HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kris Versteeg to New Jersey

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-01-2011, 09:10 PM
  #51
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.
 
A1LeafNation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,764
vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
I don't get the hate for Versteeg. He's a 20-25/25-30 guy who's 24 years old (with a cup), there's still room for improvement. I'm not saying he's the most versatile player, but wow, how can you say he's over-paid at 3 million.
He's playing for the Panthers this season, so you will get it soon enough. LOL.

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 08:05 AM
  #52
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I was just thinking the other day, if there is a player that has a chance to play for every team in the league, it's Versteeg.
He's the new Sillinger, for sure. Just good enough that teams want to acquire him at the deadline, but not so good they make him a core piece.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 08:13 AM
  #53
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain
 
Jerry Lundegaard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
He's playing for the Panthers this season, so you will get it soon enough. LOL.

He is? when did this happen?

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:30 AM
  #54
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,051
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chiddler View Post
I get that you needed to get to the cap floor but some of the term on those contracts is ridiculous. I don't think any of those contracts are going to look good next season, and there won't be teams looking to get to the floor that will be willing to take them.

Ironically Versteeg was probably their best acquisition this summer.
ok

__________________
So you're saying there's a chance!
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:52 AM
  #55
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southampton, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 38,169
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
do not want Versteeg, thanks.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 11:42 AM
  #56
FinlandPanther
Registered User
 
FinlandPanther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dania Florida
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
He's playing for the Panthers this season, so you will get it soon enough. LOL.
From the Leafs it's certainly an improvement.

FinlandPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 11:50 AM
  #57
PinchedNerve
Registered User
 
PinchedNerve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 295
vCash: 500
Is Kris Versteeg the new Rich Peverley??

PinchedNerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 01:36 PM
  #58
Gudbranson44
#44
 
Gudbranson44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Miami, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chiddler View Post
I get that you needed to get to the cap floor but some of the term on those contracts is ridiculous. I don't think any of those contracts are going to look good next season, and there won't be teams looking to get to the floor that will be willing to take them.

Ironically Versteeg was probably their best acquisition this summer.
why would we try to trade them next offseason?? the majority of the players we signed are 27-28 years old, which means theyre about to hit their prime these coming years.
you havent seen the teams we've had to suffer through in the past im assuming, if you think these are bad guys on a team.

some contracts I think we can all agree were a bit too big and a year or two too long, but the bottom line is that it will open up a lot of possibilities for our prospects that we have drafted over the last few years, and some of them seem very promising!

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 01:47 PM
  #59
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne
 
Brooklyndevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Brooklyn, NY USA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,992
vCash: 500
The guy doesn't play a lick of defense. Don't want him or need him.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 01:49 PM
  #60
Tinalera
Registered User
 
Tinalera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Known Universe
Posts: 6,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Weathers View Post
He is? when did this happen?
On July 1st


http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=370608

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 02:00 PM
  #61
Kessley Snipes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,129
vCash: 500
Hasn't Versteeg had enough New Jersey's in the past year?

Kessley Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 02:24 PM
  #62
Parise9Crosby87
Registered User
 
Parise9Crosby87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: boca raton florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,530
vCash: 500
why would want versteeg =/

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 03:06 PM
  #63
The Chiddler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisournextbure View Post
why would we try to trade them next offseason?? the majority of the players we signed are 27-28 years old, which means theyre about to hit their prime these coming years.
you havent seen the teams we've had to suffer through in the past im assuming, if you think these are bad guys on a team.

some contracts I think we can all agree were a bit too big and a year or two too long, but the bottom line is that it will open up a lot of possibilities for our prospects that we have drafted over the last few years, and some of them seem very promising!
How exactly does it open up possibilities for your prospects? Instead of giving your prospects a shot next year, you locked up a bunch of average UFAs to long expensive 1 way contracts. Your young players are going to have a hard time challenging these players for roster spots simply because of their contracts.

The Chiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 04:01 PM
  #64
Coolburn
Registered User
 
Coolburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: South Florida
Country: Hungary
Posts: 7,773
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chiddler View Post
How exactly does it open up possibilities for your prospects? Instead of giving your prospects a shot next year, you locked up a bunch of average UFAs to long expensive 1 way contracts. Your young players are going to have a hard time challenging these players for roster spots simply because of their contracts.
I think what he was referring to was Tallon's commitment to no longer rushing prospects to the Panthers. Which means those promising young players will get the proper amount of time to develop (particularly in the AHL) before being thrust into the lineup. So while some of the deals may seem too long right now, in 2-3 yrs when these prospects have developed properly and are truly ready to deserve a spot in the lineup, those contracts will be easy to move. Really besides Howden and Huberdeau, I don't see any of the propsects cracking the NHL next season and if either of those 2 make it, there are other guys that could easily be moved to make room.

Versteeg gives FL now four proven 20 goal scorers (besides him, its Weiss, Booth, and Fleischmann) and 3 other guys who could potentially hit that number (Santorelli, Upshall, & Dadonov). Tallon added depth and leadership with guys like Bergenheim, Kopecky and Goc who could all score between 8-15 goals next season to give the team plenty of scoring up and down the lineup. I dont understand why people think having that depth isn't a good thing when guys can struggle at times throughout the season or potentially injuries hit. And as mentioned, none of those guys are really that old so they're in their prime yrs and going to be valuable going forward for any team.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 05:56 PM
  #65
flapanthersfan
Registered User
 
flapanthersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
I think what he was referring to was Tallon's commitment to no longer rushing prospects to the Panthers. Which means those promising young players will get the proper amount of time to develop (particularly in the AHL) before being thrust into the lineup. So while some of the deals may seem too long right now, in 2-3 yrs when these prospects have developed properly and are truly ready to deserve a spot in the lineup, those contracts will be easy to move. Really besides Howden and Huberdeau, I don't see any of the propsects cracking the NHL next season and if either of those 2 make it, there are other guys that could easily be moved to make room.

Versteeg gives FL now four proven 20 goal scorers (besides him, its Weiss, Booth, and Fleischmann) and 3 other guys who could potentially hit that number (Santorelli, Upshall, & Dadonov). Tallon added depth and leadership with guys like Bergenheim, Kopecky and Goc who could all score between 8-15 goals next season to give the team plenty of scoring up and down the lineup. I dont understand why people think having that depth isn't a good thing when guys can struggle at times throughout the season or potentially injuries hit. And as mentioned, none of those guys are really that old so they're in their prime yrs and going to be valuable going forward for any team.
Santorelli and Upshall both scored 20+ goals last year - BTW - so by definition, they're also proven 20+ goal scorers.

I don't get the hate for Versteeg. I think he'll do well here. he didn't fit in for the Leafs, but did fine for the Flyers and Hawks. Good 2nd line winger, and still has room to improve.

He sucked for the all-mighty city of Toronto and of course, it earned him a bad rep - but McCabe did as well and he played well for us the years he was here. I'm not worried about Versteeg.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 06:30 PM
  #66
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig
 
I May Be Wrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,397
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
Santorelli and Upshall both scored 20+ goals last year - BTW - so by definition, they're also proven 20+ goal scorers.

I don't get the hate for Versteeg. I think he'll do well here. he didn't fit in for the Leafs, but did fine for the Flyers and Hawks. Good 2nd line winger, and still has room to improve.

He sucked for the all-mighty city of Toronto and of course, it earned him a bad rep - but McCabe did as well and he played well for us the years he was here. I'm not worried about Versteeg.
pretty good point. I am not worried about him either, if he can quietly put up 20g 20a I'll be more than happy. I don't think anybody should expect much more than that.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 06:34 PM
  #67
flapanthersfan
Registered User
 
flapanthersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
pretty good point. I am not worried about him either, if he can quietly put up 20g 20a I'll be more than happy. I don't think anybody should expect much more than that.
i think he's capable of more - like his 08-09 season in chicago of 50+ points. i think he'll end up being a legit 2nd liner for us when all is said and done. i like versteeg, i think he's a good player that got a bad rap because he didn't fit in on toronto.

he'll fly under the radar here, like mccabe did, and establish himself as a good player.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 07:18 AM
  #68
Deuce Awesome
Registered User
 
Deuce Awesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,092
vCash: 500
Alright so all you panthers fans say he wasn't a fit in Toronto, because of the stereotypical reasons.


Why wasn't he a fit on Philly then?

Trust me the novelty will wear off by Christmas and you will want to take that mouthguard right out of his mouth and throw it in the ocean.

Deuce Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 07:23 AM
  #69
bigbadbruins1
Registered User
 
bigbadbruins1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,616
vCash: 500
wait.. versteeg... defensive play?

bigbadbruins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 07:36 AM
  #70
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I really hope the Devils never trade for Versteeg. He would not be a fit in New Jersey.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 08:26 AM
  #71
Pantherfan12
Registered User
 
Pantherfan12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sunrise,Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 705techno View Post
Alright so all you panthers fans say he wasn't a fit in Toronto, because of the stereotypical reasons.


Why wasn't he a fit on Philly then?

Trust me the novelty will wear off by Christmas and you will want to take that mouthguard right out of his mouth and throw it in the ocean.
Who said he wasn't a fit on Philly? They needed to unload salaries and his was one of them. He had 11 points in 27 games with Philly, and 6 points in 11 games in the playoffs with them, so that isn't too shabby might I add. Not to mention Philly's depth was pretty deep when it comes to offense so.... What's the problem.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 08:54 AM
  #72
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,249
vCash: 500
would be good pickup for the Hawks at the TD.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 09:29 AM
  #73
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!
 
JP Mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 4,903
vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by blader258 View Post
Hasn't Versteeg had enough New Jersey's in the past year?
LOL Nice one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 705techno View Post
Alright so all you panthers fans say he wasn't a fit in Toronto, because of the stereotypical reasons.


Why wasn't he a fit on Philly then?

Trust me the novelty will wear off by Christmas and you will want to take that mouthguard right out of his mouth and throw it in the ocean.
I hope not, I'm thinking he will fit in here. He has a couple of other guys here from that Chicago team so I'm sure the players will get some chemistry going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
would be good pickup for the Hawks at the TD.
He and Upshall mentioned they want to put down roots here so I doubt that happens.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:46 PM
  #74
WatchaMaCarcass
Registered User
 
WatchaMaCarcass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lurking
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,149
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blader258 View Post
Hasn't Versteeg had enough New Jersey's in the past year?
Haha! Principe eat your heart out.

I'm still lost as to why the Devils would want him, hes a serviceable NHL'er, but if Hunter can bounce back from injuries so was he and he was cheaper, and they just bought him out.

WatchaMaCarcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 01:11 AM
  #75
flapanthersfan
Registered User
 
flapanthersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 705techno View Post
Alright so all you panthers fans say he wasn't a fit in Toronto, because of the stereotypical reasons.


Why wasn't he a fit on Philly then?

Trust me the novelty will wear off by Christmas and you will want to take that mouthguard right out of his mouth and throw it in the ocean.
who said he didn't fit in on philly? they traded him for cap reasons. they gave up a first round pick to get him, they obviously thought pretty highly of him.

versteeg will be fine. he'll establish himself as a good 2nd line 20-25 goal, 50-55 point 2nd liner. he's 24, he's had ups and downs, but the skill is there.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.