HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I like that hockey isn't that popular in NYC

Old
07-29-2011, 12:06 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3075
I like that hockey isn't that popular in NYC

I'm serious.

I always hear people I know talk about other sports and always saying something ridiculously stupid, trying to act like they know what they're talking about.

Every once in a while, some dumb ass calls Mike Francesa and saying that they should trade Reyes or Beltran for Albert Pujols. When the Yankees were in the World Series, I was a bit pissed how stupid some of my bandwagon Yankee friends were, so I asked them simple questions like, "What number was Babe Ruth?" No one knew. I asked them, "How far is each base from each other?" No one knew, and one person said, "It's different in every stadium." I asked them, "What position is Alex Rodriguez?" No one knew.

On the Rangers Facebook page, there's plenty of dumb people there, too. But at least I don't see them outside, hear them talk on the radio, or see them post stupid things on my Facebook wall. As long as I don't have to see them or hear how stupid they are, I'll be happy.

I know that if the Rangers become very good, hockey might get more popular here, but I'll trade all the future knowledgeable fans for all the future stupid fans.

I may sound crazy, but it's my opinion. Flame away.

Last edited by Kane One: 07-29-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 12:13 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

vCash: 500
I hear what you're saying. Like anywhere though, and you brought this up, there are idiots and morons in every fanbase of every sport making asinine and stupid comments. You take the good with the bad.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 12:16 AM
Muh
Beadle

vCash: 50
If/WHEN (I hope) we become contenders every year, I expect the bandwagon fans to come out. But I see what your saying, we have our loyal fan base who for the most part understands Ranger hockey.

Wish it would change throughout my friends tho. I have tried to get them all into hockey, and so far I am 1 for 6 (and that one is a legit fan now). Others wouldn't even care to watch game 7 of the Cup.

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 12:19 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Agreed!!

It's fun being an elitist.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 12:48 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

You're telling me you wouldn't LOVE for the airwaves around here, TV and radio, to be dominated by Ranger talk? Good conversation or annoying caller's illiterate ramble, I simply love when the sport gets ANY time on local media. I love when Boomer talks about the Rangers. I love when a random caller spits out a hockey shoutout. I LOVE when Schmoozer talks Ranger hockey, ripping the Icelanders and the Mausoleum and "Mama Dearest with the Shoulder Pads" Garth Snow.

As you hinted at: I think, for all of the "dumb fans" out there, you'd have just as many intelligent/knowledgeable ones rising to the forefront if it got press around here, or if the radio were to have a segment about it, etc. And I think you'd probably enjoy that more than the poo-poo the sport gets in local media currently.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 01:07 AM
Muh
Beadle

vCash: 50
Now that it was put that way by Jbuds (who introduced me to Hfboards), I couldn't agree more. As annoying as dumb callers may be on sports radio (or anywhere else for that matter), its still something we all listen to for the sake of argument.

Hockey is something that I wish was talked about more in NY, but until we become legit contenders, it wont be. I remember listening to the few minutes Wfan gave hockey while we were in the playoffs, but as bad as it was, it was something I would still listen to.

Boomer would love to talk hockey, but Carton cuts him off every time. And I love Somers and his monotone voice.

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 01:17 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Against my better judgment I just looked at the Rangers' Facebook page. Who wants to gouge my eyes out?

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 01:26 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
Now that it was put that way by Jbuds (who introduced me to Hfboards), I couldn't agree more. As annoying as dumb callers may be on sports radio (or anywhere else for that matter), its still something we all listen to for the sake of argument.

Hockey is something that I wish was talked about more in NY, but until we become legit contenders, it wont be. I remember listening to the few minutes Wfan gave hockey while we were in the playoffs, but as bad as it was, it was something I would still listen to.

Boomer would love to talk hockey, but Carton cuts him off every time. And I love Somers and his monotone voice.
That's what I remember, too. Even Francesa gave it some time. I truly think that ANY hockey talk on the radio or on TV is a good thing, local and national levels the same.

If the Rangers make a run? I would ADORE the radio if it were oversaturated with Rangers callers of ANY knowledge level. Again - simply to hear hockey talk would be welcomed IMO

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 01:42 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Against my better judgment I just looked at the Rangers' Facebook page. Who wants to gouge my eyes out?
"COME ON RANGERS!!!!! SIGN WOJTEK WOLKI AND PUT HIM WITH BRAD RICHARDS AND MARIAN GABORIK!!!!! PLEASE!!!"

Wojtek WOL-KI.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 02:16 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
"COME ON RANGERS!!!!! SIGN WOJTEK WOLKI AND PUT HIM WITH BRAD RICHARDS AND MARIAN GABORIK!!!!! PLEASE!!!"

Wojtek WOL-KI.
well....and theres the fact that wolski is already signed....but....yeah.....facepalm

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 02:30 AM
The Mouth

I may be an elitist too but I like that the sport isn't popular with the masses and gets next to no coverage in New York.

it's like when you discover a really cool new band and eventually the dopey public discovers them and ruins it for you. then when the mainstream media get a hold of it, they beat the bands songs to death and a lot of morons start following the band thinking they discovered it.

I like following a cult sport like hockey. The fanaticism is high and for the most part the fans are knowledgeable

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 03:18 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
You're telling me you wouldn't LOVE for the airwaves around here, TV and radio, to be dominated by Ranger talk? Good conversation or annoying caller's illiterate ramble, I simply love when the sport gets ANY time on local media. I love when Boomer talks about the Rangers. I love when a random caller spits out a hockey shoutout. I LOVE when Schmoozer talks Ranger hockey, ripping the Icelanders and the Mausoleum and "Mama Dearest with the Shoulder Pads" Garth Snow.

As you hinted at: I think, for all of the "dumb fans" out there, you'd have just as many intelligent/knowledgeable ones rising to the forefront if it got press around here, or if the radio were to have a segment about it, etc. And I think you'd probably enjoy that more than the poo-poo the sport gets in local media currently.
There are pluses and minuses either way but generally I agree with you and it shouldn't really matter that much--if someone gets annoyed listening to the radio they can turn it off--the world won't end--probably not anyway.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 03:20 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
well....and theres the fact that wolski is already signed....but....yeah.....facepalm
****, i almost forgot, the NHL makes it so you have to resign a player in the last year of their contract now.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 05:25 AM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Oh my God, that Facebook page is horrible. Wtf am I reading on here?

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 05:36 AM
WeWillWinTonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Part of the reason I bailed on Facebook Lol

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 06:19 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

One guy claimed that we still needed Gomez.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 07:22 AM
ZacUSNYR

I like Hockey because the touch downs are exciting and when someone steals a base the crowd cheers. Usually ends in a sweet dunk!

ZacUSNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 07:43 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Looking at the facebook pages for any teams, it is startling how many fans have no clue what the **** they're talking about.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 07:47 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacUSNYR View Post
I like Hockey because the touch downs are exciting and when someone steals a base the crowd cheers. Usually ends in a sweet dunk!

I've actually been upset with hockey recently, due to the large amount of guys taking performance enhancing drugs.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 07:58 AM
94now

I wonder how many elitists here know how long and wide the ice rink is and whether dimensions vary from place to place. Yeah, without Google, please.

I am not asking about tag out offside rule. I am sure many are not sure about even basic offside.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 09:09 AM
LamoTheKid

I'll never forget all of the texts during the Olympics from friends saying "OMG NOW I KNOW WHY YOU LOVE HOCKEY". I didn't hear from them once during the regular season/playoffs besides my hardcore friends.

I don't mind, I kind of agree with The Mouth, the fans are fanatical and most are knowledgeable (facebook and HF Trade Rumor Proposal threads aside).

I'm embarassed to admit I haven't watched one baseball game this season. I'm too excited for Football and Hockey to start.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Jersey Girl

It is a mild bummer that hockey isn't talked about on the airwaves like it is in places like Boston, Detroit, Pittsburgh and Minneapolis. It's so nice to hear hockey talk!

And even those places don't compare to Montreal, Toronto, and all of the other Canadian cities where hockey is discussed 24/7/365.

Yeah, it's nice being what we consider the 'cool kids', but it's even nicer when more people are involved.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 09:20 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Sports talk around here is filled with some of the most pompous pieces of garbage around.

People I like on radio:

Steve Somers
Don LaGrecca
Boomer

(notice a theme?)

People I dislike:

everyone else

People I HATE:

Craig Carton
Michael Kay

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 09:25 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

I wish hockey were more popular(in NYC). None of my close friends care about the sport. That's why this forum is what it is. A place where people are as passionate about the game as I am.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2011, 09:34 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

200 x 85!

The NHL was popular in the mid-late 90's because of the Rangers success.

Rangers fell into a bad playoff drought, and the NHL became insignificant.

Coincidence that the US's largest market dictates how popular a mostly US league is?

If the Rangers won the Stanley Cup, it would push the NHL to amongst the forefront for at least a nice short period of time.

It would do more for the sport then Crosby's annoying face could ever do.

When we won in 94, for the next 5+ years SO many kids wanted to and were playing hockey. Be it on ice in rec, or on the street for fun. I never had a problem finding a big roller hockey game after school.

After we won, my entire 6th grade class got detention for chanting 1994.

Before that, everyone thought I was a dork hockey fan.

As the Rangers faded, so to did the sport.

If the Rangers win, it wont only be huge for the sport locally, but it will be huge for the NHL.

I still remember the parade, too. Amazing that day. All over Manhattan and in NJ people were chanting "Let's Go Rangers". I remember the subway loud with Rangers chants.

It would be HUGE.

EDIT:

There are many rinks to chose from to play, but, its sort of a cult thing, the game kind of exploded after the Rangers won in 94. Don't see kids outside playing pick up hockey now like they did when I was a kid.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 08-01-2011 at 10:06 PM.
SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote