HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Full scounting report on Higgins and Perezhogin

Closed Thread

Old
08-06-2004, 10:13 AM
Mike The Wall

vCash: 500
Full scounting report on Higgins and Perezhogin

for the people that have seen these kids play I would like to have a recent scounting report on them strenghts and weekness and what is their projections for the NHL, and who plays a similar game .

Thanks guys

Old
08-06-2004, 10:21 AM
CH74

Ahhh, deception. With the title i thought you posted your scouting report on them. Just have to wait a little more.

Old
08-06-2004, 01:03 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike The Wall
for the people that have seen these kids play I would like to have a recent scounting report on them strenghts and weekness and what is their projections for the NHL, and who plays a similar game .

Thanks guys

Funny I was just rewatching a Bulldogs game vs the Moose when Balej kicked the puck to his stick to score a wicked goal. I haven't seen either play live since March or feb, but I have seen them both live and on tv a good 20 times or more over the years.

Chirs Higgins- Looks like he's bulked up a lot from his draft days. Mostly he looks a lot bigger in his upper body, which should help him against the bigger stronger players in the NHL. He's a very good skater, good speed, and one of the smartest players positionally I've seen for a 20 year old. He isn't always moving his feet, insteed he uses angles, great positioning, and good speed to cover a lot of ground in the defensive zone. He is very solid in his own end, as he can play in any situation. I do consider him an offensive player first and formost. His shoot is quick and he will use it often, he's not afraid to shoot from anywhere. He also has good vision and passing skills, but I think he will be more of a goal scorer then setup man, although he can do it all. He's not a physical player, but he will take the body and can take a hit as well. I consider him our safest prospect, in that his skills and smarts should make him a full time NHLer for years, the question is more of the short term, as he still needs to adapt to the much much longer schedule of professional hockey, as any player going from a 29 game schedule to 80-100 games of playing against men will wear down the body.

I don't like to compare NHLers to prospects, it's not right, each person is his own. Some of his game reminds me of Chris Dury, skating speed shot are similar imo. Higgins just doesn't have many weaknesses, he's just so well rounded. Once he gets more experience and adapts to the longer schedule, then he's worked on his biggest weaknesses.

Alex Perezhogin- My main concern for Perezhogin is his lack of upper body strength, as he may have a tough time in the NHL along the boards. Then there's the latest stick swinging incident, which has been blown way way out of control. But it's done and now we have to see how he reacts to this.

Perezhogin is more of an offensive player, and will wow fans with his flashy moves. He's got great skating, speed and acceleration to go with his impressive stickhandling and what a shot he has. It's very quick, hard and accurate. He is a goal scorer first and foremost, as his passing skills aren't near his finishing skills. When he is in the offensive zone, he can make things happen, as he knows how to put the puck in the net. His defensive game is good, he knows where to go and what to do to tye up his man. I don't think he will be a PKer in the NHL until he gets stronger but that's just one opinion. With his speed and skating he can cover a lot of ground and be dangerous to score on the PK, so I could see him on the PK in the future.

I don't know who Perezhogin's game compares to, I don't see anyone like him.

Old
08-06-2004, 01:26 PM
Mike The Wall

Thanks Dan and also for clearing the other posts

Old
08-06-2004, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Funny I was just rewatching a Bulldogs game vs the Moose when Balej kicked the puck to his stick to score a wicked goal. I haven't seen either play live since March or feb, but I have seen them both live and on tv a good 20 times or more over the years.

Chirs Higgins- Looks like he's bulked up a lot from his draft days. Mostly he looks a lot bigger in his upper body, which should help him against the bigger stronger players in the NHL. He's a very good skater, good speed, and one of the smartest players positionally I've seen for a 20 year old. He isn't always moving his feet, insteed he uses angles, great positioning, and good speed to cover a lot of ground in the defensive zone. He is very solid in his own end, as he can play in any situation. I do consider him an offensive player first and formost. His shoot is quick and he will use it often, he's not afraid to shoot from anywhere. He also has good vision and passing skills, but I think he will be more of a goal scorer then setup man, although he can do it all. He's not a physical player, but he will take the body and can take a hit as well. I consider him our safest prospect, in that his skills and smarts should make him a full time NHLer for years, the question is more of the short term, as he still needs to adapt to the much much longer schedule of professional hockey, as any player going from a 29 game schedule to 80-100 games of playing against men will wear down the body.

I don't like to compare NHLers to prospects, it's not right, each person is his own. Some of his game reminds me of Chris Dury, skating speed shot are similar imo. Higgins just doesn't have many weaknesses, he's just so well rounded. Once he gets more experience and adapts to the longer schedule, then he's worked on his biggest weaknesses.

Alex Perezhogin- My main concern for Perezhogin is his lack of upper body strength, as he may have a tough time in the NHL along the boards. Then there's the latest stick swinging incident, which has been blown way way out of control. But it's done and now we have to see how he reacts to this.

Perezhogin is more of an offensive player, and will wow fans with his flashy moves. He's got great skating, speed and acceleration to go with his impressive stickhandling and what a shot he has. It's very quick, hard and accurate. He is a goal scorer first and foremost, as his passing skills aren't near his finishing skills. When he is in the offensive zone, he can make things happen, as he knows how to put the puck in the net. His defensive game is good, he knows where to go and what to do to tye up his man. I don't think he will be a PKer in the NHL until he gets stronger but that's just one opinion. With his speed and skating he can cover a lot of ground and be dangerous to score on the PK, so I could see him on the PK in the future.

I don't know who Perezhogin's game compares to, I don't see anyone like him.
Hey Montreal!

Just wondering, between Perezhogin and Kast...Kostitsyn, who has the better shot?

Old
08-06-2004, 01:53 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
Hey Montreal!

Just wondering, between Perezhogin and Kast...Kostitsyn, who has the better shot?

Kostitsyn maybe. His shot is very hard. Perezhogin has the quicker release imo as it would be easier if I saw them on the ice shooting at the same time. But from what I've seen of both, Kostitsyn's shot is quick and powerful. Both have very good shots. Kostitsyn gets the edge offensively, as he can make some unreal passes as well, whereas Perezhogin doesn't have the vision of Kostitsyn imo.

Old
08-06-2004, 02:25 PM
komisakick ass

And this two compare to Ryder?

Old
08-06-2004, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Kostitsyn maybe. His shot is very hard. Perezhogin has the quicker release imo as it would be easier if I saw them on the ice shooting at the same time. But from what I've seen of both, Kostitsyn's shot is quick and powerful. Both have very good shots. Kostitsyn gets the edge offensively, as he can make some unreal passes as well, whereas Perezhogin doesn't have the vision of Kostitsyn imo.
Thanks alot Dan! I also forgot to give my congratulations on becoming a mod, good for you, you deserve it and I think I speak for everyone when I say THANK YOU!...ok, enough of the warm and fuzzy stuff...

If I understand correctly, Perezhogin has more of a complete game, right?

I may be way off when I say this, but from the few games i've seen from Perezhogin, do you think an adequate comparison would be Paul Kariya, that's the first player that comes to my mind when I saw him play a few games with the Bulldogs last year, i'm not saying he's as good as Kariya or will be, i'm just saying that when I saw the game on TV, and at his last WJC, his shot release and his skating reminded me of Kariya...i'm probably way off but who cares

Old
08-06-2004, 02:48 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by komisakick ass
And this two compare to Ryder?

I wouldn't compare Ryder at 24 to Perezhogin at 20 and Kostitsyn at 19, so if you go back to Ryder at 19-20, then you can compare them, and it would go in Perezhogin's and Kostitsyn's favor, as Ryder had trouble with his foot speed and skating back then. As far as their shot goes, not many kids can find a way to get their shots off like Ryder, he's got a good nose for when to shoot the puck and you can't teach that. Plus it's such a wicked shot very accurate. I would say at this point Kostitsyn may have the heavier shot but no where near the accurate level that Ryder has. Perezhogin might be quicker then Ryder was at that age I can't really say.

417 TO MTL- Thanks, Yes Perezhogin is the more complete player by a good bit. I don't know about the Kariya comparisons, that's a tough one, I'd say his shot reminds me of Mogilny's if that helps any.

Old
08-06-2004, 03:06 PM
EaGLE1

Quote:
I wouldn't compare Ryder at 24 to Perezhogin at 20 and Kostitsyn at 19, so if you go back to Ryder at 19-20, then you can compare them, and it would go in Perezhogin's and Kostitsyn's favor, as Ryder had trouble with his foot speed and skating back then. As far as their shot goes, not many kids can find a way to get their shots off like Ryder, he's got a good nose for when to shoot the puck and you can't teach that. Plus it's such a wicked shot very accurate. I would say at this point Kostitsyn may have the heavier shot but no where near the accurate level that Ryder has. Perezhogin might be quicker then Ryder was at that age I can't really say.

417 TO MTL- Thanks, Yes Perezhogin is the more complete player by a good bit. I don't know about the Kariya comparisons, that's a tough one, I'd say his shot reminds me of Mogilny's if that helps any.
Always great to read you Dan!!

Old
08-06-2004, 03:13 PM

Quote:

Thanks again Dan

Old
08-06-2004, 06:14 PM
toughstuff

Thanks Dan. Always a pleasure reading you.

This may be off topic but ... I'll give a try.

We always talk about Kost's hard shot but what about Cory Urquart's shot.

This guy has left a great impression on me. Among other things, he has a very decent shot. From what I saw at Pierrefond this summer, it compares favorably to that of Kost.

What are your thoughts.

Old
08-06-2004, 06:22 PM
Habsaku

Having seen as much as I can of both players, I agree completly.

Old
08-06-2004, 07:13 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughstuff
Thanks Dan. Always a pleasure reading you.

This may be off topic but ... I'll give a try.

We always talk about Kost's hard shot but what about Cory Urquart's shot.

This guy has left a great impression on me. Among other things, he has a very decent shot. From what I saw at Pierrefond this summer, it compares favorably to that of Kost.

What are your thoughts.

Urquhart's shot isn't as heavy as Kostitsyn, none of the prospects at the development camp had a shot as heavy as Kosty. Urquhart seems to have improved his skating and foot speed which should help him a lot down the road. His shot is very good, as he has a quick release and knows where to put it. What makes him dangerous is that he also has very good vision and passing skills, but he needs to learn to shoot more. From what little I saw of him this year he was often looking pass to Lambert which he won't be able to telegraph his moves like that in the AHL.

One things for sure, we have a lot of good shooters in the organization. Ryder, Kostitsyn, Perezhogin, Urquhart, Milroy, Hossa, Lambert, all have very good wrist shots. Even Locke has a good shot although it's not very powerful he knows just where to put it.

Old
08-06-2004, 07:54 PM
mad chemist

thank you for those report that are done very well its allways a pleasure to read your repport. My english isn't good enough to say how good are your prospect repport.
I've a question for you could you remind me what was the rating of Michael ryder and mike komisarek. like the one of kostitsyn is 8.5 and the one of perezhogin is 8.0.
Thanks a lot for the help

Last edited by mad chemist: 08-06-2004 at 09:24 PM.
Old
08-06-2004, 08:38 PM
NewHabsEra*

Its very tough to compare a young player to an established NHLer but I think the Perezhogin/Afinogenov comparaison is pretty accurate... same skating/speed, same stickhandling...They look really similar... I however think Perezhogin has better creativity... This guy can make every defensive looks poor... Think a stronger Ribeiro with better speed and more power....

I however dont think Perezhogin has an exceptionnal wrist shot with quick release at the moment... You can feel it will come, he likes to shot on the net but it will need improvement with some off ice training IMO.... at the moment I think Higgins has the best quick release of all our prospects... Higgins already has a Drury wrist shot release, what is very impressing to see...

About Higgins... He certainly have the smart, grit and skills to be a great player to have in your line-up but I've been a bit desapointed in some games I saw him play... He seemed desinterrested at time, he was'nt the player he can be... Was he missing the school? Was the AHL schedule too difficult to deal with? Was he desapointed to not be a Habs at the moment? One thing is sure, I did'nt like the way he played on PK and I did'nt like his intensity in some games... I personnally think Higgins will come stronger with a great next season.. I just hope he be 100% focussed on hockey.

To me the more NHL ready prospect is Plekanec, this kid do everything well and deserve to be a Habs... He will be a major upgrade over the deadwood from the oppening season game!

Old
08-06-2004, 11:07 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad chemist
thank you for those report that are done very well its allways a pleasure to read your repport. My english isn't good enough to say how good are your prospect repport.
I've a question for you could you remind me what was the rating of Michael ryder and mike komisarek. like the one of kostitsyn is 8.5 and the one of perezhogin is 8.0.
Thanks a lot for the help

Thanks. Komisarek was listed by me as an 8.0 (and he was #1 prospect as well) Ryder I had my doubts about, but moved him up from a 6.0 to a 6.5 as I was concerned about his foot speed and skating. No one was more shocked that he was able to be so successful this year. I thought he would make the team and be luck to get 20 pts, wow I missed the boat on him. I followed Ryder when he was in the ECHL (sea wolves) and he really picked it up down there and the next season in Hamilton I started to think he could make it, as he became such a consistent scorer and gave a great effort night in and night out. I dont' think I would ever have expected him to be this good though, as I loved his shot, but didn't see him improving his foot speed and skating and balance enough to be a 25 goal scorer. Kudos to him!! I also under estimated his instincts in getting his shot off, he knows when to make a move and when to shoot, which is something you can't teach.

Old
08-06-2004, 11:19 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea
Its very tough to compare a young player to an established NHLer but I think the Perezhogin/Afinogenov comparaison is pretty accurate... same skating/speed, same stickhandling...They look really similar... I however think Perezhogin has better creativity... This guy can make every defensive looks poor... Think a stronger Ribeiro with better speed and more power....

I however dont think Perezhogin has an exceptionnal wrist shot with quick release at the moment... You can feel it will come, he likes to shot on the net but it will need improvement with some off ice training IMO.... at the moment I think Higgins has the best quick release of all our prospects... Higgins already has a Drury wrist shot release, what is very impressing to see...

About Higgins... He certainly have the smart, grit and skills to be a great player to have in your line-up but I've been a bit desapointed in some games I saw him play... He seemed desinterrested at time, he was'nt the player he can be... Was he missing the school? Was the AHL schedule too difficult to deal with? Was he desapointed to not be a Habs at the moment? One thing is sure, I did'nt like the way he played on PK and I did'nt like his intensity in some games... I personnally think Higgins will come stronger with a great next season.. I just hope he be 100% focussed on hockey.

To me the more NHL ready prospect is Plekanec, this kid do everything well and deserve to be a Habs... He will be a major upgrade over the deadwood from the oppening season game!

I personally don't like the Ribeiro comparison, as Ribs has great vision (much like Locke does) whereas Perezhogin doesn't have the abilty to see plays all over the ice like Ribeiro. There aren't many guys under 25 that can dish the puck like Ribeiro, and Perezhogin just doesn't come close to Ribs passing skills.

I also think you under estimate Perezhogin's shot, it's damn good and I think it's very quick. I just watched him put one in on Moss where there was little room, and he got it off very fast. Is Higgins release faster? I don't think so but it could be, I mean it's hard to really say from some live games and tv.

As for Higgins, you have to see what kind of game he plays. I've seen him a lot more at Yale, WJC's, Hamilton and Habs. He doesn't need to play a physical or intense game. He plays more of a laid back, style especially on the PK, where he picks his spots. I think he tends to hover and use angles to keep the puck to the outside or to cut down the shooting or passing lane. The only thing I can say about some of his disappointing games were adapting to the much much longer tougher schedule which could wear down anyone, plus the head injury seemed to effect him as well as the long season, towards the middle of the 2nd half.

I agree Plekanec is the more NHL ready and does everything well. I look foward to watching him in the NHL.

Old
08-06-2004, 11:22 PM
db23

Afinogenov was way ahead of Perezhogin at the same age. He had played over 120 RSL games and had 65 points. Perezhogin played 60 odd games and had 24 points.
Plus Afinogenov stepped into the AHL and dominated at over a point a game before moving up to the NHL. He only played 15 AHL games but had 18 points. Perezhogin had about 2 points in his first 15 AHL games as I recall. You really have to be optomistic to presume that Perezhogin will even do as well as Afinogenov in the NHL.

Max has averaged about 15 goals, 16 assists per season in the NHL. I can't see Perezhogin doing any better than that to be truthful.

Last edited by db23: 08-06-2004 at 11:28 PM.
Old
08-06-2004, 11:34 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
I personally don't like the Ribeiro comparison, as Ribs has great vision (much like Locke does) whereas Perezhogin doesn't have the abilty to see plays all over the ice like Ribeiro. There aren't many guys under 25 that can dish the puck like Ribeiro, and Perezhogin just doesn't come close to Ribs passing skills.

I also think you under estimate Perezhogin's shot, it's damn good and I think it's very quick. I just watched him put one in on Moss where there was little room, and he got it off very fast. Is Higgins release faster? I don't think so but it could be, I mean it's hard to really say from some live games and tv.

As for Higgins, you have to see what kind of game he plays. I've seen him a lot more at Yale, WJC's, Hamilton and Habs. He doesn't need to play a physical or intense game. He plays more of a laid back, style especially on the PK, where he picks his spots. I think he tends to hover and use angles to keep the puck to the outside or to cut down the shooting or passing lane. The only thing I can say about some of his disappointing games were adapting to the much much longer tougher schedule which could wear down anyone, plus the head injury seemed to effect him as well as the long season, towards the middle of the 2nd half.

I agree Plekanec is the more NHL ready and does everything well. I look foward to watching him in the NHL.
Well.. You surely watched more Bulldogs' games than me so I'm relying on what you say...

Hope we see more of our kids on TV if ever there is a lock-out.

Old
08-06-2004, 11:36 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
Afinogenov was way ahead of Perezhogin at the same age. He had played over 120 RSL games and had 65 points. Perezhogin played 60 odd games and had 24 points.
Plus Afinogenov stepped into the AHL and dominated at over a point a game before moving up to the NHL. He only played 15 AHL games but had 18 points. Perezhogin had about 2 points in his first 15 AHL games as I recall. You really have to be optomistic to presume that Perezhogin will even do as well as Afinogenov in the NHL.

Max has averaged about 15 goals, 16 assists per season in the NHL. I can't see Perezhogin doing any better than that to be truthful.

I agree you would have to be optomistic to think Perezhogin will be as good as Afinogenov, which is why I tend to stay clear of comparing prospects to NHLers, it's pointless in many ways imo. But your numbers don't tell much. I can't speak about Afinogenov, as I mostly follow just Hab prospects. But with Perezhogins numbers, of those points, 17 were goals in his first full season as a 19 year old playing on the NJ devils of the RSL, where he played 4th line, then 2nd line then 4th line when both his linemates were injured. Ivan Hlinka was the coach of Omsk then, which also helped Perezhogin develop a two way game, as he was considered a one way player in juniors (47 goals in the first league at 17) and under Hlinka, he was able to play the PK and on the U-20 team as well.

Also at 19 Perezhogin had a full time roster spot on the National team and was the 2nd youngest player on the team. I could look up Afinogenov to see if he played on the National team, but I don't care anyways.

And when talking about Perezhogin getting 2 points in his first 15 games, well don't you think it was kind of hard to produce when he first got here, not speaking any English, and never playing outside of Russia. If you had a job and they shipped you across the globe and you didn't know a lick of Russian, do you think it might be a bit tough at first? Look at what he did in the 2nd half. Your going to tell me that 50 pts as a rookie 20 year old that didn't know any English or play in any league outside of Russia before this season isn't good? How about leading his team in scoring in the playoffs before being suspended?

Old
08-06-2004, 11:51 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea

I saw Perezhogin live a couple of times, and his shot is way above avrage for his age, no comparasion with Higgins. Alex has an NHL shot, maybe even above avrage NHL shot...and from what I've seen, Perezhogin is a lil ahead of Kostitsyn, Dan might not agree on that though !

Old
08-07-2004, 12:14 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick
I saw Perezhogin live a couple of times, and his shot is way above avrage for his age, no comparasion with Higgins. Alex has an NHL shot, maybe even above avrage NHL shot...and from what I've seen, Perezhogin is a lil ahead of Kostitsyn, Dan might not agree on that though !

Kostitsyn's shot is more heavy, it's a hard shot, that has a lot of power behind it imo. Perezhogin I think is quicker and more accurate, so it would really be tough to say which is better. I like both their shots, and think both will be effective using them, if I had to pick one, I would lean towards Kostitsyn, cause he can get it off quick although he's not as accurate from what I've seen.

I thing I noticed with Higgins is that he reminds me a bit of Ryder in that he shoots often and from anywhere inside the blueline, which Ryder also does. Whereas Perezhogin and Kostitsyn seem to pick there spots a little more.

Old
08-07-2004, 12:36 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Kostitsyn's shot is more heavy, it's a hard shot, that has a lot of power behind it imo. Perezhogin I think is quicker and more accurate, so it would really be tough to say which is better. I like both their shots, and think both will be effective using them, if I had to pick one, I would lean towards Kostitsyn, cause he can get it off quick although he's not as accurate from what I've seen.

I thing I noticed with Higgins is that he reminds me a bit of Ryder in that he shoots often and from anywhere inside the blueline, which Ryder also does. Whereas Perezhogin and Kostitsyn seem to pick there spots a little more.
True enough.

Old
08-07-2004, 01:26 AM
Squeaky

Quote:

Do you think we've seen the best Kostitsyn's shot though? I assume all any of us have seen (though I have not) is the recent camp, where his shot varied pretty strongly in accuracy. Or does it look like he was getting his best shots off?

I think it's a little early to start comparing Kostitsyn to anybody really, have any of use ever even seen him play in an actual game?

Closed Thread