HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Madden 2005

Closed Thread

Old
08-10-2004, 07:28 PM
Radulov for Czar*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff88
Did they do any change to the draft, especially teams trading and preview of other's team picks and needs?

draft has been totally redone. I give it an A+

Old
08-10-2004, 07:34 PM
MontrealCruiser_83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesey
HINT: Get Tyrone Calico from the Titans and put him as the #3 WR. He is unstoppable.
the guy is the next Terrell Owens without the mouth and the problems lol...

Old
08-10-2004, 07:41 PM
Duff88

Quote:
draft has been totally redone. I give it an A+
Can you elaborate on what are the new features into it.

Old
08-10-2004, 10:44 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
HINT: Get Tyrone Calico from the Titans and put him as the #3 WR. He is unstoppable.
Or Antwaan Randle-El from the Steelers. He's my leading receiver on a team with Ward and Burress...

complete crap from the outside, unbeatable from the slot.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
08-11-2004, 12:49 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful
Or Antwaan Randle-El from the Steelers. He's my leading receiver on a team with Ward and Burress...

complete crap from the outside, unbeatable from the slot.
I badly wanted him as my 3rd receiver over Jurivicious, but the price was too steep. I'm thinking about using the Steelers in the future for a Franchise, and maybe trading for a running back.

Old
08-11-2004, 01:04 AM
Russian_fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubarovRocks
Who will be picking this game up when it releases in a couple of days?

I know I will, most likely for PS2, or PC (for roster updates)

What team will you be using in Owner Mode, how excited are you, do you play online, ect?
I'll be using the Patriots, nuff said.

Old
08-11-2004, 01:34 AM
The Guy on the Couch*

So let's talk about the next Joe Montana...

How's Roethlisberger in this game?

Old
08-11-2004, 02:59 AM
Sebastien Centomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveiglar
Up up down down left right left right A B select start

My name ain't madden, but I am a pro at contra.
Good old Contra.

Old
08-11-2004, 03:18 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Up up down down left right left right A B select start

My name ain't madden, but I am a pro at contra.
Combining that statement with your avatar, I can easily see Bill Cosby saying something like that.

Old
08-11-2004, 07:43 AM
sveiglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller
Combining that statement with your avatar, I can easily see Bill Cosby saying something like that.
BTW, Bill says Randle El is a kick return beast for him in '04.

Old
08-11-2004, 08:59 AM
SPV
Zoinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful
I'm such a *******...in Madden I traded Maddox and my 1st and 2nd rounders to Arizona for Larry Fitzgerald.

Maddox was *****ing about being back-up to Roethlisberger and me being the Fitzgerald fan I was I had to do something.

Plus I now may have the best receiving core ever...Ward, Burress, Fitzgerald, and Randle-El on the field at the same time...pretty damn good since I usually use a 4 receiver set.

Now if only I had a running game and offensive line I might go somewhere

You complain about ESPN 2k5 trading away Fitzgerald during the first 4 weeks of the season, then you pull of this completely unrealistic trade and that's okay??

I posted in another thread that I found NCAA 2005 to have very unrealistic gameplay where the DBs have Spiderman like abilities, jumping backwards 4 + yards to knock down passes in front of my wide open receivers. Maybe Madden wouldn't have that issue, but I think that this type of cheap gameplay is common in EA games. But I really, really wanted to like NCAA 2005 this year. That's just my opinion though, and I know plenty of others won't agree with me.

Personally, for my money this year, I'm happy with ESPN, the franchise and gameplay are good enough for me, and I like the generated player faces for rookies, and the presentation a lot. I'll probably rent Madden somewhere down the road, but I can't imagine buying it.

Old
08-11-2004, 12:21 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevat
You complain about ESPN 2k5 trading away Fitzgerald during the first 4 weeks of the season, then you pull of this completely unrealistic trade and that's okay??
Because at least I had control over that one, I gave up two very high picks and a QB rated 85 overall, it's not like I traded a 73 overall lineman like Dallas did in ESPN.

Old
08-11-2004, 12:23 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guy on the Couch
So let's talk about the next Joe Montana...

How's Roethlisberger in this game?
79 OVR, same as Rivers, 3 less than Manning(-_-)...I edited it so it was the other way around and Roethlisberger was an 82 and Manning a 79.

Old
08-11-2004, 12:35 PM
sammy87

Quick first impressions

Bought the game last night. Simulate through the first season with the Pats. I love all the new Franchise add ons(radio show, email, posistion battles, etc...) My only worry is that it might get to be too much. I like the little things they added to the draft like a more accurate grading system(ie Mike Williams will go top 5) and trading during draft. Another cool thing was that after the Patriots won the Superbowl, Belichek retired telling me he had accomplished all he could dream of. Haven't played a game yet though, will do that tonight.

Old
08-11-2004, 03:45 PM
blink

picked up Madden on Monday believe it or not...I just went into EB and they had it on the shelf..so I had to pick it up...

First off...the franchise mode is incredible...everything you could ever want as a fantasy football gm/owner is in this game...

Like several of the other posters on here...I love the new stuff they added to it..."Storyline Central" (i.e. both national and local newspapers, e-mail, and the ea sports radio. Just adds a much more realistic feeling to the franchise mode...

I've always been a HUGE franchise mode lover in all the Madden games...but this franchise mode just blows 2004 completely away. The draft has been totally redone...you still scout the 15 guys like usual and you get their combine stats and the scouting report...but when you actually get to draft, there is a ton of different stuff added. The draft now looks like it would on television..with a draft ticker at the bottom of the screen which keeps track of all the picks. Instead of rating the rookies as a projected round of "1st"..or "3rd-4th"...some guys now say "Top 5" or "Top 10" beside them while others say "Undrafted". If you go to your email and look at it before the draft, there are people in your organization who will make suggestions on who to pick and what not. You can even look at your draft board for not only your team but another team to see who they have listed high. After the draft is over, they do a draft grade for every team. I'm not completely sure how accurate it is yet though, since I've only simulated through one season so far with my franchise, but there were plenty of A's and B's given...there were also several trades in my first draft between CPU teams...none involving players however..just swapping draft picks...and nobody gave me an offer during the draft, although I'm sure it will happen...

I LOVE the restricted free agent stuff you have to deal with now. Now, if a team wants to sign a player whose contract has run out and has 3 years and under experience in the league, they have to compensate you with a 1st and 3rd rounder (in most cases anyway..depending on the player). You make the qualifying offer to that player and then the game will make their offer, and then you have to decide whether to match their offer or take the compensation package. The CPU teams do this to each other as well...so it makes it pretty fun.

I'm in Free Agent Signing right now, and Michael Strahan just pissed me off pretty good. He was the best FA out there and I was pretty crap on the DE's..so I figured I'd just give him a bunch of money and sign him. WRONG. Now, the players take other factors into account instead of just money. Strahan wouldn't even negotiate with me pretty much, so now I'm up **** creek as far as DE's go. Might have to trade for one....

I started a franchise with the Browns even though I'm a Rams fan. I like building up crap teams to contenders...although during our first season, we were far from a contender. We went 6-10, losing our last 4 games of the year. One of my DT's (Michael Myers) was complaining about lack of playing time and causing a distraction, so I had to get rid of him....traded him to the Vikes for a 3rd and 4th rounder. Other than that, I didn't make any moves during the first season...instead, just waiting til the offseason.

I've made some moves during the offseason to improve my horrendous offence (note to others...Jeff Garcia sucks on the Browns..at least he did for me). His QB rating was like 61.5...which was 3rd worst in the AFC. Holcomb wasn't much better so I got rid of both of them (didn't bother to resign Holcomb and traded Garcia to the Giants).

So far my major acquisitions of the offseason are Eli Manning (started 8 games with the Giants after Warner got hurt and did pretty well...13 TD's against 4 picks) in the Garcia deal, Lee Evans (picked him up from the Bills after a 1000 yd rookie season) and I just traded for Dunta Robinson off of the Texans (not a bad rookie season with them). My first round selection (7th overall) turned out pretty well...Mike Henley, a LT out of Wyoming who ended up being a 79 but has a 55 injury rating (ouch!!)

If you're starting a franchise with the Browns....you've got a lot of work to do...lol. The highest rating on that team is an 88 when you start out with them. I've improved the offence a bit but I still need a stud running back and some work on the defence. Neither Green nor Suggs really impressed me all that much during the first season.

So yeah...there is an in depth (sort of) review of the franchise mode...I highly recommend going out and buying/renting Madden if you're a fan of the Madden series because this game won't disappoint you at all..especially if you love the franchise mode. I haven't actually played a game of Madden yet because I've been fooling around with the franchise stuff...but I'll be doing that tonight...

Oh yeah...and by the way....Portis kicked ass in the first season on my game...he broke the single season rusing record with the Skins....rushing 484 times (WOW!!) for a crazy 2282 yards....needless to say he got NFL MVP and NFL Offensive Player of the Year awards....

anyways...hopefully this helps you guys...

Old
08-11-2004, 03:49 PM
GoM

I seem to get Madden in alternate years (99, 01, 03), so I may end up getting this, if I feel so inclined...

Old
08-11-2004, 04:41 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
I have madden 2002,2003,2004 (all on my cpu)
now i want to buy 2005 .. but this time i'll buy it for ps2 ..
btw can you still create a stadium or relocate your franchise?

Old
08-12-2004, 08:08 AM
sveiglar

Here is a trick which I've often exploited in 2004, but I suspect may be fixed in 2005. You have a good player who needs a new contract. Get him to sign a contract with no signing bonus; it takes a very large base salary, but you do it because you can then immediately deal him for high picks and there is no bonus to charge against next year's cap. My assumption is if you try to pull that in 2005, then morale is affected and other players will not want to sign/negotiate with you. Can anyone confirm that this trick will now backfire on a team?

Does trading guys during the season who are in the final year of their contract adversely affect anything other than just on-field performance?

Old
08-12-2004, 08:11 AM
sammy87

Quote:
Here is a trick which I've often exploited in 2004, but I suspect may be fixed in 2005. You have a good player who needs a new contract. Get him to sign a contract with no signing bonus; it takes a very large base salary, but you do it because you can then immediately deal him for high picks and there is no bonus to charge against next year's cap. My assumption is if you try to pull that in 2005, then morale is affected and other players will not want to sign/negotiate with you. Can anyone confirm that this trick will now backfire on a team?

Does trading guys during the season who are in the final year of their contract adversely affect anything other than just on-field performance?
I did the same thing last year as well. I haven't played enough to answer but i noticed when signing players the signing bonus is much more important than last year.

Old
08-12-2004, 08:38 AM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:

i was doing that ever since Madden 2002 right b4 i signed the jerk of a player i would save the game and if i couldn't rob someone of a very high pick or some great rookie i wanted i would just load up the game again and not sign him or just trade him off for crap, but i don't have 2005 yet, hoping my **** of a town finally got it in yesterday

Old
08-12-2004, 11:44 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryoptix
I have madden 2002,2003,2004 (all on my cpu)
now i want to buy 2005 .. but this time i'll buy it for ps2 ..
btw can you still create a stadium or relocate your franchise?
Yep.

Old
08-12-2004, 11:57 PM
Impossibles

Damn you all for making me want to trade in ESPN for madden.

What do you think EB will give me for it?

Old
08-13-2004, 01:18 AM
chris_dub
Avoid Catalina...

Send a message via MSN to chris_dub
Just picked up the Collector's Edition last night. It was $10 so I said what the hell.

Game is awesome. All the new features are great. Owner mode & Franchise are just unreal now. Although I was very rattled when I discovered that you couldn't configure your controller. I hate having to press L2 to scramble with my QB rather than pressing triangle. Oh well, I'll adjust.

Old
08-30-2004, 07:29 PM
Sebastien Centomo

I typed this up at a Fins board so I'm just going to copy and paste...

I wont make a new thread for this, so here...

So, in my franchise after making my trades and signings I had about $2 million left in the cap. And having Knight, Chambers and Edgerrin James (traded pot head for him) without contracts for next year, I'd be f'd when I needed to re-sign them in the off season. I'm looking for a way to free up some cap without taking the cap penalties.

So long story short... I'm screwing around with moving players from their natural positions to others and found that if you take a guy as good as Edge (90 something overall) and make him into a LB or S, (can't remember which, he becomes a 55 or so) and resign him while he's at a differant position, you can get them for CHEAP, really cheap. I've got Edge locked up for 7 years, a little over $4 million TOTAL, and a bonus of $400k.

After doing that with various other players, I've got maybe $12-13 million of cap room. It saved my franchise.

Another tip, get Najeh off GB when he's a HB and after you make the trade, move him to FB, he ends up being around a 90.

EDIT: not really a glitch or anything major... just a loophole.

Works like a charm.

Old
12-08-2004, 02:01 PM
GoM

Sorry to resurrect an old, old thread, but several months in, does everyone still love this game?

I'm highly tempted to purchase it, and right now it's between this and MVP Baseball 04 over which one I will buy

Closed Thread