HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ian O'Connor TALKING ISLES! right now 1050 ESPN Radio and Link to audio is up Post 38

Old
07-30-2011, 12:41 AM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

vCash: 500
Ian O'Connor TALKING ISLES! right now 1050 ESPN Radio and Link to audio is up Post 38

Why does the prefix say ESPN? Well you won't believe this....
Ian O'Conner has a radio show on Sunday from 10-12 a.m. On espn 1050 radio and is on espn new York
Well I am best friends with his son, who lives right down the street from me. I plan on texting him Saturday to ask his dad to support the arena during the broadcast at some point
He knows hockey somewhat, I remember he interviewed mark messier and Chris drury one time
So I am asking you what should I tell him to say during the show?
I plan on doing a listener question and he will answer...
It will be like "do you support the isles arena and why"
I will text his son in the late morning early afternoon

I will update this thread if he will do this in the show

Let's go Islanders!

Oh I almost forgot: I will try to ask if he can write on his Twitter account that he will talk about the arena vote

Here is the list so far:
There will be many job opportunities if this goes through

Taxpayers per household will only need to pay $58 per year for the next 30 years

Events create most of revenue in the county

Businesses/jobs will be affected or lost if the vote is not past

Jay Jacobs (the democrat leading the charge against the arena) is an idiot and does not have a counter proposal to this, only opposing the idea

Listen to the WFAN interview of Jacobs with Mike Francesa

People MUST get out to vote yes; if you don't live in the county or are not registered please spread the word to friends and family in that area to vote yes

Looks what happened to the area where the Seattle Super Sonics played (thanks 13th floor)

There is no Plan B as Charles Wang said

The Devils and Rangers, our two biggest rivals, support us

Make sure to check where the polls are in Nassau County by logging on to islanders.nhl.com

Last edited by M Moulson Ale: 07-31-2011 at 11:04 AM.
M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 03:04 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Moulson Ale View Post
Why does the prefix say ESPN? Well you won't believe this....
Ian O'Conner has a radio show on Sunday from 10-12 a.m. On espn 1050 radio and is on espn new York
Well I am best friends with his son, who lives right down the street from me. I plan on texting him Saturday to ask his dad to support the arena during the broadcast at some point
He knows hockey somewhat, I remember he interviewed mark messier and Chris drury one time
So I am asking you what should I tell him to say during the show?
I plan on doing a listener question and he will answer...
It will be like "do you support the isles arena and why"
I will text his son in the late morning early afternoon

I will update this thread if he will do this in the show

Let's go Islanders!

Oh I almost forgot: I will try to ask if he can write on his Twitter account that he will talk about the arena vote
That's a great connection that you have, and knowing the right people is important in so many ways.

I listened to Charles Wang on Boomer and Carton, what is now, yesterday. I'll tell ya, Carton really pisses me off. He's too into himself to listen to the important details of the matter. Wang was about to say that it's not just about the Islanders, but Carton was too busy sitting on a joke, that the second there was a pause, he had to get it out and Charles Wang never got a chance to finish his thought. Then Boomer says, "Whether you're voting yes or no, get out and vote." - That pissed me off, too.

What I would tell your friend's Dad is to say everything he can to encourage Yes votes. Have him get into the team's history, how the Islanders' presence, at the very worst, will maintain current revenue. If the leave, it will be a sure loss of revenue, jobs, and businesses. Most importantly, have him tell people to VOTE YES. If people want to vote NO, they'll have to do it on their own.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 08:36 AM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

ok i just asked my friend
He usually doesn't answer his phone until the afternoon
we shall see...

Old
07-30-2011, 08:48 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
That's a great connection that you have, and knowing the right people is important in so many ways.

I listened to Charles Wang on Boomer and Carton, what is now, yesterday. I'll tell ya, Carton really pisses me off. He's too into himself to listen to the important details of the matter. Wang was about to say that it's not just about the Islanders, but Carton was too busy sitting on a joke, that the second there was a pause, he had to get it out and Charles Wang never got a chance to finish his thought. Then Boomer says, "Whether you're voting yes or no, get out and vote." - That pissed me off, too.

What I would tell your friend's Dad is to say everything he can to encourage Yes votes. Have him get into the team's history, how the Islanders' presence, at the very worst, will maintain current revenue. If the leave, it will be a sure loss of revenue, jobs, and businesses. Most importantly, have him tell people to VOTE YES. If people want to vote NO, they'll have to do it on their own.
that got to me too...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 08:50 AM
StrongIslanders90

What I would tell your friend's Dad is to say everything he can to encourage Yes votes. Have him get into the team's history, how the Islanders' presence, at the very worst, will maintain current revenue. If the leave, it will be a sure loss of revenue, jobs, and businesses. Most importantly, have him tell people to VOTE YES. If people want to vote NO, they'll have to do it on their own.[/QUOTE]

Also tell him that Jacabs Stance is pure politics....and This man knows nothing....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 11:02 AM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

Ok I texted my friend to tell his dad to do a short segment on the Islanders supporting vote yes
I would promise to email the details to support it if he accepts

Old
07-30-2011, 11:48 AM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

YES!
Right now Ian is at Giants camp but my friend said he will tell his dad about supporting vote yes!
One step closer!

Old
07-30-2011, 12:23 PM
drive45

maybe give him some kind of brief synopsis of this:

1) the average tax increase of $58 that is being bandied about by Coliseum opponents is a worst case scenario. That would be the amount if not one single ticket to a hockey game, concert or circus, not one single hot-dog, beer, or t-shirt were sold. In reality, the amount will probably be about $14

2) Coliseum opponents never talk about the costs (i.e. NECESSARY TAX INCREASES) of letting the Coliseum go to waste. The Coliseum is county property. Letting it go to seed is tantamount to taking a valuable county asset and throwing it down the toilet. How is that revenue going to be replaced? What about all the lost jobs and the taxes that they generate? Not just the people employed by the Coliseum directly, but also everybody who works in nearby sportsbars and restaurants and whatnot.

An abandonned arena is a prescription for urban blight. If you're going to vote 'no', you might as well start bussing in the prostitutes and drug dealers yourself. The Coliseum Opponents try to pooh-pooh this by saying that Wang is bluffing, but you only have to look around to know that change is necessary. Their main spokesperson, a Mr Jacobs, was telling sports commentator Mike Francesa on WFAN that he thought PSLs would be a good way to raise money for an arena! What planet are these people from? (That interview, along with the one with Wang and the one with Mangano are on WFAN's website. Please listen to them and then tell me who sounds like they make sense.) Wang might not move any further than Queens, but he will not stay in Nassau County if the referendum fails to pass.

I see that one of the posters above is smart because he or she managed to read a book, "Field of Schemes", that argues that taxpayer funded sports arenas are not a good deal for the taxpayer. This is obviously a broad generalization. Sometimes, indeed, they are a ripoff, like what GW Bush managed to do with the Texas Rangers park. But sometimes they are great successes! What about the minor-league baseball park that Giuliani built in Coney Island? It has played a great role in revitalizing the area! What about the Green Bay Packers? The entire organization is run by the city of Green Bay! The point is that you have to look at the particular merits of the proposal that is on the table. 11.5% of ALL REVENUE goes to the county. (Not just hockey, not just profits; all revenue, naming rights and everything) That sounds like a pretty good deal, especially when one considers that the Coliseum opponents haven't proposed anything remotely concrete as to what to do with the 40 year old building. To use a football analogy, you can't win by punting on every possession. Now it's time to actually do something!

3) we hear from some libertarian types that funding the construction of the Coliseum is outside of the legitimate purview of government. These are the same people that don't want government to pay for roads, Police, or Firefighters. They fail to mention that Wang offered to build an arena with his own money, but was turned down for the kind of zoning he needed to make it profitable. Years ago former owner Howard Milstein had already proposed to develop the Coliseum site with his own money, but was opposed by the county. So now we have this deal and it won't be there forever, most likely it won't be there after 8/1/11.

The NFL's Giants and Jets built a stadium with government bonds, so did MLB's Yankees and Mets. MSG and the Barclay Center are getting generous tax breaks. Is this because the taxpayers of NJ and NYC are so much less intelligent than the ones in Nassau County? Is it because they failed to read some book that would have smartened them up a bit? No it's because they understand the importance of investing in progress and prosperity for the future!

4) VOTE YES!!!

drive45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 01:18 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
YES!
Right now Ian is at Giants camp but my friend said he will tell his dad about supporting vote yes!
One step closer!
Really, it's good to see fans who care this much. Anyone's knowledge of the game is not nearly as important as their love for the team. So in the common fighting over who knows what, it really boils down to how much you care.

Way to go Moulson! You're doing your part. Keep it up!

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 01:41 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

OK I'm going to start creating the list, so post in the most logical order of things to say that help support Vote Yes or what would happen if The vote didn't pass

Old
07-30-2011, 02:11 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

OK another update:
Mr. O'Conner will not be home until 6, so by then the list should be completed for email
I also will write to put on his twitter account a message saying: Talking on my radio show about #isles as well #VoteYesAug1

Old
07-30-2011, 02:14 PM
13th Floor

I think it would be a good idea to bring up some other cities that have lost a pro team and the resulting effect it has had. Here in an excerpt from an article about Seattle losing the Sonics:

Quote:
When the city sold out for $45 million, not only did they sellout the Sonics fans but they also sold out the businesses around KeyArena. KeyArena management has yet to replace losing those 41 Sonics home games plus any possible playoff games.

The Key Arena also lost the 36 Seattle Thunderbirds home games to the City of Kent. I am sure the restaurants and businesses around ShoWare Center are enjoying the increase in business when the T-Birds are in town.

Looking over the events at KeyArena during the same time period of the last NBA season, it held only 47 events. Most were Seattle University basketball games that brought in crowds of about 3,500-4,000 (Portland and UW games had higher attendance). Plus, five of those 47 events were free public ice skating. I doubt those events brought in the same crowds as Sonics' games.

The NBA won't come back to Seattle until there is funding for a new arena or the remodel of Key Arena. Funding was not approved by the state legislature and so was gone any chance at Bennett's $30 million.
http://bonneylake-sumner.patch.com/b...ing-the-sonics

I did a very quick search on google, but I'm sure the sports fans on here know of some good articles that may articulate this better, especially if we can bring some hard numbers.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 02:40 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

ok i updated the list

Old
07-30-2011, 02:57 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

Can someone clarify for me how much tax we will pay a year with and without the arena again? just to clarify...

Old
07-30-2011, 03:40 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

Guys I have an hour and a half to email this list, am I missing anything?

Old
07-30-2011, 03:52 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

Quick Question about the tax....

If the deal goes through, is it $13.80 a year or $58 a year to support the arena per household?

Old
07-30-2011, 04:03 PM
HyeDray

It is difficult to say what the tax burden would be with/without the arena and/or the Isles.

You have to be careful. Throwing "loose" numbers around is not right.

That said — should the Islanders leave a best case scenario would be as follows:
1) Arena would likely be shuttered and 2,000+ will lose their job (full and part-time)

2) Marriott Hotel, and other business will lose SIGNIFICANT revenue. There is now little need for the Marriott for many reasons. While some businesses may survive, the fact is some wont, and most will have to reduce their staff's to keep themselves open.

3) Taxes WILL INCREASE, and likely will increase MORE then if the arena is built.

Why? Because there is now a reduction or elimination in sales of everything from tickets to events, parking, concessions, etc — which all had Nassau County Sales Tax associated with it. All of those dollars are now GONE. In addition, the businesses around the arena with less sales have less sales tax dollars funneling into the County. Therefore, the money has to come from somewhere. New taxes.

4) The further "deconstruction" of Long Island. The idea of suburbia is nice but it is a utopia that the last bastion of the boomers are trying to cling too — and it just can't and does not exist. With the departure of the Islanders, it will further prove that Long Island is going to become similar to upstate New York — a former economic strength left in ruin. (Upstate was once a manufacturing mecca. All of those jobs are gone. Corporations shipped those jobs to China, etc)

As for why to vote YES.
1) Voting YES would not be the end game, but the beginning. It would allow the County legislature to properly debate and negotiate the issue. Dems are "against it" and are acting very poorly, but I think they can also be worked to accept certain aspects of it, and perhaps even strengthen it. (Example: I dont like that the revenue that is coming in from Charles Wang is not going into a GUARANTEED fund to offset the cost of the debt service for the bond — if that were changed, I think you would make this proposal stronger)

2) Voting YES gives everyone more time. It would add about 6 months to hammer this out in the legislature, and present NIFA with something they MUST approve.

3) Voting YES keeps not just the Isles here, but creates an opportunity to see top acts and events return to Long Island.

4) Voting YES MAY NOT increase the taxes of an County Resident IF....and I want to stress IF, certain aspects of the plan are modified. But without a YES vote, it wont get that far.

The way I would argue this — A YES vote keeps the options open, and the possibility open of not just a new arena, but to keep the conversation going, and work out the differences that exist to make a stronger proposal to NIFA. It needs to be made into an offer that no politician can refuse.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 04:06 PM
islesfan3991

vCash: 50
I think it's $13.80 per year. I think that's what Mangano said.

islesfan3991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 04:08 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
It is difficult to say what the tax burden would be with/without the arena and/or the Isles.

You have to be careful. Throwing "loose" numbers around is not right.

That said — should the Islanders leave a best case scenario would be as follows:
1) Arena would likely be shuttered and 2,000+ will lose their job (full and part-time)

2) Marriott Hotel, and other business will lose SIGNIFICANT revenue. There is now little need for the Marriott for many reasons. While some businesses may survive, the fact is some wont, and most will have to reduce their staff's to keep themselves open.

3) Taxes WILL INCREASE, and likely will increase MORE then if the arena is built.

Why? Because there is now a reduction or elimination in sales of everything from tickets to events, parking, concessions, etc — which all had Nassau County Sales Tax associated with it. All of those dollars are now GONE. In addition, the businesses around the arena with less sales have less sales tax dollars funneling into the County. Therefore, the money has to come from somewhere. New taxes.

4) The further "deconstruction" of Long Island. The idea of suburbia is nice but it is a utopia that the last bastion of the boomers are trying to cling too — and it just can't and does not exist. With the departure of the Islanders, it will further prove that Long Island is going to become similar to upstate New York — a former economic strength left in ruin. (Upstate was once a manufacturing mecca. All of those jobs are gone. Corporations shipped those jobs to China, etc)

As for why to vote YES.
1) Voting YES would not be the end game, but the beginning. It would allow the County legislature to properly debate and negotiate the issue. Dems are "against it" and are acting very poorly, but I think they can also be worked to accept certain aspects of it, and perhaps even strengthen it. (Example: I dont like that the revenue that is coming in from Charles Wang is not going into a GUARANTEED fund to offset the cost of the debt service for the bond — if that were changed, I think you would make this proposal stronger)

2) Voting YES gives everyone more time. It would add about 6 months to hammer this out in the legislature, and present NIFA with something they MUST approve.

3) Voting YES keeps not just the Isles here, but creates an opportunity to see top acts and events return to Long Island.

4) Voting YES MAY NOT increase the taxes of an County Resident IF....and I want to stress IF, certain aspects of the plan are modified. But without a YES vote, it wont get that far.

The way I would argue this — A YES vote keeps the options open, and the possibility open of not just a new arena, but to keep the conversation going, and work out the differences that exist to make a stronger proposal to NIFA. It needs to be made into an offer that no politician can refuse.
Thanks for the input! I shall use this in the email....

Old
07-30-2011, 04:09 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

i've heard that it's actually 58 that will show up on your tax bill, but 44.20 of that $ will go towards other things because of the 14million that Wangchung is kicking in per year.

So in theory you pay the 58 dollars, and that $ will be divvied up with 13.80 going to the NVMC debt service & 44.20 going to fix the traffic lights and pay the cops and fix the museums on museum row etc...

I could be wrong though.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 04:14 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

From what I've heard, 58 is the worst case scenario, with the 13.80 being the most likely situation. I've also read & heard Wang say any cent over the $350 million spent on the new arena will be paid for by the Islanders out of pocket.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 05:23 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

What Ian O'Conner will say on his radio show

I wrote this lengthy thing out but you can correct/fix anything
Thank you to the people who posted on the "Plan" thread for giving me the info to put in. Your words will be heard

Supporting the August 1st Referendum: VOTE YES!

Use this info for the radio show to support the August 1st vote

It has been known that the Isles have needed a new arena for quite awhile. After the failed Lighthouse project, Charles Wang and Ed Mangano came up with a plan for a new arena and a minor league ballpark that will cost $400 million to build. The Islanders have been spreading the word around to vote yes, but voters thinking it will be an overwhelming yes should not take it for granted.
Jay Jacobs, the Democrat leading the charge against the referendum, has not helped his case. Jacobs has not stated an alternative or counter proposal to this referendum as he has been opposing it from the start. In a WFAN interview with Mike Francesca, he made a ridiculous claim that PSL’s (private seat licenses) were used to pay for the New Meadowland’s stadium, which is completely false. He then went on to say the Isles should use PSL’s to pay for the arena, which is impossible in this county (the only NHL team that offers PSL’s are the Maple Leafs).
So why should you vote yes? Here are the many reasons why to vote yes:
There will be many job opportunities if this goes through, such as 1,500 construction jobs.

Taxpayers per household will only need to pay, in the worst case scenario, $58 per year for the next 30 years

Events (around 120 of them including 41 Islanders games, concerts, circuses, and shows) create most of revenue in the county

Businesses, jobs and revenue will be affected or lost if the vote is not past. 2000+ jobs, full time and part time, could be at the risk of shutting down if it is not passed.

Taxes WILL INCREASE, and likely will increase MORE than if the arena is built.

The Devils and Rangers, the Isles’ two biggest rivals, have stated their support for the referendum to pass and so has NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman

Charities will be affected as they will not have support from the Islanders, such as the Red Cross Association

People MUST get out to vote yes; if you don't live in the county or are not registered please spread the word to friends and family in that area to vote yes

For more information, see Newsday’s editorial supporting “Vote Yes”, Chris Botta’s Islanderspointblank.com, or WFAN’s interview with Jay Jacobs

Also, make sure to check where the polls are in Nassau County by logging on to islanders.nhl.com

Now even if the vote goes through, the deal is not set in stone. Voting YES would not be the end game, but the beginning. It would allow the County legislature to properly debate and negotiate the issue. Democrats are "against it" and are acting very poorly, but I think they can also be worked to accept certain aspects of it, and perhaps even strengthen it. Voting YES gives more time to negotiate the details with NIFA (Nassau Interim Finance Authority). A YES vote keeps the options open. One of the options could be negotiating a very slight, if not a zero, tax increase. But without a YES vote, it will not get that far. Now remember do NOT take this vote for granted. You must go out to vote yes. That is the key. Once again, if you do not live in Nassau County or are not registered please get people you know to vote yes for you, whether it is a family member or friend who lives in Nassau County. This new arena is not just for the Islanders, it is for the concerts, shows, events and businesses. Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum is the heart and soul of Nassau County and by voting yes, you are doing your part to help.

Last edited by M Moulson Ale: 07-30-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old
07-30-2011, 05:53 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

does the thing i wrote need any corrections?

Old
07-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Fairenough

Quote:
does the thing i wrote need any corrections?
- $58 is what will show up on the tax bill. But due to the revenue-sharing (minimum of $14M/year or 11.5% of all revenues), it will be diminished to $13.80/year (worst-case scenario).

- If the Coliseum is taken down, it will cost $16/year to the taxpayers (to cover for loss of revenues, ect)

- Any overruns will be covered by Wang

- $1.46 of economic activity for every dollar put in the Coliseum (excluding the ripple effects...)

- All of those numbers come from an independent firm (Camoin Associates).

Some points that MUST be made.

Fairenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 06:31 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenough View Post
- $58 is what will show up on the tax bill. But due to the revenue-sharing (minimum of $14M/year or 11.5% of all revenues), it will be diminished to $13.80/year (worst-case scenario).

- If the Coliseum is taken down, it will cost $16/year to the taxpayers (to cover for loss of revenues, ect)

- Any overruns will be covered by Wang

- $1.46 of economic activity for every dollar put in the Coliseum (excluding the ripple effects...)

- All of those numbers come from an independent firm (Camoin Associates).

Some points that MUST be made.
What do you mean by the fourth statement