HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[SJ] Sharks sign Brent Burns to extension (5 years, $5.75M per)

Old
08-01-2011, 12:03 PM
pine*

vCash: 500
Quote:
@GMillerTSN
Gord Miller
Time out from golf to tell you that Brent Burns has a 5 year extension with SJ at $5.76m. Now where the heck is my ball?
25 seconds ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®
http://twitter.com/#!/GMillerTSN/sta...61119012347904

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 12:04 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Here is it roughly. Plenty to re-sign Couture and still bolster the 3rd line with another fwd.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Patrick Marleau ($6.900m) / Joe Thornton ($7.000m) / Logan Couture ($1.241m)
Ryane Clowe ($3.625m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m) / Martin Havlat ($5.000m)
Torrey Mitchell ($1.366m) / Michal Handzus ($2.500m) / Jamie McGinn ($0.680m)
Benn Ferriero ($0.605m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.540m) / Andrew Murray ($0.575m)

DEFENSEMEN
Dan Boyle ($6.666m) / Brent Burns ($3.550m)
Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($3.100m) / Douglas Murray ($2.500m)
Jim Vandermeer ($1.000m) / Jason Demers ($1.250m)
Justin Braun ($0.875m) / Burns extra ($2.200m)

GOALTENDERS
Antti Niemi ($3.800m) / Thomas Greiss ($0.587m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,562,501; BONUSES: $587,500
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $4,737,499
Thanks. So it looks like to get them to take compensation on Couture, it will take 4.5-5.5M. Either way, offer sheeting him is an absolute no brainer with all these long term contracts they have. Not trying to go off topic, just wanted to see if the Sharks were where they though I were. Carry on, Burns was a hell of pickup and great job getting him re-signed.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 12:04 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
no, you guys still have his pets.
nah, those are on the way to san jose

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Wow. That is a steal. I was hesitant to call it a good trade when it was first made, mainly because it was for what could have been a rental, but now San Jose wins in my opinion. Very good deal for them.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 12:05 PM
AbsolonMoreau*

This is a freaking great deal! Especially after we paid $2.65M for Wallin!

AbsolonMoreau* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Way to read the thread lol.

he got $5.75, and your nuts.
Wow, those nuts must have been the clincher!

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 12:07 PM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Thanks. So it looks like to get them to take compensation on Couture, it will take 4.5-5.5M. Either way, offer sheeting him is an absolute no brainer with all these long term contracts they have. Not trying to go off topic, just wanted to see if the Sharks were where they though I were. Carry on, Burns was a hell of pickup and great job getting him re-signed.
long term contracts? there is like 3 people signed past 2013/14 season

Old
08-01-2011, 12:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

He has the potential to be a $7.5m+ defenseman or a $3.5m defenseman. It's up to the coaching staff.

On the plus side, he's still fairly young but mellowing out (hopefully) with age, which means he'll stay back a little more, which is exactly what he needs to do in his end. He's way too prone to running around or making bad pinches to be called a #1 defenseman.

On the down side, he hasn't put together one season of consistent play. Yes he had great numbers last year, but he could have had 25 goals if he hadn't stopped playing good hockey after the all star break. Before that he was injured the previous two years and didn't have his breakout until the second half of the 2007-08 campaign.

I think it's a fair contract for both sides. San Jose is good enough that if Burns can't put it together, they can still win. If he signed for $6.5m or whatever in Minnesota (he wouldn't take a discount like he did for San Jose), it's entirely possible he doesn't live up to that and the team is screwed because they don't have the forward depth (without the Seto/Coyle/Phillips trade) to deal with it.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 12:09 PM
AbsolonMoreau*

Quote:
This is the coming year's capgeek....

Old
08-01-2011, 12:10 PM
CloneHakanPlease*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
Burns makes 8.9% of the cap and if the cap rises that % will only drop. You`d have a tough time convincing me a top pairing defenseman who is of UFA age is not worth that % of the cap.
We can't be so sure of the cap dropping with the new CBA approaching. This isn't like the past few years.

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 12:11 PM
HawksTillDeath

Quote:
well the cap will go up again (taking into account the NHL NBC contract)

that being said.. as a blackhawks fan i know that bowman is gonna offer sheet them at some point in the future

but chances are Couture will get re-signed at some point during the season..

if he does make it to July 1 thought..

Chicago will definitely offer sheet him

guess 5.5?

HawksTillDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 12:12 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZBAKE View Post
We can't be so sure of the cap dropping with the new CBA approaching. This isn't like the past few years.
The cap is specifically tied into league revenue where players only get 55% of it and they pay into an escrow account to ensure this as well.

The cap will not drop... how could the NHL possibly sell it to the NHLPA or the fans.

The NHL got their linkage

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Wild33

Wait til everyone watches him more now. I couldn't stand watching him play hockey the last half of last year. He has all the tools to live up to the contract and more, but he better be paired with your best defensive defensemen you've got and nothing less.
Good for Burns though and San Jose to get this done as the trade is worth it for San Jose if they like what they see and 5.75 on good terms you can live with, anything in that $6 million+ range could have been bad.

Wild33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hold the Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
Wow, those nuts must have been the clincher!
haha, maybe that's what bumped it from 5.75 to 5.76. I used to always catch that one, guess I've been reading HF too long.

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 12:13 PM
neofury*

lol @ SJ fans saying 6.5 or even 7+ million are fair for Burns.

Don't get me wrong he's good but anything above 6 would massive overpayment. Just because Wiz got 5.5 on a non contender in a mediocre city doesn't mean San Jose a contender in a nice city with better weather is going to have to give Burns 7 million. Come on now.

There's more than just one factor when signing a player. Columbus had to overpay due to being Columbus and also Wiz coming off a great year.

The situation shouldn't even be compared to Burns honestly.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 12:15 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksTillDeath View Post

that being said.. as a blackhawks fan i know that bowman is gonna offer sheet them at some point in the future

guess 5.5?
Yeah, Bowman has to do this if it goes to July 1st. He's set himself up nicely to do it. I hope Couture's agent has him wait until the 1st because everyone can see this coming a mile away. Let's keep this thread about Burns though. I made a thread on the Hawks board talking about offsheeting Couture so we can discuss it there.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 12:15 PM
AbsolonMoreau*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksTillDeath View Post

guess 5.5?
I could see something like 11/3 and then him getting around 6.5 after the "Big Three"'s contracts are all up and are probably re-signed for much less.

Old
08-01-2011, 12:17 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay33 View Post
Wait til everyone watches him more now. I couldn't stand watching him play hockey the last half of last year. He has all the tools to live up to the contract and more, but he better be paired with your best defensive defensemen you've got and nothing less.
Good for Burns though and San Jose to get this done as the trade is worth it for San Jose if they like what they see and 5.75 on good terms you can live with, anything in that $6 million+ range could have been bad.
He'll most likely get paired with Vlasic who is one of our best defensive Dmen (If not best, depends on who you talk to).

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Dr Jan Itor

I have nothing to base this on, I really do believe that Burns recognized what SJ gave up for him, and directed Salcer to get a fair deal done. Burns isn't the type of guy to **** over an organization like that. I never believed that he wouldn't sign.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post

Don't get me wrong he's good but anything above 6 would massive overpayment. Just because Wiz got 5.5 on a non contender in a mediocre city doesn't mean San Jose a contender in a nice city with better weather is going to have to give Burns 7 million. Come on now.

There's more than just one factor when signing a player. Columbus had to overpay due to being Columbus and also Wiz coming off a great year.

FYI. San Jose has had a terrible time signing even middle of the road free agents let alone decent names. Its great that they are a good team, but generally the free agent pool bypasses San Jose every single year.

Old
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold the Pickles View Post
haha, maybe that's what bumped it from 5.75 to 5.76. I used to always catch that one, guess I've been reading HF too long.
It was an accidental good one!

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 12:22 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post

if Burns had signed for $6.5+ i wouldnt have blinked. we have a lot of trouble signing people in SJ. even with our playoff history and a good roster. those things arent as high on the UFA checklist as athletes make you believe. we are in the same boat as a team like Columbus or Nashville.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hockeyball

Quote:
Yeah, Bowman has to do this if it goes to July 1st. He's set himself up nicely to do it. I hope Couture's agent has him wait until the 1st because everyone can see this coming a mile away. Let's keep this thread about Burns though. I made a thread on the Hawks board talking about offsheeting Couture so we can discuss it there.
Will never happen. Don't waste your time. I suspect Couture will be signed prior to camp even. If not, we have loads of cap space and there is no possible way DW lets Couture go. Frankly he'd trade anyone on the roster if he had to to keep Couture. I say this with 100% confidence.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
FYI. San Jose has had a terrible time signing even middle of the road free agents let alone decent names. Its great that they are a good team, but generally the free agent pool bypasses San Jose every single year.
As good as San Jose is it's not a big free agent destination at all. We don't have a storied history, and we play on the West coast. it's very big for us to sign a guy like Burns to a deal before he's even played a game with us.

Usually we trick them into playing for us for a year and they end up loving the franchise/weather.

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 12:26 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Quote:
Couture's agent is Joe Thornton's cousin.

he's going to be a Shark for a long time. this is the best our cap situation has looked in yrs.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote