HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Shea Weber for an elite scorer

Old
07-29-2011, 11:58 AM
Auger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeersHockey View Post
If by "LONG TERM assets" you mean young players, then yes, they got those. Voracek is signed for one year; Simmonds for two. Schenn hasn't proven that he can play in the league yet (which is why the Kings traded him for a sure thing). Sure, Weber is two years away from UFA, but he is also regarded as a top Dman in the league, and is only 25. So he is going to make a boat-load of $$ when he goes UFA - treat him right, pay him his $$ and you could have a multi-Norris winner for years to come.

Kesler is good, and a good value, but if you wouldn't trade him for a legit chance at a Lidstrom, Chara, Leetch or Bourque (before you say it, I know Chara has only won one Norris) then you are either supremely overvaluing Kesler, just being a homer, or both.
That's not very good logic, that's like a team trading everything for Crosby. Yes he's a good player, but why rip the team apart, one player can't win everything (and yes Crosby isn't good enough to win anything by himself). Giving away Kesler for Weber would cripple our offense, and is a lateral move at BEST for our team, a useless trade.

Auger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 12:28 PM
Liferleafer
Feed the Chicken!!

[QUOTE=Ernie;35474175]It's funny that Leafs fans think Phaneuf would return anything of value.

or Kessel, for that matter. Talk about trying to polish a turd. Kessel might not have negative value like Phaneuf, but he certainly wouldn't bring back an impact player.[/QUOTE]

Right...cause 23yr old players with 3 30+ goal seasons while playing with the likes of Bozak and Boyce grow on trees. It's ok to bash the Leafs, everyone does, but that statement makes you sound pretty dumb.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 12:28 PM
Vajakki

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
I actually think the Pronger trade is probably a good comparison. Pronger landed two young very high potential guys (just because they didn't reach that potential doesn't mean it wasn't a big haul when the trade was made) and 2 picks.

Burns landed a young sniper in Setoguchi, probably San Jose's top prospect, and a pick. But Weber>>Burns.

And as good as Carter/Richards are, they're not Weber. Very very rarely do players like Shea Weber come available.

He's not going for junk.
Agreed. In Richards' and Carter's case, they both had long term deals already signed. That's one thing Weber doesn't have and that will have an impact on the trade, but obviously Weber is still more valuable than those two guys so the return should be better. Pronger also had a contract when Oilers traded him.

Burns was in a somewhat similar situation contract wise (only difference is Burns will play next season for peanuts, where as Weber will be 6mil+), but Weber has more value as a player for sure.

Was just trying to point out that it's much more likely Weber will be dealt for a package rather than a star player. Proposals like Weber for Kesler/Malkin/Bäckström are pretty far fetched in my mind. I highly doubt any GM will trade their long term signed star player (equivalent or close to Weber) just because other team is in a position where they have no other option.

Also keep in mind Nashville would need salary back to reach the floor, pretty much the same amount they would require to sign Weber. So it can't just be ELC players, prospects and picks.

Edit: from Canucks POV, the package of Hodgson, Ballard, Raymond and 1st rounder would be close to maxium what I would offer for Weber. That would be 1-2 million more than what Weber will make, so Nashville could throw a salary dump there too if the floor is so precious for them.

Last edited by Vajakki: 07-29-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Vajakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 12:45 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

The "floor" isn't precious. Their payroll was 52 million last season, which is 4 million higher than the current floor. The budget is rumored to be about 56 million this season, so money isn't really the issue.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 12:49 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
The "floor" isn't precious. Their payroll was 52 million last season, which is 4 million higher than the current floor. The budget is rumored to be about 56 million this season, so money isn't really the issue.
Does that figure for last year include both Lombardi and Fisher?

07-29-2011, 12:52 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Does that figure for last year include both Lombardi and Fisher?
Lombardi, but not Fisher, since his prorated contract came out to be around 1 million after being acquired.

It shouldn't be a shock...since the lockout, Nashville has only had a "floor" team once, and it was the year after the Leipold\Balsillie fiasco, in which guys that Poile had intended to keep (Hartnell and Vokoun) were force-traded.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 01:52 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan7545 View Post
Weber for Parise ???
I would say yes as long as we know we are locking up both Parise and Suter long term.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 02:15 PM
BeersHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auger View Post
That's not very good logic, that's like a team trading everything for Crosby. Yes he's a good player, but why rip the team apart, one player can't win everything (and yes Crosby isn't good enough to win anything by himself). Giving away Kesler for Weber would cripple our offense, and is a lateral move at BEST for our team, a useless trade.
Explain how my logic is flawed. A lateral move at best? Check out the teams that have won multiple Cups in the past 15 years - all anchored by a future HOF Dman - something that VAN currently lacks. Not making bold assertion that Weber is a lock for the HOF, but the high-end potential is there, and worth a player like Kesler. I bet if you asked Ken Holland if he would trade Datsyuk or Zetterburg to have Nick Lidstrom be 25 again, he would do it in a heartbeat.

BeersHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 02:26 PM
gotmonte

Gaborik and kreider for weber

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 02:56 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
again i propose:

Parise and Urbom

for

Weber and Lindback

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 03:00 PM
gotmonte

Why complicate the deal?

Parise straight up for Weber. If not I'd say Lou will stand pat unless he has inside information that Parise doesn't Want to stay a Devil

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Whites Eye View Post
again i propose:

Parise and Urbom

for

Weber and Lindback
How would you compare Urbom to Corrente?

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 03:06 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
How would you compare Urbom to Corrente?

much better prospect, IMO.

i think Corrente isnt going to be much. we have younger guys (like Urbom) who essentially have passed him on the depth chart.

Old
07-29-2011, 03:12 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
much better prospect, IMO.

i think Corrente isnt going to be much. we have younger guys (like Urbom) who essentially have passed him on the depth chart.
And Adam Henrique?

I assume that Palmeri can not be exchanged with Urbom? Maybe if we added a mid pick?

(I ask out of sheer innocence)

Old
07-29-2011, 03:21 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

I am not Palmieri's biggest fan, but we are thin at RW depth in the organization. I would probably swap him in for Urbom if that was a dealbreaker to get Weber, though

Henrique will likely make the big club this year. I have a feeling he may be play winger this year. to me, he is the third line center of the future.

Old
07-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Accelleratii

Jagr for 3.3!!! I know you want it!

Accelleratii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Caballo Blanco
2014 Conn Smythe

Lucic+Seidenberg+Kelly for Weber+Tootoo

Caballo Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 03:34 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
I am not Palmieri's biggest fan, but we are thin at RW depth in the organization. I would probably swap him in for Urbom if that was a dealbreaker to get Weber, though

Henrique will likely make the big club this year. I have a feeling he may be play winger this year. to me, he is the third line center of the future.
We are thin at offensive depth in general

That`s why someone like Palmeri (or Tedenby, but that`s a no from you) is more appealing than Urbom (because we are good at drafting D-men). Then again we have Colin Wilson... It`s a hard thing to judge.

But a shutdown D man is always a good thing (since Shea is basically our only pure shutdown guy).

Thanks for the info though!

Old
07-29-2011, 04:52 PM
Reid Boucher

If they both sign extensions, Weber for Parise is a fair trade.

Last edited by Reid Boucher: 07-29-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Reid Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 05:20 PM
AmazingNuck

^^ If they both signed extensions then neither player/team would be in this situation.

Legwand + Weber (4.5m + RFA) for Kesler + Ballard (9.2m) + (if necessary)

Legwand replaces Kesler as the second line centre.. not as well but a much better option than anything else we got. 6'2, 200+ centre between Higgins/Sturm and Samuelsson? It's a decent second line.. not ground breaking or anything but it should be enough.

By the end of the year:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Legwand - Samuelsson
Raymond - Malhotra - Hansen
Sturm - Lapierre - Hodgson/Bitz/Oreskovich

Edler-Weber
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Alberts-Salo

If we [Canucks fans] can all agree that Hamhuis-Bieksa were playing excellently in the shut down role and were a legitimate top pairing, adding the Norris runner up would just make that defense much more awesome. We would be able to have Edler-Weber/Hamhuis-Bieksa on for about 52 minutes of the game. Weber's the big RHD that we need.

Sedin-Sedin-Samuelsson
Edler-Weber

Still a very good power play. Adding Legwand would make the second unit that much better. If there were any team to trade Weber for Kesler, it'd be Nashville, especially after seeing him torch the team in the playoffs.

PS: Canucks would have a guy who would actually be able to defend the Sedins while being on the ice with them competently at the same time. Also he is a BC boy.

AmazingNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 05:32 PM
Leave Spezza Alone
moral victories

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by juntao55 View Post
Ott - Spezza+
@ the plus.

Leave Spezza Alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 05:49 PM
apice3*

Weber for Parise sounds amazing right now

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Weber for Parise sounds amazing right now
Panicked much?

I feel like I`m watching a car crash in slow motion.

Old
07-29-2011, 06:19 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Landeskog View Post
@ the plus.
You feel you won't have to add to Spezza to get Weber?

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Talentless Practise*

Sharp+ 2 1sts. My first and final offer.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote