HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kris Versteeg to New Jersey

Old
08-01-2011, 09:10 PM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
I don't get the hate for Versteeg. He's a 20-25/25-30 guy who's 24 years old (with a cup), there's still room for improvement. I'm not saying he's the most versatile player, but wow, how can you say he's over-paid at 3 million.
He's playing for the Panthers this season, so you will get it soon enough. LOL.

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 08:05 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I was just thinking the other day, if there is a player that has a chance to play for every team in the league, it's Versteeg.
He's the new Sillinger, for sure. Just good enough that teams want to acquire him at the deadline, but not so good they make him a core piece.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 08:13 AM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post

He is? when did this happen?

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:30 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chiddler View Post
I get that you needed to get to the cap floor but some of the term on those contracts is ridiculous. I don't think any of those contracts are going to look good next season, and there won't be teams looking to get to the floor that will be willing to take them.

Ironically Versteeg was probably their best acquisition this summer.
ok

08-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
do not want Versteeg, thanks.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 11:42 AM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
From the Leafs it's certainly an improvement.

FinlandPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 11:50 AM
PinchedNerve

Is Kris Versteeg the new Rich Peverley??

PinchedNerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Gudbranson44

Quote:
I get that you needed to get to the cap floor but some of the term on those contracts is ridiculous. I don't think any of those contracts are going to look good next season, and there won't be teams looking to get to the floor that will be willing to take them.

Ironically Versteeg was probably their best acquisition this summer.
why would we try to trade them next offseason?? the majority of the players we signed are 27-28 years old, which means theyre about to hit their prime these coming years.
you havent seen the teams we've had to suffer through in the past im assuming, if you think these are bad guys on a team.

some contracts I think we can all agree were a bit too big and a year or two too long, but the bottom line is that it will open up a lot of possibilities for our prospects that we have drafted over the last few years, and some of them seem very promising!

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

The guy doesn't play a lick of defense. Don't want him or need him.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Weathers View Post
He is? when did this happen?
On July 1st

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=370608

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 02:00 PM
Kessley Snipes

Hasn't Versteeg had enough New Jersey's in the past year?

Kessley Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Parise9Crosby87

why would want versteeg =/

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 03:06 PM
The Chiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisournextbure View Post
why would we try to trade them next offseason?? the majority of the players we signed are 27-28 years old, which means theyre about to hit their prime these coming years.
you havent seen the teams we've had to suffer through in the past im assuming, if you think these are bad guys on a team.

some contracts I think we can all agree were a bit too big and a year or two too long, but the bottom line is that it will open up a lot of possibilities for our prospects that we have drafted over the last few years, and some of them seem very promising!
How exactly does it open up possibilities for your prospects? Instead of giving your prospects a shot next year, you locked up a bunch of average UFAs to long expensive 1 way contracts. Your young players are going to have a hard time challenging these players for roster spots simply because of their contracts.

The Chiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
How exactly does it open up possibilities for your prospects? Instead of giving your prospects a shot next year, you locked up a bunch of average UFAs to long expensive 1 way contracts. Your young players are going to have a hard time challenging these players for roster spots simply because of their contracts.
I think what he was referring to was Tallon's commitment to no longer rushing prospects to the Panthers. Which means those promising young players will get the proper amount of time to develop (particularly in the AHL) before being thrust into the lineup. So while some of the deals may seem too long right now, in 2-3 yrs when these prospects have developed properly and are truly ready to deserve a spot in the lineup, those contracts will be easy to move. Really besides Howden and Huberdeau, I don't see any of the propsects cracking the NHL next season and if either of those 2 make it, there are other guys that could easily be moved to make room.

Versteeg gives FL now four proven 20 goal scorers (besides him, its Weiss, Booth, and Fleischmann) and 3 other guys who could potentially hit that number (Santorelli, Upshall, & Dadonov). Tallon added depth and leadership with guys like Bergenheim, Kopecky and Goc who could all score between 8-15 goals next season to give the team plenty of scoring up and down the lineup. I dont understand why people think having that depth isn't a good thing when guys can struggle at times throughout the season or potentially injuries hit. And as mentioned, none of those guys are really that old so they're in their prime yrs and going to be valuable going forward for any team.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 05:56 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
I think what he was referring to was Tallon's commitment to no longer rushing prospects to the Panthers. Which means those promising young players will get the proper amount of time to develop (particularly in the AHL) before being thrust into the lineup. So while some of the deals may seem too long right now, in 2-3 yrs when these prospects have developed properly and are truly ready to deserve a spot in the lineup, those contracts will be easy to move. Really besides Howden and Huberdeau, I don't see any of the propsects cracking the NHL next season and if either of those 2 make it, there are other guys that could easily be moved to make room.

Versteeg gives FL now four proven 20 goal scorers (besides him, its Weiss, Booth, and Fleischmann) and 3 other guys who could potentially hit that number (Santorelli, Upshall, & Dadonov). Tallon added depth and leadership with guys like Bergenheim, Kopecky and Goc who could all score between 8-15 goals next season to give the team plenty of scoring up and down the lineup. I dont understand why people think having that depth isn't a good thing when guys can struggle at times throughout the season or potentially injuries hit. And as mentioned, none of those guys are really that old so they're in their prime yrs and going to be valuable going forward for any team.
Santorelli and Upshall both scored 20+ goals last year - BTW - so by definition, they're also proven 20+ goal scorers.

I don't get the hate for Versteeg. I think he'll do well here. he didn't fit in for the Leafs, but did fine for the Flyers and Hawks. Good 2nd line winger, and still has room to improve.

He sucked for the all-mighty city of Toronto and of course, it earned him a bad rep - but McCabe did as well and he played well for us the years he was here. I'm not worried about Versteeg.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 06:30 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
Santorelli and Upshall both scored 20+ goals last year - BTW - so by definition, they're also proven 20+ goal scorers.

I don't get the hate for Versteeg. I think he'll do well here. he didn't fit in for the Leafs, but did fine for the Flyers and Hawks. Good 2nd line winger, and still has room to improve.

He sucked for the all-mighty city of Toronto and of course, it earned him a bad rep - but McCabe did as well and he played well for us the years he was here. I'm not worried about Versteeg.
pretty good point. I am not worried about him either, if he can quietly put up 20g 20a I'll be more than happy. I don't think anybody should expect much more than that.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 06:34 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
pretty good point. I am not worried about him either, if he can quietly put up 20g 20a I'll be more than happy. I don't think anybody should expect much more than that.
i think he's capable of more - like his 08-09 season in chicago of 50+ points. i think he'll end up being a legit 2nd liner for us when all is said and done. i like versteeg, i think he's a good player that got a bad rap because he didn't fit in on toronto.

he'll fly under the radar here, like mccabe did, and establish himself as a good player.

Old
08-03-2011, 07:18 AM
Deuce Awesome

Alright so all you panthers fans say he wasn't a fit in Toronto, because of the stereotypical reasons.

Why wasn't he a fit on Philly then?

Trust me the novelty will wear off by Christmas and you will want to take that mouthguard right out of his mouth and throw it in the ocean.

Deuce Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 07:23 AM
bigbadbruins1

wait.. versteeg... defensive play?

bigbadbruins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 07:36 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I really hope the Devils never trade for Versteeg. He would not be a fit in New Jersey.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 08:26 AM
Pantherfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 705techno View Post
Alright so all you panthers fans say he wasn't a fit in Toronto, because of the stereotypical reasons.

Trust me the novelty will wear off by Christmas and you will want to take that mouthguard right out of his mouth and throw it in the ocean.
Who said he wasn't a fit on Philly? They needed to unload salaries and his was one of them. He had 11 points in 27 games with Philly, and 6 points in 11 games in the playoffs with them, so that isn't too shabby might I add. Not to mention Philly's depth was pretty deep when it comes to offense so.... What's the problem.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

would be good pickup for the Hawks at the TD.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 09:29 AM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by blader258 View Post
LOL Nice one!

Quote:

I hope not, I'm thinking he will fit in here. He has a couple of other guys here from that Chicago team so I'm sure the players will get some chemistry going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
would be good pickup for the Hawks at the TD.
He and Upshall mentioned they want to put down roots here so I doubt that happens.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 01:46 PM
WatchaMaCarcass

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blader258 View Post
Haha! Principe eat your heart out.

I'm still lost as to why the Devils would want him, hes a serviceable NHL'er, but if Hunter can bounce back from injuries so was he and he was cheaper, and they just bought him out.

WatchaMaCarcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 01:11 AM
flapanthersfan

Quote:

who said he didn't fit in on philly? they traded him for cap reasons. they gave up a first round pick to get him, they obviously thought pretty highly of him.

versteeg will be fine. he'll establish himself as a good 2nd line 20-25 goal, 50-55 point 2nd liner. he's 24, he's had ups and downs, but the skill is there.