 2020.
I cannot disagree with you more. As a season ticket holder for years I LOVE the MTSC. I don't know what is "bare bones" about it. From a consumer stand point I can't think of anything that I've felt I needed and couldnt get at the arena. From everything being reported the arena is also very well equipt for the players. The MTSC is an NHL arena and is IMO perfect for Winnipeg.
I don't see a single reason to build a new arena for a long time.

Old
09-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Jet
More Finnz pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
I cannot disagree with you more. As a season ticket holder for years I LOVE the MTSC. I don't know what is "bare bones" about it. From a consumer stand point I can't think of anything that I've felt I needed and couldnt get at the arena. From everything being reported the arena is also very well equipt for the players. The MTSC is an NHL arena and is IMO perfect for Winnipeg.
I don't see a single reason to build a new arena for a long time.
The fit and finish is inadequate for the NHL IMO. The seats are a little crammed. When you go to facilities in the States you can see why people say MTSC is bare bones. I know they are doing some work, if they can improve the flooring and the decor of the building it will go a long way in improving it's stature as an NHL rink.

09-01-2011, 01:52 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
The fit and finish is inadequate for the NHL IMO. The seats are a little crammed. When you go to facilities in the States you can see why people say MTSC is bare bones. I know they are doing some work, if they can improve the flooring and the decor of the building it will go a long way in improving it's stature as an NHL rink.
We'll have to agree to disagree.
From my experience in other NHL rinks (4+ in the states) the MTSC is an NHL rink. I do admit the seats are a bit tight, but hardly something to build a new rink over. What I would say is that the MTSC lack the wow factor of other arenas. At some arenas being there is a treat unto it self. This is not the case with the MTSC, so if that is what people are refering to I agree. But from a functional stand point I don't see anything really lacking.

Old
09-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Jet
More Finnz pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree.
From my experience in other NHL rinks (4+ in the states) the MTSC is an NHL rink. I do admit the seats are a bit tight, but hardly something to build a new rink over. What I would say is that the MTSC lack the wow factor of other arenas. At some arenas being there is a treat unto it self. This is not the case with the MTSC, so if that is what people are refering to I agree. But from a functional stand point I don't see anything really lacking.
I don't believe we are disagreeing at all. I just think it's semantics. The MTSC is perfect for Winnipeg in the NHL, it just needs to be purdied up a bit.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 02:07 PM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Quote:
I don't believe we are disagreeing at all. I just think it's semantics. The MTSC is perfect for Winnipeg in the NHL, it just needs to be purdied up a bit.
I agree the MTSC is pretty good for this market.
I wouldnt have minded it being a bit bigger just to make th eseats more comfortable.

If you look around the NHL or even pro sports in general.... most facilities are too big for their respective markets and it is brutal too see.

15K arena full is better then a 18K arena with 15K in it.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 02:12 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Agreed! I thought you were saying that due to the lack of wow factor a new arena should be commisoned in 9 years, evidently not

Old
09-01-2011, 04:34 PM
BrianL*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
15K arena full is better then a 18K arena with 15K in it.
An 18K arena here would be full. Might have taken a minute longer for the Driveto16.com web site to hit their limit.

BrianL* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Primetimey*

vCash: 160
MTS Center is definitely a cramped bare bones arena. The concourses are terrible in terms of size, furnishings, and finish. The seats are small and cramped (especially the first eleven rows or whatever it is for Olympic sized iced).

Example of a real concourse:

Just my thoughts.

Primetimey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 05:46 PM
OthmarAmmann
Omnishambles

I, personally, preferred the troughs in the men's room at the barn.

OthmarAmmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Trigger15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
They should stick a portrait of the Queen flying in the cockpit.
Bahahahaha!! Funniest thing I've read on here! Laughed out load for real

Trigger15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 12:06 AM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger15 View Post
Bahahahaha!! Funniest thing I've read on here! Laughed out load for real
Always glad to get some laughs. It's jets 2.0 baby! The Queen's livin' it up!

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote