HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Bourque

Old
08-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

vCash: 500
Ryan Bourque

I hear literally nothing about the kid, and there isn't a ton of footage to be found. He's got solid numbers, PPG in his rookie season in Quebec, and even better in his sophomore season, and a great +/-. He also played along side D-Step and Kreider. Where do you guys think he'll end up in a few years? Considering how many 2 way forwards we have, is he going to be a trading chip, or do they think he'll make some noise in the the pack this year (I refuse to call it the whale)

Discuss.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

I can see him being traded by the deadline. I like him, but with our depth I don't see him cracking our lineup for atleast another 2 years.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

I agree with IH8TheIslanders, I think he is a nice trading chip

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 08:42 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
I can see him being traded by the deadline. I like him, but with our depth I don't see him cracking our lineup for atleast another 2 years.
I don't see why waiting 2 years is a bad thing. He is a good chip to use in a trade but I really don't want to see some sort of Ryan Bourque for Enver Lisin (rather his 2013 equivalent). I think if we wait those 2 years, we'll have an excellent player on our hands; a smaller version of Callahan.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 08:43 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
I think in a few years he'll end up on a third or fourth line in a city other than New York.

Or on LTIR.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 08:43 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Good bottom 6 sparkplug. Just no room here.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 08:51 PM
NYR Viper

Too small for the way he plays for the pros. He got hurt in juniors, I think it will continue. I would be surprised if he plays more than 55 games this season.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 09:10 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

while i agree his size is an enormous issue as well as staying healthy, i happen to believe this kid has all the other tools to be an nhl player. problem is, that may not be enough.

hes got dangerous speed, his motor never stops, hes a pita to play against and hes a natural leader. besides his hof bloodlines, hes got a ton of get up and go and a work ethic thats top notch. on top of that, hes sneaky smart and defensively responsible.

having said all that, his size and the way he plays works against him and im not sure hes got enough offensive talent to overcome that. his size doesnt work well for a guy whos destined to play bottom 6 checking line centerman type minutes.

career ahler is my guess with an outside shot at bottom 6 if we have a few injuries.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 09:20 PM
The Mouth

From what I have seen in the world juniors I have liked. Every role they have asked to be take part in he has filled well. The only knock on him that I have heard is that he is a bit of a dangler at times.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
while i agree his size is an enormous issue as well as staying healthy, i happen to believe this kid has all the other tools to be an nhl player. problem is, that may not be enough.

hes got dangerous speed, his motor never stops, hes a pita to play against and hes a natural leader. besides his hof bloodlines, hes got a ton of get up and go and a work ethic thats top notch. on top of that, hes sneaky smart and defensively responsible.

having said all that, his size and the way he plays works against him and im not sure hes got enough offensive talent to overcome that. his size doesnt work well for a guy whos destined to play bottom 6 checking line centerman type minutes.

career ahler is my guess with an outside shot at bottom 6 if we have a few injuries.
He's also very young. Guys tend to be able to put on 15 to 20 pounds the right way when they get around 22, 23. If he can get up to 180, 185, he'll be able to hold his own.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Vitto79

he's a kid, let him get a few yrs in Hartford then see what the lineup is like. He may be alot like Weise where there is no spot but he may be able to earn a spot in time

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 09:46 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
His brother Chris is 5'8", 180, plays a very similar game. Tenacious, a battler, good skater and offensively talented. Also battled concussions and other nagging injuries due to his frame coupled with the way he plays. Where is he? Playing in Switzerland. An AHL All Star, but not cut out for NHL hockey. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Ryan follow a similar path.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:47 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
His brother Chris is 5'8", 180, plays a very similar game. Tenacious, a battler, good skater and offensively talented. Also battled concussions and other nagging injuries due to his frame coupled with the way he plays. Where is he? Playing in Switzerland. An AHL All Star, but not cut out for NHL hockey. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Ryan follow a similar path.
Dawes 2.0

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:02 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I don't see why waiting 2 years is a bad thing. He is a good chip to use in a trade but I really don't want to see some sort of Ryan Bourque for Enver Lisin (rather his 2013 equivalent). I think if we wait those 2 years, we'll have an excellent player on our hands; a smaller version of Callahan.
The Rangers don't need another Callahan, trade him now for a bigger piece to the puzzle, don't worry about what he might do in the future. The Rangers are done hoarding prospects, now is the time to trade some of them away for an impact player if/when that player becomes available.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Vitto79

again why is everyone saying trade the guy, he's never played a game in the AHL, let him come to camp ,do his best and play in the minors for a bit.
Sure if someone wants him put him in a package but no need to jus dump him

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:16 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
The Rangers don't need another Callahan, trade him now for a bigger piece to the puzzle, don't worry about what he might do in the future. The Rangers are done hoarding prospects, now is the time to trade some of them away for an impact player if/when that player becomes available.
That is totally wrong dude. Put it this way where did Cally's rise begin? 3rd line right? You can't seriously feel that what we had last year on our third was better then what we had in Cally who became so good he managed to take on ur 2nd/1st line? Why in God's name would a team not need more than 1 Callahan he's definitely the type of player you would gladly take 12 of and thats not just leadership thats his skill, hitting, defense, everything.Now if you've got bvetter players fine but we certainly don't have anyone in our bottom 6 better than him so we could use at least 6 more Cally's.

Tha said I don't think Bourque will be that. Don't even think he'll make the NHL unfortunately

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 11:38 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
He's 20 years old.

Some kids just take longer.

If he's 24 and still "on the fence", then you might call him a career AHLer or a bust.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 12:29 AM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
He's 20 years old.

Some kids just take longer.

If he's 24 and still "on the fence", then you might call him a career AHLer or a bust.
By then it's too late and he has no value whatsoever.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 04:21 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

He seems the next installment of Tom Pyatt best case scenario. His size and concussion history really make me wonder if he's going to have much of a career. I don't think he has enough skill either to make it as a top 6 NHL'er and that's why his size plays against him big time.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 06:41 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
By then it's too late and he has no value whatsoever.
He doesn't have much value now. At best, he'd be a throw-in on a deadline deal. We aren't bringing back significant assets by trading him. Better to just keep him and see what he can do. If he doesn't make it, he doesn't make it.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 07:01 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
He seems the next installment of Tom Pyatt best case scenario. His size and concussion history really make me wonder if he's going to have much of a career. I don't think he has enough skill either to make it as a top 6 NHL'er and that's why his size plays against him big time.
Pyatt was even more of a checker than Ryan, but overall Ryan is a definite notch better than Pyatt.

Ryan is most def on the outside looking in. Like the role we might predict for him, he just ain't good enough to beat out the competition for as of today.

But if any player surprises you, it's types like him. He has a ton of hockey in him and can adjust for any role basically.

I think he is a prospect who can be underrated. If not here, probably someplace else like someone said.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 09:59 AM
TheRedressor

I don't see this as an issue at this point. Let's see what kind of role he carves out for himself with the Whale this season. Evaluate a year from now. IMO he is going to be a great 4th line player in the NHL in about 2-3 years.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 10:38 AM
xxxZENxxx

Most experts say that he will be a career AHLer due to his size. Until I see otherwise, that is what I will assume to be true.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 10:42 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
So you all can swear battle and fight over Zucc and how is going to be a second liner and be a true NHL star while Bourque is big enough to make it? The kid is not going to fail he will be a nhl'er and if not in NY somewhere

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 11:06 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Personally, I think Bourque has the drive/competitiveness, skill set and potential of a Ryan Callahan.

Thats me, whether or not you agree or want to wait and see if that materializes and to what degree is the question. He wouldnt be a bad trade chip, considering the depth in the system at his position.

BUT, I have a strong feeling this kid is going to be in the NHL, and after watching kids develop for years, I dont think i'm offbase in saying that with confidence. Im no scout, but I seem to hit it right most times. For me its more about the character and professionalism a kid shows that trumps the physical qualities all draftees possess. Throw in the family pedigree (which should never be discounted) and I think hes a lock sans injury problems god forbid.

But like i said, assess all that in consideration with the current roster/future and make your decision.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote