Tuesday, August 2 Jets Papers

Old
08-02-2011, 08:30 AM
ICdave
HFB Partner

vCash: 500

Note: I'm off to the lake for today/tomorrow so there probably won't be a link to Morning Papers tomorrow although one of the guys is picking up my slack so they will be on Illegal Curve. Thanks.

Winnipeg Free Press: On second thought, 10 not perfect. Nice move by Bryan Little to respect the number 10.

Grand Forks Herald: Marto inks Jets organization. His addition is good for the depth of the St. John’s IceCaps.

Winnipeg Sun: Jets sign former Moose King. Looks like the Jets are keeping with the “local” theme for the AHL team as well.

Winnipeg Sun: Shin shines with Jets tattoo. I’m all for supporting the team, but getting a logo tattooed on my leg might be taking it a bit too far for me. I’m happy to wear a hat to show my support. But to each their own.

Around the NHL:

ESPN: Chris Chelios leads U.S. class of 2011. Gotta love that the old warrior still refuses to retire. Former Jets star Keith Tkachuk also will be enshrined in the U.S. Hall of Fame.

TSN: Nabkov says he plans to play for Islanders. But with the vote having gone poorly, the question is where will they be playing.…

Islanders Vote:

New York Post: Referendum loss leaves door open to possible move to Brooklyn. Interesting that the Barclays Center only holds 14,500 for hockey meaning Winnipeg would no longer be the smallest arena in the NHL.

Globe and Mail: Voters say ‘No’ to Islanders arena. Hard to get people in a tough economy to agree to spend more money for a billionaire owner.

New York Times: Nassau votes reject proposal to overhaul Coliseum. It appears that fans have forgotten the 4 Stanley Cups in a row and just remember the futility (no playoff series wins in 17 years).

CBS Sports: Islanders arena vote fails. Not sure why but talk of moving the Islanders offends my sensibilities. Here is list of cities that could be vying to be the future home of the Isles.

ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Mossy Oak
Serenity

vCash: 50
I think it's awesome and nice to see Little opting to wear #18 and not Hawerchuk's #10. I'm personally fine with whatever the players choose to do, as I've stated previously. If Kane gets Hull's blessing to wear #9, I think that's great too.

I think this year will be a big, big year for Bryan Little. I'm a Bogosian guy since I watched him in junior, so I am really rooting for him, but I think Bryan Little may be my favorite forward (though it'll be hard to not love Ladd and Kane). Love players who demonstrate a solid all-around game.

Poor Islanders.. I've always felt bad for them with how things are run there sometimes. The thing that gets me is they were such a storied franchise with their 4 consecutive cup wins... but that history seems to have been tarnished and forgotten by many, which is a big, big shame in my opinion.

08-02-2011, 10:03 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 216
The NHL is in serious trouble with the Islanders.
They obviously dont want them to move.
They are such a storied franchise.
They may not have a choice in 3 years... Maybe Wang shoudl build his arena like business men used to do rather then have governments build it for them.
So sad really

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:16 AM
White Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Poor Islanders.. I've always felt bad for them with how things are run there sometimes. The thing that gets me is they were such a storied franchise with their 4 consecutive cup wins... but that history seems to have been tarnished and forgotten by many, which is a big, big shame in my opinion.
Plan A didn't work but they have time to come up with a Plan B. I am not familiar with the demographics or politics of Long Island so I wouldn't even know where to start.

The one thing this vote should do is make all Peggers and Manitobans grateful for what we have.

We have a building and the NHL is here for the start of the 2011/12 season.

We have a new football stadium that is in the process of being built and concrete being poured.

On a minor scale we have the Goldeyes playing in a small but very attractive ballpark.

-37-

White Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
Plan A didn't work but they have time to come up with a Plan B. I am not familiar with the demographics or politics of Long Island so I wouldn't even know where to start.

The one thing this vote should do is make all Peggers and Manitobans grateful for what we have.

We have a building and the NHL is here for the start of the 2011/12 season.

We have a new football stadium that is in the process of being built and concrete being poured.

On a minor scale we have the Goldeyes playing in a small but very attractive ballpark.

-37-
Long Island has several other places that are legitimate options for the Islanders. My guess is that they leave Nassau Country for a neighbouring county and stay on Long Island.

Here's hoping. It would be awful to see that franchise leave.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Funny thing about the possible move to Barclays Center; while Brooklyn is geographically a part of Long Island, people from Nassau and Suffolk county are adamant that it's not 'Long Island', per se. If that makes any sense.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 12:50 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Funny thing about the possible move to Barclays Center; while Brooklyn is geographically a part of Long Island, people from Nassau and Suffolk county are adamant that it's not 'Long Island', per se. If that makes any sense.
In terms of both culture and lifestyle, Nassau and Suffolk are extremely different from Brooklyn and Queens.

Barclays Center is designed for basketball and won't work for hockey. There had been talk of a new arena in Queens near Citi field, but the potential backer of that development (Wilpon) was a victim of Madoff.

OthmarAmmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 01:39 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

I don't care about the Islanders struggles after their fiasco with the Penguins. Bush league team.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Hammer Slammer
Adam Lowry fan club

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
I don't care about the Islanders struggles after their fiasco with the Penguins. Bush league team.
If they could get rid of that knob of an owner I'd want to see what they could accomplish. And that fiasco was the turning point where the Islanders stopped taking other team's ****.

Also, props on the avatar. I remember seeing Terror about 6 years ago now.

Hammer Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 02:29 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
If they could get rid of that knob of an owner I'd want to see what they could accomplish. And that fiasco was the turning point where the Islanders stopped taking other team's ****.

Also, props on the avatar. I remember seeing Terror about 6 years ago now.
Yeah because they resorted to some of the dirtiest things I've seen in a long time.. the **** they were taking from the other teams was hardly dirty. The Isles proved how ***** they really are when their way of sending a message is elbowing rookies in the head and attacking Max Talbot from behind.

And thanks, haha. Terror is one of the few bands I really like that I haven't gotten to see yet..

Last edited by Jet: 08-02-2011 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Do not circumvent the obscenity filter.
Old
08-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Mighty Joe Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
Right. Because any team that dresses Matt Cooke on a regular basis is classy. He's only the biggest meathead in the game by a long, long shot. Including Sean Avery. At least he doesn't purposely injure guys. Not to mention Brent Johnson and his two fights in a two month period for a BACKUP goalie. Then we get to listen to Mario cry about it like a four year old who got poked in the arm by another kid, despite the fact that his team got punished much less. Let alone the fact that it takes two sides to brawl like that. But I agree--the Penguins are completely blameless.

Back to topic. I hope the Islanders pull off something.

Mighty Joe Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 11:05 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Joe Moon View Post
Right. Because any team that dresses Matt Cooke on a regular basis is classy. He's only the biggest meathead in the game by a long, long shot. Including Sean Avery. At least he doesn't purposely injure guys. Not to mention Brent Johnson and his two fights in a two month period for a BACKUP goalie. Then we get to listen to Mario cry about it like a four year old who got poked in the arm by another kid, despite the fact that his team got punished much less. Let alone the fact that it takes two sides to brawl like that. But I agree--the Penguins are completely blameless.

Back to topic. I hope the Islanders pull off something.
Matt Cooke is a good hockey player. Do you think they condone his dirty antics? No they've had multiple meetings with him. The Penguins are a winning organization though, and Matt Cooke is a pretty vital part of their PK and third line.

Yeah.. Johnson is a backup goalie and fought. I really don't see where you are going with that.
You're totally right about the last part. The Penguins should have just not fought back and let their players be jumped and concussed.

Shame on Mario for complaining about the Islanders making a mockery out of hockey.

Old
08-02-2011, 11:26 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I don't think the Islanders predicament is all that bad. So what, they move from Nassau County to either Suffolk County (just to the east, 1.5 million people), Brooklyn (30 minutes by car, 2.5 million people) or Queens (25 minutes by car, 2.3 million people).

So you've got yourself three hugh metro areas that are potential places to move and STILL be on Long Island. You gotta like their chances of finding one of those places to help finance an arena project. And no matter what, you still have 7.5 million people to draw from (the total population of LI).

Let's face it, averaging 11,000 a game last year and having attendance problems for years, Nassau just doesn't want the Isles anymore anyway.

Talk is now starting to heat up again concerning the new Barclay Centre. They are now claiming that it CAN host a NHL team. Problem is that it would only seat 14,500 for hockey (18,000 for b-ball).

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 08:03 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersUlfBobby View Post
Talk is now starting to heat up again concerning the new Barclay Centre. They are now claiming that it CAN host a NHL team. Problem is that it would only seat 14,500 for hockey (18,000 for b-ball).
Sorry, that ship already sailed. It's 14,500 with quite a few having bad sightlines, versus MTS Centre in Winnipeg with 15,000 seats with ideal sightlines. The decision to save some money, by giving up fleibility, was made before construction began. You'd pretty much have to demolish the inside of the place and rebuild it. Ain't gonna happen.

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote