HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Alexei Kovalev to Atlant Mytishchi (KHL)

Old
07-29-2011, 08:39 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
He was a perennial underachiever given his skill. Don't kid yourself.
What's the point, exactly? It doesn't matter how he got there, he still scored 1000 points, something a tiny fraction of NHLers have ever accomplished. You don't get a special trophy for "trying hard" when you do it.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 08:42 PM
TyBOZAK*

He'll rip the KHL apart imo.

TyBOZAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 10:15 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

An extremely agile player with very bad hockey sense. I think his laziness is very exagerated. He's an fabulous stickhandler, but his ability to see a play develop around him, to find chemistry with any team-mate and to adjust his play to different game situations have always been bad, and this is often misinterpreted as laziness.

Overall, I think he did what he could with his skills set. Great career that will be wrongly analyzed because he's a UFO and has very few comparables.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 10:36 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
What's the point, exactly? It doesn't matter how he got there, he still scored 1000 points, something a tiny fraction of NHLers have ever accomplished. You don't get a special trophy for "trying hard" when you do it.
If anything, he scored 1000 points without trying.

Sum dum gais don't know the difference between laziness and a bummed knee.

HELL YEAH KOVY! I'll miss you forever, best hands ever.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 10:56 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

Well there goes a player with great skill, but no heart or drive. He won't be missed.

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 12:04 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn View Post
Well there goes a player with great skill, but no heart or drive. He won't be missed.
I will miss him.

Great player. Not a Hall of Famer. But I would have him in the backup hall of fame.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 12:34 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
Loved the guy. He's one of the main reason hockey fever came back in Montreal.Would have love him on the 3rd line in Montreal.
yes true

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 01:52 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
If anything, he scored 1000 points without trying.

Sum dum gais don't know the difference between laziness and a bummed knee.

HELL YEAH KOVY! I'll miss you forever, best hands ever.
we all know the NHL is a super soft league so really anyone with great hands will light up teams even if they don't put the effort, this is why the likes of Rob Schremp are on the fast track to the HHOF

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 09:39 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Incredibly talented. Never forget his rookie year in NY, Keenan tried to get the point across to Alex that he was taking too long of shifts and had to change when the rest of the line did. So when Alex went out, Keenan made him stay out there for like 3+ minutes. He thought it was a reward and just kept on playing. Message NOT received.
I thought that it was more like a 7 minute shift, and he scored...his team mates were laughing on the bench....

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 10:07 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I think Kovalev receives his messages just fine. I would guess that in addition to being among the top 10% of the NHL in pure talent in his career, he is also among the top 10% in basic IQ. So he gets the messages. And all the benchings. And has ample ability to understand the systems and responsibilities that his coaches want him to pay more attention to. He just consciously chooses not to conform. He prefers to listen to his inner artistic muse, and accepts the tradeoffs that come with that conscious choice. A theory.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 10:11 AM
trickster

The NHL is better without deadbeats like Kovalev in it taking a roster spot from someone who really cares...

Kovalev should have started up hockey's version of the globetrotters years ago and spared us all the pain of watching him half-ass it around the ice...

Good riddance...

trickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 10:14 AM
Bullet

The last piece of the 94' Rangers cup team is now gone a sad day. Kovalev was always fun and exciting to watch play. Few if any had better stick handling ability. Unfortunately he always left you wanting more. A classic case of million dollar body 10 cent head. This guy could take over a game single handedly though. One of my all time favorite players, I really though his production would be greater. With the skill he had he was projected as someone who could have been the best player in the game he just couldn't put it together and find consistancy.

Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 10:53 AM
danyhabsfan

People are only talking about his hands but he also had a very good shot.

That is at the end of his career. His shot and hands were still there but he had become way to slow to succeed.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 10:55 AM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maravilla View Post
what happened to him wanting to come back to Montreal?
MTL didn't want.

Have fun in Russia...

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
All the best to him, time hasn't been kind to him and he's not cut out for the NHL anymore, as proved by last season, KHL suits him more.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 12:03 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickster View Post
The NHL is better without deadbeats like Kovalev in it taking a roster spot from someone who really cares...

Kovalev should have started up hockey's version of the globetrotters years ago and spared us all the pain of watching him half-ass it around the ice...

Good riddance...
No playoffs for the Leafs for years, has made someone pretty cranky....easy there...most here have said the same thing, but a little nicer...have a beer, relax...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 12:05 PM
Robert Theodorson

Definitely one of the best stickhandlers/shooters of his time

Fun fact: Was the first Russian (shared) to ever have his name put on the Cup

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 03:42 PM
Hanji

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickster View Post

Good riddance...

Yes he could have played harder, but I think much of his laziness was actually a lack of hockey sense relative to his physical talent.
He always left fans wanting more, but perhaps he couldn't do more on a consistent basis because there wasn't anything there.

Hanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 06:33 AM
Puckhog27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
Absolutely not.

Perhaps the most pure waste of talent ever.
When I watched him his first few years with the Rangers he was one of the best players I've ever seen in terms of playing keep away with the puck. There were few players who could take the puck away from him. The main problem was he didn't know what to do with it and kept beating people over and over again until he finally gave the puck back. I wouldn't say he is one of the most talented ever, but he was one of the best one on one players from his entry into the league up until he was around 29. After that his legs started to go downhill already. The last two years were painful to watch as he was so slow compared to his youth and he could hardly beat a player one on one. I think a lot of people who watched him in Montreal don't really how fast or quick he was during his younger years. They really just saw flashes of it and in Ottawa they really didn't see any of it as his legs were about done.

Puckhog27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Jigger77

One thing about Kovalev that's always stuck with me and gave me a lot of respect for him is that he was diagnosed with a serious heart condition as a kid and told he could never play hockey. He fought through and made it to the NHL and thrived and ended up in the elite 1000 point club. He was always excellent with the fans, the kids, his foundation etc. And when he had his best season in Montreal say what you will but when he had the puck he kept you on the edge of your seat. I still remember him making Chara look like a peewee that one time, that wrist shot from his "office" on the powerplay. His chemistry with Kostitsyn and Plecky, those toe-drags, the back-hand roofs in the shootout, the smooth skating style, the size and puck possession skills along the boards, the flare for the dramatic, playoff overtime goal against Boston in a 1-0 game. One of the best memories is that hit on Tucker too.

For me he was awesome as a Hab. Good in the community, fun to watch on the ice. I'm glad he's not back though based on what I saw last year his foot speed just isn't there anymore.

I wish "l'artiste" as Yvon Pednault called him all the best. He goes down as one of the most entertaining players I've seen.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
My all time favorite player is now out of the NHL. I been watching him since 1993 so this year it's gonna be strange no Kovalev in the NHL.

To the posters who say he was a wasted talent he is going to go down as one of the greatest Russian born players in history, how is that a waste of talent? Kovy had a damn fine NHL career and I hope he gets into the HOF.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Chimp

What I'm going to miss the most about Kovalev, are fan videos made about him like this one:

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 08:03 PM
gotmonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
LOL! I dont remember that.. WHAT THE HELL!?

Talk about being a "its all about ME" type player

Suck it up Kovy

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 12:34 AM
Adam91

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
LOL! I dont remember that.. WHAT THE HELL!?

Talk about being a "its all about ME" type player

Suck it up Kovy
Maybe you forgot but the Habs came back and won that series in 7. Primarily on the backs of Theodore and Kovalev.

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote