HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hurray Jose!

Old
07-23-2011, 03:32 AM
nhlfan9191

vCash: 500
Hurray Jose!

Just wondering what everyones thoughts were on the new Florida goalie. Three of his past four seasons have been very strong. Can a goalie at Clemmenson's level really be a fall back if Theodore is inconsistent and struggling like he has in the past? Is Markstrom ready to step in?

nhlfan9191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 05:52 AM
Panthers are Red
Why so sad?

I would say that it is going to be a very close call on which one starts as no.1. Obviously Theodore has much more experience, played a lot more games in the NHL and been to the playoffs multiple times. However, if you look at their save % over recent seasons Clemmensen has been ahead 2 out of three years. (.917, .912, .911 vs .900, .911, .916) Of course they have been playing for different teams so a direct comparison on that alone isn't accurate. I reckon it will come down to form and they will share starting duties throughout the season.

Markstrom is a bit of an uncertainty at the moment, he has great potential and we all see him as being a permanent fixture in the team for a long time. However, he is currently recovering from knee surgery so we don't know how he will be performing at the start of the season so he will most likely spend a considerable amount of time in the AHL.

Panthers are Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 06:02 AM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Just wondering what everyones thoughts were on the new Florida goalie. Three of his past four seasons have been very strong. Can a goalie at Clemmenson's level really be a fall back if Theodore is inconsistent and struggling like he has in the past? Is Markstrom ready to step in?
Theo has something to prove which is a good thing. So does Clemmer. Both of these guys will be playing their arses off to prove they belong in the NHL and deserve a starting spot. Most people say we are weak in net with this tandem but I have to disagree.

JP Mick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 06:08 AM
UKPanther
@GJenSports

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
Theo has something to prove which is a good thing. So does Clemmer. Both of these guys will be playing their arses off to prove they belong in the NHL and deserve a starting spot. Most people say we are weak in net with this tandem but I have to disagree.
I agree with you. I think having two goalies competing to be number one is a good thing. No room for complacency.

UKPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 07:37 AM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKPanther View Post
I agree with you. I think having two goalies competing to be number one is a good thing. No room for complacency.
That is true, but I still see it as our weakest link. I think this team would have a realistic shot at the playoffs if Vokoun returned, but with this tandem, we need a lot more things to fall into place in order for the playoffs to happen.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 07:46 AM
Panthers are Red
Why so sad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
That is true, but I still see it as our weakest link.
I agree with this. I am hoping that Markstrom will get his shot part way through the season.

Old
07-23-2011, 09:22 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
That is true, but I still see it as our weakest link. I think this team would have a realistic shot at the playoffs if Vokoun returned, but with this tandem, we need a lot more things to fall into place in order for the playoffs to happen.
Exactly. Look Clemmer nice as he is, can not carry a team to the playoffs, and is one of the worst if not worst shootout guy i have personally witnessed, And those points will make or break an 8th place spot.

Jose will have to be it and it may work. Thats what we got after the Vokie thing.

adam graves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 11:03 AM
FlaPnthrsPunk
#CatsAreComing

Theodore will no doubt be the starter as he's been in that role throughout most of his career. I hope the success that he's had over the past few seasons continues here. If not, Clemmensen could see split time with him and I could see it being a decent tandem. Either way, if we're going to even think of postseason, they're either going to have to steal many games as Vokoun did or the offense will have to score say four+ goals almost every game to secure wins 60% of the time. I'd expect to see Markstrom get some games in if there are injuries or closer to the end of the season if we're not in the running for a playoff spot to gain some experience.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 11:27 AM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers are Red View Post
I agree with this. I am hoping that Markstrom will get his shot part way through the season.
People keep forgetting that our team has the strongest defense in the SE this year and possibly the best in franchise history.

That in itself should have a huge decrease in goals against and makes up for vokouns loss.

PanthersHockey1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPnthrsPunk View Post
Theodore will no doubt be the starter as he's been in that role throughout most of his career. I hope the success that he's had over the past few seasons continues here. If not, Clemmensen could see split time with him and I could see it being a decent tandem. Either way, if we're going to even think of postseason, they're either going to have to steal many games as Vokoun did or the offense will have to score say four+ goals almost every game to secure wins 60% of the time. I'd expect to see Markstrom get some games in if there are injuries or closer to the end of the season if we're not in the running for a playoff spot to gain some experience.
Jose is a pretty good goalie and has played through much more pressure packed situations than what he may face here. I wanted Vokoun back but once he turned us down, Jose was the best available option by far. He may even turn out better. For all of the talk of him being inconsistent, so was Vokoun, letting in many terrible goals, sometimes at the worst times. And le't not forget that Anderson was the one that had the big runs while he was here when it counted the most, and Clemmer did a little fo the same. Vokoun was very good but not the picture of consistency, and when you are on a bad team and you get so many more shots on goal, it helps your save %. I stil think the right move would have been to trade Vokoun before letting Anderson go. We would have had more salary room the past few years. Now we have two reasonably paid goalies and a balanced lineup, so lets see how this works out for us. If either goalie falters, I predict Markstrom will appear in the second half of the year.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 01:36 PM
Miami Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
Can't agree more. From everything I have read about Jose, he seems fired up for this season as he has a great shot at being a number one goaltender on an up-and-coming team. He clearly wants to prove himself to the rest of the doubters in the NHL who didn't give him a bigger contract like he had hoped. That said, I still believe that goaltending is our weakest point, but we are not necessarily weak in net. Time will tell how Jose and Clemmer respond to this great opportunity.

Miami Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 02:10 PM
Erick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Exactly. Look Clemmer nice as he is, can not carry a team to the playoffs, and is one of the worst if not worst shootout guy i have personally witnessed, And those points will make or break an 8th place spot.

Jose will have to be it and it may work. Thats what we got after the Vokie thing.
Maybe we'll have a team on the ice capable of making the playoffs, without a goaltender carrying it.

That's what good teams do.

As good as Vokoun is, he never carried us to the playoffs either. Neither did Luongo.

It's a team game.

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Erick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPnthrsPunk View Post
No and no.

They won't have to steal as many games because this team is better than any team Vokoun ever played for here.

And the team won't have to score 4 goals 60% of the time to make the playoffs because the goaltending isn't that terrible.

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 02:15 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Jose played well behind Minnesota and Washington. We have a solid defense and I think Jose will be better than we're all thinking he's going to be. (And this from a guy who did not want him here.)

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 02:26 PM
snipes007

I am not overly concerned about the goaltender situation. Theodore and Vokoun have played in different systems and because of that, its difficult to compare stats side-by-side. Vokoun has played with teams that lacked offensive power, thus played a large amount of time without the lead. Opposition plays differently when they have a lead, take less risks offensively, protect the puck, kill time, etc.

Theodore has played on teams with offensive talent including the Capitals 09-10 team that led the league in goals scored. He seen teams trailing, desperate, applying pressure, pinching and he's done well against it.

Overall, they are different goaltenders and their historical roles will reversed this year. Theodore should face less shots with the depth of the Panthers D and if Dineen's puck possession style holds true.

snipes007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 03:46 PM
SQUIRM

Don't want to sound like a pessimist but I'm pretty sure goaltending is the on facet of this team that will be worse than last season.

SQUIRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 03:54 PM
nhlfan9191

I've got to be honest, I don't understand why people think clemmenson's worthy of being a starter in the NHL. He's a career back up with one good year on a stacked New Jersey team. He's definetly a top 60 goalie in the league, but he's miles away from being a top 30. I think Theodore has the potential to be a top 25 still. At his age, I can't see him being much better than that tho. If the panther's want to make the playoff's, Theodore needs to start 50 plus games and record 30 plus wins. If he can still handle that, I really like Florida's chances of making the playoff's. Don't be shocked if Markstrom gets a suprise start this year either.

Last edited by nhlfan9191: 07-23-2011 at 05:18 PM.
nhlfan9191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 04:52 PM
canucks22

I think Jose is going to have a pretty good season seeing that he really needs to prove something right now. That being said, I wouldn't expect anything different from Clemmer. Its going to be interesting to watch

canucks22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUIRM View Post
Don't want to sound like a pessimist but I'm pretty sure goaltending is the on facet of this team that will be worse than last season.
Probably, but every other facet has greatly improved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
I've got to be honest, I don't understand why people think clemmenson's worthy of being a starter in the NHL. He's a career back up with one good year on a stacked New Jersey team. He's definetly a top 60 goalie in the league, but he's miles away from being a top 30. I think Theodore has the potential to be a top 25 still. At his age, I can't see him being much better than that tho. If the panther's want to make the playoff's, Theodore needs to start 50 plus games and record 30 plus wins. If he can still handle that, I really like Florida's chances of making the playoff's. Don't be shocked if Markstrom gets a suprise start this year either.
Markstrom will play a few games this season, don't see any reason why he wouldn't be up for a few games.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 07:19 PM
flapanthersfan

you can add me to the list of people disappointed in Vokoun not returning. but of all the options this offseason to replace him - and they were pretty terrible - Theodore was easily the best one. I would have vomited if we signed Emery or Giguere to come in here and be our #1.

Theodore has been extremely erratic in his career. But at $1.5 mil he's an excellent bang-for-your-buck goalie IMO.

Theodore (from what I remember) is excellent at shootouts - btw. probably the first time ever you can say that about a Panthers netminder. Vokoun, Clemmensen, Anderson were all absolutely awful at them.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
you can add me to the list of people disappointed in Vokoun not returning. but of all the options this offseason to replace him - and they were pretty terrible - Theodore was easily the best one. I would have vomited if we signed Emery or Giguere to come in here and be our #1.

Theodore has been extremely erratic in his career. But at $1.5 mil he's an excellent bang-for-your-buck goalie IMO.

Theodore (from what I remember) is excellent at shootouts - btw. probably the first time ever you can say that about a Panthers netminder. Vokoun, Clemmensen, Anderson were all absolutely awful at them.
No he wasn't. Vokoun was actually pretty damn awesome at shootouts. It was the shooters that blew it.

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 04:08 AM
Panthers are Red
Why so sad?

I'm not sure what the rules are exactly on posting links to other sites but I read this the other day and thought it was a pretty good sum up of the situation.

Last Man Standing: How Will the Panthers' Netminders Fare?

Old
07-24-2011, 04:22 AM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
No he wasn't. Vokoun was actually pretty damn awesome at shootouts. It was the shooters that blew it.
maybe in comparison to our other goalies - but i'm pretty sure that - statistically - vokoun is pretty poor in the shootout. i remember seeing a stat once where vokoun was in the lower third in the league in shootout save %.

don't remember when it was, so maybe things changed, but i don't think so.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 08:04 AM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
maybe in comparison to our other goalies - but i'm pretty sure that - statistically - vokoun is pretty poor in the shootout. i remember seeing a stat once where vokoun was in the lower third in the league in shootout save %.

don't remember when it was, so maybe things changed, but i don't think so.
No, he wasnt in the lower third. In fact, he was 13th last year, with the majority ahead of him seeing nowhere near the same amount of ice time as Vokoun did. The year before, he die let in the most goals in the SO, which was a rarity for him. In the four years that he was a Panther, guys like Lundqvist, Luongo, Thomas, and Miller allowed more goals than him.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 11:13 AM
p9ers

Quote:
No, he wasnt in the lower third. In fact, he was 13th last year, with the majority ahead of him seeing nowhere near the same amount of ice time as Vokoun did. The year before, he die let in the most goals in the SO, which was a rarity for him. In the four years that he was a Panther, guys like Lundqvist, Luongo, Thomas, and Miller allowed more goals than him.
Here are the stats to back you up.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/shootoutstats...ieCareerTotals

p9ers is offline   Reply With Quote