HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nabokov to join Islanders

Old
08-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
He signed a contract with the intention of playing for the Red Wings, he did not put his signature on a piece of paper that had the words "New York Islanders" anywhere on it. He was expecting play and live in Detroit, this effects not only him but his family as well.

If you don't think that's the wrong thing to do to somebody I really hope someone screws you over hard, very hard, in a legal, economic, or life changing situation so you can reap the words you said.
If he REALLY wanted to play for the RedWings, he would have done so before inking that KHL contract. He knew all of the risks and did it anyway. This is just part of being a professional athlete. Just stop dude.

Riseonfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Oh so then he must have a cup ring or at least have been to the cup finals at some point right?

Oh wait no he didn't and it was largely due to him choking. I forgot real life there for a second

I can find a bunch of Luongo saves too. Doesn't mean he didn't choke.
Uninformed opinion. A career 2.29 playoff GAA puts him 24th in history just above Patrick Roy (Luongo 2.50/42nd). Sharks fans know he consistently gave the team a chance to win in the playoffs.

But ultimately that opinion is irrelevant -- the poster claimed Nabby did "nothing but choke" in the playoffs. If that were true, he would have no record of success in the playoffs, let alone multiple highlight-reel performances in multiple playoffs and statistics among the all-time best.

Phu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 03:09 PM
binx bolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Nabokov gives you guys a significantly better chance at the POs than what you have.

This is the end of the debate. Assuming he can get in shape and recover his form, he's the best choice for net. Poulin is the future, Kosiken may surprise us and Montoya could be a steal. But all these guys are unproven. Montoya's sample size is too small to feel anything close to confident and the same goes for the other guys, not to mention their youth. Will he get traded? Most likely. Is it a really good thing for the Isles if he gets back to form in our uniform before the TDL? Absolutely.

As for the classless statement, this is the same GM that traded our best goalie to Tampa Bay b/c of his age and the chance to play for the cup. Afterward, an option appeared to fill that hole. Classless, how? Like the Sharks were when they picked up Wellwood?

binx bolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 05:28 PM
DecimatorDiecuts

Wasn't there something that was not allowing a trade even if Nabokov reported to the Islanders though? I seem to remember Bob Mackenzie saying something about him having to clear waivers again before he could would be eligible to trade and if another team claimed him before it got up to Detroit it would be the same situation all over again.

DecimatorDiecuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 05:41 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecimatorDiecuts View Post
Wasn't there something that was not allowing a trade even if Nabokov reported to the Islanders though? I seem to remember Bob Mackenzie saying something about him having to clear waivers again before he could would be eligible to trade and if another team claimed him before it got up to Detroit it would be the same situation all over again.
If you pick up a player on waivers you can't trade them till after the season is over. Since it's a new season it's fair game for the Islanders to trade him if they want.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 05:47 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Talk about biting the bullet. Nabby is literally salivating for the TDL this year.

I don't like the Red Wings, but he belongs there, and wants to be there. I still hold my belief that this was an utterly classless move by Snow against a veteran of the league who wanted a shot on a contender before his career was over.
He's an NHL GM at the bottom of the league using any asset available to him. Is it classless? Yeah. Is this a business where he gets paid to make smart choices like nabbing Nabakov and getting a free 2nd round pick out of it? Yes sadly it is. There are no free rides not even for Detroit. NYI got him fair and square.

I agree though that they weren't going to need to use him as they're rebuilding. That isn't Nabby's call though.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 05:50 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
Uninformed opinion. A career 2.29 playoff GAA puts him 24th in history just above Patrick Roy (Luongo 2.50/42nd). Sharks fans know he consistently gave the team a chance to win in the playoffs.

But ultimately that opinion is irrelevant -- the poster claimed Nabby did "nothing but choke" in the playoffs. If that were true, he would have no record of success in the playoffs, let alone multiple highlight-reel performances in multiple playoffs and statistics among the all-time best.
It isn't about your GAA or SV% even if it's career 3.04 0.87

It's what you do in big games and it's about winning. Did he win the cup? No that's right he choked big time in big games. Roy didn't do that Roy won cup upon cup with more than one team. Don't compare the two of them ever again lmao.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 05:57 PM
boredmale

Quote:
I agree though that they weren't going to need to use him as they're rebuilding. That isn't Nabby's call though.
The Islanders had to trade a 6th round draft pick for Montoya due to all the injuries the team had, so it's false that we didn't need him(or at least a goalie to play for us)

Quote:
It's what you do in big games and it's about winning. Did he win the cup? No that's right he choked big time in big games. Roy didn't do that Roy won cup upon cup with more than one team. Don't compare the two of them ever again lmao.
It's also hard comparing GAA when Roy played in an era for about 5-6 years that most goalies got GAA above 3 and not many broke a .900 save percentage

Last edited by boredmale: 08-02-2011 at 06:06 PM.
boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 06:01 PM
awesomo
HARD!

only b/c NYI are going to Quebec next year

gotta get that foot in the door

awesomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 06:17 PM
trainwreck

Nobody screwed Nabokov other than Nabokov. If he just played for a couple of months last season, he would be free to do whatever he wanted right now.

Now he's in a weird spot. If he plays well and the Islanders start to win, he's stuck on a team that's just starting to be competitive and will be gone before the real fun starts in the next few years. If he sucks and the Isles lose, nobody will want him.

So he has to play well and the Isles have to suck for him to get what he wants. But the Isles have been scoring goals lately. Lets see what happens.

trainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Mancouver
Locked in the Washer

I thought this guy retired.

Mancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 06:47 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Only Yashin is beast enough to get paid on 2 separate contracts.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 06:00 AM
tony d
Summer Camp

Yeah, I think Nabby goes to the Islanders, re-proves himself as a #1 goalie and probably gets traded to a contender that needs a goalie at the trade deadline.

08-03-2011, 06:10 AM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
How about him signing a huge muli-year deal in the KHL and walking away from that commitment??? .
I don't support Nabby on his Islanders decision, but his decision to leave the KHL was because his family was miserable there. You can't use that as a fault of character. If anything, it should be used as praise for how much he cares about his family. He left 4+ million a year because his family didn't like it in Russia.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 08:30 AM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post

Stats are meaningless in the playoffs especially at key position like goaltending...see Lalime, Patrick stats in career 41 playoff games GAA 1.77 SV% .926 and 5 shutouts That is right he is a legend right? Wrong, a career journeymen and back-up everywhere else. His playoff stats destroy those of Nabokov, and it does not make him a great goaltender.

It is when you make the saves and if you can win the big ones and steal games if you have to.

That is a poor attempt in trying to make out a guy who's been on waivers look like a legend.

Last edited by 4thliner*: 08-03-2011 at 08:41 AM.
4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 08:34 AM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOTails View Post
I believe you do realize Nabby's services were much more expensive than Niemi's? So the management decided to invest more in skaters instead of goalies. Plus he didn't do well in playoffs, he was mediocre and no one wants to pay a lot to mediocre players.
That's why he went to KHL but eventually failed. What can you say.. ***** happens. But still you can't blame him for refusing to play for Isels cause no one would.
Well that was my point

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 09:08 AM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
If he REALLY wanted to play for the RedWings, he would have done so before inking that KHL contract. He knew all of the risks and did it anyway. This is just part of being a professional athlete. Just stop dude.
This is the crazy part in all of this. If your job told you "hey, i know you live here in California, but tomorrow, you have to show up for work in Alberta" 99% of the people on this board would flip. But with a sports player, you see them as slaves.

Everyone has a right to have a say in where they will live. Sorry.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 09:30 AM
denis

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroob View Post
This is the crazy part in all of this. If your job told you "hey, i know you live here in California, but tomorrow, you have to show up for work in Alberta" 99% of the people on this board would flip. But with a sports player, you see them as slaves.

Right, after all, major corporations never transfer key executives to other locations. Oh, wait, they do. No one is a slave. Nabakov, like any key executive that doesn't like a transfer, is fully free to quit.

Last edited by denis: 08-03-2011 at 09:43 AM.
denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:04 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Poor guy, has to play in order to raise his trade value to get traded. Bad thing is the team in front of him might work against him.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 12:28 PM
trainwreck

Quote:

He does have every right to live where he wants. He instead chose to play for the NHL, which only has 30 franchises. The business he is in requires travel and relocation. He can quit that profession any time he likes just like he did last year. You can see that as slavery, I suppose. I'd see it as living the dream.

trainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 12:32 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Poor guy, has to play in order to raise his trade value to get traded. Bad thing is the team in front of him might work against him.
Yeahh Right think how much better Queen Henriks stats would look if he didnt have to play for the Rags......He has to pretty much get a shutout every night....Poor guy

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Roamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
From the article: "I wish we had better communication between the Islanders and me, but it was a tough decision for me that I couldn't help."

LOL didn't Garth call him like several times and he never returned his calls?

Pretty hypocritical. But he has no other choice I guess...
You know, not that I'm defending this at all, but he never blamed Garth Snow.
Wishing for better communication covers a lot.

I don't pick up calls from numbers I don't recognize. Might be something as silly as that.

Roamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Good luck Nabokov.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:40 PM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainwreck View Post
He does have every right to live where he wants. He instead chose to play for the NHL, which only has 30 franchises. The business he is in requires travel and relocation. He can quit that profession any time he likes just like he did last year. You can see that as slavery, I suppose. I'd see it as living the dream.
The difference being, If McDonalds tells me i need to go work at the Burger King across town, i'm allowed to quit and go to work at Wendy's across the street instead. In the NHL/professional sports, that's not allowed to happen.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
The difference being, If McDonalds tells me i need to go work at the Burger King across town, i'm allowed to quit and go to work at Wendy's across the street instead. In the NHL/professional sports, that's not allowed to happen.
These guys make a ****-ton of money even at minimum wage. I don't care what Nabby wanted.

Riseonfire is online now   Reply With Quote