HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL: 30 Teams in 30 Days

Old
08-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Bradyhckyfan21

vCash: 500
NHL: 30 Teams in 30 Days

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=70217

NHL.com starts its in-depth look at each team's offseason moves

Sabres on Wednesday

Bradyhckyfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:18 AM
jfb392

It's up now: article, video.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:41 AM
Sabres1026*

EJ says buffalo is a bubble team but thinks they're in.

Sabres1026* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:58 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres1026 View Post
Hmmmm...

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 09:01 AM
Endless

wow , what a disgrace of a hockey analyst

Endless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 09:06 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless View Post
What did he say that was wrong?
Oh yeah, you disagree with him, so that must make him a disgrace.

He's lame sometimes, but he didn't say anything that was untrue in the video.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 09:09 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres1026 View Post
A team that finished 7th, took the Flyers to the wall, has a vastly improved defense, and is still solid up front is a BUBBLE team?

If this is what qualifies for top end hockey analysis, we're in trouble.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 09:52 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
A team that finished 7th, took the Flyers to the wall, has a vastly improved defense, and is still solid up front is a BUBBLE team?

If this is what qualifies for top end hockey analysis, we're in trouble.
Time will tell. If Leino doesn't work out at center, we're 1 injury away from having Hecht/Adam as our top two centers. Even with the improved D, that team would struggle to score. We, on paper, could be a great team. However, players traditionally struggle off their UFA contracts and considering we are relying on two of them in pretty big roles, it's not unthinkable we could have issues this year. I think we'll make the playoffs too, but we could easily roll in around 6, 7 or even 8 instead of the 3/4 alot of people have projected at.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 09:56 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Seemed like a fair article to me. He outlined that we obviously had a large influx of talent, but also notes that alone doesn't mean much if they can't figure out how to play together. A big chunk of this team got changed this off-season, so just adding talent doesn't automatically mean they'll come together and play well. Obviously we believe and hope they will, but it's not guaranteed, so his analysis is pretty good.

The only part I'd say he's wrong on is Kotalik playing on this team and providing any kind of presence. I don't expect to see him here at all unless there's big injury problems.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:09 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

The article was fine.

EJ's video analysis is what's drawing ire, and I think rightfully.

Old
08-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Nothing wrong with some realism, even in the video. People have doubts and all he expressed is that they're a bubble team and he thinks they're in. Leino as the 2C and Hecht as the 3C is a risk. They retooled 1/3rd of their blueline (and the mix is still slanted toward skating/puckmoving types) and there will be adjustment periods back there.

08-03-2011, 10:47 AM
MyersMagic57*

EJ seems like a terrible analyst to me. The first thing that got me this summer was when he was supposed to write weekly about 2011 free agency, one week he writes about Detroits 2012 free agents.

MyersMagic57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Insomniac99

Why is Gerbe listed as a center?

Insomniac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:52 AM
MyersMagic57*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post

"They think Leino can be a center, even though he plays wing"

He didn't mention anything about how he used to play center, which throws things a bit off

Old
08-03-2011, 10:57 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Nothing wrong with some realism, even in the video. People have doubts and all he expressed is that they're a bubble team and he thinks they're in. Leino as the 2C and Hecht as the 3C is a risk. They retooled 1/3rd of their blueline (and the mix is still slanted toward skating/puckmoving types) and there will be adjustment periods back there.
The bubble team part is what got me. At worst, the Sabres should be as good as last year, although many would also say they'd be better. To say they're a bubble team, you're implying that they will be fighting the people around them for the 8th spot.

Looking at the teams around them, who got significantly better?I would say objectively that out of the 6 - 10 group from last year, the Sabres improved the most.

So, from my view, trying not to be a homer, I can't see how you can call this team a bubble team on the way in.

Old
08-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Insomniac99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyersMagic57 View Post

He didn't mention anything about how he used to play center, which throws things a bit off
Considering the entire paragraph on how Kotalik is going to improve the Sabres', I think it's pretty obvious he spent 2 minutes doing research on the offseason before he wrote the article.

Insomniac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:02 AM
sabresfan129103

I think they're better then a bubble team, I think they finish 5th in the conference, maybe 4th if Boston has a hangover and they can beat out the Habs for the division. EJ is entitled to his opinion though, I thought he stated his case well.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
The bubble team part is what got me. At worst, the Sabres should be as good as last year, although many would also say they'd be better. To say they're a bubble team, you're implying that they will be fighting the people around them for the 8th spot.

Looking at the teams around them, who got significantly better?I would say objectively that out of the 6 - 10 group from last year, the Sabres improved the most.

So, from my view, trying not to be a homer, I can't see how you can call this team a bubble team on the way in.
So, a bubble team?

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:10 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

I must be in the minority here, but any article I read about the Sabres, good or bad, I think "heh, whatever, I'll make up my own mind". Therefore I don't get too upset or too excited about "hockey analysts". Most of the time they're wrong anyway when saying good and bad things year after year. Yet some hang on their every word year after year. Just don't get it.

Putting on my hockey analyst hat .... The Sabres on paper look a lot better than last season. Until they play the games, we simply don't know how much better.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:18 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:

Yes he did. He said we are moving him back to his natural Position for the first time in his NHL career. That's about right.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:20 AM
ct2111

I disagree with the bolded:
Quote:
Center Tim Connolly, who can be a brilliant playmaker when healthy, signed a free-agent deal with Toronto last month. Connolly was the longest-tenured Sabre on the team last season. Although concussion problems plagued him in the past, the past two years he had returned to being a vital player on the Buffalo roster. He played 73 games in 2009-10 and 68 games this past season. With 42 points, Connolly was the only player among Buffalo’s top-13 scorers to leave the team in the offseason.
Overall I feel the "general" analysts give Connolly too much credit for last season (living off the same old reputation: "when he's healthy he's great"). I won't deny his contributions to the PK, but on the offensive end it was his wingers who carried him and as I think Zip (?) has pointed out he had one of the highest 2nd-assists rates and his ES numbers were atrocious.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:21 AM
MyersMagic57*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Yes he did. He said we are moving him back to his natural Position for the first time in his NHL career. That's about right.
That was the article written by Greg Picker, I was talking about the video by EJ Hradek

Old
08-03-2011, 11:22 AM
OcAirlines

I think the article was bad, although i don't disagree with the conclusion. It's just poorly written and researched. His takes on Miller, Kotalik, Connolly, Montador are superficial at best and he uses way to many platitudes.
His take on the team is reasonable though. I hope that we won't be a bubble team but it's a possibility that is not too far away and if someone thinks so, fine.

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:22 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
That was the article written by Greg Picker, I was talking about the video by EJ Hradek
Ah...didn't watch the video. My bad.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

I've stated all along that I think a healthy Pens and healthy Caps are 1 and 2 (or 2 and 1) in the East, but that 4-12 is pretty much wide open and any of three teams could be #1 in the NE. If anyone stumbles, they're going to be hard pressed to make up ground.

#6 last year was Montreal and they're getting their best skater back in Markov -- he stays healthy and they're improved. #8 Rangers added the #1 center they wanted/needed and retained the rest of their young players. #9 Carolina added a powerplay catalyst. #10 Toronto gets a better option in the middle than Bozak and picked up a quality PMD in Liles. #11 NJ gets Parise back, healthy. All of the teams around last year's 6-11 area have improved, or at least will tell you that they've improved.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote