HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Training Camp Invites (Mod: NHL Vets)

Old
07-28-2011, 10:32 PM
KzooShark

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Clowe, not really. Pavs, maybe. Couture, maybe a little more.

when Patty scores a goal, i think about giving him the "C" back. that doesnt happen with anyone else on the team.
Well, yeesh. That's not hard. Who else on the roster would you be giving a "C" back to?

KzooShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:13 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
i see what you did there.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:14 PM
Lareves
Year of the Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by KzooShark View Post
Well, yeesh. That's not hard. Who else on the roster would you be giving a "C" back to?
Rob Blake?!?! I have a hunch that he'd take it regardless of whether he is retired or not.

Lareves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:15 PM
one2gamble

I might actually shed a tear if I saw Nolan in teal again.

That said, limited minutes for sure.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 12:22 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

When Nolan was shipped out in 2003, the Sharks were out of the playoffs, and he was coming off a string of injuries.

It could be the organization/Lombardi decided better to get someone healthy than would play his heart out injured?

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 02:34 AM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

I don't care for having Nolan back. In the bigger picture of things, I believe we didn't sign him up last year because we didn't need him to polarize the locker room in Thornton's first year as captain here.

Nolan very well could have said the wrong things. Like being a leader, etc. When its likely that they don't want that from a vet. They probably want a vet who wants to follow the leadership we have now and I just don't see him looking to patty for leadership.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 02:35 AM
OrrNumber4

Considering the acerbic nature of Nolan's contract negotiations, plus the fact that management couldn't have been happy that as soon as he got his contract, his production tanked, it isn't surprising that there are some old grudges. Nolan did have a sandpapery personality...

On the flip side, San Jose gave Jeff Friesen a chance. Sandis Ozolnish left on bad terms and he got a contract....

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 08:11 AM
Ninja Hertl
formerly sharkohol

I chatted with one of the guys working at the Brit downtown during the playoffs. He has worked there for a long while and Nolan would come in pretty often (as most of you know, he owns it). I asked him about the whole bringing Nolan back and possible feud with the execs/management and he pretty much confirmed that there was definitely something going on. He wouldn't give me any details though.

Ninja Hertl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 09:03 AM
WedgeAntilles*

I'd have been ok with Nolan coming back as a 3rd liner a few year's ago when he was still a decent player, but a few years ago he wasn't ready to be a 3rd liner. He still thought he was a top 6 player.

Now he is ready to be a bottom 6 player, but he's simply not good enough. The guy can't skate any more. If you've seen any of the footage from the Swiss league, it's painful to watch.

Much like Cheechoo, he still has hands and hockey sense, so he can get points against lesser competition, but it's clear that the speed of the NHL game would eat him up.

The fact that no one has offered either player an NHL contract is pretty much proof of that...

WedgeAntilles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 10:43 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
Considering the acerbic nature of Nolan's contract negotiations, plus the fact that management couldn't have been happy that as soon as he got his contract, his production tanked, it isn't surprising that there are some old grudges. Nolan did have a sandpapery personality...
And with a couple of kids he has mellowed.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 12:33 PM

The good ole days... When you could go to The Brit off of 85 and Almaden, sit at the bar and have beers with Owen Nolan as he drooled over the bar maid (I believe his future wife lol). It was like he was a regular at the bar and he had fun with most of the patrons. Hell, half the people or more had no idea he was the captain of the Sharks. Good times.

Can you imagine the noise in The Tank as #11 got introduced opening night??? It would be EDM 5 on 3 loud.

209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 01:24 PM
WedgeAntilles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209 View Post

Can you imagine the noise in The Tank as #11 got introduced opening night??? It would be EDM 5 on 3 loud.
You know the thing I remember most about the 5 on 2 1/2? Edmonton scored immediately after the PP ended...

WedgeAntilles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgeAntilles View Post
You know the thing I remember most about the 5 on 2 1/2? Edmonton scored immediately after the PP ended...
Thanks for that downer Sam.

209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Thepainter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgeAntilles View Post
You know what I remember about that goal? It meant nothing and the Sharks won the game.

<insert you 'Oilers won the series' comment here>

Thepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 07:13 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 50
I've always had the sense that Patty and Owen didn't get along particularly well.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 08:16 PM
SJSharks2010

I wouldn't mind inviting Bernier to camp, maybe see if he can get his fat ass in shape. If not there's no obligation to sign him.

Nolan, as much as I'd like him back for nostalgia reasons, is too slow for the NHL. There's a good reason nobody signed him last year, he's way too slow. Hell Bernier is probably a way better skater at this point.

SJSharks2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 09:54 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer View Post
I've always had the sense that Patty and Owen didn't get along particularly well.
Nolan didn't get along with a lot of people. That's just the consequence of having the personality he had. It can be a spark plug and it can divide a room. It mostly depends on the results. lol

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Kitten Mittons

I am sure his personality would be detrimental to Thornton/Marleau/Vlasic/Burns/Havlat, while turning Clowe/Murray/Boyle and to some extent Pavelski/Couture/Demers into beasts (disregarding bottom 6). Thornton is too old and arrogant now to be "pushed" like it was done by Keenan.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 08:12 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
I am sure his personality would be detrimental to Thornton/Marleau/Vlasic/Burns/Havlat, while turning Clowe/Murray/Boyle and to some extent Pavelski/Couture/Demers into beasts (disregarding bottom 6). Thornton is too old and arrogant now to be "pushed" like it was done by Keenan.
I think JT is the perfect captain for Patty, and Boyle is the perfect A. That way, Dan can yell at Patty but at the end of the day Joe knows when to step in an just let Patty do his thing.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 08:31 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharks2010 View Post
I wouldn't mind inviting Bernier to camp, maybe see if he can get his fat ass in shape. If not there's no obligation to sign him.

Nolan, as much as I'd like him back for nostalgia reasons, is too slow for the NHL. There's a good reason nobody signed him last year, he's way too slow. Hell Bernier is probably a way better skater at this point.
exactly. look at him, see if he fits, if he doesnt, he gets cut and we lose nothing at all

CommanderShepard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 09:37 PM
SactoShark
💤

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloweForbidzYou View Post
Ill be honest. Hasnt Clowe ALREADY done that? Clowes a much better leader then patty.

Hell, hasnt Pavs done that as well?

And possibley Couture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Clowe, not really. Pavs, maybe. Couture, maybe a little more.

when Patty scores a goal, i think about giving him the "C" back. that doesnt happen with anyone else on the team.
Clowe has asserted himself in the same position of leadership as Marleau. You can argue opinions of whom you perceive as qualified, but as it stands, Clowe and Marleau share an "A" home / road.

Personally I think Clowe is a hot head, so I think it's somewhat surprising. But this team has always needed more fire in the belly, so maybe it's the right call?

Edit: Sorry missed that Nolan would potentially kick Patty off the "A" assignment. No. He wouldn't. There's really nothing wrong with the current configuration.

SactoShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:24 AM
OILFAN #81

I am a diehard Oiler fan and I live here in San Jose.

I think you guys should give an invite to Scott Hannan. He can still play defense and I think would be a good fit for the Sharks. Up front, a guy like Sergei Samsonov can still produce on a 3rd line + PP situation.

OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:46 AM
Tealblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
I am a diehard Oiler fan and I live here in San Jose.

I think you guys should give an invite to Scott Hannan. He can still play defense and I think would be a good fit for the Sharks. Up front, a guy like Sergei Samsonov can still produce on a 3rd line + PP situation.
No thanks. We've got better defensive defensemen in vlasic/murray(not saying they're great, but that he's mediocre).

He'd beat them back in the day but his upside is long gone...Gone with the old "grab and hold" style he used to be able to play. Our defense is fine, he wouldn't be an upgrade to anyone in the top 4 and I'd rather have a more physical vandermeer on the bottom pair.

I wouldn't mind samsonov on the 3rd if he came cheaply.

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:51 AM
sub_zero94

Richard Park

Dougie would give Modano a chance before he brought back Buster...sad

sub_zero94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 03:01 AM
sweHockeypunk21

I'd like to invite Drury, and Dumont. They could sign on the cheap, and would add depth. Drury could be a good 4rth line center that could play 3rd line as well. Dumont played bad last year, but could prove to be a steal.

sweHockeypunk21 is offline   Reply With Quote