HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nabokov to join Islanders

Old
08-02-2011, 08:38 AM
Robert Theodorson

vCash: 500
Talk about biting the bullet. Nabby is literally salivating for the TDL this year.

I don't like the Red Wings, but he belongs there, and wants to be there. I still hold my belief that this was an utterly classless move by Snow against a veteran of the league who wanted a shot on a contender before his career was over.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 08:50 AM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyhennig16 View Post
:islanders
Jerry D'amigo
2nd round pick 2012

Evgeni Nabakov
I'd Take it.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 09:16 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

I feel bad for him. It won't be as fun playing for the Isles as it would for a contender

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 09:39 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Talk about biting the bullet. Nabby is literally salivating for the TDL this year.

I don't like the Red Wings, but he belongs there, and wants to be there. I still hold my belief that this was an utterly classless move by Snow against a veteran of the league who wanted a shot on a contender before his career was over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
I feel bad for him. It won't be as fun playing for the Isles as it would for a contender
He just turned 36 and was one of the best goalies in the league the season before last. Go ahead and post his stats from his 15 games in the KHL. They mean nothing. He signed the deal he signed and knew that anyone could have picked him up. The Islanders did and now he's an Islander. Snow was smart to pick him up and he'll help get people to come to Islanders games, making more money for Islanders and possibly helping them to the POs, making even more money for the Islanders and helping Snow keep his GM job. Good on Snow for using his brain. Nabokov has a few years left at least so he'll get to pick his new team next summer.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 09:56 AM
one2gamble

Quote:

I don't like the Red Wings, but he belongs there,
negative

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Saving Greiss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Why does he belong there? It was fair game for any team willing to claim him off of waivers.

And how is it classless? Snow made a move to remedy a situation at the time. Unless making smart moves is classless.

Saving Greiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:00 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Why do the Islanders insist on keeping him here?

There is no way in hell I am rooting for this castoff loser wearing my blue and orange. How Wang can allow such a disrespectful POS to put on the Islander jersey is disgusting. Let him go to the Red Wings already, who cares.

I doubt he has any sort of game left in him that would help the end game for the Islanders. Let's get real.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:01 AM
Jonas1235

I bet he gets traded at the deadline for a first round pick. Still an elite goalie, especially when motivated.

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:23 AM
Chalfdiggity3

Either way i still dont understand it.. I know he wants to play for the Redwings now but seriously playing at MOST 1 season for the Islander would be that bad? They are a young and talented team that hasnt had good goaltending in a LONG time. If Nabakov can give them that and their young players grow, while getting Striet back, they can very well be a dangerous darkhorse of a team. Im not really sure why everyone thinks the Islanders suck. They have TONS of young talented players from all those draft years of being **** ha.

Nabakov needs to man up, finish out his 1 year contract, play his heart out, maybe they will be close to the playoffs or another team willing to take you on for the rest of the year will. Then next year when hes a free agent go and sign wherever. I dont get it. Playing a year in the nhl and showing other teams and gms that he can still play, would only HELP his situation.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:30 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post

There is no way in hell I am rooting for this castoff loser wearing my blue and orange. How Wang can allow such a disrespectful POS to put on the Islander jersey is disgusting. Let him go to the Red Wings already, who cares.

I doubt he has any sort of game left in him that would help the end game for the Islanders. Let's get real.
Nabokov gives you guys a significantly better chance at the POs than what you have.

Old
08-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Renbarg

Still think he gets traded. Was not a good goalie last year and I don't see the Islanders carrying 3 goalies again, if they think Ricky is ready for camp.

Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:39 AM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
Either way i still dont understand it.. I know he wants to play for the Redwings now but seriously playing at MOST 1 season for the Islander would be that bad? They are a young and talented team that hasnt had good goaltending in a LONG time. If Nabakov can give them that and their young players grow, while getting Striet back, they can very well be a dangerous darkhorse of a team. Im not really sure why everyone thinks the Islanders suck. They have TONS of young talented players from all those draft years of being **** ha.

Nabakov needs to man up, finish out his 1 year contract, play his heart out, maybe they will be close to the playoffs or another team willing to take you on for the rest of the year will. Then next year when hes a free agent go and sign wherever. I dont get it. Playing a year in the nhl and showing other teams and gms that he can still play, would only HELP his situation.
From someone glancing at the Isles stats and history, especially the last four seasons...not to mention the whole arena issues...it's pretty easy for some to call the Isles lowly or embarrassing or whatever. As an Isles fan, I've heard alot of that for quite some time now.

But yes, you're right. If you dig a little deeper and see what the Isles have on the ice now and what they've got coming up the pipeline...you're pretty blown away by the amount of potential this team has and just how good this team may be in a few years. They may even be good this year. I mean, they've got guys that can score alot of goals in Tavares, Grabner, Moulson, Okposo...even Comeau, Bailey, Nino, and Parenteau are capable of at least 20 goals. Getting Streit back and fully healthy blueline should help tremendously...especially if Snow still manages to land a top 4.

The big question mark is in net. We're left relying on Montoya, who "could" breakout. I have zero confidence in DiPietro. Poulin needs more time. Goaltending could torpedo the Isles season...or Montoya/Poulin could breakout, who knows? But Nabby would be more of a sure thing.

Another year for Tavares, Grabner, Okposo, MacDonald, Hamonic and the like...adding Streit and a more complete blueline...and maybe Nabokov...the Isles will improve over their 30 wins last season. And without a total self-destruction in November and December like last season...and hopefully, a healthy team...I think 38-42 wins (8-12 wins over last season) are entirely possible.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:48 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
Yup, this is how hard Nabby chokes in the playoffs:
Oh so then he must have a cup ring or at least have been to the cup finals at some point right?

Oh wait no he didn't and it was largely due to him choking. I forgot real life there for a second

I can find a bunch of Luongo saves too. Doesn't mean he didn't choke.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
From someone glancing at the Isles stats and history, especially the last four seasons...not to mention the whole arena issues...it's pretty easy for some to call the Isles lowly or embarrassing or whatever. As an Isles fan, I've heard alot of that for quite some time now.

But yes, you're right. If you dig a little deeper and see what the Isles have on the ice now and what they've got coming up the pipeline...you're pretty blown away by the amount of potential this team has and just how good this team may be in a few years. They may even be good this year. I mean, they've got guys that can score alot of goals in Tavares, Grabner, Moulson, Okposo...even Comeau, Bailey, Nino, and Parenteau are capable of at least 20 goals. Getting Streit back and fully healthy blueline should help tremendously...especially if Snow still manages to land a top 4.
Im sorry to hear that the Vote didnt go through. I hope that they will find a new way to work all this out for a new arena. The Islanders are a great storied franchise and would be a shame for them to leave the nhl. Yes i agree you have been terrible but have acquired a ******** of top end offensive talent and some good defensive players. If the Islanders can grab another top 4 defensman they would be in good shape. Maybe go out and sign Scott Hannan!

Quote:
The big question mark is in net. We're left relying on Montoya, who "could" breakout. I have zero confidence in DiPietro. Poulin needs more time. Goaltending could torpedo the Isles season...or Montoya/Poulin could breakout, who knows? But Nabby would be more of a sure thing.
Exactly why i think that if Nabakov can go in there and help lead the Islanders to possibly be a surprise darkhorse team to make the playoffs then it would not only help the franchise but also help him go to where he wants and make more money. Its a chance to prove himself to the league.

Quote:
Another year for Tavares, Grabner, Okposo, MacDonald, Hamonic and the like...adding Streit and a more complete blueline...and maybe Nabokov...the Isles will improve over their 30 wins last season. And without a total self-destruction in November and December like last season...and hopefully, a healthy team...I think 38-42 wins (8-12 wins over last season) are entirely possible.
Im a Rangers fan and bleed ranger blue but i have to say that the Islanders are getting better and can be scary good soon. 42 wins is on the cusp of the playoffs..

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Shoalzie

Could his willingness to return have anything to do with Yashin possibly joining the team? Just curious...

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:52 AM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

At least we got some good news for Isles fans today. Thats got to be an awkward opening night introduction for all the bs he pulled though...

committedindian86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoarDefense View Post
Why does he belong there? It was fair game for any team willing to claim him off of waivers.

And how is it classless? Snow made a move to remedy a situation at the time. Unless making smart moves is classless.
He signed a contract with the intention of playing for the Red Wings, he did not put his signature on a piece of paper that had the words "New York Islanders" anywhere on it. He was expecting play and live in Detroit, this effects not only him but his family as well.

If you don't think that's the wrong thing to do to somebody I really hope someone screws you over hard, very hard, in a legal, economic, or life changing situation so you can reap the words you said.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 12:10 PM
gotmonte

Erhoff is a Sabre, pal.

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 12:35 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
He signed a contract with the intention of playing for the Red Wings, he did not put his signature on a piece of paper that had the words "New York Islanders" anywhere on it. He was expecting play and live in Detroit, this effects not only him but his family as well.
He signed a standard NHL players contract knowing and having it explained to him that he must pass through waivers where ANY team can claim him. He and his agent released that he would pay for ANY team that claimed him.

Quote:
If you don't think that's the wrong thing to do to somebody I really hope someone screws you over hard, very hard, in a legal, economic, or life changing situation so you can reap the words you said.
It has been done to the Islanders before (ie wade Dubilwiz) and after last night I dont think it could get worse so quit you Bi***ing and complaining and move on.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Saving Greiss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

There was waivers. Perhaps his agent or representative misinformed him of the process.

Players have their lives turned upside-down, all the time. He isn't the first player, he won't be the last. Again... he should have been prepared, assuming his agent told him about waivers.

Saving Greiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 12:46 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
1 year deal to finish the season. These guys live on air planes. Boo hoo if he couldn't get a shot at the Cup last year. Finish out the season and pick your team in free agency. Now he gets his just dessert, playing an entire season with the team he didn't want to play for. If he sucks, he's out of the NHL. How about him signing a huge muli-year deal in the KHL and walking away from that commitment??? You can't defend Nabby. He's in it for himself and seems to disregard written contracts. The more he cries about it, the more teams are going to say: You know what, there are bunch of other goalies out there to choose from, we don't need the headache.

Last edited by coldsteelonice84: 08-02-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old
08-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Yitz

If Nabokov is the Islanders starter this year could be very interesting.

Yitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 02:42 PM
GreatGonzo
Registered Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
So why don't you get him back?

Or you would rather see if he hits waiver wire again
You should just stop talking now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post

Are you seriously that proud? The Islanders have been one of the worse teams in the league for many many years, and you still want DiPierto as your goalie....A lot of good that has been doing you.

Some of you Islander fans dont understand what Nabokov can do for your team. He could actually take you guys out of the hole you guys have been in for awhile.

GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

I will take Nabakov over DP all day.

I really don't care what he did, I am interested in icing the best team possible.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 02:53 PM
exporta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
What a fool. Should have played out last season. What a lie too, he would have reported to the Red Wings after he signed that contract, no question.
I am assuming you are referring to this quote, "I'm not sure everyone understands the situation. Players can play five, 10 minutes a night, but goalies have to play the whole game. I wasn't ready and the situation wasn't right."

I think what he means by this is that he wasn't ready to come play out a season on a bottom feeder. I am sure he wasn't looking forward to getting over worked on a team that had shipped out its best defender for a 15-20 game stint.

He signed with the Red Wings likely to be a back up on Stanley Cup contender, not to be an overworked number one on a bottom feeder. I don't see this as being anything contrary to that situation.

exporta is offline   Reply With Quote