HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Phillies Thread...Part Duex

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2003, 04:11 PM
Nikkowar

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags1288
He gave up nothing and he took a chance, the only drawback to the deal was the money, which was a fairly big drawback. Also, I don't understand why the Phillies didn't wait till after they would have offered Millwood arbitration, thus getting 1st round draft picks when he signs elsewhere. I'm still holding out hope that the Phillies will deal for Vazquez, but we'll see what happens.
I don't know if they will get Vazzy. Maybe we can get Punto back(but we won't)

Old
12-03-2003, 04:42 PM
blah

The budget is 80 mil I don't think they're close to over it yet. If Millwood accepts their offer they'll be on the hook for like 70 mil not including arbitration eligible players and the backup catcher and bullpen help they need.

If they get stuck with Millwood I could seem them with Wagner, Cormier, Plesac, Junge, Madson, and a decent FA pickup for the bullpen.

Old
12-03-2003, 05:05 PM
Gagne2433

Send a message via AIM to Gagne2433
Solid deal for the Phillies. It hurts to see Silva go. I, for one, believe he has lots of potential in his arm and that he can be a solid reliever in this league, but adding Milton is real good for this team.

Eric Milton is a solid lefty and you can never have too many solid lefties. Is he a top guy? No, but when he is on, he is easily a borderline #1 guy when at heart, he is a legit #2. Now, the Phillies truly need to compliment adding Milton by adding either Milwood or Colon to the top of the rotation.

I like Madson, but if Milton/Wolf is the #1 guy, then this team is in trouble because Milton and Wolf are very good #2, but not ready to anchor a staff. I think Wolf may be one year away from that. A rotation of Colon/Wolf/Padilla/Milton/Myers is just solid with righties and lefties.

Let's hope we can land Colon. The Yankees need to resign Pettitte because the 'Stros have no interest in Colon.

Old
12-03-2003, 06:46 PM
blah

Millwood turned down the Phillies offer.

Old
12-03-2003, 08:32 PM
Whinks

Send a message via AIM to Whinks
Instead of signing another starter, I think we should give Floyd or Hamels the 5th spot since theyre both just about ready.

Old
12-04-2003, 04:02 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
Millwood turned down the Phillies offer.
A 3 year, $30 million offer with an option for the 4th year (not sure how the option would work, though). However, the Phils could offer him arbitration still, and this was mentioned in the Inquirer's article today. I'd be leery of this, because it doesn't seem like Millwood's getting lots of offers and so he may be tempted to jump at this. Personally, I think Boras is living in fantasy-land if he thinks he can get Chan Ho Park numbers for Millwood, not in this day and age. The long talked about "market correction" is here in force. I mean, does this guy seriously think he can get more money for Millwood then for Curt Schilling (who's deal works out to, I believe, just over $12 million per)?

On another note, I love the deal for Milton. Depending on the player to be named later, this is a steal for the Phillies. Milton's a good pitcher, solid #2, and a lefty to boot, all of which help solidify an already good rotation. And they got him for very little cost. Great deal for the Phils. Now, time to get a little depth for the bench and a shrink for Pat Burrell (so he gets back to hitting the way he should be), and the Phils are stacked for next year.

Old
12-04-2003, 06:19 AM
stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzapieZeppelin18
A bit of useless news,but Todd Helton is avaliable.
I see your smiley, and we all know the Phils already have plenty invested at the first base position. However, just to open up the discussion for discussion's sake, did you know...

- Helton is owed $141.5M through 2011:

2004: $11.6M
2005: $12.6M
2006: $16.6M
2007: $16.6M
2008: $16.6M
2009: $16.6M
2010: $16.6M
2011: $19.1M
2012: Team option $23M or $4.6M buyout

He's 30 years old, which means you can expect his power numbers to steadily decline, and the league is sick with good-hitting first basemen. Additionally, his numbers drop quite a bit when adjusted for Coors Field. Don't get me wrong, he's a darn good player, but if I were GM of a major league club I would never take that contract less I could ship one of near-equal value the other way. Come to think of it, I wouldn't take his contract were I the GM of a Little League team, either. We'd need cashola for Swedish Fish and the like.

I like the Milton trade. I wouldn't count on Milwood signing unless they can get him for the short-term. A long-term contract with him has to be a no-no. It's all about payroll flexibility. As mentioned, Boras is his agent, so I wouldn't expect him to take a discount to come back and if you do, be sure to bring enough cash for the bridge, too. Milton had a push-off (left) leg injury early last year that required surgery. It's not as though he had arm trouble. It's a pretty decent, second-tier pickup. He's not Schilling or Colon, but he's a good addition to a good young staff.

I think that Wade might be done with big spending this year. He's already added Wagner.

Old
12-04-2003, 08:18 AM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whinks
Instead of signing another starter, I think we should give Floyd or Hamels the 5th spot since theyre both just about ready.
No they're not. 2005 at the earliest. September if one pitches insanely good and 2 of the Phils top 4 get injured.

Old
12-04-2003, 01:00 PM
Nikkowar

Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
Vazquez is gone too.

Old
12-04-2003, 01:00 PM
Whinks

Quote:
No they're not. 2005 at the earliest. September if one pitches insanely good and 2 of the Phils top 4 get injured.
Wade said Floyd was ready.

Old
12-04-2003, 02:51 PM
blah

Quote:
Wade said Floyd was ready.
Pitchers usually don't jump from single A to the Majors.

Old
12-04-2003, 05:02 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
yeah, Floyd and Hamels are at least 2 years away.

Old
12-04-2003, 06:00 PM
Whinks

Quote:
Pitchers usually don't jump from single A to the Majors.
Nope, but some jump from AA(where Floyd finished the season) to the majors.

Old
12-04-2003, 08:19 PM
blah

They won't be rushed. Here's a good reason why you don't rush pitchers http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...e?statsId=7106. I'm pretty sure Floyd was in Clearwater for the entire season. Where'd you get your info from?

Old
12-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Gagne2433

Send a message via AIM to Gagne2433
Just remember. This deal has more than one great point about it. Milton is on a one year deal. Next year's free agent market, as of right now, is full of great pitchers. A few #1's will be out there if my memory serves me correct.

Ridding Millwood's salary this year and Milton's next year, that opens up a spot to bring up Gavin Floyd as well as sign a top tier free agent.

Hamels is 2 solid years away. Floyd, on the other hand, may be a September call up this year. He'll be ready for full time work next spring training.

However, if a pitcher goes down with an injury, he maybe the first guy they call upon.

Old
12-05-2003, 12:59 PM
FlyersGuy69

Gavin Floyd is more than a year away, he went 7-8 with a era over 3 for the Clearwater Phillies (A). they are not eye popping numbers for a pitcher with the kind of stuff he has.

also, when Hamels got promoted to Clearwater, he went 0-2 in 5 games compared to 6-1 and a .84 era. with Lakewood. Hamels struggled just moving up 1 level of A ball so the majors are out of the question for a while yet.

they are both a ways off.

Old
12-05-2003, 01:24 PM
blah

They've pretty much handcuffed themselves w/ these kids. It'd be a PR nightmare if the Phillies do nothing in the coming seasons and neither one develops. They'll be treated like babies from here on out. Just about every Phillies fan knows about Hamels-Floyd. So if say Schilling brings a WS to Boston people will say they should've dealt one of them for him.

Next years FA crop should be good. Wood could possibly be out there I think.

Old
12-05-2003, 01:52 PM
FlyersGuy69

Quote:
They've pretty much handcuffed themselves w/ these kids. It'd be a PR nightmare if the Phillies do nothing in the coming seasons and neither one develops. They'll be treated like babies from here on out. Just about every Phillies fan knows about Hamels-Floyd. So if say Schilling brings a WS to Boston people will say they should've dealt one of them for him.

Next years FA crop should be good. Wood could possibly be out there I think.
hindsight is always 20/20 my friend. they could also turn into our Mulder and Zito too and people would be killing them for trading them away.

is there a list of possible UFA pitchers next year? you know that the Yanks are going to lock up Vausquez as well as Boston with Schilling.

Old
12-05-2003, 01:59 PM
blah

I know I want them to keep them both. Other Philly fans though...

Schilling is already locked up although I could see him making a swan song w/ the Phillies. I just see him pitching into his 40s like Ryan.

Vazquez I don't know he's been in a bubble called Montreal his entire career. He's supposedly a good character guy but if he falters Yankee fans will start calling him another Jeff Weaver and they might let him go. Unlikely but if Wood is out there I hope the Phils make a huge push for him.

Old
12-06-2003, 12:16 PM
FlyersGuy69

it's said that the Phillies will not offer Millwood arbitration (1yr 11.1mil) because he could sign the offer sheet. if Millwood doesn't sign the offer sheet than the Phillies would almost certainly be awarded a #1 draft pick from whoever signs him. however, if they don't offer him arbitration and he signs with another team then the Phillies get no compensation.

supposedly the Mets are working on a deal now to sign him long term. Boras, Millwoods agent say's that he has an offer on the table for (5yrs at 15mil a yr.). yeah ok...

anyway, I would offer him arbitration and take that chance that he could take and really F' up the Phillies plans this year. kinda like Maddux did last year with the Braves.

so, would you?

Old
12-06-2003, 02:16 PM
blah

If the Phillies had enough money to pay him for this season I might. I'm pretty sure he wants to sign long term so he's a safer bet to decline arbitration.

Old
12-07-2003, 08:49 PM
blah

They offered Millwood and Plesac arbitration.

Old
12-09-2003, 08:26 AM
Whinks

Phillies sign Tim Worrell to 2-year deal

The Phillies signed former San Francisco closer Tim Worrell. He had 38 saves for the Giants last season. He will probably be the set-up man. There will be a press conference at 4:00 PM to announce it. GREAT SIGNING!

Last edited by Whinks: 12-09-2003 at 08:29 AM.
Old
12-09-2003, 08:51 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Phillies sign Tim Worrell to 2-year deal

The Phillies signed former San Francisco closer Tim Worrell. He had 38 saves for the Giants last season. He will probably be the set-up man. There will be a press conference at 4:00 PM to announce it. GREAT SIGNING!
I am now in complete shock. These Phillies of the last two years are not the Phils I grew up with...they actually try to be competitive!!! This is just awesome. Worrell setting up for Wagner, after facing a rotation that has Wolf, Milton, Myers, Padilla, and possibly Millwood? Man, that's just deadly. And if Pat Burrell gets back to hitting the way he can, their lineup will be deadly too. It's about time they got serious like this. Keep up the work, Ed! And make sure you hang on to Mike Arbuckle! I rather enjoy being able to read about good pitching prospects for the Phils...

Old
12-09-2003, 10:34 AM
stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Love
I am now in complete shock. These Phillies of the last two years are not the Phils I grew up with...they actually try to be competitive!!! This is just awesome. Worrell setting up for Wagner, after facing a rotation that has Wolf, Milton, Myers, Padilla, and possibly Millwood? Man, that's just deadly.
After Wagner, can anybody guess who was the toughest left-handed reliever in baseball? That's right, Rheal Cormier. He was second to Wagner in WHIP and BAA last year.

They're going to be handful from the seventh inning on out.

Closed Thread