HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT-EHM updates, how's it goin for everyone?

Closed Thread

Old
08-05-2004, 06:12 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
OT-EHM updates, how's it goin for everyone?

Is the game working well and such? I visited Rabi's site but haven't downloaded anything yet. After finally getting my game working, this thing's a blast. I'm done a season and currently in the off-season. The "Oilers" now look alot different.

Kovalchuk(trade, Brew involved)-Richards(trade, York involved)-Zherdev(trade)
Ovechkin(traded for 1st overall)-Gomez(traded for RFA)-Dvorak
Hemsky-Savard(trade)-Spezza(trade)
Hecht(trade)-Yzerman(UFA signing, beat out DET, is gonna retire here)-Moreau
Schremp(traded for #7 pick)-Tarvainen(signed him)-Selivanov(brought him back!)

Kubina(trade)-Hale(trade, he's big-time in EHM)
Tanabe(trade, he's also really good)-Visnovsky(trade)
Pisa(traded for rights and re-signed)-Grand-Pierre(trade, overrated in EHM)
Ulanov-Barker(traded for his rights, gave up alot)

Fleury(trade)
Lehtonen(traded for RFA rights after ATL didn't sign him)

I might improve my D, but other than that, it'd be fun cheerin for that team every night!

Old
08-05-2004, 06:25 PM
dynastydays

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

I might improve my D, but other than that, it'd be fun cheerin for that team every night!

If you dont mind cheering for a team consistently losing games 7-5, 6-4 etc

Old
08-05-2004, 07:10 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastydays
If you dont mind cheering for a team consistently losing games 7-5, 6-4 etc
Somehow I doubt a team with a goalie and all it's d-men on world cup rosters, as well as several of the best all-around forwards in the league is gonna lose many nights, much less give up that many goals.

Old
08-05-2004, 11:08 PM
oilersrule14

I'm just about to start my second year. Isbister had 36 goals and Laraque hit that 20-20 last year ( only if EHM was real)

Kovalchuk(traded for rights with picks) - Richards(traded for picks) - Kolar(unreal overager in draft)
Ovechkin(traded allen to move up) - Nedved - Smyth
Hemsky - York - Dvorak
Isbister - Horcoff - Laraque

Brewer - Smith
Staios - Ferguson
Pratt (waiver draft) - Ulanov

DiPietro (traded for picks)
Conklin

Old
08-06-2004, 12:08 AM
Grimrock Alberta

what is EHM?

Old
08-06-2004, 12:09 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Warning about Schremp: it's coded into the game that he's a locker room cancer. If the team starts losing, or you treat him the wrong way, or he loses confidence in his teammates or you, the whole team goes down the crapper.

How do I know this? Pittsburgh drafted him in my game, and at the end of their third season with him EVERY PLAYER on the roster was unhappy with Schremp and that affected their play.

Old
08-06-2004, 12:32 AM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take off Hose Head
what is EHM?
http://www.sigames.com

and look for NHL: Eastside Hockey Manager.

Basically it's a super-intense hockey simulator, text-based. Want to manage the London Knights? Go for it. Want to manage a European team? OK. Want to try your hand at an NHL team? Sure. Want to work your way up? That's possible too, if you don't mind your family thinking you've died in front of the PC.

Old
08-06-2004, 06:42 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
and before you start a game visit my site http://www.nhlfe.com/ and download the patch that fixes the name for all the AHL teams

Old
08-06-2004, 11:26 AM
insider

How exactly do you get it started? Is it free?

Old
08-06-2004, 03:03 PM
PigeonCamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by insider
You can still download the game and try it out for free, (I'm not sure how long the trial period is, 6 game-months or something.)

Personally, I'm not so keen on it. I played the previous (freeware) version a ton. The new version has clunky language and a downright ugly interface...the last interface was a bit like chewing on cardboard, not tasty but you could swallow it. Using this one is like chewing on tin foil for me.

I know that this is based on a soccer sim, but a lot of the language still bugs me, and for a stats-based game with no graphics it runs mighty slow.

I'm definitely going to give it another go, however, and see if it can grab me. So my tune might change.

Old
08-06-2004, 03:05 PM
PigeonCamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
and before you start a game visit my site http://www.nhlfe.com/ and download the patch that fixes the name for all the AHL teams
By the way rabi, I did visit your site and it was a good reference. Fixing the names is a big deal, and Jim Harnock's graphic pack was top-notch.

Old
08-06-2004, 04:50 PM
Jim_Harnock

Quote:
Originally Posted by insider
The current version isn't free, but I think you can still get a copy of the freeware versions at fhockey.com

Old
08-06-2004, 06:58 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
I know that this is based on a soccer sim, but a lot of the language still bugs me, and for a stats-based game with no graphics it runs mighty slow.
Graphical games 90% of the time require a lesser PC to run on than text based sims, due to a huge number of calculations that goes on behind the scenes.

Old
08-06-2004, 08:15 PM
PigeonCamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle
Graphical games 90% of the time require a lesser PC to run on than text based sims, due to a huge number of calculations that goes on behind the scenes.
Sadly, I do have some programming knowledge and I should have thought of that. I guess that I was expecting much better speed than the original version, and I don't really see it.

How do you find the interface? I'm assuming that I'm in the minority here and most like it...

P.S. Jim: I downloaded the full version of the game, yet haven't yet paid for it. It gives you the option (when you start up) to try the game for 6 game months or buy it.

Old
08-06-2004, 08:17 PM
McThome
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to McThome
I don't understand why anybody would pay to play that when you could do FHL sim leagues for free no the net and interact with other real GMs.......

08-06-2004, 10:50 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
Sadly, I do have some programming knowledge and I should have thought of that. I guess that I was expecting much better speed than the original version, and I don't really see it.

How do you find the interface? I'm assuming that I'm in the minority here and most like it...

P.S. Jim: I downloaded the full version of the game, yet haven't yet paid for it. It gives you the option (when you start up) to try the game for 6 game months or buy it.
I am OK with the interface, but thats because I played CM3 to death and got used to it. It doesn't really "fit" for a hockey simulator but it's OK for the first go.

The game itself is good, the best of its kind available, though I am waiting for the 2nd patch to be released in a few days to really get into one career game.

They just need to fix the language used within the game.

Old
08-07-2004, 10:00 AM
Jim_Harnock

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil_85
Jim: I downloaded the full version of the game, yet haven't yet paid for it. It gives you the option (when you start up) to try the game for 6 game months or buy it.
Yeah, I'm aware of that. But by being limited to six months, you don't get the experience what is, in my opinion, EHM's best feature -- developing a team over the course of several years. In the freeware version, you can play up to the year 2099.

Old
08-07-2004, 11:17 AM
fyrenyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil_85

Actually, you don't get to try the game for 6 months in real time....just 6 months in the game which goes by pretty quick.

Old
08-07-2004, 04:49 PM
PigeonCamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrenyce
Actually, you don't get to try the game for 6 months in real time....just 6 months in the game which goes by pretty quick.

Hence my use of the phrase "6 game months."

Old
08-07-2004, 04:50 PM
PigeonCamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Harnock
Yeah, I'm aware of that. But by being limited to six months, you don't get the experience what is, in my opinion, EHM's best feature -- developing a team over the course of several years. In the freeware version, you can play up to the year 2099.
True enough. Very nice work on the graphics pack.

Old
08-07-2004, 05:00 PM
Oilers Ent

Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
I suck at the game. By leaving the coach to do the dirty work I've created a team that loses and loses. I was dead last in the league my first year and got Ovechkin because of it. So far in year two he's doing awesome but the team is continuing to lose.

Old
08-09-2004, 07:46 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

I'm doin alright, almost made it to the 04-05 season. Just splattered the U of Denver 18-1 in an ex. game. hahaha. Anyway, I have a problem now, as soon as Alex Ovechkin comes back from injury, I have a roster issue...

Kovalchuk-Richards-Zherdev
-The tear em apart line.
Guerin-Gomez-Yzerman
-Veteran scoring/shutdown line
Hemsky-Schremp-Spezza
-Young line that's almost keeping up to the #1 line.
Moreau-Savard-Dvorak
-Ethan and Radek seem underrated in this game, I'd like to use them more but can't.

As you can see, I've gone with the balanced approach, but I think I'm gonna shatter it when we get goin in the season. I need to move a forward. I can think of trading maybe Guerin (a huge bargain at 1.6 mil) or Savard. I could always send Robbie to junior, but I really don't feel like it, and his numbers are good so far.

My D sets up like this:

Niinimaa-Barker
-Vet+rook=amazing
Kubina-Pisa
-Czech connection. Pisa is nice and overrated in EHM, which is good because i like him.
Hale-Tanabe
-Can't score on these guys.
Grand-Pierre

and my goalies are of course

Fleury
Lehtonen

Both are amazing.

I just can't decide what to do. I'm thinking maybe GP and Guerin for a top-flight d-man, then rotate my bottom 3 in and out. Barker's too good to sit. Nice problem to have, my young guns are gonna nuke this league.

What's your move?

Old
08-09-2004, 09:17 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

LMHF#1:

Two words: waiver draft. If you haven't gotten to it yet, watch out. You may find that you will lose at least one good player. Trade away veterans before their stats drop. That usually happens inevitably, no matter how well you practice or handle them, at around age 33-35. Overplaying a young player also makes stats go down. Schremp is also a head case. Don't drag him around too much or else he'll get unhappy, and then your whole team gets unhappy.

I think Guerin (provided his stats are still up there) and Yzerman packaged together with a marginal prospect can get you two first round picks from the same team (in consecutive years), or at least a second rounder and a blue-chipper.

Old
08-09-2004, 10:10 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned
LMHF#1:

Two words: waiver draft. If you haven't gotten to it yet, watch out. You may find that you will lose at least one good player. Trade away veterans before their stats drop. That usually happens inevitably, no matter how well you practice or handle them, at around age 33-35. Overplaying a young player also makes stats go down. Schremp is also a head case. Don't drag him around too much or else he'll get unhappy, and then your whole team gets unhappy.

I think Guerin (provided his stats are still up there) and Yzerman packaged together with a marginal prospect can get you two first round picks from the same team (in consecutive years), or at least a second rounder and a blue-chipper.
Just finished the waiver draft, I had enough exempt guys that I could make some pickups including Ray Emery, who was "deemed untouchable" by Ottawa......I guess not so much. Now comes the dealing. Yzerman has a no-trade, I'm gonna get him to retire in a year or two and take a coaching position along with Hull who's already on my staff. Schremp has been a first star 3 times in the pre-season playing on the 3rd line, and is also very happy. I think I'm gonna try to deal Guerin (who's now out 2 months), Grand-Pierre, and some of my other depth guys, for a good D and a pick. I need to prepare for getting Crosby.

Old
08-09-2004, 10:29 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Just finished the waiver draft, I had enough exempt guys that I could make some pickups including Ray Emery, who was "deemed untouchable" by Ottawa......I guess not so much. Now comes the dealing. Yzerman has a no-trade, I'm gonna get him to retire in a year or two and take a coaching position along with Hull who's already on my staff. Schremp has been a first star 3 times in the pre-season playing on the 3rd line, and is also very happy. I think I'm gonna try to deal Guerin (who's now out 2 months), Grand-Pierre, and some of my other depth guys, for a good D and a pick. I need to prepare for getting Crosby.
When journalists begin praising Schremp, make sure you either decline to comment or build up praise. Playing praise down will make him unhappy. And if the team starts losing and he becomes a disruptive influence (the coach will report he caused the team to lose or something), it's time to deal him.

Closed Thread