HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nabokov to join Islanders

Old
08-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Phuthbert86

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
A classic moment with Nabby, Randy and Drew:

LMAO that bone's not connected to the thigh bone...

But really, he's the best goalie on the Isle's roster. He gives them the best chance to win. DP will be the back-up until he pulls something charting shots on goal from the bench. Then Montoya steps up to be the back up, and Poulin gets another year of conditioning in the minors.

Phuthbert86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:39 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroob View Post
This is the crazy part in all of this. If your job told you "hey, i know you live here in California, but tomorrow, you have to show up for work in Alberta" 99% of the people on this board would flip. But with a sports player, you see them as slaves.

Everyone has a right to have a say in where they will live. Sorry.
Wow...I'm sure if you said it was in order to "play NHL hockey", a large majority of the board would jump on that chance. You can quit your job; you're not being packed up on a boat; one of my friends had to move to Chicago to keep his job, is he a slave now?

Nobody forced Nabokov to sign the SPC he signed (or the contract with his KHL team.) In the SPC (Standard Player's Contract), it specifically states that the contract can be assigned to another team. It's not really different from getting traded. It should also be noted that the player wasn't dragged to Long Island and thrown to the ice.

The only thing that was done to Nabokov was that he must honor the contract he signed if he wants to play in the NHL. That is it. *Gasp* The man has to honor the contract that he signed in order to play for an NHL team. Call the ****ing police!

....the McDonald's example is just as ridiculous as the above comment. If a player signed a standard "Fast Food League" contract that stated he could be assigned to any other "Food Team", then he knew that when he presumably read the contract and signed it.

The only thing that someone could argue would be this, "Why can't I quit my job and leave for another one in the same industry?" Well, I'll tell you why, because the NHL is to a certain extent a monopoly and many of the leagues in the world are in collusion with each other. If you want to talk about that not being fair, then so be it. Of course, a player might face civil penalties for breach of contract...including specific performance, which might request that the player honor his contract.

That said, the monopolistic powers/interleague collusion are some of the reasons why teams have any kind of reasonable continuity and players aren't consistently getting poached from one league to another for various reasons.

This post is for educational purposes. Please forgive the tone if it's a bit ornery, but this **** really irks me.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 04:50 PM
trainwreck

Quote:
The difference being, If McDonalds tells me i need to go work at the Burger King across town, i'm allowed to quit and go to work at Wendy's across the street instead. In the NHL/professional sports, that's not allowed to happen.
Yes. There is a bunch of rules in the NHL of where/when you can play and when you are free to choose. When he signed the agreement to join the NHLPA, he agreed to them all. Nobody tricked him. Nobody coerced him. He willingly agreed to the rules. Even now, nobody is holding a gun to his head. He still doesn't have to play. He is not a slave, but a businessman.

trainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 06:20 AM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
Stats are meaningless in the playoffs especially at key position like goaltending...see Lalime, Patrick stats in career 41 playoff games GAA 1.77 SV% .926 and 5 shutouts That is right he is a legend right? Wrong, a career journeymen and back-up everywhere else. His playoff stats destroy those of Nabokov, and it does not make him a great goaltender.

It is when you make the saves and if you can win the big ones and steal games if you have to.
Nabokov: 40 wins (23rd all-time), Lalime: 21 wins (56th). Sorry but Nabby's playoff resume is formidable. Blame for playoff series losses is largely subjective, so I can tell you, having watched every playoff game Nabby played, he was rarely the team's biggest issue in any series. Most often, he was the reason the team had a chance to win when it wasn't playing competitively.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
If Nabakov is even a shell of his former self despite Montoya playing great down the stretch, I think THIS makes the Isles a legitimate playoff team.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Roamin

Quote:
The difference being, If McDonalds tells me i need to go work at the Burger King across town, i'm allowed to quit and go to work at Wendy's across the street instead. In the NHL/professional sports, that's not allowed to happen.
Burger joints aren't apart of a revenue sharing league and there are no contract obligations to keep working for the above burger joint for x number of years.

Roamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Nabokov did not sign a contract to play with the Isles. End of story. Very disrespectful on Snow's part but what else is new. Hopefully the next CBA deals with this issue an allows players freedom of movement.

Fehr Time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 12:18 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fehr Time View Post
Nabokov did not sign a contract to play with the Isles. End of story. Very disrespectful on Snow's part but what else is new. Hopefully the next CBA deals with this issue an allows players freedom of movement.
That shows your poor judgment because there was nothing wrong with Snow's actions and I don't even like the Islanders. Nabokov and Detroit clearly knew the risk when they agreed to a contract.

CN_paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 12:27 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
That shows your poor judgment because there was nothing wrong with Snow's actions and I don't even like the Islanders. Nabokov and Detroit clearly knew the risk when they agreed to a contract.

Lol, you think Nabokov left the KHL to come back to the Islanders though? For $570,00? Lol. Nope, bad move by Snow. I have to think Holland has a filthy offersheet already drawn up for Tavares.

Old
08-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Roamin

Fehr Time? More like Troll Time.

Old
08-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin View Post

Nice reply. Since when is bringing up the fact that a player should be able to sign where they please 'trolling'?

Old
08-04-2011, 12:41 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:

Lol, you think Nabokov left the KHL to come back to the Islanders though? For $570,00? Lol. Nope, bad move by Snow. I have to think Holland has a filthy offersheet already drawn up for Tavares.
Wow!!!! Little animosity? Did snow fool around with your girl or something?

I really dont think Holland gives a crap enough to be that vindictive.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 01:05 PM
LuminousNYI

Quote:

I'm sure he didn't leave the KHL to come to the Islanders, in fact someone mentioned he left partly for his family's sake. The Isles started 6 goalies last year. Yes they traded Roloson, but DP (as always) and Poulin were injured. So adding Nabakov was actually a smart move by Garth. Who, by the way, was such a **** that he traded Roloson to Tampa who then went on a nice little playoff run. Wow, what a ****! Now if he plays here and does well he might have a shot either at the deadline or the following season to play for a different team.

I'm sure I wouldn't be too happy if I signed somewhere and another team claimed me, but I am pretty sure he understood the risks when he did sign. Not saying it is perfect for Nabakov, but I would say he wasn't completely unaware of this.

LuminousNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

[B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post

I really dont think Holland gives a crap enough to be that vindictive.
[/B

So when your GM takes a player from another team it is 'just business' but if another GM does that to your player it's animosity? Well then...

Old
08-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Roamin

Quote:

Nice reply. Since when is bringing up the fact that a player should be able to sign where they please 'trolling'?
When you're then told why this happened and the rules that apply and you ignore this and continue trolling.

Old
08-04-2011, 01:19 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
[B][/B

So when your GM takes a player from another team it is 'just business' but if another GM does that to your player it's animosity? Well then...
It was done to the Islanders before by the Blue Jackets when the Islanders tred to get back Dubielewicz from Europe. There was nothing anyone can do but you move on and find a different route to go in. IT IS PART OF THE GAME AND PART OF PLAYING IN THIS LEAGUE. It is clause in the CBA and in the contract. Its not a loophole that teams exploit. It prevent teams from selecvting players that went to europe for the season from coming to the league for just the playoffs.

He could have stayed a FA and waited out the season if he didnt want to take the chance he would be claimed. It was HIS CHOICE to sign a standard league players contract knowing he may get claimed and have to report to another team. His agent said before the ink was dry that he would play for any team that claimed him. So he fully knew the risks.

Old
08-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Brunomics

You know who else got a raw deal just like Nabokov? Adam Banks! He was on that dynamic Hawks team and ended up being relegated to the Ducks. It's criminal I tell ya!

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Nashology

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
Wow...I'm sure if you said it was in order to "play NHL hockey", a large majority of the board would jump on that chance. You can quit your job; you're not being packed up on a boat; one of my friends had to move to Chicago to keep his job, is he a slave now?

Nobody forced Nabokov to sign the SPC he signed (or the contract with his KHL team.) In the SPC (Standard Player's Contract), it specifically states that the contract can be assigned to another team. It's not really different from getting traded. It should also be noted that the player wasn't dragged to Long Island and thrown to the ice.

The only thing that was done to Nabokov was that he must honor the contract he signed if he wants to play in the NHL. That is it. *Gasp* The man has to honor the contract that he signed in order to play for an NHL team. Call the ****ing police!

....the McDonald's example is just as ridiculous as the above comment. If a player signed a standard "Fast Food League" contract that stated he could be assigned to any other "Food Team", then he knew that when he presumably read the contract and signed it.

The only thing that someone could argue would be this, "Why can't I quit my job and leave for another one in the same industry?" Well, I'll tell you why, because the NHL is to a certain extent a monopoly and many of the leagues in the world are in collusion with each other. If you want to talk about that not being fair, then so be it. Of course, a player might face civil penalties for breach of contract...including specific performance, which might request that the player honor his contract.

That said, the monopolistic powers/interleague collusion are some of the reasons why teams have any kind of reasonable continuity and players aren't consistently getting poached from one league to another for various reasons.

We would give anything to play in the NHL because we don't play in the NHL. He has been there for 10 years. Terrible comparison.

This post is for educational purposes. Please forgive the tone if it's a bit ornery, but this **** really irks me.

Mitch

Terrible, terrible post.

Nabokov is not the same as the general hockey viewing public. He is a veteran NHL goaltender. He has made tens of millions of dollars. He gave up ALOT to leave the KHL and come back to North America to be with his family. Clearly money means little to him. He came back to win a cup. He took a shot by signing with the DRW and it failed. Big deal. I can go apply to 10 jobs and maybe 3 will want to hire me. I will blow 2 off and accept 1 of them. Maybe I won't accept any. It's my choice. Just like this is Nabby's.

Nashology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashology View Post
Terrible, terrible post.

Nabokov is not the same as the general hockey viewing public. He is a veteran NHL goaltender. He has made tens of millions of dollars. He gave up ALOT to leave the KHL and come back to North America to be with his family. Clearly money means little to him. He came back to win a cup. He took a shot by signing with the DRW and it failed. Big deal. I can go apply to 10 jobs and maybe 3 will want to hire me. I will blow 2 off and accept 1 of them. Maybe I won't accept any. It's my choice. Just like this is Nabby's.
What does all this have to do with the rule that if he signed on midseason after being with the KHL he has to pass through waivers? It's in the CBA and even though people don't like it they still have understand it and abide by it instead of *****ing and moaning(not saying you per say).

It's just how it is and this is how the business side of the game goes. People really need to get over this. You would think that Snow clubbed him and dragged him off to the Island.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

It's funny that Nabokov says now that he's willing to suit up for the Islanders. If he had waited until now to make a return in the first place, or agreed to play when the Islanders picked him up from Detroit, he could've signed with Detroit with no problems.

If he plays as he did before, then the Islanders should definitely be in playoff contention.

Neil Patrick Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 09:06 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 09:24 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
Had that exact picture in mind when I made my statement

Old
08-05-2011, 12:53 AM
Bill Omie*

Quote:
If you say so. Read a rule book. End of story

Bill Omie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 12:54 AM
Bill Omie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin View Post
Shazammmm!!!

Bill Omie* is offline   Reply With Quote