HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Washington Capitals 2011-12 Projections

Old
08-09-2011, 07:24 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
I am sure this has been discussed already, but I am really getting tired of reading quotes like this:

“Last year — this never got out — but he (Schultz) had an illness all summer long, so there was no training for him,” Boudreau said.

No more excuses.
training and health are definate factors. what would you have preferred that he say?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:36 PM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
training and health are definate factors. what would you have preferred that he say?
My only wish is that they wouldn't release this stuff way after the fact. Schultz gets more of a pass from me if this is true and I know about it going into October. Nearly a year later? Sounds like excuses, even if it's not.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:23 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
How about say it when its happening? Hey the guy has mono, or sifilis, or IBS, or bird flu. I can understand keeping an injury to Green during a playoff run under wraps, but if Shultz had a case of the creepin crud during training camp, just say it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
My only wish is that they wouldn't release this stuff way after the fact. Schultz gets more of a pass from me if this is true and I know about it going into October. Nearly a year later? Sounds like excuses, even if it's not.
+1

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:00 PM
txpd

Quote:
How about say it when its happening? Hey the guy has mono, or sifilis, or IBS, or bird flu. I can understand keeping an injury to Green during a playoff run under wraps, but if Shultz had a case of the creepin crud during training camp, just say it.
they did. schultz had mono during the off season. he lost significant weight and was not able to train.

this is from katie, "After a breakout 2009-10 season, the last thing Jeff Schultz anticipated dealing with this summer was a serious illness. But upon returning home to Calgary in May, Schultz was diagnosed with mononucleosis.

The big, 24-year-old defenseman was bed ridden for roughly four weeks and lost about 25 pounds..."

what they didnt do was reprise this as the issue that it might have been with weakly updates.

Old
08-10-2011, 07:35 AM
WetHog

Well I stand corrected. I am not afraid to admit when I am wrong. Just eager to see less talk and more/better results is all.

Old
08-10-2011, 07:59 AM
txpd

i think you need to realize that the media wants them to talk about things that people will read about. no comment does not get the capitals in the newspaper. it does not keep the team top of mind.

so, katie is grilling boudreau about his plans. she asks if erskine was the 7 and going to sit much of the season when the d is healthy. he's not going to agree with that. he pushes back on johnny erskine and how good he was last season. katie responds with, oh, then schultz has fallen to 7? now boudreau has to talk up schultz. he says schultz was facing an uphill battle all season because of the illness and the result of it.

sometimes it seems like we expect boudreau to go negative and rip his players or shut up.

Old
08-10-2011, 08:31 AM
WetHog

Quote:
sometimes it seems like we expect boudreau to go negative and rip his players or shut up.
I don't expect BB's to do that. I expect him to improve over last year. And I understand what you are saying about BB's getting grilled by Katie, just after hearing injury reports on players like Green after the fact I saw that one about Shultz and rolled my eyes. Seeing how you put it into context I understand why he said it, just at the time I first read it it irked me.

Old
08-10-2011, 11:17 AM
txpd

hockey injury reports come after the fact unless they just cant be hidden. its the way the sport works. so far as i know they have never said exactly what hand damage knuble suffered.

my view is that they are not going to cover for a play with an injury claim unless its accurate. if they were to cover for a player with a cover story like that, it can create real contract problems.

after a while you start to learn what is going on by reading deeply between the lines. i am starting to understand their code a bit.

Last edited by txpd: 08-10-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old
08-10-2011, 11:21 AM
LetsGoBears

Wait…wasn't it reported that he did have Mono over the summer? Going to look into this because I could have swore it was released.

Yeah, I thought so.
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cap...-10-seaso.html

Last edited by LetsGoBears: 08-10-2011 at 11:35 AM.
LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:25 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
I am sure this has been discussed already, but I am really getting tired of reading quotes like this:

“Last year — this never got out — but he (Schultz) had an illness all summer long, so there was no training for him,” Boudreau said.

No more excuses.
So Schultz's failure to use his size, be physical and his poor positioning is due to the illness.

Then his illness must be terminal.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:30 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBears View Post
Wait…wasn't it reported that he did have Mono over the summer? Going to look into this because I could have swore it was released.
yes. i quoted the story in post #54. i think what boudreau was getting at was that schultz never recovered from the weight loss last season and the illness and lack of off season training effected his play all season. it was talked about pre camp that he was sick and lost 25lbs. it was not mentioned as a factor after that, though

Old
08-10-2011, 11:37 AM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
yes. i quoted the story in post #54. i think what boudreau was getting at was that schultz never recovered from the weight loss last season and the illness and lack of off season training effected his play all season. it was talked about pre camp that he was sick and lost 25lbs. it was not mentioned as a factor after that, though
Common sense would say it's a huge factor. That much lost time and weight is massive for a athlete.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:57 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBears View Post
Common sense would say it's a huge factor. That much lost time and weight is massive for a athlete.
except that player is not supposed to be cut slack. claiming he had a legit issue only means that the team intends to keep him.

Old
08-16-2011, 11:42 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Line Combos / Projections For Next Year

Just wondering what you guys think / want the lines to look like next year along with projections for each player. Here's mine:

Ovechkin (53g 58a 111p) - Johansson (24g 43a 67p) - Knuble (26g 23a 49p)

Semin (36g 41a 77p) - Backstrom (28g 65a 93p) - Brouwer (20g 21a 41p)

Eakin (19g 20a 39p) - Laich (22g 29a 51p) - Ward (17g 21a 38p)

Chimera (12g 10a 22p) - Halpern (11g 14a 25p) - Hendricks (8g 10a 18p)

Hamrlik (7g 27a 34p) - Green (17g 51a 68p)

Alzner (3g 11a 14p) - Carlson (10g 31a 41p)

Erskine (2g 7a 9p) - Wideman (9g 33a 42p)

Vokoun (34W .926 sv %)
Neuvirth (17W .915 sv %)
Holtby (6W .921 sv %)

Record : 57-17-8 1st place in East

I really think the offense is better off with Backstrom and ovechkin split up. Johansson was our best player in the playoffs and watching those games you could see that his speed created time and space, which helps OV. I think he will have a great year. Also I think eakin will make the team out of camp and form a great 3rd line with ward and Laich. Speed, grit, and tenacity. That line would be awesome. Also I like him in that spot instead of chimera because we need someone that can finish and create some offense, and eakin can do that. Please post your guys combos / projections and/or comment on mine. Thanks

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 11:45 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

^ That adds up to 322 goals but those are my predictions if everyone plays 82 games, which obviously won't happen.

Old
08-17-2011, 01:09 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Mystlyfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 01:36 AM
NeilYoung

my lines will probably seem weird I like them but here goes

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Brouwer
Semin-Johansson-Knuble
Chimera-Laich-Ward
Hendricks-Halpern-Beagle

Hamrlik-Green
Alzner-Carlson
Schultz/Erskine-Wideman

Vokoun
Neuvy

No predictions, well one actually it'll be a lot less scoring that the first one posted

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 03:57 AM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps4cup View Post
I really think the offense is better off with Backstrom and ovechkin split up. Johansson was our best player in the playoffs and watching those games you could see that his speed created time and space, which helps OV. I think he will have a great year. Also I think eakin will make the team out of camp and form a great 3rd line with ward and Laich. Speed, grit, and tenacity. That line would be awesome. Also I like him in that spot instead of chimera because we need someone that can finish and create some offense, and eakin can do that. Please post your guys combos / projections and/or comment on mine. Thanks
You might think that our offense is better with 8 and 19 split up because the top line wasn't working last season, and both players struggled. However, if it starts to gel again, there is no way you split them up. Mojo is not 1C material and is not ready for 1st line minutes. Not to mention that Ovi - Mojo line would be defensively horrible.

Eakin will not make the team since we have enough top 9 forwards. If anyone makes the team out of camp it's Sjogren, because he can play 4th line.

Another misconception you seem to have is that Mojo was our best player these playoffs. This is absurd. Our best player was Ovi. Johansson was great vs the Rangers, but he had just 2A in 4 games vs Tampa with a +/- of -5. That's worse than for example Semin, who by popular belief "disappeared".

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 06:04 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
my lines will probably seem weird I like them but here goes

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Brouwer
Semin-Johansson-Knuble
Chimera-Laich-Ward
Hendricks-Halpern-Beagle

Hamrlik-Green
Alzner-Carlson
Schultz/Erskine-Wideman

Vokoun
Neuvy

No predictions, well one actually it'll be a lot less scoring that the first one posted
Doesn't seem weird to me at all. I agree with 100% of your bottom 6, and your D and G set-up. Only change I would have is that I think it's fairly settled that Semin is a RW at this point. Accordingly, one of Knuble or Brouwer needs to play LW. Brouwer is the obvious fit. So my top 6 looks like this:

Ovi - Backstrom - Knuble
Brouwer - MaJo - Semin

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 06:51 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Top six looks alright for numbers, but the bottom-six production seems way too high to me.

I would hope to see Backstrom knocking on 95 points and Ovechkin topping 110, but I'd settle for less after this past season. Small steps. I doubt the pair is separated for too much of the season, personally.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 07:20 AM
txpd

line by line there is one player incorrectly placed. johansson will get some 1st line time, but he's not going to be the primary 1st line center. backstrom will be getting those minutes. semin, as has been pointed out, is a RW as long as ovechkin is a LW. as a RW semin's ice time is based on knuble's short shifts rather than ov's long one's.

eakin is not going to make the team at his age with a healthy group. the caps signed sjogren for that purpose. eakin will get some call up time. sjogren won't score 10 goals even as a home run. the ice time wont be there for that and we will see him more on the 4th line than the 3rd. finally chimera will be up on the 3rd line and beagle will very likely be a spare nhl roster forward.

just my 2cents

Old
08-17-2011, 08:20 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Its difficult to predict lines for next "year". We should focus on game 1. If we win, its for game 2 as well. If we lose, the lines will change. I notice Sarge is missing from the OP lineup. That's not going to happen; think and want are 2 different lineups.

I am still going with Laich at 2C for game 1 - pushing all in.

Ovi Nick Knuble
Brow Laich Semin
Chimp Marcus Ward
Sjogren Halpern Hendy
Beagle King

We didn't bring in Sjogren to watch - Beagle gets squeezed.

Sarge Green | Hammer Wideman | Alzner Carlson = 20*6 = even out the ice time as much as possible.

Erskine Collins McNeill Orlov

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 08:37 AM
caps4cup
Dynasty

So more like this?

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Knuble
Brouwer-Johansson-Semin
Chimera-Laich-Ward
Hendricks-Halpern-Sjogren

And I think eakin really could surprise us and make the team and be a good energy guy with some scoring touch.
Also I see know way Laich is the 2C. He isn't offensive enough to fill that role. He's fine as a 2LW but if he's playing center he's much better off as the 3C with he and ward as the anchors in a gritty shutdown line that can chip in offensively.

@ Brave Sir

Idc about the stats. Johansson was our best player in the playoffs. The last couple days I watched the first 2 lightning games on NHL Network. He was the only one on the team that moved his feet all the time. And more importantly, he just had so much more energy than everyone else. Everytime he touched the puck something happened, and if he didn't have it he'd fly into the offensive zone down the wing. IMO he was clearly our best player in the playoffs. I'm really excited to see him play again and think he will be that 2C that we've been looking for in years past.

Old
08-17-2011, 08:42 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Would Laich at 3C be the highest paid in the league? He must be near the top of the list. If so, that tells me its less likely to happen. If he doesn't have offense to be on 2, what would that do to the 3rd line.

That stone hands line would make for some extra entertainment in the long preseason.

Fact is, he has enough offense to hang on 2 and has for many years now. Moving to C doesnt diminish his offensive skills.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Millhaus

I feel Ovechkin's and Johansson's more north/south speed games compliment each other better than Backstrom's and Semin's more east/west shifty games.

I also don't think Knuble can keep up with Ovechkin and Johansson when they are on a line together so Brouwer is a better fit with those two with Knuble being given more time to get where he needs to go while Semin and Backstrom play with the puck.

So if it were me I would like to see Ovechkin-Johansson-Brouwer and Semin-Backstrom-Knuble.

That being said I completely agree that Boudreau sees Semin as a right winger now, even though IMO he is a better player on the left, so I don't see that happening.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote