HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What teams are we better than on paper?

Old
08-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Roof Daddy

vCash: 500
What teams are we better than on paper?

While I'm not sold we have a realistic shot at the playoffs, I do think we have a considerably better looking team than last year. Factor in the horrible amount of injuries to key players the last 2 years, and I think its the only reason we finished dead last both of those seasons. So I'm just curious who everyone thinks we have a shot at passing in the standings, based on the premise it is a healthy roster vs healthy roster? Here goes:

PHX: I'll give them the edge on D no problem, but how is this team going to score? They'll have to win a lot of games 2-1, 1-0 which could be a huge problem when you consider they are one of the few teams I think have a worse goaltending duo than us.

FLA: This one is actually pretty close. I like our forward group better, but I like their D better. Goaltending might be a slight edge to us, but its close. Could call this a coinflip, but I won't.

OTT: Their forward group is pretty ugly. We hold a bigger edge up front than they do on D. They get a slight edge in goal too, but its not enough to overcome the offensive void up front.

MIN: Some folks may not agree with this one, but I think our forward group is on par with theirs (if not a bit better), but our D is considerably better (which tells you how ugly their D is). They get a considerable edge in goal, but I'd still take our roster over theirs.

Hate to say it folks, but thats all I could come up with for teams we look better than. NYI and DAL were debatable, but still a bit better. With us only slightly edging out MIN and FLA, I think we'll be picking anywhere from 3-7.

Curious if anyone else has a different take?

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 11:55 AM
YoSoGordo

But minnesota has heatley so that could defintley be a coin flip. I doubt we get ahead o minnesota but im hoping

YoSoGordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Waterboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
While I'm not sold we have a realistic shot at the playoffs, I do think we have a considerably better looking team than last year. Factor in the horrible amount of injuries to key players the last 2 years, and I think its the only reason we finished dead last both of those seasons. So I'm just curious who everyone thinks we have a shot at passing in the standings, based on the premise it is a healthy roster vs healthy roster? Here goes:

PHX: I'll give them the edge on D no problem, but how is this team going to score? They'll have to win a lot of games 2-1, 1-0 which could be a huge problem when you consider they are one of the few teams I think have a worse goaltending duo than us.

FLA: This one is actually pretty close. I like our forward group better, but I like their D better. Goaltending might be a slight edge to us, but its close. Could call this a coinflip, but I won't.

OTT: Their forward group is pretty ugly. We hold a bigger edge up front than they do on D. They get a slight edge in goal too, but its not enough to overcome the offensive void up front.

MIN: Some folks may not agree with this one, but I think our forward group is on par with theirs (if not a bit better), but our D is considerably better (which tells you how ugly their D is). They get a considerable edge in goal, but I'd still take our roster over theirs.

Hate to say it folks, but thats all I could come up with for teams we look better than. NYI and DAL were debatable, but still a bit better. With us only slightly edging out MIN and FLA, I think we'll be picking anywhere from 3-7.

Curious if anyone else has a different take?

I'd take out Minny and add NYI in to that mix. I also don't think Winnipeg will be that strong this year. By the second half, their schedule will have killed them. I expect to pick between 5-10 barring a NJesq jump in the draft. The teams better, and could surprise but I don't see playoffs in our future, not this year.

Waterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I honestly think we could be better than Colorado, Minnesota and Calgary by year's end.

It's impossible to say because us and Colorado are so unpredictable. The young guys could all break out, or they could take a step back, who knows. We know Minnesota and Calgary are both outrageously average, but they're probably still better than us at stagnant development.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 12:01 PM
YoSoGordo

I will laugh so hard if calgary finishes last and we finish 5-10 (bottom) and we win the lottery taking the first pick from calgary

Old
08-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigzz View Post
But minnesota has heatley so that could defintley be a coin flip. I doubt we get ahead o minnesota but im hoping
They gained Heater and Seto, subtracted Havlat and Burns. Without including the prospects/picks in the Burns deal (because they won't play next year), that is a loss for the Wild and win for the Sharks. We can both agree, coinflip, and likely only a few points separating the two teams when all is said and done.

Personally I think Heatley is slowing down. He'll still be a PP threat, but the guy is a sub par skater and the game just looks faster every year.

Old
08-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Pistolwhip

I would say the Islanders, Ottawa, Toronto and perhaps Colorado.

Islanders has some good young forwards their D and goaltending is the question mark.

Ottawa is in the early stages of a rebuild. They will have flashes of brilliance but will not be very good.

Toronto has been below average for a long time. Their entire team is a question mark.

Colorado like previous posters have mentioned, they can break out. Tough to say overall we I'd say we have more offensive potential.

Calgary? Come late Nov, early Dec we will see if they are the legitimate team some of their fans say they are. I would say they will crash and burn.

Pistolwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 12:35 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
I will laugh so hard if calgary finishes last and we finish 5-10 (bottom) and we win the lottery taking the first pick from calgary
Dude... that would be beyond priceless!

As to the OP: Carolina.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 12:36 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

The Islanders have a better D than we do and their star is a year ahead of Hall. I doubt that we'll be better than them next year.

Off the top of my head:

Minnesota (I said this last year too so who knows?)
Phoenix (Odds on favorite to finish last IMO)
Ottawa (if they don't get solid goaltending they are screwed)

Outside shots at being worse than us:

Colorado, Toronto, Winnipeg, Calgary, Florida, Dallas

08-01-2011, 02:13 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Phoenix is a better team than us. They're in the same situation as Calgary. Until Doan leaves, they're going to be a borderline playoff team. That said, the teams I think we could POTENTIALLY beat(because the bottom teams can switch around quite easily
Florida
Dallas
Colorado
NYI
Carolina
Ottawa
Winnepeg
Toronto
Calgary

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:25 PM
voxel

Two teams will have injury issues and tumble (NJD and COL last season).

I do agree we are better than PHX, MIN, FLA... questionable goaltending on the Yotes and Panthers. Regardless I think we finish bottom-5 but as long as we "improve" across the board then I'm happy. If the youngsters regress - well I okay with a Philly-style rebuild (bring in vets by the boatload)

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Koto

Quote:
we would need to be bottom five to steal #1, and yes it would be priceless

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

I would say no one, because that would be the point right? I mean the Oilers were the worst team in the league, despite the improvement and health, they are still the worst team in the league, so it's completely pointless to compare on paper, because invariably the Oilers will come out worse.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:32 PM
RoboNerdOK

vCash: 1050
The Thrashers.

//sorry, had to be done.

RoboNerdOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
Except I don't want Calgary anywhere near the top 5 draft picks. That would hurt us too.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Asher

Quote:
Well, that's kinda impossible. If the Oilers finished 5-10 (actually, 5th would work, but nothing beyond that) they would not be eligible to pick #1. We saw that this last year when NJ won the lottery but the Oilers still picked #1.

As far as wishing ill will towards the Flames, I don't want them anywhere near the lottery. Hell if I want them to get a draft pick that high. No, I want them to finish 9th every year. I want them to make a strong enough push at the end of every year that their fans get deluded into thinking that their team is getting better rather than worse. I want them to think that they're only a player or two from being a contender again, and to desperately try to fill those holes by giving mediocre or over the hill players bloated contracts with no movement clauses. I want them to trade away the draft picks they do have in bad trades. That's what would make me "laugh so hard." And believe me, the Flames have given me plenty of entertainment by doing all of the above over the last few years.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:41 PM
YoSoGordo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Except I don't want Calgary anywhere near the top 5 draft picks. That would hurt us too.
I think if they get either borderline playoffs or playoffs and 1st tier get out then ill be happy. Or if they trade their pick away and end up last i'll be fine

Old
08-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Sorry but the correct answer is nobody. Worst center depth in the league and one of the worst defenses.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 02:48 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I would say no one, because that would be the point right? I mean the Oilers were the worst team in the league, despite the improvement and health, they are still the worst team in the league, so it's completely pointless to compare on paper, because invariably the Oilers will come out worse.
Pretty much. I'd like to think on paper we are better than FLA because they have no goalie, but on paper ours isn't a whole bunch better.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 03:09 PM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
I'm pretty sure we're better than some of the Edmonton Peewee B girls' teams, but there's probably a couple of the upper echelon ones that could still take us out behind the woodshed.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Eytinge

I think we're better then Colorado, Ottawa and Phoenix. We potentially could finish ahead of Dallas and Minnesota also. If Kipper regresses, Calgary could be in a world of hurt too.

Last edited by Eytinge: 08-01-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Pretty much. I'd like to think on paper we are better than FLA because they have no goalie, but on paper ours isn't a whole bunch better.
Yup, this team will be better then some once the games are played, but until then we don't know.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 03:34 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
It would be even better if they were 29th or 28th, with us jumping up the max 5 picks to steal what would be the last of the consensus game-breakers!

At 2nd overall, they'd be able to argue their pick will turn out better. We need to push them out of the top 'whatever'.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Ice Whole

Phoenix and Ottawa for sure. Maybe Dallas, Colorado, Calgary, Winnipeg and Minnesota.

Ice Whole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Say what? Why is it pointless to compare on paper? Do you really think we would have finished dead last if we had Whitney, Hemsky, Horcoff and Hall play 82 games? I'm not saying it would have been a playoff team, but come on.

What about the Rangers? They grabbed the prize possession of the UFA market. Add Richards, subtract Drury. By your logic, they'd be the 15th best team because that is what they were this year? And CBJ would be the 23rd best team? Can you see how your theory makes basically no sense?

Our overall roster has improved on last year's version. Some teams did nothing to replace the holes in their lineup (aka PHX).