HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Versus & College Hockey

Old
07-26-2011, 01:16 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

vCash: 500
Versus & College Hockey

I didn't know where to stick this and I figured it was new thread worthy.

Quote:
Versus may be interested in college hockey TV package

There could be a national college hockey package coming to Versus this season.

Numerous sources have indicated that Versus is discussing the possibility of televising regular-season college hockey games, beginning in January. What conferences would be involved, or what night the games would be shown (either Friday or Saturday) is unclear right now. Versus, part of the NBC Sports Group, is the cable home of the NHL. A few months ago, the NBC Sports Group signed a 10-year deal to keep the NHL on NBC and Versus.

A Versus spokesman declined comment.

If this happens, it would be great news for college hockey. Regular-season national games have aired on CBS Sports Network (formerly CBS College Sports) and ESPNU. ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU have televised NCAA tournament games.
It would be nice to see some more college hockey games on TV, especially with some of the prospects we have at that level.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

It'd also be cool to see RMU play.

Randy Butternubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 10:28 PM
LeTANGled58

I would love this. I always liked college hockey but could never really watch it, and get into it! this is a main reason why i like the NHL on Versus. ESPN wouldn't do this. I love how much Versus cares about hockey!

LeTANGled58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:08 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTANGled58 View Post
I would love this. I always liked college hockey but could never really watch it, and get into it! this is a main reason why i like the NHL on Versus. ESPN wouldn't do this. I love how much Versus cares about hockey!
To be fair if it weren't for ESPN showing the frozen four tourney then there'd be 0 NCAA games available each year, barring channels specifically provide them, that's you CBSSPORTS49476

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:11 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
To be fair if it weren't for ESPN showing the frozen four tourney then there'd be 0 NCAA games available each year, barring channels specifically provide them, that's you CBSSPORTS49476
I have Verizon. I get that CBS channel, and about 2-3 more that show college hockey. But another NCAA channel would be great.

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 11:19 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
I have Verizon. I get that CBS channel, and about 2-3 more that show college hockey. But another NCAA channel would be great.
Yeah with comcast I just get to see their listing, but without any extra packages or specifically ordering them, I'm stuck with only the frozen four games

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 12:36 AM
Lamar Latrell

Attending a college hockey game is very cool. Great atmosphere. Watching it on TV is another story.

Lamar Latrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 12:41 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
That's awesome

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 12:45 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Latrell View Post
Attending a college hockey game is very cool. Great atmosphere. Watching it on TV is another story.
Agreed.

When I watch Ohio State on the BTN, they use students for the broadcasts. Brutal....

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

I'd definitely love to see more college hockey on TV. Does anyone know if The NHL Network covers any college or junior games? I just got that channel in my cable package when I move. I saw they showed the Memorial Cup but I'm not so sure how extensive they cover the regular season.

Hans Rutherford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 08:23 PM
john g

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
I'd definitely love to see more college hockey on TV. Does anyone know if The NHL Network covers any college or junior games? I just got that channel in my cable package when I move. I saw they showed the Memorial Cup but I'm not so sure how extensive they cover the regular season.
NHL network shows some games from either the night before or a week after. Not ideal but it's better than nothing. On Comcast there's a CBS channel (listed as CBSSD here) that show's games at least on Friday nights and sometimes both Fri/Sat. Also there's FCSP, FCSA, and FCSC listings on Comcast that show games both Friday and Saturday, one CCHA and one WCHA game per night.

john g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 10:21 AM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by john g View Post
NHL network shows some games from either the night before or a week after. Not ideal but it's better than nothing. On Comcast there's a CBS channel (listed as CBSSD here) that show's games at least on Friday nights and sometimes both Fri/Sat. Also there's FCSP, FCSA, and FCSC listings on Comcast that show games both Friday and Saturday, one CCHA and one WCHA game per night.
Thanks Jon. I think I got acouple of those channels as well. I'm definitely going to check out some more college hockey if I can. Also can't wait for Penn State's new program to kick in, I'm looking forward to going to some of those games as well.

Hans Rutherford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 05:30 PM
SgtJoseph

Great to hear this ! Lots of folks do not like Versus etc, but i have noticed more and more that the Versus channel is really trying their best to promote the NHL and hockey in general....They have improved a lot over the last few years and i give em credit for it !.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 09:01 PM
Clarence Beeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
That's 100% false. There is actually quite a bit of college hockey that is televised. You just have to know where to look. Some of those locations are covered in this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by john g View Post
Right on the money with this. All of those channels cover a good number of games, but there's actually a lot more than that. We have Direct and have the "sports pack" (or whatever they call it), which gives you every RSN nationwide (e.g. FSN Detroit, FSN Northwest, FSN Minnesota, FSN North, Altitude, MASN, etc.) and the CBSSports channel that you mentioned, and they each have at least one game on every single weekend. In addition, and this is the big one that hasn't been mentioned, Big Ten Network started carrying games two years ago (only a few that year, but quite a few more this past season - nine, to be exact), and with the start of the Big Ten conference play in hockey you can guarantee that there will be A LOT more games televised on BTN (I can't recall off the top of my head the number of games they've committed to air just in the first season, but it was a pretty sizable number, if I remember correctly.

As far as Versus getting involved in this, I suppose it's one of those things that is good because it gets more exposure to fans in general. I just worry that Versus is going to try way too hard to make the college game fit their corporate model, which just isn't going work out well if they do.

Clarence Beeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 09:14 PM
SterlingBennett
Duchess Of Wingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Great to hear this ! Lots of folks do not like Versus etc, but i have noticed more and more that the Versus channel is really trying their best to promote the NHL and hockey in general....They have improved a lot over the last few years and i give em credit for it !.
My only gripe with VS has been with their announcers and commintators. The majority of them are just bland morons. Also I wish they covered more games, via doing taped delays or having a 2nd channel like VS2. I hope eventually they expand so that they do have a 2nd channel. But I am with you they have improved over the years... Still give me headaches from time to time... But far less often than in the past.

SterlingBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 10:52 PM
SterlingBennett
Duchess Of Wingers

When the winter classic happens it won't be called versus anymore. NBC Sports will be the channel after that.

SterlingBennett is offline   Reply With Quote